RoseofMay the Pumpkin King...is striving for the same great things!

sassyfrassy

What’s This? What’s This? There’s Yoga Everywhere! What’s This? There’s Smiling in the Air!

tumblr_md8czkpC7M1r0uw3oo2_500.gif

Hello and welcome to RoseofMay’s third six week challenge!

In saying goodbye to Halloween, we begin to approach one of

my other favorite holidays: Christmas! What better way to work

through this new challenge than with some help from some

of the friendly folk of Halloween Town?

tumblr_nv354pBB3l1te584zo1_500.gif

In this challenge, I am going to continue working with yoga practices,

sharpening my food habits, reminding myself of the good times,

and simplifying my day with a little practice of time management.

Quest One: Sally

giphy.gif

I am going to be looking for yoga routines that engage your core. I’m certain that nearly every routine and pose does that, but I want to focus on strengthening that area. In addition, I want to work on breathing and finding my center.

My goal is to do 15 minutes of core strength work 3 days/week, and 5 minutes of stretching and breathing exercises every day.

Quest Two: Lock, Shock, and Barrel...or Calories, Sugars, and Fats

tumblr_ncyo7w7PFj1ruhg5do1_500.gif

I am determined to get into the good habit of keeping track of my food. I also want to put forth the effort to keep an eye on my sugar and fat intake. Staying within my caloric intake is important, but I noticed that despite coming in under that number, things such as sugar and fat would go overboard. Sugar more than anything else. That said, I am going to work to be mindful of the amount sugar things have, good sugars vs bad sugars, healthy fats, and looking for filling foods that will help me feel satisfied rather than hungry an hour later.

Calories/Day:

Sugar/Day:

Fat/Day:

Quest Three: Jack Skellington

71199-nightmare-before-christmas-smi-CwK

As the weather is growing colder, it means that moods will begin to decline in our house. I have decided to use one of my goals to make sure that I help not only myself, but my Mom. We will take the time every day to make a list of 5 things that make us happy. We will keep them tucked away in a special notebook so that whenever we are feeling down, we can refer to it.

I think in doing the above, we will be able to see that there are so many things for us to be happy about should we be having a less than stellar day.

Life Quest: The Mayor

tumblr_msypqc4ell1rhu4a0o1_500.gif

I need to work on my time management. I know that I could be accomplishing a lot of things if I managed my time better. Stop procrastinating until the last minute for things like projects, dinner, phone calls, cleaning...etc. Get it done early and not worry about it later. Doing this with everyday life will just help make everything go smoother.

To accomplish this, I am going to make daily to-do lists along with a weekly to-do list. Instead of trying to narrow down a concrete routine, knowing what I should be accomplishing on a daily and weekly basis will help me prioritize my time. This includes time for myself!

• Like 4

YEEEEEEEEEEEE

tumblr_mvanap3lnr1sjn51ko1_500.gif

I love your happiness goal.  The list thing is AWESOME, and great to reflect on when you're having A Day.

Do you have a list of yoga poses you're going to refer to? :D

It's crazy how much sugar is in everything.... and you don't really notice?  Once I started lookint at nutrition labels it made me go !!!!!, even an innocent looking yogurt can have 16g of sugar!  UGH! @_@  Sneaky...............

• Like 2

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

Do you have a list of yoga poses you're going to refer to? :D

It's crazy how much sugar is in everything.... and you don't really notice?  Once I started lookint at nutrition labels it made me go !!!!!, even an innocent looking yogurt can have 16g of sugar!  UGH! @_@  Sneaky...............

I bought a Yoga journal magazine a few months back and it has some really great core-based poses and routines that I plan on working through! I decided that I'm going to keep a running list of the poses that I do and rate them/grade them on how well I can get into the position/how long I can hold the pose. :D

And YES. @____@ It's going to be a bit harder than just looking at calories, but I think it will do me a lot of good to look at those numbers, too. In the learning phase, I won't penalize myself too hard if I go one or two numbers over. However, if it's 5+? I need to really evaluate what I'm eating versus what I could be eating.

Nightmare before Christmas! I love it!

Great goals!

Following to see you succeed! :)

:D :D :D So happy to have you along!

