Stick 'Em With The Pointy End - Battle Tome!

So far, food consumption is actually a little too low--I missed breakfast, was distracted from lunch due to surprise Skype date with besties, and ate for the first time at 5:30. Not good. :-/  Water consumption will improve and I am determined to hit my goal before midnight, and gym time is scheduled for tonight once I'm off Dog Duty. 

Beyond that, I'd did some chores around the house, but much of my time was split between Skype and Dog Duty. I will remember to log my exercise effort once I get back tonight.

I haven't yet done my workout (I'm about to, gotta let dinner settle first) but I did make dinner! Wasn't the healthiest thing with perogies and corn (yay carbs!) but it wasn't a hot pocket at least. I also didn't have my protein shake yet because I got caught up in thinking of what I could make for dinner and started making dinner before working out. I try to have my shake when I get home from work and play with my dog a little, then workout, then have dinner. I plan to have it after my workout along with my banana (to help avoid muscle cramps!)

It's great to see the motivated peeps so far :P

• Like 1

Dwarf Level 0 | Adventurer-dreaming-of-being-an-Assassin

Year Goal: Lose 40 lbs | Long-term Goal: Become a Freerunner

Overall Goal:

0%
0%

6 Week Challenge:

25.6%
25.6%

VAGUELY UNRELATED TO THE FIRST DAY POSTS:

Did anyone else see the Arrow workout post? I emailed it to my friend who is a huge Arrow fan and now he wants me to do a "Black Canary" workout xD Does any one ever imagine themselves as a superhero in training?

Overall Goal:

0%
0%

6 Week Challenge:

25.6%
25.6%

Today:

I am smelly. Stinky, even. I feel like a slimy stick of B.O. But! At least I don't smell as bad as my trainer mwahahahahhahahahaha

Quest 1 - I didn't work on this today, that was expected and planned for in the grading :) I have too many quests to do all every day.

Quest 2 - 1 point! I went to conditioning class and got myself worn out.

Quest 3 - 1 point! I stayed after conditioning and learned some stuff at Krav Maga. I got to do my favorite kicks-- roundhouse ones!! (I learned some stuff to do better on the left side)

Quest 4 - 4 points! 5 servings of fruits and veg (1 cup fruit w/ breakfast, 3 cups veg at lunch, 1 or 2 cups, 1.5 maybe? veg at dinner), no added sugar today, 74g protein (phew, I was worried I wouldn't make it!), and my 1 piece of sprouted grain toast and no other carbs (I do well on a low bread diet, but a little helps a lot)

Quest 5 - I wrote 2173 words, and spent well over an hour on it, so 1 point. I have not meditated today and think I'm likely to save my first meditation for tomorrow.

Life Quest - Nope, no chores today, but I planned in my grading to miss Mondays. Doing work + writing + diet + 2 hours Krav Maga is probably at the top of my Monday game for now. :)

So far I'm on track for what I planned for. As far as calorie consumption, I think I did okay today. I'd like to aim just 150 cals higher on conditioning days, but I feel like my trainer on Mondays isn't as grueling as the Thursday one, so it's probably fine. Today's class was 3 rounds of jump rope + sit ups, elbow combos from the side, knees, got a bruise. Meh. The skills class was vertical elbows, roundhouse kicks (yessss!), and a side choke defense.

Wednesday I need to make more shredded chicken for emergency protein packs :) I'm almost out!

I can't believe I managed 2173 words today! I'm glad work was slow so I could squeeze that in!

I hope everyone had a great first day and got started on good footing! You got this!!!

(PS no where is the Arrow post???)

• Like 1

Hey everyone, checking in!

I did my bodyweight workout and stretching routine (details can be found in my personal thread).

I've also written 1,543 words as of this post. I plan on writing a little more tonight, but I probably won't get too much farther than 1700 words or so. You all are doing so good with your Nanos! (Oh, and if any of you want to be buddies with me on the NaNoWriMo site, I'm Laurenji on there as well).

