Okay so my last challenge got derailed with my kids getting sick. I hung in there however and scraped by with a few points. This challenge will be a continuation from the previous one with some slight variations. 

Goal One: Gardening - Stamina 

I still need to maintain and grow my garden. Late spring means lots of mowing, I also want to ramp up my vegie garden so it can produce more food for my family. I hope to get at least an hour per day in the garden. Excluding watering. I have roses flowering in the rose garden that we can't see because of the weeds. I need to clean that up. The lawn is getting out of hand and in some places is well over a foot in height. 

Scoring:

HIT: 5-7+ hours/week +3pts

BLOCK: 2-5 hours/week +2pts

DODGE: 1-2 hours/week +1pt

MISS: 0-1 hours/week 0pts

Goal Two: Morning stretches - Dexterity

One of the parts that I struggled with in setting up my routines in the last challenge was doing my stretches in the morning. this will be the key focus of this challenge. I want to focus on stretches as i am suffering from stiff and sore muscles and joints. If I don't get on top of my stretching I will be in real trouble. 

Scoring:

HIT: 5-7 sessions/week +3pts

BLOCK: 3-5 sessions/week +2pts

DODGE: 1-2 sessions/week +1pt

MISS: 0-1 sessions/week 0pts

Goal Three: Strength training - Strength

With the realisation that I hate walking up and back I have decided to refocus on my strength training which has lagged somewhat. I want to rebuild my strength up to what it was a year ago. Then exceed it. I will allow a bit of flexibility here, with three workouts that will challenge and build my strength. First the trusty NF Basic BodyWeight Workout [bBWW], this has been a mainstay of my time at NF and has always helped me and it works. Second a combo sledgehammer kettlebell workout, because they are cool and I love swinging both around. Third a Hiit Burpee routine, because burpees. The important thing here is to get three strength training sessions in per week, any combination of the three options I have listed. 

Scoring:

HIT: 3 sessions/week +3pts

BLOCK: 2 sessions/week +2pts

DODGE: 1 sessions/week +1pt

MISS: 0 sessions/week 0pts

Goal Four: Getting on top of stuff - Stamina, Charisma, Wisdom

Our home has sort of fallen apart because of illnesses and stuff happening. Time to start getting things back in order. For me that means my shed. In Australia a man in not a man without his shed. How he sets it up and what he does in it is not so important, it is his domain, retreat, den, cave, and right now mine looks like a rubbish dump. Considering I have a small altar out there makes things even worse. How can i Honour my Gods, Ancestors and the Land Spirits in a dump? Fecking disgusting and an embarrassment. Also general housework, Bec does by far the lion's share in keeping the house clean, I want to step up my game here and do some more around the house. Like gardening this will be a time spent doing stuff goal. Exclusions are cooking and laundry as I already do the majority of the work here. 

Scoring:

HIT: 5-7+ hours/week +3pts

BLOCK: 2-5 hours/week +2pts

DODGE: 1-2 hours/week +1pt

MISS: 0-1 hours/week 0pts

I will award the points for each goal with my weekly wrap up, then divide the total by 6 to reach my score for the entire challenge. I have three leftover points which I will give myself for various bits and pieces during the challenge. 

At the end of this challenge I will have been with NF for two years. I actually joined up midway through the november challenge in 2013. I think I will need to do a review for my time with NF, the highs and lows and the wobbly bits inbetween. Something to ponder over. 

• Like 7

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

You got this. The lawn's a foot tall? You must be in that one part of Australia where it actually rains. You have a solid challenge there.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I am actually about an hour away from that one part of Australia where it snows. Might have to check that snow stuff out one day. 

• Like 2

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Subbing to see how your garden grows! 

