Stick 'Em With The Pointy End - Battle Tome!

So, I have been very successful so far with going outside every day while I'm at work! I've been doing decently well at taking time for meditation. Still not doing my "body awareness" exercises. I may just abandon that one . . . 

We got a Kinect for Christmas and just downloaded the dancing game that came with it. It's actually quite a workout! I may start doing that for exercise more often.

Congratulations on your success and taking time for your self healing, Paladin! Oh my goodness, those dance games can be an AMAZING work out and an AMAZING amount of fun. Let me know how that goes! :D

(I want DDR so bad. Buuuuut I gotta wait until I have the space, and the money to buy a TV screen. Siiiiiiiiiiigh.)

Solunaria

of Stick 'Em With The Pointy End

Previous Challenge

Friends! We have been friends for a while. I have feelings and am in a big life place thing that is highly affecting all of my challenge goals! And I feel like I'd like you to KNOW about this stuff.

So are you ready to learn some stuff about my life and feelings? EXCELLENT!

MY NEW BED COMES TODAY! I am very excited about it. I'm in a state of four transitions all at once, and all of them are like WOW THIS WOULD BE BIG JUST IN AND OF ITSELF but also has a deep element of awesome.

1. Mentally: I'm in the middle of a MOVE to an entire part of a country. I have to get a new job, make a new resume that isn't a year old and way out of balance, I need to conform to a new way of life. I'm living with new people, in a new area, that I know nothing about. Every habit and environmental piece is new and jarring and strange and I have to surf it in order to live here. Get a job, move in, make it work, figure it out. That's crazy.

But also, I'm in the midsts of a COMPLETE personality transformation. I'm washed away all of the jumbled up mess that was my old perceptions and expectations for myself, and am looking at my whole life and self anew. What do I like? Who do I want to be? What do I care about? What is important to me? These are all questions I'm struggling through, with few colors to guide me.

Element of awesome: I'm refreshed! I'm new! I get to become a whole person! I get to explore the world and be reborn into the kind of person I want to be! That's SO AWESOME.

But also: This would be a massive undertaking on it's own, with the other three perfectly and totally stable.

2. Medically: I have massive ADHD! Whooo! I've known since forever and have refused to go on meds due to childhood conditioning, pride, and bad experiences with ADHD meds in the past. But then I went on meds for a few weeks. And my whole world view and self-view changed. All of my paradigms shifted. I never realized how much was wrong until it was right.

But now not only am I in a state of neurochemical limbo, they weren't able to put through my meds on time and I'm on day 2 of a little over a week that I now have to function without them, and I feel part-crazy, because everything is harder again. It's stressful and jarring and I want my meds back. Medically, I'm in this trial of transition, where I gotta loop back and then loop back again and then get long-term conditioned and there's just a LOT OF BRAIN SCIENCE STUFF GOING ON.

Element of awesome: Oh my god I found my meds! I found the secret to how to achieve the level expected of me and be a successful human being! I'm getting done what needs to be done, my meds are in the process of getting here to my new location, I know what I need and I'm on my way to getting it! That's amazing!!

But also: This would be a massive undertaking on it's own, with the other three perfectly and totally stable.

2. Physically: What the heck is my body. It's in a massive state of change, after a massive state of change, and I'm in the end game (for now) of transitioning OUT of that state of change that I've been putting it through for - in one paradigm - months, and - in another paradigm - YEARS.

Everything, physically, is different. The weight and carry of my body is different, NOTHING fits right, I need to completely re-think my wardobe, plus my hair is a different length and color now and it's staying in the vague vicinity of both and I'm re-meeting the person who I see in the mirror.

Element of awesome: I've lost like 25 pounds. I decided I needed to CHANGE some things like SERIOUSLY a couple years ago when I realized I had gone up from a size 10 jeans to 10 or 12 depending on the brand. I was wearing size 12 jeans. I was above the 160 line I had flirted close to for a decade. No.

And then yesterday I went shopping, and found I was a size 4. Size 12 to size 4. 161 lbs to 136 lbs. What an incredible success.

But also: The complete unfamiliarity of my body and image and how it works and what to wear would be a massive undertaking on it's own, with the other three perfectly and totally stable.