• Like 3

Love love love your theme and super excited to see you rock this challenge :D

Great goals too, sugar is my frenemy too. I love it but I hate it. ANYWAYS, I love the happiness project too, that's another fantastic goal

LET'S GO :D

• Like 1

Current

Level 11 Magic Cat Druid 

Head Flip Bitch (Team French Toast)

"A jug fills drop by drop" -Buddha

Battle Log

Past Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

(old) Battle Log

Accountabilibuddies: Doodlies

Embrace the Suck

"Fueled by Paleo" is what I claim … but I would be a liar if I would say that certain sweet stuff has no temptation for me. Cheesecake… very dark chocolate… gingerbread (selfmade just from ground nuts and spices)… 

Oh I know the fight quite well! It is hard, but you will be the winner, I am sure of it!

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Love love love your theme and super excited to see you rock this challenge :D

Great goals too, sugar is my frenemy too. I love it but I hate it. ANYWAYS, I love the happiness project too, that's another fantastic goal

LET'S GO :D

WOOOOOO!

I'm going to have to take a look at things like my coffee creamer and what not. Which makes me sad because I do love my flavored creamers! >_< I'll have to see about possibly making my own or something.

"Fueled by Paleo" is what I claim … but I would be a liar if I would say that certain sweet stuff has no temptation for me. Cheesecake… very dark chocolate… gingerbread (selfmade just from ground nuts and spices)… 

Oh I know the fight quite well! It is hard, but you will be the winner, I am sure of it!

*____* Ahhh cheesecake and dark chocolate. At least the dark chocolate isn't TOO terrible and has good antioxidants in it. :D

And homemade baked goods. Oh man. Especially with the holidays approaching? That will happen a lot. I will have to really work on limiting how many cookies I taste test during the process and throughout.

I've thought about attempting something close to Paleo, but I'm not sure how well it would do with the whole family. I will have to do some more reading and research!

• Like 1

Paleo? Just ask. 

Cookies: I bake a lot of those for Christmas, but I do have for some things a lot of "paleo versions" that are appreciated even by non-Paleo eaters. Another great side effect of making cookies is that you're already sort of sweetened out just from making them, so it becomes easy to watch the others eat the fruit of your work! :D

• Like 2

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Hello and welcome!  You have some seriously great goals here. 

I LOVE the happiness part of your challenge.  I do this as well because I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder so bad!  Making time to write down what makes you happy helps make the winter season a bit more bearable.

Best of luck to you!  :frog:

• Like 1
Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

Paleo? Just ask. 

Cookies: I bake a lot of those for Christmas, but I do have for some things a lot of "paleo versions" that are appreciated even by non-Paleo eaters. Another great side effect of making cookies is that you're already sort of sweetened out just from making them, so it becomes easy to watch the others eat the fruit of your work! :D

I know who to go to for questions! :D

Woo! Nightmare before Christmas theme!

I also hear you on feeling a bit down around this time of year. I always struggle with feeling a bit less happy from December until March or so.

It's tough! I think I'll have a little bit of a better time this year, but I'm going to make sure I stay on top of it to make sure it doesn't get too bad.

Hello and welcome!  You have some seriously great goals here. 

I LOVE the happiness part of your challenge.  I do this as well because I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder so bad!  Making time to write down what makes you happy helps make the winter season a bit more bearable.

Best of luck to you!   :frog:

Ahh thank you!!!!

I definitely have some sad days, but my Mom suffers more than I do. I know that this will help her along. :D

Eve of the next challenge and I have prepped my little notebook of everything for tomorrow. It's complete with my quests so that I am reminded of what I'm working toward during these next few weeks.

I will record yoga poses/times.

I will record food eaten so that I can then record it into MFP.

I will record those happy and positive thoughts, things, and ideas to keep me chugging when I'm having a lackluster sort of day.

I will make note to make To-Do Lists where I can see them and thus will be reminded if I'm forgetting to do anything.

In addition to the challenges, I've also started using the an app called Fabulous. It's pretty much a personal to-do list/routine maker to help you establish and keep good habits.

I have been making sure to drink water every morning when I wake up to try and help with my energy levels. It's free (yay!) and can be used for a multitude of things if anyone is looking for another way to help keep you on track with life.

Happy November, everyone! Here is to another successful challenge!

• Like 3

I've heard from multiple sources that the first thing you should do when you wake up is to drink 8 oz of water.  It kick-starts your organs and body into waking up and gets your energy levels ready to go!  People are at their most dehydrated after sleeping (well, except after drinking maybe 5 beers and eating 5 salty big pretzels in a row?) so the water wakes your body up and says YEAH LET'S ROCK~

Some people add lemon to it for an extra zing!  ZING!

• Like 2

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...