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Winter where I live goads our lawn into growing just as long! And before my Mother in law got someone to rip out all my garden beds there was lawn in those as well growing taller then I am. :P So far I've had very little luck in growing my own edibles, but hopefully next year when I own my own little plot of land and home I can focus better on it. until then, I'll be living vicariously through your garden! xD

• Like 1

Stonie

They/Them

Currently reading: Good Omens by Terry Pratchet & Neil Gaiman

Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox)

Current DnD character: A radio presenter who’s magical bardic weapon is a portable radio broadcaster’s kit

I detect green thumb victories to come!

ZRNmxcu.gif

• Like 2

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

So my trashed man cave [emoji20] the shed often becomes the dumping ground for everything. On the left you can see the shield and drinking horn on my Harrow (OE Hearg, altar).

3baba32529d2867354ce2359711a7489.jpg

In this picture is our poor overgrown rose garden. These are standard roses, that grass is six foot high.

6e7fa309ab54824b29cdef26733751fb.jpg

My overgrown back lawn, can't even see the vegie beds in this shot.

028c632b0580dddb7c3a8e2b5af9358b.jpg

Finally the entrance to my outdoor Ealh (Old English meaning temple). This is a work in progess.

133b36edd5e2e420caef57683b6c3b3b.jpg

Some of the work ahead of me this challenge.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 3

What part of Australia is this? If someone had said those pics were from Texas I would not have known better.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

New South Wales mate. I am west of the Snowy Mountains and Mount Kosciuszko (Australia's tallest mountain).

I am about seven hours west of Sydney, three hours west of Canberra, nine/ten hours northish of Melbourne and about ten-twelve hours east of Adelaide.

These two websites will give you the skinny on where I live. [emoji846]

http://www.tarcutta.com.au/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarcutta

• Like 1

Awwww, that takes me back to when I was little and living on a farm! I can't wait until we buy our own block and have all that space back again.. 

And I think unless it's on a home-building type tv show, most aussie men's sheds look that way! xD My dad's does, Mr. Tea's does, that's what they are for!

• Like 1

Stonie

They/Them

Current DnD character: A radio presenter who’s magical bardic weapon is a portable radio broadcaster’s kit

So my trashed man cave [emoji20] the shed often becomes the dumping ground for everything. On the left you can see the shield and drinking horn on my Harrow (OE Hearg, altar).

3baba32529d2867354ce2359711a7489.jpg

In this picture is our poor overgrown rose garden. These are standard roses, that grass is six foot high.

6e7fa309ab54824b29cdef26733751fb.jpg

My overgrown back lawn, can't even see the vegie beds in this shot.

028c632b0580dddb7c3a8e2b5af9358b.jpg

Finally the entrance to my outdoor Ealh (Old English meaning temple). This is a work in progess.

133b36edd5e2e420caef57683b6c3b3b.jpg

Some of the work ahead of me this challenge.

-swoon- It may be over grown but it sure is pretty *u* ♡ You are working on a temple? 

Doll | Gargoyle | Ranger | lvl 7th
STR 17, STA 8, CON 14, DEX 2, CHA 7, WIS 4
1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | Current | B L

Main Storyline: Drop 55lbs 06/55lbs

10.9%
4.4%

Yeah only a small one. The basic layout is inspired by archaeological evidence of pre-Christian temples in A-S England and Scandinavia. They tend to have a ratio of 1:1.5. My one here is roughly 12x18 feet (I used my own foot length. The two posts that you see mark the entrance, which is in the south-east, chosen primarily due to the lay of the land.

The posts were some treated pine that was in the yard, they are about knee high on me above the ground (maybe 50-60cm or about 2 feet).

I need to rope the area off, set up a Weofed (Old English for outdoor altar), God Pillars, and the other posts marking the inner and outer sanctums. Then I can dedicate the space for worship.

I'll possibly put a fire pit either inside the Ealh, or nearby on the outside. Probably the latter then it can be used for sitting around at family occasions. As I said a work in progress.

I also would like to put a statue representing Nerthus (Anglo-Saxon Earth Goddess) overlooking my vegie garden, where we can place harvest offerings to her.