4. Relationship: I AM MOVING IN WITH MY SIGNIFICANT OTHER RIGHT NOW AND IT IS A BIG CHANGE AND WONDERFUL BUT ALSO WE'RE IN THE REALLY STRESSFUL PART WHERE EVERYTHING HAS TO CHANGE AND WE HAVE TO BE IN A RELATIONSHIP AND DO OUR LIVES AT THE SAME TIME AND WANT TO DO THINGS THE WAY WE'RE USED TO BUT... CAN'T. Because other person.

Element of awesome: Oh my god I have an amazing relationship and I am in love and we are stable and this is exciting and we got to go BED SHOPPING TOGETHER and it's so cute and grown up and I'm so happy to have reached this stage of a relationship I have so much faith in and adoration for!

But also: Oh my GOD this is a MASSIVE UNDERTAKING and would be so even if EVERYTHING ELSE was totally and completely chill.

And now you know. TA-DAAAAAA!

::collapses in a pile of excited and joyous STRESS::

Solunaria

Previous Challenge

I'm so excited for all the positive changes in your life! And I know it's hard but don't stress the little stuff :) with so many new changes I would personally use the challenges and habits that you have built as your sort of "rock" that keeps you grounded until everything settles into their new routines. Whenever you need to vent frustrations or excitement then feel free to do so here! I love to listen :)

Also congrats on your weight loss and moving in with your SO!!! My husband and I are still getting used to living together and it's almost been two years! It takes time to get used to but it is so much nicer when you don't have to say goodbye at the end of the night :)

Calanthia Cobbin: Level 3 Hobbit Ranger

Rogue of Stick 'Em With The Pointy End! 

STR: 2.13 | INT: 2.37 | DEX: 4.25 | STA: 11.23 | CON: 11.88 | WIS: 8.72 | CHA: 5.81  

My Epic Quest | Current Challenge | Past Challenges: 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7thFitbit

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~JRR Tolkien

Yay Sol! And also wow! That's so much stuff going on in your life! I can totally understand why this challenge may be somewhat on the back burner for you.

I don't have ADHD, but I do have depression & anxiety, and I can definitely commiserate about the joy of finding medication that helps your brain work right again. (You mean, life *doesn't* have to be this stressful? I can feel good about myself and confident in my life choices and not be wracked with panic all the time??)

I've been doing decently well on my goals. I'm better at them during work days than I am when I'm at home, mostly because I have more of a routine at work than I do at home. Also some friends from out of town stayed with us over the weekend, which was so fun! But bad for finding alone time to meditate.

Also I got tipped off that there are potentially massive changes going down in my department at work, and that I should probably start looking for a new job ASAP. So, you know. That's a thing. Somehow I don't feel worried about it right now, but I think it's partially because it hasn't sunk in yet. (and I've still got a sleep-deprivation hangover from my friends being in town, so it's hard to think straight in general.) Luckily I've got good references and good contacts, so I think I'll be okay. Still . . . 

Anyways, congrats on continuing to stick with it, everyone! We can do this!

"Then laugh, leaning back in my arms; For life's not a paragraph, And death, I think, is no parenthesis." ~ E.E. Cummings

Level 1 Tiefling Adventurer

Paladin of Stick 'Em With the Pointy End

Thanks for the support, Laurenji. <3

Hey Stick 'Em Adventurers! Checking on in. I'm making progress! My move-in is going fairly well, though there is still, of course, much to do!

I've basically settled on training with the Monks next challenge - and I'm not sure I'm even gonna COUNT "training with the Assassins" this month, because I didn't do any of the challenges, and didn't really interact with many assassin folk, and certainly didn't do any Assassiny quests.

I've been thinking a bit about rewards! Reward charts, and graspable things that I really want. And putting it right in front of me. I've especially been thinking about this since Calanthia mentioned the concept in her personal log.

Have you guys been working with a reward system at all?

Also: Laurenji! You haven't updated your personal log since the 6th! Is there anything I can do to help? :)

(Rainra is keeping a personal log, because she's avoiding computers as a rule, which is why her updates are infrequent. <3 )

Walk with Light,

~ Sol

Solunaria

Previous Challenge

I'm pretty positive I'll be an "Assassin-at-Heart, Training with the Druids" next challenge. Are any of you on the Academy? I joined it like two years ago and have barely made any progress, so I'm planning to incorporate it into my challenges! I'll be starting with tracking my food (but no calorie counting because that doesn't work for me!), not eating in front of a screen, some kind of stretching or basic yoga, and then by Sol's suggestion, going outside everyday for my emotional health life quest! 