Anyways, it's been a good first day for me and it looks like it's been a good first day for a lot of you as well. Good luck everyone! What a great start!

Out of curiosity, what time zone are you all in? I'm in US Central, and it feels like for some reason I'm the latest of you all.

• Like 2

"Then laugh, leaning back in my arms; For life's not a paragraph, And death, I think, is no parenthesis." ~ E.E. Cummings

Level 1 Tiefling Adventurer

Paladin of Stick 'Em With the Pointy End

Steve's newest blog post: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/11/02/can-you-complete-the-green-arrow-workout-save-star-city/#more-23939

I actually read through it and then went "nope, nope, nope." Not yet anyway. Parkour rolls scared me. Now I'm not sure I can ever actually do freerunning. =/  /isachickenshitapparently

I tried doing some "advanced" stretch which looked like yoga. I failed. But at least I tried. I didn't warm up or stretch properly before my actual workout though (stupid me thought that the weird yoga stretching would suffice) and I didn't end up finishing my workout (though I did put in a good workout). So far I don't feel too much like death but who knows how I will feel later today. 

I have to figure out a cardio exercise for tonight. Any suggestions? I'd rather not need to leave my apartment to do it since I still don't have headphones and my current book is too big to read on the exercise bike. I could try the treadmill with it, but I think it might still be too big. (It's a big ass fantasy novel).

Nano update: I wrote 1630 words last night, but I started with 4500 on Sunday, so not a bad start!

I'm on the East Coast, so EST. Unless someone's in Europe, I'm one of the earliest ones here. (It's definitely 6 am right now and I've already been up for an hour.)

• Like 1

Overall Goal:

0%
0%

6 Week Challenge:

25.6%
25.6%

Okay. I have about 2.5 usable hours left in the evening. I basically got no writing done at work today. This probably is a good thing, I have to prove I'm earning my paycheck. Even so, that means my ENTIRE challenge is limited to the evening hours on weekdays.

Today I got home, shimmied into some workout clothes, and turned on The Challenge, which is a 30 minute push pull hypertrophy workout that's ALL pushups and pull ups. I cannot do a pull up, and I can only do a few "real" push ups, so I modified with knee push ups & my second-from-toughest resistance band. I worked so hard that I couldn't open my dinner package and had to cut it. 

After the Challenge, I did 3 sets of 3 butt exercises, because my glutes don't get much love out of Krav or p90x3. I did sideways walks with the medium resistance band, backwards kicks with the resistance band, and Bulgarian split squats.

So, for Quest 1, that's a point, and then a point in my BONUS category!

No Krav on Tuesdays, so after that I took a deep breath and reached for my new Headspace app for the first time. Actually pretty wonderful. 

That kicks Quest 5 in the bootay for 1 point.

Made dinner and realized I needed to dig in to my emergency stores (grocery day is tomorrow) and ended up cooking a package of Trader Joe's chicken shiitake mushroom stir fry. Realized that the stir fry sauce had added sugar! Nooooooooo! But that's okay. I cooked the chicken & veggies in 2 tbsp oil, 2 tbsp vinegar, and 2 tbsp chili garlic sauce, and a touch of salt. OMFG came out so delicious. Minor problem though. I'm at only FOUR servings of fruit/veggies, and the other 3 food goals are done today. Well, that's fine. It's no big deal to whip up some frozen veggies. But dang, so close naturally :( Yesterday was easier because I bought a GIANT fresh salad from downstairs and loaded it up with a variety of yummy veg. Guess I know what I'll be putting on the grocery list!

So, with not much left of the night, I need to make a quick serving of veggies, eat it, do some chores, then sit down with my Chromebook and NaNo as much as possible before I pass out.

I... might have been insane to try NaNo with this challenge ><;

How are you guys doing??

• Like 1

I also got basically no writing done at work today. I can feel myself procrastinating it even now. I think I got one day in and am already discouraged about how bad my writing feels. I'm so rusty. And so bad at dialogue. Ugh.