• Like 2

I am so use to the idea of indoor shrines and alters that I never even considered out door ones. But that would make the most sense. Hah. Your plans sound beautiful and it is so neat to see how immersed you and your family is in your religion. So your temple is a more natural environment less actual building structure? Or a mix?

Speaking of which, I placed my order for Essential Asatru. c: Looking forward to learning more. 

• Like 1

10.9%
4.4%

That's all you need Seven, find yourself a nice patch of yard, get a couple of decent tree stumps/logs for sitting on, keep it clear and bob's your uncle. Anything else is window dressing. I could leave the Ealh as it is in all honesty. The stuff I am talking about is more reconstruction stuff, God poles and the like are what is found in archaeology and literary sources. So I am going to look at including such things and see how they alter my religious practices. Previously I have always gone for a circular outdoor temple marked off by stones. This is something different for me. I will see how it goes. This is an important aspect of a reconstructed religion, researching what was done, testing a modern interpretation of what was done, and including or discarding the idea based upon experience and intuition. The eternal feedback loop; external knowledge [stuff from outside the self - academic sources, other peoples experiences and opinions etc] gets added to internal knowledge [stuff from inside the self - intuition, previous knowledge, etc] then both are melded together and the resulting concept gets tested through actual performance, this gets analysed and compared to the external and internal knowledge bases and then are adapted, adopted or discarded. Those experiences that are adopted become part of the living traditions of your practices, and the framework upon which further practices can be tested upon and against. 

on other news, yesterday I did some gardening, about 15 minutes planting seeds in one of the beds, a mix of leafy green vegies and herbs for a mixed leaf salad. Hopefully the enough seeds will sprout and grow to provide salad greens for lunches. 

I did an extra half hour of housework, beyond cooking and laundry.

Starting to get stuff moving in the right direction for this challenge. 

• Like 3

There are some brilliant god pole carvers out there...

6f184de228565df78111f8c8ecf676b0.jpg

Mega jealous of their talents.

• Like 6

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Thats something else I'll be able to have once I move; my own dedicated meditation space! There is just no where in my house right now that isn't taken up by something else or used for something else... I love your simple little temple!

• Like 1

Stonie

They/Them

Rurik you and I both. I will probably go for something very simple made by myself.

• Like 2

Rurik you and I both. I will probably go for something very simple made by myself.

I dabbled in some Norse carving but I just have no hand for it.  These shaky hands aren't good for delicate work like that unfortunately.  I have a friend on Facebook though who has three enormous gods poles dedicated to Odin, Thor, and Freyr though.  Pretty impressive work!

• Like 3

Today I was not strong enough. Functional strength means being strong enough to deal with nuisances like this on your own in my book.

c01105f16efbff21a6e6696e585a0d08.jpg

So have failed to move this, I went back got my axe (2.5lb/1kg) and made it my workout for the day.

862a6fb33976bee74a3c15871258330b.jpg

f468da134a972ffeea584a356154a8fd.jpg

98985d449905bd2c140e781142d7608b.jpg

Then with my Rebbecca's help we got it off the driveway.

cb753fa274d716e00370cdb168fef867.jpg

Now you know why I need my strength back.

• Like 5

A wild fallen down tree appears!

Thom uses axe.

It's super effective!

• Like 5

I keep seeing folks using axes and warhammer (or sledge depending on the author) for work outs. Winter is quickly approaching and my mum has a load that needs chopping... How effective is it as a work out in general and specifically, how does it 'work'? 

By work I mean, is there like a proper hammer/axe regimen? Is there axe/hammer etiquette? I'm probably over thinking it but considering I am made of noodles, I don't want to go and hurt myself. Lol.

10.9%
4.4%

Google "Shoveglove" and all your questions will be answered.

Well, obviously not all your questions, but your hammer related fitness ones.

I mean, you're not going to find out where you left your keys or anything.

• Like 3

Sledgehammers are cool. I am going to be busy today, but will describe my hammer exercises later. Also talk to Teros over in adventurers, he is a fellow hammerer.