I'm consistently in the "collecting underpants" aspect of coming up with rewards. I always SAY I'm going to do it, and I look up things online that would be good rewards, but then I say "that's too expensive" and turn off my computer and don't touch it again for another week or so... Maybe we can come up with some sample rewards on here? Maybe even a spreadsheet or reward-sheet format? 

STR: 2.13 | INT: 2.37 | DEX: 4.25 | STA: 11.23 | CON: 11.88 | WIS: 8.72 | CHA: 5.81  

My Epic Quest | Current Challenge | Past Challenges: 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7thFitbit

So we'll have an "Assassin at Heart, Training with the Druids", two "Assassin at Heart, Training with the Monks"'s (Rainra and I are starting Aikido next month).... hey Laurenji! Where will YOUR Assassin at Heart be training next month? Sticking with the Adventurers? :)

I have an Academy! But have the similar experience of getting almost nowhere. ::cracks open old window:: I might continue the monk page, and go back and re-do all the quests I skipped.

One of the most significant quests not done was my Big Why. I have an external incentive now, to get to Level 15, but each step of my quests is just... what does moving "forward" look like to me. What do I want to accomplish this month. (Granted, I haven't been doing this very long, but I've been doing it just long enough for it to have become a pattern.)

I don't actually know or see what these goals are leading or building towards. I'm not designing a ladder towards a shining, glittering landing. And I think that's why Steve's Epic Quest thing threw me so far and made me so jittery and upset. Because it stared me in the face with a, "SO WHAT'S YOUR BIG WHY, WHAT ARE YOU GOING FOR, WHAT'S YOUR END GOAL HERE".

I don't know!

I know that one of the three health quests next month is going to be "Controlled Release", where I return from the eating program I was on back into the realm of normal (AND ITALIAN) food. I know I want to stay aware of portion control and move back slowly and in a controlled manner, because I LIKE being a size 4. 

I know that another of the three health quests for next month is going to be "Blocking Out the Noise", in which I reduce time spent on the computer, how much coffee I'm drinking, and other things that make it difficult to listen to what my body is telling me and mess with my ability to sleep. Because I like sleep, and I like being in touch with my body.

But those things aren't Big Why's. "I like being a Size 4" and "I like sleep" and "I like being in touch with my body" neither hold massive influence over my psyche throughout states of impaired fuzziness and stress, nor do they paint an end location to be built towards. So then.... why am I doing these things?

Right now the armor around these goals is that once I start them, I have to stick with them - because there's a very fine, glittering prize that I want very much waiting for me once I reach Level 15. 

And that goal armor was enough to get me here. But I'd really rather have a Main Quest, you know?

Sincerely,

~ Sol

Solunaria

Previous Challenge

Part of my big why (which is a paragraph of me rambling and cursing) is that I want to FEEL good about the way I look and I want my body to FEEL healthy, so I think that saying you like the way you feel at size 4 could at the very least be a good temporary goal for you until you determine a direction that you would like to go in

Hey friendlifriends! This is your Bard speaking!

Things that motivate me:

• Connection to others
  • Feeling like what I do matters
  • Being able to show my shiny accomplishments to people

Calanthia! You're super present and great and into updating and reading other people's things! It seems like community and connection really motivates you. Would you like to start having phone call check-ins from your Bard every few days or every morning at a time? 

Laurenji! You seem to not update much, and I'd love to know what's going on with you. It seems like it's not that easy for you to update regularly here, just like Rainra! Would you like to start having phone call check-ins from your Bard every few days or every morning at a time? 

Rainra! I'm going to continue to pep talk at you every morning whether you like it or not. <3

I am so good at pep talks! And it will make me feel like y'all are listening, and that I'm helping!

So let me know if you want to start having TALK check-ins! Much easier than posting, and MUCH more immediate.

I'm going to send you guys my number in a private message.

Love you all! Good luck!

