Ellis............

how-are-you10.gif

Hahaha! This just made my morning. :biggrin-new:

I'm doing pretty well. Haven't gotten around to log in here for a few days -- just time running away from me a bit.

Went to the gym on Monday and Wednesday, and I'm planning to go again today. Seriuously thinking about changing gyms, though. The one I usually go to is very small and they have classes in the gym most days between 5-7. Which means that it's difficult to use TRX-bands and bars (and boxes) at those times. This makes planning a bit more difficult, since I can't always get away on my lunch break or early in the afternoons.

I'm also thinking about adding some sort of short HIT-like cardio exercise at the end of my routines. Getting tired of the jumping jacks and the rope jumping. Perhaps rowing or some sort of boxing? Will have to do a bit of research.

... just realized it's already 8 o'clock. Have to get to work. Will have to check in on everyone else's quests later today. Happy Friday! :onthego:

• Like 4

"There are some good things to be said about walking. Not many, but some. Walking takes longer, for example, than any other known form of locomotion except crawling. Thus it stretches time and prolongs life. Life is already too short to waste on speed." Edward Abbey

Tonight's revelation: after three months of eating mostly paleo, I apparantly don't like beer anymore? Is this what I signed up for? Hmm. Perhaps it's temporary.

Tonight's soundtrack:

https://youtu.be/VdV1Zc_PFdg

• Like 3

"There are some good things to be said about walking. Not many, but some. Walking takes longer, for example, than any other known form of locomotion except crawling. Thus it stretches time and prolongs life. Life is already too short to waste on speed." Edward Abbey

I'm not actually on any sort of seven-day binge (re: Manson-video), but two nights of socializing this week have kind of messed with my stats. Food's been a bit wonky, slept in two days (only half an hour each time, but still) and I've had to buy lunch out because of poor planning.

(so. bad?)

Well, not really. Caught up with a great friend on Wednesday and talked for hours (inbetween drinking too much wine and smoking too many cigarettes) and had a good night out with the dude yesterday. So, it's good. Also, I noticed that -- even when I was a bit hungover on Thursday and mentally gave myself a free pass to eat crap, I didn't actually feel like eating crap and knew that it wouldn't really help. Mental progress! Adulting! Well ... somewhat.

I think my weakest point so far in the challenge is actually the running. All my runs so far have been very short. It really feels like I've only just managed to get them in, and I've only done the bare minimum that would allow me to honestly mark it in my progress bar. The truth of it is, that I'm not in good running shape and every run feels heavier than I expect. And since I don't have a good plan for it, I'm not really improving.

(and the Advent running-challenge starts in a bit over a week. still doing it?)

Yes. It's going to be hard, but if I'm not ready to run every day, I'll just have to walk some of the time. If nothing else, I think it'll help me get back into running. Time will probably be the biggest issue, but I'll just have to squeeze it in. Last December was a very stressful time as well, and I found the running really helped improve my mood and stability then. I'm hoping the same will be true this year.

On a different note, it just got cold over here. Winter arrived over night. Starting to look forward to snow and Christmas and holidays now. Yay :)

• Like 3

Yeah. Winter is coming. Wonder where I heard that? [emoji13]

Be sure to take plenty of rest. I heard that one of the best way to beat a cold is to take a lot of fresh air... instead of marinating in your own... well... you know [emoji28]

• Like 1

Winwaloeus, level 3 ranger

STATS : STR 7 | STA 9 | DEX 2 | CON 9 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

My introduction is Here - My Battle Log is There - 6wc I - 6wc II - 4wc III - 4wc IIII (ongoing)

Main goal : lose excess fat down to 14% (currently, i look roughly like a : 20 to 25 -according to many sites offering pictures for comparison)

current 4wc progress :

Goal 1 : walk !!! (2h27 out of a minimum 12)

20%
20%

Goal 2 : Sprint (1 out of 4)

25%
25%

Goal 3 : Lift (2 out of 12)

20%
20%

Life Goal : History work (3 out of 12 )

25%
25%

The return of the alter ego inner voice!  Yes!  Glad to hear you are still getting the gym on and socializing (I try not to look at socializing as a way to mess with my stats but it sometimes does feel that way...). In other words....sounds like you've 'bean' great!  

Just a quick message before I head to bed, but alternative cardio in the routine sounds like a good idea. The website does suggest shuttle runs and burpee type things, but I don't think I am there yet! I feel like that would bring to life too many nightmare gym classes from high school. 

Have a great weekend!

