Salivanth Escapes the Axiom!

Salivanth

Author's Note: While I took a lot of influence from WALL-E, this challenge takes place on an Earth of my own creation. You can think of it as a fairly standard post-apocalyptic setting, with renegade machines taking the place of mutants. The Wall-E characters do not exist in this setting.

Tonight would be the night I'd been planning for almost a year; the night of my escape. I double-checked my provisions to ensure everything was in order. All was in place. I pressed the button on my chair, calling my robot. It responded quickly, awaiting my commands.

"I'm feeling in much better health tonight, my good robot." I said. "I'd like to throw a party! Go fetch John, Luca, Sarah, and Terrence for me. And bring a bucket of fried chicken for us. Family-sized. Actually, bring the bucket first; I'm feeling peckish."

The robot looked happy, as much as a robot could, and rushed off to carry out my commands. I wasn't surprised at its happiness. After all, I was wasting away, my appetite dwindling far below what was normal and healthy for a human. Or so everyone thought. After all, when one loses weight and declines seconds on the Axiom, nobody expects it to be a deliberate decision. I'd been losing weight for almost a year now, in preparation.

6yHwJaZ.png

The bucket arrived, and the robot left to collect my friends. Friends who just so happened to live as far away from my cabin as possible, in completely opposite directions. I swiftly dumped the chicken out of the bucket and hopped out of my chair. Reaching under the bed, I grabbed the provisions I had stored, and put as much as I could into the bucket. Pocketing my MiniTablet, I left the room.

I ran through nearly deserted back corridors, only the occasional cleaning or service robot noticing me. None of them even glanced, used to serving people in their chairs, rather than people moving swiftly without them. Within a few minutes, I'd reached my destination; the Museum of Ancient Technology. When I first recognised the object I was here for now on my research, I couldn't believe it. It was one of the most valuable items I'd ever seen, the key to my survival on the surface.

A bionic enhancement, capable of turning a slow-moving human like myself into a superhuman, capable of travelling dozens of miles in a day. 10 miles per hour or more; an unheard of speed without motorised assistance, and significantly more downhill if the old vids were to be believed. The bionic cyclotron, or bicycle.

boq4MFp.jpg

I removed the velvet rope. There was no going back now; the alarm began sounding as I put my supplies in the attached basket, and hopped on. I promptly fell off with a crash. I'd never ridden a free-standing bicycle before. My only practice was on the old stationary machines in the unused gym, stolen hours in the dead of night. Remembering the vids I'd studied, the people who rode it tended to start pedalling immediately. That must activate the bike's balancing magnets or something. I righted the bike and tried it.

I was moving! It was very wobbly, and I felt like I was going to fall off again at any second, but I was moving. As I picked up speed, some unknown mechanism stabilised the cycle, and I began wobbling less. I'd selected a route to the escape pods that was mostly straight, knowing I'd have trouble turning. I pedalled down the main corridor now, choosing speed over stealth, and trusting that the robots wouldn't know what to do when they encountered a person actually riding a bicycle. Certainly the humans in their chairs didn't know how to react, staring at me as though I'd grown a second head as I pedalled by.

A couple of very slow turns later, and I had arrived at the pods. I chose a big one, big enough to fit me and the bicycle, and shut the door. Fortunately, the interface was virtually idiot-proof, and I quickly had it set on a course for a place nobody on the Axiom had visited in living memory.

The surface. Earth.

Ju6qLE8.png

• Like 2

Hi all. For this challenge, I'll be doing story posts in italics, and regular posts in regular font. I've played around a bit with timings for the sake of the narrative. It did take me a little less than a year (11 months) to achieve the weight loss in the picture above, but I haven't just finished, it's been a while. I've also had my bike for a couple of months.

So why did I choose the Axiom? I recently watched WALL-E (I know, it's been out forever), and decided that the Axiom was a good (if over-dramatized) metaphor for something most of us use all the time without thinking; cars. We use cars to drive distances that could easily be biked, and in doing so, we not only cost ourselves money, we cost ourselves a chance for some exercise! My fitness goal for this challenge, and for the previous two months, is and has been to get stronger at biking, so I can use the car less. I'm lucky enough to live in a situation now where I don't need to own a car. I'll talk more about why I want to go car-free later, but to sum it up; Cars are expensive, and bikes are great for fitness.