~ Sol

Solunaria

Previous Challenge

LOVE the idea of phone check-ins! I sent my number in the PM! I have pretty bad phone anxiety so I'm hoping this will help me overcome that :) and like I mentioned in the PM I am always open to text messages too! and thanks about the mileage :) I've been working on it since May and I'm almost to Rivendell on my Walk to Mordor challenge! :)

Sorry I don't update much! It's been kind of rough for me the past week, as I'm spending all my spare time applying to jobs. I added my number to the PM, although I forgot to say that I'm in Central time, so adjust accordingly for timezones. 

I sort of lost count of exact numbers. I'm doing really good at meditating, decently at getting outside and walking around on work days, and I've basically given up on doing any other goals. I do plan on continuing to try. I think I need a "real exercise" goal for the next challenge, and I need to find time to actually do it. I can tell that the gains that I made in the first challenge are probably already gone. 

I'll try and do better at updating this week and for the next challenge. I think by the end I stopped updating because I got embarrassed that I hadn't updated and was failing at least one of my goals.

"Then laugh, leaning back in my arms; For life's not a paragraph, And death, I think, is no parenthesis." ~ E.E. Cummings

Level 1 Tiefling Adventurer

Paladin of Stick 'Em With the Pointy End

Sorry I don't update much! It's been kind of rough for me the past week, as I'm spending all my spare time applying to jobs. I added my number to the PM, although I forgot to say that I'm in Central time, so adjust accordingly for timezones. 

I sort of lost count of exact numbers. I'm doing really good at meditating, decently at getting outside and walking around on work days, and I've basically given up on doing any other goals. I do plan on continuing to try. I think I need a "real exercise" goal for the next challenge, and I need to find time to actually do it. I can tell that the gains that I made in the first challenge are probably already gone. 

I'll try and do better at updating this week and for the next challenge. I think by the end I stopped updating because I got embarrassed that I hadn't updated and was failing at least one of my goals.

Don't be embarrassed! Just keep going! I believe in you! And give me a call if you ever need to be reminded you're awesome for just trying. <3

So Calanthia is Eastern Coast Land, Laurenji is Central Land, and Rainra and I are Western Coast Land! Man, Stick 'Em is basically a nationwide organization. :P

And P.S. I AM IN THE MIDST OF CRAZY JOB HUNT WORLD TOO. IT IS VERY STRESSFUL. I DON'T WANT TO DO TODAY.

You should call me, because I'll do it if you do. :)

~ Sol

Solunaria

Previous Challenge

Hey, y'all! Sol checking in.

I just finished my second long day in a row of job hunting, and I am WIPED OUT.

But I've covered enough places to feel... good. I have enough prospects to feel alright. And I do feel like I've done due diligence. I've talked to over 50 places, in two towns. I've met some great people. 

But man. Am I exhausted.

HOW'REVER.

While I feel like "UGH" about updating all of my progress bars, completing my challenges have become standard procedure, and yesterday and today went perfectly without me really thinking about it too much. Just like, "have you brushed your teeth yet?" sort of self-question, and it's like, nope, haven't finished my morning / evening routine.

It's kinda neat. ^.^

Okay, more check in tomorrow, love love night night.

~ Sol

Solunaria

Previous Challenge

Very cool :)

Dear TheGymHerald,

You currently look like a walking ad. Your signature is loud and overly-aggressive involving your own projects, you don't have your quest posted there so I can't see if you're actually here to be one of us.

If you separately run a site, it's fine to have a small link in your signature, and to mention it in your challenges from time to time to those that are following your journey. It is, however, inappropriate for you to have any of those "CLICKBAIT ADS" in big uncomfortable letters in your signature, and certainly to have so many links to other endeavors.

Please shift this, greatly reduce the aggression and number of commercial links, and add a link to your own personal introduction and challenge so that I know you're a real person. Otherwise, (and surely this is unnecessary if you merely misunderstood conduct here) I will report you and do whatever I can to get you off this site. Because no one spams my guild.

Again, if you are legitimately here to train and be part of the community, I hope you take this merely as useful information that will help you be more accepted among us, and look forward to hearing about your goals.

Sincerely,

Solunaria

• Like 1

Solunaria

Previous Challenge

You are right! This is an open forum. It's a place for lots of people with lots of different ideas.