• Like 2

Level 5 Warrior

Battle Log Challenge 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

On a Quest to Complete a Full Push Up....the Story of a Person who has Negligible Upper Body Strength

The return of the alter ego inner voice!  Yes!  Glad to hear you are still getting the gym on and socializing (I try not to look at socializing as a way to mess with my stats but it sometimes does feel that way...). In other words....sounds like you've 'bean' great!  

Just a quick message before I head to bed, but alternative cardio in the routine sounds like a good idea. The website does suggest shuttle runs and burpee type things, but I don't think I am there yet! I feel like that would bring to life too many nightmare gym classes from high school. 

Ha! Yeah, me too ... I know burpees are supposed to be great and all that, but I can't motivate myself to do them. Bleh. I tried doing five minutes of rowing before and after my routine today and kind of liked it. Next time I think I'm going to skip the before-session (went out a bit too hard and ended up feeling weaker than normal for my sorry pull-up excuses), but a quick session after seems like a good idea. :)

Sounds like the advent running is going to be just the thing you need.   ;)    And yeah, winter has arrived rather suddenly here as well!

I think so! Winter is probably ten times worse where you're at, but do you also always get this weird feeling on the first day of it being really cold, where you just go "oh, is this how it was?! we actually *live* with this for three months?!" ... I think I need a new coat. Possibly a pair of ski pants.

As for running, I promise to give you lots of "likes" and plenty of silly faces if you join RunKeeper.

Where do I find the Advent running thing? Somewhere here in the forums? Is it just at least 1 mile every day?

Thanks! I'll consider getting RunKeeper just for that. ;) I have an irrational and paranoid aversion to apps that track where I am (at least so that I notice it ...) but have thought about getting over it if it means training will be more fun/easier/sillier.

Here's the article that made me check out Advent Running last year. The idea is simply to run (or walk) for at least 30 minutes every day of Advent. The rest of the year, they're a London-based running group that gets up to a bunch of crazy stuff like marathons and ultras, but for Advent there's people from all over and of all levels just sharing pictures on Facebook and checking in with little stories. Very Christmas-y and inspiring. :) You should check out the FB page as it approaches. ;)

• Like 1

Quick progress report for week three:

Quest 1: Strength

Three out of three! Push-ups feel good, squats and lunges feel good, planks feel good. Inverted rows same as ever. Dips, pull-ups and hanging knee-tucks make me feel a bit silly and very weak. Wrists hurt a bit. Is this something to worry about? Realized I might need gloves. Happy about this. Gym gloves are cool.

I'm thinking a reward if I manage this for all six weeks might be to get some new gym clothes. Except for gloves, I need new pants. Found a pair at the bottom of my closet and thought (as you do!) "oh, cool -- why haven't I worn these in so long?" and then remembered that they're cut really low and have no drawstring-thing. It's difficult to do prisoner squats trying to hold your pants up with one hand.

Quest 2: Cardio/stamina

One out of two. Meh. Got into a good work flow on Sunday and couldn't find the motivation to go outside all day.

Quest 3: Sleep (or not, as it were)

Five out of seven. Hungover on Thursday and staying over at a friend's, so slept in 'til 7:30. Got up at 7:30 on Saturday too. No biggie. Feels good, overall. Mornings are less stressful, to the point where I sometimes get up and can't quite figure out what to do. I think this is a good thing.

Quest 4: No spending

Five out of seven. Had to buy lunch out on Thursday (see: hungover+staying at friend's) and ate dinner out on Friday. Also pretty good, I reckon.

• Like 3

Thanks! I'll consider getting RunKeeper just for that. ;) I have an irrational and paranoid aversion to apps that track where I am (at least so that I notice it ...) but have thought about getting over it if it means training will be more fun/easier/sillier.

Here's the article that made me check out Advent Running last year. The idea is simply to run (or walk) for at least 30 minutes every day of Advent. The rest of the year, they're a London-based running group that gets up to a bunch of crazy stuff like marathons and ultras, but for Advent there's people from all over and of all levels just sharing pictures on Facebook and checking in with little stories. Very Christmas-y and inspiring. :) You should check out the FB page as it approaches. ;)

Should I tell you that your phone is always potentially tracking where you're at all of the time anyhow?

Seriously, you can adjust the privacy settings however you like in RunKeeper for sharing purposes.

I thought the gps tracking was weird to begin with, but it is immensely satisfying to see lines on a map when I'm done with a run, see pace info and all that, and be able to take a post-run photo documenting the experience, either of something in the environment or of myself exhausted post-run! For a long while, I used it alone with no audience.

Within the past few months, it has been fun following along with Winwaloeus and originalpiratematerial over there, making it even better and making my selfies even more embarrassing. (Win also uses it to track all of his workouts, not just running.)

Join us!

Thus ends my RunKeeper sales pitch. :-p

I'm gonna go check out that Advent Running article now!