»  kom starkru

I've heard from multiple sources that the first thing you should do when you wake up is to drink 8 oz of water.  It kick-starts your organs and body into waking up and gets your energy levels ready to go!  People are at their most dehydrated after sleeping (well, except after drinking maybe 5 beers and eating 5 salty big pretzels in a row?) so the water wakes your body up and says YEAH LET'S ROCK~

Some people add lemon to it for an extra zing!  ZING!

*_____*  It's so true, too! I get this burst of energy and I just do everything that I know I want to get done as soon as possible when it comes. There is no crash afterward, but it's nice to have that much needed jolt.

• Like 1

Week One Day One

For the first day of the challenge, I was very proud of myself. I am finding that my key to success when it comes to this is not making a restrictive routine. Get some semblance of order, but allow for the necessary life changes that may come your way last minute. There is no added stress of 'ohmygosh this hasn't been done yet' but rather 'I finished this and now I can look forward to this'.

It's so much better this way!

I am also contemplating becoming a coach of sorts. A good friend of mine is one who was much like me both physical and mentally when she started. She started doing marathons, does a lot of work with 21 day Fix, Beach Body, other fitness challenges/products, and Shakeology. I was chatting with her this evening about taking part of their November gig and...I think I'm going to see about joining in. I'm still kind of ehhh about it, but there is no harm in trying it. And there is the possibility of having some kind of income in the process. I also feel like it could be another form of accountability on my part, but it all comes down to helping myself and helping others. So, we shall see! The extra income would be so nice to have to be honest. Fingers crossed!

I think the hardest part about that will be posting and trying to get my own people to let me be their coach. You never want to annoy or bother people, you know?

Anyway -- Quest time!

Sally: I am poking around for a bed yoga routine. My yoga area (my bedroom floor) is in a bit of a jumbled mess with switching around seasonal clothing, more purging, and stowing away Christmas presents. Bed yoga is nice and relaxing which is what I really need today.

Lock, Shock, and Barrel: So I did weigh myself this morning, and I did gain weight back. I'm not surprised and I wasn't shocked. This past week, I ate like crap. It wasn't terrible, but it could have been a lot better. HOWEVER -- that was my slap on the hand and I am not going to dwell on it. Doing that will only make me feel worse and then there is the chance of falling into that hole of 'I failed and I can't do this' .. etc. etc. I don't want that. I won't have that. That is not going to happen.

So today I was very mindful of what I was eating. I made sure to look at labels and measure out serving sizes. I was never tempted to gobble down a lot of anything -- especially Halloween candy which we have SO MUCH left over. In fact, I didn't have a sweet treat until after dinner. Then it was four Tootsie Rolls. With the gained weight, I think my numbers went up a little, but that's alright. Just because you think you have all the numbers in the world doesn't mean you do.

Also, keeping everything written down in my little journal? AMAZING. It was great to have right there where I could just make sure everything was recorded for later.

Jack: Mom and I took our moment today and wrote down five things that make us happy. I tucked them away in my notebook for when we are having sad days so that we can look back at them. I asked her, once we were done, how she felt. Physically, she is not doing well. She has an appointment tomorrow and a few coming up, so that's good. However, it did lift her spirits a bit to think about them while she wrote them down. That, I told her, was an accomplishment in my eyes. We are also looking into going to a four week seminar on Depression and Anxiety at the therapy center she goes to. We're definitely going mostly because I told her we need to go. :)

Mayor: I did make a list today and it was good to have as a reference. I got important things done like the kitchen, dishes, dinner prep...etc. I got most of the Halloween decorations taken down in the house. I just have a few more things to take care of and then I can store them away until next year.

• Like 2

So much great stuff in your day one post! I love this

am finding that my key to success when it comes to this is not making a restrictive routine. Get some semblance of order, but allow for the necessary life changes that may come your way last minute. There is no added stress of 'ohmygosh this hasn't been done yet' but rather 'I finished this and now I can look forward to this'.

and this

This past week, I ate like crap. It wasn't terrible, but it could have been a lot better. HOWEVER -- that was my slap on the hand and I am not going to dwell on it. Doing that will only make me feel worse and then there is the chance of falling into that hole of 'I failed and I can't do this' .. etc. etc. I don't want that. I won't have that. That is not going to happen.