"Then laugh, leaning back in my arms; For life's not a paragraph, And death, I think, is no parenthesis." ~ E.E. Cummings

Day 2 complete, huzzah! I'm still working on my water, but it's at less than half a liter and thus easily chuggable. I'm not headed to bed for over an hour, but I wanted to check in before I forgot. :-)

For everyone doing the thing with the writing: it doesn't matter what you're writing, it matters that you ARE writing. SoC, supernatural romance, and the next Great American Novel are literally on the same level this month. Have fun with it!

• Like 1

ixaera - YOU HAVE A CHROMEBOOK TOO?! I just bought a new one, and part of me really hates it. I love my old one, but the new one has a really stupid keyboard (This is my own fault for buying it online instead of going to the store). But alas, I love my chromebook as a whole. It makes writing so much easier.

Check in from yesterday: I did manage to "make" dinner again (chicken was left over, but new veggies and sides), had my shake and attempted to workout though I wouldn't say it was exactly a productive workout.

Anyone else have "gym anxiety" ? I was all set for a long slow walk while my laundry washed, but then everyone else in the gym (my apartment has its own with about 4-5 treadmills plus other stuff) was going pretty hard and I got intimidated. It's hard to stay motivated and not feel like a looser when you've got thin women and muscled guys doing 8 miles an hour next to you and you're just slowly walking at 1.5. I -can- go faster, but I'm worried I'll get too winded too fast right now (a pretty big reason I'm exercising - my lungs). So my planned 30-minute walk became 15, then only 12 because I was so uncomfortable.

As for NaNo, I wrote when I got to work (I get there early usually) for 15 minutes then I wrote for 15 during lunch, but by the time I got home I had so much other stuff to do (including laundry!) I was too tired to really think and write last night, so I only wrote about 1000. But! That 1000 is better than nothing, right?

We'll survive Nano my friends, we will!

And better late than never :P

• Like 2

Overall Goal:

0%
0%

6 Week Challenge:

25.6%
25.6%

ixaera - YOU HAVE A CHROMEBOOK TOO?! I just bought a new one, and part of me really hates it. I love my old one, but the new one has a really stupid keyboard (This is my own fault for buying it online instead of going to the store). But alas, I love my chromebook as a whole. It makes writing so much easier.

Check in from yesterday: I did manage to "make" dinner again (chicken was left over, but new veggies and sides), had my shake and attempted to workout though I wouldn't say it was exactly a productive workout.

Anyone else have "gym anxiety" ? I was all set for a long slow walk while my laundry washed, but then everyone else in the gym (my apartment has its own with about 4-5 treadmills plus other stuff) was going pretty hard and I got intimidated. It's hard to stay motivated and not feel like a looser when you've got thin women and muscled guys doing 8 miles an hour next to you and you're just slowly walking at 1.5. I -can- go faster, but I'm worried I'll get too winded too fast right now (a pretty big reason I'm exercising - my lungs). So my planned 30-minute walk became 15, then only 12 because I was so uncomfortable.

As for NaNo, I wrote when I got to work (I get there early usually) for 15 minutes then I wrote for 15 during lunch, but by the time I got home I had so much other stuff to do (including laundry!) I was too tired to really think and write last night, so I only wrote about 1000. But! That 1000 is better than nothing, right?

And better late than never :tongue:

I QUOTED YOU THREE TIMES BECAUSE IT'S IMPORTANT.

I have horrible, horrible gym anxiety. I've had more re-victimization (MST) and sexual harassment come at me in gyms than all bars I've frequented in seven countries. When I got into a gym and there's someone else there, I feel sick. I have had more than my share of panic attacks because of gyms--it was a required part of my day at my last command and a bad morning made it a horrible experience. 