• Like 2

Oh, I know. Did some tricksy settings to my phone, but I'm aware that they don't really make a big difference. Your sales pitch was very effective, and I am now seriously considering it. Will let you know. :)

• Like 2

I'm thinking a reward if I manage this for all six weeks might be to get some new gym clothes. Except for gloves, I need new pants. Found a pair at the bottom of my closet and thought (as you do!) "oh, cool -- why haven't I worn these in so long?" and then remembered that they're cut really low and have no drawstring-thing. It's difficult to do prisoner squats trying to hold your pants up with one hand.

Brilliant week 3 Ellis!

I am starting to have to pull up my pants after trying to jump rope....it's ridiculous!

I think new gym clothes is a great reward. I am planning on getting some next week as a reward for last/this challenge...only because I'll be in a big city. Way to go!

• Like 1

Level 5 Warrior

On a Quest to Complete a Full Push Up....the Story of a Person who has Negligible Upper Body Strength

Ha! Yeah, me too ... I know burpees are supposed to be great and all that, but I can't motivate myself to do them. Bleh. I tried doing five minutes of rowing before and after my routine today and kind of liked it. Next time I think I'm going to skip the before-session (went out a bit too hard and ended up feeling weaker than normal for my sorry pull-up excuses), but a quick session after seems like a good idea. :)

I think so! Winter is probably ten times worse where you're at, but do you also always get this weird feeling on the first day of it being really cold, where you just go "oh, is this how it was?! we actually *live* with this for three months?!" ... I think I need a new coat. Possibly a pair of ski pants.

Thanks! I'll consider getting RunKeeper just for that. ;) I have an irrational and paranoid aversion to apps that track where I am (at least so that I notice it ...) but have thought about getting over it. ;)

Don't worry it's not the app that ll track you. It's just us! [emoji13]

Envoyé de mon RAINBOW en utilisant Tapatalk

• Like 2

My introduction is Here - My Battle Log is There - 6wc I - 6wc II - 4wc III - 4wc IIII (ongoing)

Main goal : lose excess fat down to 14% (currently, i look roughly like a : 20 to 25 -according to many sites offering pictures for comparison)

current 4wc progress :

20%
20%

25%
25%

20%
20%

25%
25%

Quick progress report for week three:

Quest 1: Strength

Three out of three! Push-ups feel good, squats and lunges feel good, planks feel good. Inverted rows same as ever. Dips, pull-ups and hanging knee-tucks make me feel a bit silly and very weak. Wrists hurt a bit. Is this something to worry about? Realized I might need gloves. Happy about this. Gym gloves are cool.

I'm thinking a reward if I manage this for all six weeks might be to get some new gym clothes. Except for gloves, I need new pants.

Great work! I don't think I have ever had wrist pain from doing pull-ups, but I can definitely see it that it could happen from doing dips. Do you have any wrist exercises in your warm-up? Maybe 30secs of rotating your wrists in each direction would be helpful here. I'm sure that there are also some good wrist strengthening exercises out there too if this continues to be a problem.

Nice idea with the rewards for being successful.

• Like 1

Wood Elf Ranger - Level 10

STR 11.75|DEX 11.5|STA 9.25|CON 11|WIS 11.25|CHA 8.5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Very smart reward idea !

Envoyé de mon RAINBOW en utilisant Tapatalk

• Like 1

current 4wc progress :

20%
20%

25%
25%

20%
20%

25%
25%

I totally get winter amnesia as well.  I'm always surprised at how uncomfortably cold I am.  Ha!  The husband and I have decided to maintain a Norwegian attitude this winter though, so I'm not allowed to disparage the cold...

Oh, cool. :) I like the idea, and mindset does make a huge difference. I like winter because it gives me a reason to stay in and cozy up as they state in the article, but the other important point I tend to forget is how crucial it is to get outside and move around as well. Also, the city I'm in usually has a mix of very cold winter days and mild but rainy and super windy days -- and out of the two, proper winter weather is definitely preferable!

Brilliant week 3 Ellis!

I am starting to have to pull up my pants after trying to jump rope....it's ridiculous!

I think new gym clothes is a great reward. I am planning on getting some next week as a reward for last/this challenge...only because I'll be in a big city. Way to go!

Thanks! Overall, there's a lot of potential for embarrasment with the rope jumping, I feel. ;) I haven't dared try the double skip-maneuvre yet. Fear it might end badly. I hope you find some cool stuff in the city!

Great work! I don't think I have ever had wrist pain from doing pull-ups, but I can definitely see it that it could happen from doing dips. Do you have any wrist exercises in your warm-up? Maybe 30secs of rotating your wrists in each direction would be helpful here. I'm sure that there are also some good wrist strengthening exercises out there too if this continues to be a problem.