Especially. You are really practicing being kind to yourself and it is so wonderful and inspiring. You absolutely deserve to be happy and treat yourself well. Keep on doing you, cause you rock! <3

• Like 2

Current

Level 11 Magic Cat Druid 

Head Flip Bitch (Team French Toast)

"A jug fills drop by drop" -Buddha

Battle Log

Past Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

(old) Battle Log

Accountabilibuddies: Doodlies

Embrace the Suck

Taking care of yourself and your mom with kindness and grace. ♡

You kinda rock.

Definitely go to that group!! Sometimes just listening to other people talk and what their viewpoints and thoughts are is refreshing, and can help put a new spin on things!!

Sent from deep within the wilds of Ascalon...

• Like 1

»  kom starkru

Great challenge, I love that you and your mom are doing the happiness journal together.

• Like 1

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Taking care of yourself and your mom with kindness and grace. ♡

You kinda rock.

Definitely go to that group!! Sometimes just listening to other people talk and what their viewpoints and thoughts are is refreshing, and can help put a new spin on things!!

Sent from deep within the wilds of Ascalon...

<3

We are definitely going to go. I am going to make the arrangements tomorrow. :D

Great challenge, I love that you and your mom are doing the happiness journal together.

Thank you! I know it's only been two days since the challenge started, but she takes that time with me when I hand her the index card to write down things. We share them with each other, too. I like seeing the things that make her happy because then I know what I can do more of when she's having a down day. :D

• Like 1

Week One Day Two

I loved today. There were some not so happy moments, but they passed. One was getting a flu shot (UGH NEEDLES I LOATHE THEE) but it was over in a second. However, I am apparently an oddity who can literally feel the liquid going into the muscle and....al;sdkjfl;aksjdf. It feels SO WEIRD. The nurse who administered the needle (who was super gentle and awesome) is the same way. My Mom? She thought we were crazy. Come to find out that my step-dad has THE SAME ISSUE. I can't even describe it. It's just the weirdest feeling EVER. I'm shuddering just typing about it and my psychosomatic brain is making my left arm ache just a bit where I had my shot.

My Mom also has to get two MRIs done in the upcoming weeks. One for her shoulder, which we have been told has the possibility of having torn muscles and tendons (OUCH!) on top of everything else that is already ailing her. She has to get another MRI done two days before Christmas for her liver. They are making sure that the hemangioma on the liver is just that. Lots of medical jargon that I kind of understand these days, but don't. Hopefully they will just figure out what is happening and we can start to see some progress. I also hope when they do the bone density that the shot she has been taking every day for almost a year is actually doing what it's suppose to be doing.

Good points?

Mom and I had THE BEST DAY. It was 20C (hello, Indian Summer!) so we strolled through downtown Bowmanville for a bit. I got some rad books at a second hand shop and we had an adorable afternoon tea lunch at a local place I've been dying to try. I also got her a bit hooked on scones. I'm going to whip up a batch of pumpkin ones later this week. Not to mention the hidden treasure trove of more local shops (and a brewery we did not visit but plan to!) we found off the beaten path. An adorable fabric shop, a chocolate factory with homemade chocolates (...and yes I got a small assortment of truffles because they had port wine, pistachio, and a list of other delectable flavors sitting in the case), and a bakery with a lot of homemade delicious things.

The weather is suppose to stay this nice all week, so we are going to try and get out for a few hours each day. Take in the warm weather while we can before that cold comes a-calling.

THAT SAID~~~~

Sally: 5 Minute yoga in bed routine will be done before passing out this evening. We did a lot of walking today as well, which felt amazing. I did the same 5 minute yoga routine last night. Not only did I sleep like a rock, but I woke up feeling really great as well! I used 5 Minute Yoga Before Bed - Yoga By Candace and it definitely was what I was looking for.

Lock, Shock, and Barrel: I wrote down everything that I ate today in my notebook. My menu was filled with more carbs than anything. Especially with scones. I have only eaten TWO of the chocolate truffles when part of me just wanted to eat the whole box in one sitting. Especially the dark chocolate ones since they're a dark cacao and askjf;lskjdflk. Yes. Keyboard smashing was necessary. While I do love enjoying baked goods by these delightful bakeries and what not? The hardest thing is figuring out the nutritional value...which is why making your own baked goods and eating at home is so much healthier for you. REGARDLESS -- it was worth it because I enjoyed it. Mom enjoyed it. Everything was enjoyable and that is what it should be!

