• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

bigdude

Lifting with wedding rings?

When I started researching weight lifting I started seeing adds on other sites for silicone wedding rings.  I thought "that's weird, are rubber rings a thing?" not connecting it with lifting...

Then last night while doing BB rows my ring kept cutting into my finger and suddenly the connection was made...

Since I lift in my basement, I can just take my ring off as there is no danger of strange women spotting my bare finger and throwing themselves at me (ok, maybe there was no danger of that anyway! LOL!).

But I wonder:  Do you remove your wedding ring when lifting?  Is this a common problem?

I have seen them before. My wedding band is silver. I put it in my gym bag along with my watch before I workout. 

I've never had a woman throw themselves at me or flirt with me while working out. Maybe I am in the minority. However, I have also learned from past experience with women flirting with me in the workplace, at restaurants, bars, clubs, etc....if a woman is determined to make a move (as well as a man), a little band of gold or silver ain't going to stop them.

Some is some ain't.

Heavy deadlift or OHP press bothers me to leave my band on.  It seems to cause more callous in that spot.  Bench and squats don't seem to matter.

I don't wear my rings in the gym at all. I don't wear them for yoga either.

Anyone who won't take a verbal, "sorry, I'm married," as a rejection probably wouldn't take a wedding ring as one either.

• Like 4

When we got married, I was a farm hand.  My wife has a collection of mangled rings.  (I've had at least a half dozen rings during our 35 years).

I just leave it on.  The knurling on the bars has totally destroyed the finish on the ring.  Will probably have to get a new one soon, at which point I'll go back to taking it off.  And yes, sometimes it cuts into my finger on dead lifts.

I take mine off and put it in my gym bag. Aside from protecting it, my wedding ring is quite chunky and I can imagine it would be quite painful being gouged into my hand mid-deadlift!

, so the issue of getting picked up is quite insignificant.

It' 5:15 am, I haven't combed my hair, brushed my teeth or showered... I'm pretty sure my chances of getting hit on are quite insignificant regardless.  :playful:

• Like 2

I always take mine off and put it on my key biner and leave it in the locker.  I'm also 47 and since I workout at the University I police at (for free even), most girls there are 18-22 so I don't have problems w/ being hit on.  Also after being married for 12 years, I have an indention on my ring finger so I couldn't hide it if I wanted too.

I've thought about getting those Qalo rings, but not sure how well they wold hold up in real world.  I would still take it off when I work out though.  I hear really good things and really bad things about them...no in between. 

I always take mine off.  My hands usually swell up after any sort of heavy upper body days to the point where it actually hurts if I'm wearing my ring post workout.  

That said, I can't stand wearing it while I'm typing.  So maybe I just have bigger problems with rings in general.  

I take mine off for all pulls (deadligting, rowing, pull ups, etc) as it digs in. My main part of my keyring is a carabiner and I just pop it on that so I can't forget my ring (can't go anywhere without my keys). When I don't do this I inevitably forget it on my bench in my garage for a day or two.

Also after being married for 12 years, I have an indention on my ring finger so I couldn't hide it if I wanted to.

Same way here. I'm a very tan person, so in addition to the divot in my finger from my finger thickening around the ring (asssuming due to lifting), there's a white tan line where the ring typically is.

I actually just ordered a silicone ring.  I've gotten by for a while without one, just taking my ring off.  I usually either leave it at home, or put it on my key carabiner.  The ring I have is just a shade too big, has edges that aren't very rounded, and it's a little chunky, so it isn't feasible to wear it at all when I lift.  Years of working on electronics and such got me in the habit of removing metal items for pretty much any real work- I don't ever wear dog tags around my neck, and my wedding band is slightly malformed out of round from getting it caught underneath a MK-19 grenade launcher (while transporting, not firing).  I quit wearing my ring for months after that.

Anyways, I'm going to try the silicone ring and see how I like it, at least for workout purposes.  Safer than a metal ring, and I'm not the tattooing type.

Funny that you bring up the tattoo idea.  I had wanted to do that under my ring, but my wife didn't want me to do it.  She thought it would give me good reason to just take my ring off all the time.  Haha... which I do anyway.  :)

I have a biner on my gym bag just to clip my wedding ring to.  I don't want it damaged by the bar, and I don't want my finger damaged either.  Getting hit on has generally not been a problem for me, ring or no ring.  My looks and personality work just fine to prevent that type of thing.

My wife (of 15 years) and I rarely wear our wedding rings. Never really have. I like it when women flirt with me. I'm human, it's fun. Part of the fun for me of losing weight and getting fitter is getting a little more attention from women. Not sure how on point this post is - but it seems like a tangentially related opinion.

My wife (of 15 years) and I rarely wear our wedding rings. Never really have. I like it when women flirt with me. I'm human, it's fun. Part of the fun for me of losing weight and getting fitter is getting a little more attention from women. Not sure how on point this post is - but it seems like a tangentially related opinion.

I'm completely clueless when it comes to flirting, my wife once had to tell me a woman was flirting with me.  True story, when it rains I wear a leather western-type hat to keep my head dry because I HATE umbrellas (I commute by public transportation and work in NYC). I was having a beer in a bar in Hoboken NJ and the woman next to me asked me if I was really a cowboy.  Nota bene, except for that hat I had no cowboy clues, I was wearing dockers, black sneakers and an LL Bean rain jacket.  When I told my wife about it she informed me that she was flirting with me.

I always say (not entirely joking) that if a woman threw her underwear at my face, with herself still in them, I MIGHT suspect she's trying to get my attention.

• Like 1

It probably makes me a really bad wife, but I quite often go days without wearing my rings anywhere.

For the record, I still don't get hit on.

This is me as well, minus the wife part. I end up taking my ring of for most workouts, and much of the time I forget to put it back on. To date, there has been zero hitting on.

I do want a Qalo ring though.