So let's get to my goals for this challenge.

Goal One: Master the bionic cyclotron! Ride at least 400 km (~250 miles) over the next six weeks. (+3 STA, +1 STR, +1 WIS) (-1 stat point per 50 km below target)

The big one. My trip into town is about a 25 km round trip, so if I can make 16 trips into town by bike in the next six weeks, I'll have my goal achieved. Since I normally need to take at least 5 bikable trips per fortnight, if I do all of them plus one more miscellaneous trip, that's the 400 kilometers I need. It'll save me about $60 in petrol, or $150 in miscellaneous operating costs, so that's a point in WIS as well. I also have a goal to use the car no more than five times in November, but that'd go above the number of goals permitted in a challenge, so I'll keep that one to myself. 

Goal Two: Get into survival shape! Lose at least 2 kg (4.5 lb) by the end of the challenge. (+2 CON, +1 WIS) (-1 stat point per .5 kg below target)

I've lost a fair bit of weight, but there's still more fat I can shed, especially as that picture was taken a while back. I haven't gotten much fatter since then, but I have put on a small amount of weight. I currently weigh 61.6 kg (135.5 lb) at 5'4'', and so I want to be at 59.6 kg (131 lb) or lower by the challenge's end. 57 kg (125 lb) seems like a good end goal for now. 2 kg in six weeks is not a particularly aggressive target, but while I do need to lose weight, I'm not fat. Hell, the main reason I'm trying to lose weight is because of the uphill sections of my bike route. They're the ones telling me I need to lose weight, but I don't think they're going to listen to arguments :)

Goal Three: Ration supplies! Save at least 50% of my income. (+3 WIS) (-1 stat point per 10% below target)

Part of the reason I want to go car-free is to save money. I'm a student, so I don't earn much, but I also live with my grandmother at the moment, which helps me save money. By keeping my expenses quite low, I want to save 50% of my income. This is definitely achievable, especially as I'm giving up soda for my side quest. This'll also help me reach my yearly goal of $10k in savings, which I set all the way back in January when I had less than 2k saved up. I'm at about 9.4k now, so I'm almost certain to reach it. Even so, saving more money is always good.

Life Quest: Learn about the machines! Program for at least 5 hours per week. (+2 WIS) (-1 stat point per hour/week below target)

I'm a computer science student, so I need to start work on a portfolio. My plan for a summer project is a small RPG I call MiniGauntlet. Instead of an open world, players just go through a series of fights, with a Final Fantasy style party of warrior, mage, rogue, and healer. The combat is cooldown-based, and meant to be fast and furious. In most fights, the player has either gained or lost control of the fight in the first few critical turns, bosses being the exception. I'll likely be programming it in Python, but I'll be doing some physical prototyping first. I did Game Design last semester, so I may as well use the lessons it taught me.

Side Quest: Eliminate dependence! Give up soft drink. (+2 CON) (-1 point if I have to buy more. -2 points if I fail to give it up.)

I'm currently in the process of giving up soft drink. The way I'm handling it is that I have one bottle of soft drink, and I'll be using that to wean myself off soft drink. I'll consider this goal a success if I go the entirety of Week 6 without drinking any soft drink, but I don't expect it to take that long. Based on prior experience, I should be off it within 2-3 weeks, but we'll see what happens.

• Like 1

Great challenges and love all the bike riding.  I did a 174 mile challenge for my last one and got a little more than 200 miles all together.

Hardway

Level 13 Half Orc Scout

Strength:8  Dexterity:8   Constitution:8  Intelligence:6
Wisdom:6  Charisma:7

Han Solo  Challenge

20%
20%

Batroc Challenge Challenge

25%
25%

Malak Challenge

4%
4%

Yasss, I love a good story!  *opens the popcorn and settles in for the long run*

The difference between those two photos is huge.  You must be really proud to see the effects of your hard work on your strength and your gut.