Jack: Not only did we have a lot of happy moments during the day, but we took our few moments to write down our happy list. It's kind of scary because my Mom and I tend to share a brain. Scary actually doesn't do it justice. We literally have the same thoughts either at the same time or just minutes apart from the other. I love that we find fun in really simple things, too. We love browsing second hand shops (which we have a number of around here!), crafting together, and having our afternoons either hanging out around the house or going out. I will stand by the thought that I lost my job for a reason. There was some cosmic power that knew my Mom needed me. I'm just glad that I am now strong enough to be able to be her rock this time around. :)

Mayor: I am working off my list from yesterday. Everyone decided it was time to bring me laundry at the same time, so I am working through that mess. Tomorrow I will have another run through to do with the kitchen and a few more Halloween decorations to take down from outside. I just love fighting with the fake spider webs...

tumblr_m94kaxCLyc1qko769o1_r1_500.gif

• Like 1

Ah, sometimes I feel the liquid from vaccines too.  I think it might depend how long the stuff is out of the fridge (like if it's colder, it's more noticeable), maybe exactly where they put it in or maybe it just varies from vaccine to vaccine. It's definitely weird.

Level 9 Amazon Druid
STR : 17 | DEX : 23 | STA : 22 | CON : 23 | WIS : 21 | CHA : 15
Challenges: Current, 8, 7.1, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3.1, 3, 2, 1
Battle Log

Ah, sometimes I feel the liquid from vaccines too.  I think it might depend how long the stuff is out of the fridge (like if it's colder, it's more noticeable), maybe exactly where they put it in or maybe it just varies from vaccine to vaccine. It's definitely weird.

That is EXACTLY it. I'm glad someone else knows what I'm talking about and I'm not just rambling like some nutcase! LOL

Week One Day Three

I'm not entirely sure how to categorize yesterday. I'll get to the specifics in a second, but it was a weird day. I could actually feel myself going up and down an emotional road...and I'm not sure why. I'm feeling better today, which is definitely good. Yesterday though I felt almost manic at times. Bursts of energy at some points and then feeling like I had the weight of the world on me during other points.

ON TO QUESTS~

Sally: 5 Minutes of yoga before bed. My mood made me feel extremely heavy, so I probably held poses for longer than I should. That was okay, though. I was doing my best to relax, let all the bad flow out of me, and just try and find a happy place. I did feel a little better after the fact and I slept really well. Also I made sure to burn my favorite candle. That always helps!

Lock, Shock, and Barrel: As always, I am having a battle with my food. Not so much with making bad choices, but with finding things to eat. Weird, I know, but I get into this mindset where I'm just NOT hungry. Which isn't entirely good because when I do finally feel hungry, I'm either casual or ravenous. I'm going to try the route in which if I'm not particularly hungry, I'm going to at least have a smoothie or SOMETHING that has some protein in it. That's what I did yesterday -- I had some cheese and crackers for lunch. Port Wine cheese is SO GOOD. By far my favorite cheese ever. 2 TBSPs of the delicious stuff and I have protein, calcium, vitamin A, and very low fat, sugar, and carbs. I'm almost positive that some of them are, indeed, 0. The crackers I had were counted out and they were a perfect amount for the cheese serving. And ... I FELT FULL. I was content and that's always good. It was also good that my early meals and snacks were good because we ended up going out for dinner last night. I got THE MOST DELICIOUS BURGER EVER but got a salad to compliment it. I did steal a few fries from my Mom, but OM NOM NOM. I wanted that burger more than anything else. Peppercorn and pesto and a pretzel bun and MMMMMM. Not to mention I got to indulge in some delicious balsamic vinegar on my salad. Extra noms!

Jack: WE DID NOT DO OUR HAPPY CARDS YESTERDAY. That means we have to do TWO today. That was all on me. I didn't forget, but I didn't remember either. Maybe that was why my mood was all MEH.

Mayor: DOING PRETTY GOOD. Laundry is forever. I'm serious. FOR.EV.ER. Five people is a lot of laundry. I don't know how folks with more handle it. I don't. @____@

MORE GOOD THINGS TONIGHT FOR DAY FOUR!

• Like 2

I'm not entirely sure how to categorize yesterday. I'll get to the specifics in a second, but it was a weird day. I could actually feel myself going up and down an emotional road...and I'm not sure why. I'm feeling better today, which is definitely good. Yesterday though I felt almost manic at times. Bursts of energy at some points and then feeling like I had the weight of the world on me during other points.

Ugghh these days, THESE DAYS.  The literal worst.  The times where I feel like I can't control it just makes me crabby!! x.x

Glad you got through it ok - onward!!!

»  kom starkru