And we all have different opinions. Opinions on what this site means, for instance. And some people are going to respond exactly how you want them to! They will see your links, and they will see what I'm hearing that you meant them to be - a bunch of really helpful links to really helpful information to help other people with like interests.

There will be people like me! People who see HOW TO LOSE WEIGHT FAST in large letters and links to other sites, without any links to introductions and challenges, and have alarm bells ringing. And as I said in my post that you found so insulting - if you are legitimately here, I hope you will take the information given as tools to come across as awesome and legitimate to everyone.

I'm glad you're not actually a spam advertiser! I'm glad you're a person. And I meant it when I said I would look forward to hearing about your goals if you turned out to be human. 

And maybe you won't have goals. Maybe you won't do challenges, and you'll just stick around to meet other people like you. And maybe (I wouldn't know! I've only been playing in the Challenge Threads and daily logs.) There are others out there like you who just want to trade fitness tips and hang out! That seems reasonable.

If you are here to be a part of the community and learn and train and grow and share, then I sincerely hope you let nothing - including my suspicion - get you down about ANY of your trajectory. Do you.

You said you were here to recieve knowledge, among other things: If doing so interests you, and you'd rather avoid another instance like this where someone clearly misreads your intent, I think it would go along way towards not having people (like me) misinterpret you if you had an introduction thread, and a link to it alongside your others. Advice, yours to take or leave.

Thank you for responding and confirming your reason for being here - even if it was angry.

I hope you have a day full of success and happy moments.

Best of luck,

~ Solunaria 

Solunaria

Previous Challenge

Sol,

I wasn't going to respond to the rude and unnecessary PM you sent me, but since you decided to copy and paste the exact thing to make it public in this thread to publicly shame me, let me put some things in terms for you.

I joined this board for a community of fitness. One of the things that drew me to signing up was the easy to use boards, and it looked fun. I read the rules (unlike you, we'll get to that soon) and followed them .. and am still following you. I am not a "walking ad" -- which is just words thrown around without a care with no regard for who you're talking about from behind the computer. Before "making" my signature - and by making, I mean adding links that have helped me tremendously and information I've learned from nearly a decade of working out and studying microbiology, nutrition, and science -- it said i was permitted to up to 15 links and seemed happy to do say so, as well. 

Also, Miss, I suggest you actually take a look at the links. I don't have a single advertisement or affiliate the website.. I do not make a single penny off of what I do. I simply do it to share information that I truly believe will help the community. When people ask questions on the boards, I'm eager to answer them with as much knowledge as I can and as quick as I can to get them back on the right track -- linking to an article I spent weeks writing (yes, they do take this long because of so much research and studying that goes into a single article) allows me to not have to re-write the entire thing, fill up the thread with thousands of words, and also provides the poster with a source to learn more from. 

To call me a walking ad is distasteful -- and in truth; quite idiotic. What am I advertising for? For people to lose weight and finally reach their goals? To help people better understand nutrition and prevent making mistakes in the future? To provide free, valuable information. Unlike you seem to be doing, right now, instead your battering me and calling me names and insulting me.

I do not need you to tell me your opinions. I am not here to take abuse from you. All I said was "Very Cool :)" And you jumped on me like a dog. Your age permits you from being tech savvy -- I get that, but the links in my bio are not "CLICKBAIT ADS" -- they are what they say they are. 

By the way, they have the size chart in the signature for a reason.

To end, I highly suggest you read the forum rules -- because you sounded extremely silly calling me a "spammer". In fact, I saw three complete spam threads that I alerted admins of, what did you to? 

Here are the rules Miss Manners:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/33101-the-nerd-fitness-forum-chat-rules/

Two rules you're not following:

• Accept and encourage everyone: From Assassin to Warrior to Monk, we have a wide range of people with different goals. If someone wants to train differently than you, this does not mean they're wrong (whether they're Horde or Alliance).

BE AN ADULT

• Nerd Fitness is an adult community. You must be 18 or older to post.

I'm sure you're over 18 (by the looks of your profile picture you're pushing 60) but you sure don't act like it. Please do not contact me again, receiving your message was very demotivating and (almost) ruined my day .. I don't like receiving those kind of messages, especially from people like you who think they can push others around. How childish to take this public and make me stoop to this level, but what was I do to? Sit around and be called names by a woman who does yoga?