How long does 25km take to cycle?  You ran and now you cycle, if you swim next then you'll be almost ready for a triathlon!!!

Oh wow, I love the sound of your RPG game!  If you come across any awesome resources or just interesting tidbits when you are coding it, then feel free to post about them.  I haven't planned the game I want to do yet, but I feel certain that yours will be more complex.   I like that you are doing this at the same time as me though, so I can look to you for inspiration :)

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

Why 174? That seems like a very specific number :)

Congrats on the 200!

It was a specific number :)  I mimiced famous thieves and the ride of Dick Turpin from London to York was my goal :)

Hardway

Level 13 Half Orc Scout

Han Solo  Challenge

20%
20%

25%
25%

Malak Challenge

4%
4%

Yasss, I love a good story!  *opens the popcorn and settles in for the long run*

The difference between those two photos is huge.  You must be really proud to see the effects of your hard work on your strength and your gut.

How long does 25km take to cycle?  You ran and now you cycle, if you swim next then you'll be almost ready for a triathlon!!!

Oh wow, I love the sound of your RPG game!  If you come across any awesome resources or just interesting tidbits when you are coding it, then feel free to post about them.  I haven't planned the game I want to do yet, but I feel certain that yours will be more complex.   I like that you are doing this at the same time as me though, so I can look to you for inspiration :)

It took me 2+ hours when I started, but I'd say I have it down to about 90 minutes these days. I've never pushed it hard on the whole 25 km in the same day though; I treat the cycling as more of a commute than a workout, so I'm happy to do it at a more relaxed pace.

I'm definitely happy with how much progress I've made since I started, though I can definitely still be healthier. I'm not doing strength work at the moment because I'm adjusting to the biking workload, and I want to remove as many obstacles to that as possible. Since biking isn't just good for fitness, but also saves me ~$4,000 a year in not needing to buy and maintain a car, I want to turn it into a lifelong habit. Once that's done, I want to get back to the strength work.

I intend to go through this book for inspiration on structure and such, while going through the game's prototype stage, which will be done in paper form, with me playing the role of computer. I read through about half of it a few months ago, and it was invaluable. Chapter 9: Hangman especially taught me about how to display a board state, and how to structure a simple game. Once my prototype is good and I've read through the book, I'll start coding. The plan is that this way, I won't have to make stuff up about the game's structure as I go along. I'll have a ready-made structure that I know is functional and internally complete (i.e, it works with no rules ambiguities) before I start, which will be supremely helpful.

I've definitely got a story planned, to be told week by week, so I hope you enjoy it :)

• Like 1

Several hours passed, my excitement and trepidation growing in equal measure. What would I find on the surface? Would I even be able to survive? Would the Axiom actually take me back? As this last question dawned, I began to wonder if I'd made the right decision. Life on the Axiom was boring and unfulfilling, but at least food, shelter and comfort were guaranteed. My resolve was hardened by the knowledge that, at the very least, I could take a look at the surface. Even if I stopped there, I would have achieved more than anyone else on the Axiom probably had in centuries.

And then, all of a sudden, we were there. The pod landed with a mechanical hiss, and the door opened. Slowly, I ducked my head out of the pod. Seeing nothing threatening, I wheeled the bike out of the pod, and looked around. 

I was standing on a decent-sized plateau that the pod had automatically gravitated to. Around me were numerous peaks and valleys, some flying creatures circling a large peak a few miles away. They were too far away for me to make out any details, but they looked bird-like. All around was a reddish-brown earth that I'd only ever seen in my research before. I knelt down and picked up a handful, letting it run through my fingers. This was dirt. A substance that represented everything the Axiom wasn't. This was real. 

The other thing I noticed was the metal. Scraps of metal and wire littered the landscape, wreckage of machines long dead, some of them covering other, even older machines. It was only then that I realised that machines had nowhere to actually go when they died, here. Not all trash was incinerated. And the machines had been the custodians of this planet for a long time. But even so, to me, it was beautiful.

Stretching my legs, I took the bike out for a quick spin around the plateau. After a few minutes, I was getting better at getting a running start and keeping my balance, pedalling slowly around in circles. This would do for now; I'd get plenty more experience as I explored the area, after all. I double-checked my supplies, and sent the pod back up to the Axiom. Its engines roared as it began the laborious journey back to the Axiom, much slower than it had been on the way down as it fought against gravity.