Nice idea with the rewards for being successful.

Yes, dips were the main perpetrator, I think. Wrist ideas seem like a great idea. Do you think they might also strengthen one's wrists with regards to strain from typing? Because my wrists do get a bit tired from that, too and I would really like to try to counteract that a bit. HMm. Thanks for the advice! The pull-u quest continues ... ;)

Quick update time! Went to the gym on Monday and Wednesday, nothing much to report -- except that I did a short but intense rowing session after my usual routine yesterday, and it felt great. Since my routine now consists of a fair few things I can't really do properly, I think it's good to add a bit of high-intensity stuff. Does that make sense? What I mean is that, with circuit training -- if your goal is to burn fat and improve cardiovascular function as well as build some muscle -- you should be moving along fairly quickly and do several reps. Since I am now struggling with dips and negative pull-ups, the tempo is lower and I'm only doing three or four reps of some exercises. So fat-burning and cardio might suffer a bit? That's the idea, in any event.

Ran home from work today -- or rather, I ran to a different ferry stop than I usually go to and then got on the boat (and pestered the other passengers with my sweaty self) and then ran from the ferry => home. All in all, about 30 minutes. Felt pretty good. Might do this more often. Very beautiful afternoon to run along the harbour.

Got paid yesterday and bought theatre tickets (Hamlet!), shampoo and lunch out. Went to a pub quiz in the evening, but didn't spend any money, since our team won a couple of weeks ago and had a gift card. Won again, so next time will be free as well. Ha!

Okay, this is getting long for a quick update -- but I have to also write that my colleague (whom my recruit friends will remember from the last challenge) bought one of these for our office:

hoppboll-lila.jpg

I'm very excited about it. We already have a balance board thing and try to remind each other to stretch and stuff throughout the work day. Have talked about the possibilites of getting a boxing sack as well for extra frustrating days. It's a huge office and there's no one around but us, so it's a really good place for working on getting some more movement in instead of just sitting down all day.

• Like 3

Hey Ellis about the circuit training and fat burning, you can read this very interesting article at marks daily apple which stresses that resistance training alone gives the best results, above circuit training (which are fine anyway) and way above cardio. That's partly why i switched to regular sets i my bodyweight, and because it helps me to focus more on each exercise to not have to pick up my lungs in the middle of it !!!  :nonchalance: 

you're doing great ! come to runkeeper !!! (look, i'm already staking you and you did not even check in yet ! technology is wonderful!)

• Like 2

current 4wc progress :

20%
20%

25%
25%

20%
20%

25%
25%

I won't wade into the strength vs. cardio vs. mixed topic. Do what makes you happy.

I will say that what is MOST important is always diet. It is where I consistently fail, whether I'm focusing on strength or endurance. I know from experience that you cannot outlift or outrun your diet.

I doubt I'll ever run a marathon. I love the feeling while running (and I rarely really push the pace) past 8 miles or so when I've settled into a run and I finally feel at peace with running, at peace with my body, and feel good about most things. It's definitely a "runner's high."

It's also just one foot in front of the other.

Overall, I think that I would give the edge to serious skill work. If I had the discipline, I'd love to start something like the Gold Medal Bodies gymnastics programs. I'm actually thinking about splurging on their "elements" program after I've finished with my Half training. The weird thing about these sub-forums is that I don't really feel like I fit in any of them.

I'm definitely scouting right now so belong there, but maybe I'm a perpetual "adventurer," never having a real permanent home, a little interested in all areas but master of none of them.

Ah, sorry to start rambling about myself there. Forgot for a moment that I was in your thread! Your self-examining got me to self-examining!

:-)

• Like 2

It took me a moment to figure out what weird sort of Christmas ornament that thing was and then I realized you have such a fun office!  Nice!

Run along the harbour? Yes Please!

Also your method of paying for your nights out by continually winning the pub quiz seems like solid financial planning. Way to go!

• Like 1

Level 5 Warrior

I won't wade into the strength vs. cardio vs. mixed topic. Do what makes you happy.

I will say that what is MOST important is always diet. It is where I consistently fail, whether I'm focusing on strength or endurance. I know from experience that you cannot outlift or outrun your diet.

:-)

You're hundred percent right trawler but what I wanted to point out that if your goal is maximizing fat burning you don't have to sacrifice the focus of sheer strength training by doing exercises in a circuit if you don't like it particularly.

But first you of course gotta eat real food and exercise how you like and have as much fun as possible!

current 4wc progress :

20%
20%

25%
25%

20%
20%

25%
25%