BUT

As an excellent doctor I had once said, "the only way to get over anxiety is to face it, head on, and endure it until your brain is so tired that it gives in." Whether your anxiety is as severe as mine has been (it's improving, thanks to support on NF) or it's embarrassment and nervousness (which also sucks) the only way to truly overcome it is to face it. And let's be real: gyms are for physical activity and self improvement, so we are as suitable to be seen as everyone else! You don't know how far others have come; the svelte woman busting out pushups may just be farther on down the road than you are  on right now.

We fat girls at the gym are not alone!

http://www.xojane.com/healthy/fat-girl-gym

http://militaryspouse.com/news/editorial/fat-girl-at-the-gym/

http://ericamillard.com/?p=1566

WE BELONG THERE. IT IS OURS.

• Like 1

I do! The touchpad is a little wonky, but it works ok. I have midget hands so I think that helps with the keyboard thing. A friend of mine has the same complaint, though, so you're not alone there! I love how light it is and how easy to use. Last night I curled up in my big papasan chair and wrote for an hour until my cat basically crowded me out.

I don't get gym anxiety, but I get Krav Maga anxiety like WHOA. Especially in the beginning. About 2/3 of the students I've met have been male and already quite fit. I'm the smallest person and the weakest by a lot, so absorbing some of those punches and kicks to the body pads can be rough. On the plus side, I'm getting much better at keeping my footing and remembering to breathe out as the hit comes. My first four classes I almost quit because I was basically coming THIS CLOSE -->  <-- to having an actual panic attack lol. It's largely better now, but I still get it. 

For some reason at the actual gym, just getting on the elliptical I don't feel like anyone really cares what I'm doing. So it doesn't matter that I'm kinda going slow, just boppin along with my Kindle. But I won't even touch the weights. The gym I had a membership at before Krav was full of hyperfit guys who were all super competitive with each other. The few girls that went over there were also hyperfit and seemed to know EVERYONE. Too intimidating for meeeee. That said, it would have been beneficial to get past it, but I never did and I ended up doing something else that worked. Still, it's easier said than done, but ignore everyone else. They are probably too busy worrying about what everyone thinks of them, anyway :)

TODAY has been hard. Work had a giant emergency and everyone was like HEY YOU SOLVE THIS RIGHT NOW. It's still a total mystery. None of the usual suspects are the problem and I've got 3 people breathing down my neck (not RIGHT now, I'm waiting on other folks to get back to me lol). I want so bad to eat a cookie and have a giant beer.

:(

I'm hoping my impending workout and meditation tonight are enough to pull me through it. I haven't even had time to THINK about my NaNo project today.

• Like 1

Okkaaaaay! I definitely need to work on posting every day. I suck at it, but even if I fail at my challenges I am determined to get better at regular logging of my activities!!! I think I'll do a lot of my specific goal posting in my challenge thread but I'm determined to check in here each day and at least give a "good" or "bad" as far as my challenges and day go...

Soooo anyway, so far my challenges have been okay-ish. I have been doing well with my water goal and reading goal so far, and although I didn't make my walking goal the first day I did make it yesterday! I have been ultra-sucking at my food logging/calorie goals though and I blame the presence of Halloween candy and my lack of willpower :/ This will be something that I definitely continue to work on lol

NaNoWriMo: I did awesome the first day and got like 1,500 words in, which for having not written ANYTHING before, I'm proud of myself for that :) and then of course the past couple of days I have not written anything :/ so I have a bit of catching up to do unfortunately. Hey, as long as I am trying then I will be proud of myself. Things have just been busy with work. I have a day off today so I'm hoping to get caught up or at least slightly back on track today.

In reference to earlier time zone posts, most of Tennessee is central time zone but I am so far over to the East that I am on the eastern time zone! So I'm about an hour or more ahead of you guys at like all times.

Gym anxiety: I don't think I have it, because I have no problem going to a gym when one is available to me. However, I am positive that I tend to be very hyperaware of others around me and typically just do the "headphones in - people out" technique in the hopes of just getting in and getting out. Unfortunately I no longer have a gym available and have to wait until the new year when we get some money coming in before I can even try to get a gym membership.