It was morning on this region of the planet, so I'd have at least a few hours here before I needed to find shelter. If I didn't find any, I could always bring the pod back down and sleep in that. In the meantime, I could explore for a cave or overhang, sheltered from the rain. That's what people did in survival movies, after all. My plan was foolproof, which just goes to show the ingenuity of a fool. Suddenly, disaster struck.

While I'd been ruminating, I'd missed the approach of a swarm of mechanical bird-like creatures. They were about the size of a miniature cleaning robot, or a shorter version of one of my bike's wheels. With bewildering speed, they attacked the slow-moving escape pod. Despite the buffeting, the escape pod kept its course until one of the creatures broke through one of the windows. It flew inside, and the pod began to go berserk as the bird presumably attacked the controls. Then the engines turned off, and the pod began to fall. I watched in horror as it fell faster and faster into one of the valleys below, before landing with a deafening boom.

Then I heard a shrill mechanical screech, and looked up at the source. The creatures were looking at me now, and as I stared, they began to dive...

• Like 1

50 kilometres (31 miles) down! Had a fantastic ride yesterday; the rare double tail-wind. One in, one back. Especially on the way in, I think I would have set a new record if I'd been timing myself. The road tires I bought just before this challenge are definitely working well, too. Funnily enough, I got swooped by magpies today. In Australia, magpies are aggressive birds that will routinely swoop down on cyclists that enter their territory. I've been tagged quite a few times by them, but usually it's just on the helmet. I thought their breeding season was over, but as soon as I write about the mechanical birds that were inspired by the magpies, they're back again!

So I guess both Salivanth and my real-life self will be on the receiving end of bird attacks for the near future. Fortunately, magpies are not, to my knowledge, co-ordinated or powerful enough to destroy an airborne vehicle. Though I suppose one could get caught in a plane engine if it wished to give its life for the cause. 

I should get a minimum of 75 km this week, perhaps 100. Since 75 km per week equates to 450 over the course of the challenge, I'm pretty happy with how it's going. Since I have to ride in for a local Magic: The Gathering tournament (Friday Night Magic for all you Magic players) on Friday, barring some unusual circumstances I'll at least meet my total for the week.

As for my other goals, giving up soft drink continues to progress. I've had one glass of soft drink each day for the past two days, and should be having my first no soft drink day soon. I haven't done any programming work yet, but I've done some work in creating a physical prototype for my game. It's difficult because of the sheer amount of information that needs to be displayed; health, status, players, enemies, moves of the players. I've already dropped down from a party of four to a party of three, though I'm unsure if that'll make it into the digital version. That's what playtesting's for!

I plan on getting a couple of hours of programming study done tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes. Not planning on programming the actual game until the physical version has been tested, so in the meantime I'll be going through Invent With Python to hopefully gain some insight into how my game's classes should be structured. Progress on goals will be shown weekly, with the exception of the savings and potentially weight loss goals, which will be fortnightly. A week isn't long enough to really get a sense of weight loss, and since I get paid on a fortnightly basis, my savings rate per week naturally fluctuates massively. Per fortnight is more stable.

Thanks for reading!

• Like 1

So far you and I are the only two to complete the 25 miles :)  Which means Wandering Monster Wensday might be brutal for us

Hardway

Level 13 Half Orc Scout

Han Solo  Challenge

20%
20%

25%
25%

Malak Challenge

4%
4%

Haven't had to ride anywhere the last couple days, so I still stand at 50 km for the week. Will be riding in tonight though, if the weather holds up, so I should be at 75 by the end of the day. I also did a hundred push-ups as part of my accountabilibuddy challenge, 8 sets of 10, then 4 sets of 5. Two days later, my shoulders are still voicing their displeasure. I really have to get back into strength training next challenge. As soon as I'm used to riding the bike pretty much everywhere, I want to start again. Biking is great, but it's certainly not the whole picture.