I do not need you telling me what I can and can't do in order to be accepted into "your guild" -- this is a public forum, not your private, personal house to boss people around. I don't have to bow to you to be accepted by anyone. I'm here to share advice, share my knowledge, help others, receive advice and knowledge in return, and enjoy a community experience. I am not here to be bossed around by a mom. 

It's okay to take the L on this one -- you're at fault and you know it (by now). try to not fill your own thread up with spam and nonsense like you did calling me saying how cool of a thread it was. Cheers.

TheGymHerald, 

Being that this is a guild thread made up of a few of us who have banded together to work towards a common goal, I am going to have to respond to your attack on my guild-mate. When I first saw your post, the first thing that I immediately thought of (separately from Sol), was that you were a clickbait ad. While you may find the term "walking ad" offensive, unfortunately that is exactly what it looks like in your signature. Like Sol stated previously, there is no link to any challenge or other NerdFitness rebellion thread within your signature, which is what we have seen most often in a typical NerdFitness rebel signature. Therefore, neither of us had anything to go off of when determining whether you were a real person or someone simply trying to post clickbait on our guild thread. In a world where women experience harassment on a daily basis in addition to clickbaiters lying in wait on the internet, I hope that you can understand our suspicion. 

In reference to the last sentence presented by Sol, in the event that you were a real person (which it appears that you are), it was hoped that you would simply take the advice about the appearance of your signature in order to prevent future issues such as this. However for someone that states that they offer advice and help to others, it seems based on this conversation that you have a hard time taking advice from others around you. Since you have identified yourself as a real person and not a clickbait ad, you will obviously not be reported or removed from the site; but in the event that you were a clickbaiter I can understand Sol's need to take necessary precautions. We apologize if this offended you. 

Finally, let me provide some final advice to you, which I hope you will accept this time. In your attempts to make known that you were so insulted, you also became the one who insulted others. You should NEVER attempt to guess a woman's age, especially based on a tiny profile picture (You were way off by the way).

We hope that you have a lovely day,

Calanthia Cobbin and the SEWTPE Guild

Also I just noticed that I posted pretty much the same thing as Sol, though she was much more... nice... about it :) I felt that I needed to come to the aid of my guild-mate. That's what I'm here for!

I only skimmed through that, but you can't say I can't take advice because I was defending myself, plus you seem to awfully new here and it was all in good taste ;) cheers bro

And I was defending my friend. Also Im new to challenges but not to NerdFitness. I'm glad that you have clarified that it was all in good taste, as it did not initially feel like it. Thanks for helping to clear this up :) cheers

Thanks Sol, could retort. I enjoyed that little conversation and back and forth, truly haha.. but yeah, glad we cleared things up. I am indeed a real person (lol) who's here just to meet new friends and enjoy the community. In fact was about to join a competition thing on the forums here at the rebellion, but it said I needed at least 50 posts to join .. so for now, i'll wait. but for sure, when I get more and more posts ill definitively add links to my stuff on the boards here -- just gotta get "un"-new I guess lol. But for now, I just want people to have the chance to learn from my knowledge of nearly 10 years (like I said, that's all it is- i have no ads, im not making money off of it or publicity, it's under thegymherald.com, just me sharing my knowledge like many other members do as well in their signauters with blogs and such) cheers 

You don't have to have 50 posts to join a challenge! You don't have to have ANY! It's all in the rules at the top of the site.

Again, it's unusual to find a signature like yours, here! That's not really what we use them for, as a rule. Making the text smaller and adding your introduction posts (in the "Start Here" section of the forums) would be a great place to begin.

Good luck on your first challenge, let me know if you have any questions.

~ Sol

Solunaria

Previous Challenge

Alrighty! So my dear guildies... How many of you have the academy? I know Sol said she does, what about Rainra and Laurenji? I'm asking because I was thinking that we could possibly go questing together through the academy quests! I need to start over with my mindset quests and work through the levels and quests in nutrition, but if I had some accountability in actually doing it RIGHT I think that may help.

If you are interested, awesome! If not, that's fine! If nothing else I may just end up sharing mine with you all if the rest of you don't want to. Also if any of you don't have academy and still want to join me, I can share the quests with you so you know what to do ;) Let me know! 

~ Cal (I'm copying you Sol ;)