Anyhoo I'll be hopefully posting again later tonight with my progress for the day :)

• Like 2

Calanthia Cobbin: Level 3 Hobbit Ranger

Rogue of Stick 'Em With The Pointy End! 

STR: 2.13 | INT: 2.37 | DEX: 4.25 | STA: 11.23 | CON: 11.88 | WIS: 8.72 | CHA: 5.81  

My Epic Quest | Current Challenge | Past Challenges: 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7thFitbit

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~JRR Tolkien

On a secondary note, can anyone teach me the coding for how to make things pretty colors from my phone? My keyboard got soda spilled on it a few weeks ago - which I have NO idea how THAT happened... - and its a pain to try and type with sticky keys... not to mention that I like to post from bed when I KNOW that the day is done but I can't stand not having some kind of pretty colors when logging my foods and activities... :( help???

Also, I found a couple of you on NaNo but not everyone so I need usernames please! :) I need more buddies!

Calanthia Cobbin: Level 3 Hobbit Ranger

Rogue of Stick 'Em With The Pointy End! 

STR: 2.13 | INT: 2.37 | DEX: 4.25 | STA: 11.23 | CON: 11.88 | WIS: 8.72 | CHA: 5.81  

My Epic Quest | Current Challenge | Past Challenges: 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7thFitbit

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~JRR Tolkien

Hey guys, just checking in.

Today is kind of a low day for me. I goofed off at work and ended up with a bunch of stuff that I had to do at home tonight, and then proceeded to goof off at home, and so now I don't have time to do my workout, or to Nano. I also did not Nano very much yesterday. I am hoping to be able to catch up on my workout tomorrow and maybe some of my Nano-ing as well, but we shall see. I am only 2,300 words into my story and I am already discouraged at how out of practice I am and how bad at dialogue I am.

My name on NaNo is Laurenji as well, for anyone who wants to find me. Additionally, I don't know if anyone uses Beat Sheets or any other similar planning worksheets, but I put this one into Google Docs. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zI1lFr6WZ6YSSPD0dg2A4jxYREuOIn-BOE90f_deVxU/edit?usp=sharing

It's copied from Jami Gold's one that she has as an Excel download. I just copied it into a Google Doc instead. I'll be copying over all of the ones from here (http://jamigold.com/for-writers/worksheets-for-writers/) over into Google Docs eventually.

Anyways. Good luck all. I am tired and going to bed . .  . 

• Like 1

Hey guys, just checking in.

Today is kind of a low day for me. I goofed off at work and ended up with a bunch of stuff that I had to do at home tonight, and then proceeded to goof off at home, and so now I don't have time to do my workout, or to Nano. I also did not Nano very much yesterday. I am hoping to be able to catch up on my workout tomorrow and maybe some of my Nano-ing as well, but we shall see. I am only 2,300 words into my story and I am already discouraged at how out of practice I am and how bad at dialogue I am.

My name on NaNo is Laurenji as well, for anyone who wants to find me. Additionally, I don't know if anyone uses Beat Sheets or any other similar planning worksheets, but I put this one into Google Docs. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zI1lFr6WZ6YSSPD0dg2A4jxYREuOIn-BOE90f_deVxU/edit?usp=sharing

It's copied from Jami Gold's one that she has as an Excel download. I just copied it into a Google Doc instead. I'll be copying over all of the ones from here (http://jamigold.com/for-writers/worksheets-for-writers/) over into Google Docs eventually.

Anyways. Good luck all. I am tired and going to bed . .  . 

Tomorrow is a new day :)

I'm right there with you in a sense :/ Got 0 NaNo done today :(

Don't worry too much about being rusty or whether what you're getting down is "good"--it's honestly probably better than you think anyway, and the whole point is just to slop it down and then pretty it up later. Who was it that said write drunk, edit sober? 

Though I guess this challenge drinking is kinda hard for me... it's too bad. I coulda used a serious glass of wine today, and I'd be happy to share!