I've got two hours of programming done; the Invent With Python book is proving quite useful. Haven't gotten to object-oriented programming yet, but still learning some neat stuff. 

Finally, I went around 36-40 hours without soft drink. Going for 48 this time around. 

All in all, things are going quite well.

• Like 2

All in all, things are going quite  extremely well.

I saw a typo, but don't worry I fixed it for you.  You are off to a flying start with everything!   Which accountabilibuddy group is it? 

And thanks for mentioning that gaming book, it looks like it will be very useful :)

Level 11 Morgana Scout

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

Sounds great, diet soda is a huge crutch for me, gotta have it

Yeah, same here. Honestly, even without the savings, "having to have it" is a pretty good reason to stop drinking it to begin with. 

I saw a typo, but don't worry I fixed it for you.  You are off to a flying start with everything!   Which accountabilibuddy group is it? 

And thanks for mentioning that gaming book, it looks like it will be very useful :)

Yeah, my bad. The keys are right next to each other :P Glad you're liking the book.

The accountabilibuddy group is The Order of the Stick. Our dungeon master Hardway takes us through a six-week adventure each challenge, which consists of a series of individual or team-based challenges each week, plus wandering monsters. This week, we had an individual challenge to travel 25 miles to where the adventure begins; easy enough for me and my bike. The wandering monster was to do 4 push-ups for every mile travelled, so I had to do the full hundred. 

It's great fun; I should add them to my signature. In fact, I'll do that right now.

• Like 1

Week One Progress Report

One week in, and time for the progress report.

Goal One: Ride 400 km (250 miles) across six weeks: (75/400)

75 km done for the first week. If I do that each week, that'll be 450 km, giving me a nice safety margin. This was achieved through three trips to town. I'll be going into town thrice this week as well, potentially four, and I'll be riding on each of those trips if all goes well. So I should be at 150 by the end of Week 2.

Goal Two: Lose 2 kg.

I haven't measured this yet. I'll probably weigh myself every 2-3 weeks. Calorie-wise, I've had some good days (mostly bike-riding days) and bad days (mostly non-riding days). Since 25 km of biking burns up approximately 500 calories, the amount of calories below maintenance I eat tends to fluctuate quite a lot. I'm unsure how it'll all turn out in the end. I haven't been particularly strict on myself; if my weight loss is insufficient, I'll just have to restrict myself further. But really, I'm in no huge rush. I'm not fat any more, so as long as I'm losing weight, the rate isn't a massive priority. Still, losing 2 kg would be nice.

Goal Three: Save 50% of my income. 

I'm going to be removing this goal. I get paid at the end of Week 1, 3, and 5, making it very awkward to track expenses over the 6-week period. I'll still be saving money, but doing that on my own. I'll re-distribute the points this week.

Life Goal: Program at least 5 hours per week. (2/5)

Not good; will definitely have to step it up this week, especially since I'm back at Uni starting Week 3. I have made some good progress during those hours, but I can definitely get more hours in.

Side Goal: Give up soft drink.

Going well. I haven't bought any more, and I'm going two days at a time without any now. I've only got a little bit left, so one way or another I'll be off it completely very soon.

I should have the next story post up within 8 hours or so.

• Like 1

I hopped on the bike and began to flee. This time I didn't fall off. Thanking any deity that would listen that I'd gotten some practice in a few minutes ago, I rode onto a narrow downhill path as the wingbeats drew closer. I pedalled faster and faster, but didn't seem to be going much faster. One of my feet flew off the pedals, and I suddenly remembered gears. Cranking the gears downward, I began going faster just in time, as a screech came from just behind me, and I heard a terrible crack as one of the birds tore into my helmet.

The terrain was dangerous, but I went faster still. A part of me went calm as I wondered if I'd fall. The complexity of life had faded away, replaced by one simple fact; if I fell, I would die. That was all that mattered. I began to make some ground on the skirges, before having to slow down slightly to make a turn. Twice my legs were almost hit by sharp bits of debris as I rode, but finally the sounds began to ease, and the wingbeats ceased. It was still at least five minutes by my count before I dared to even slow down.

By the time my near-suicidal pace slowed, I was exhausted, covered in sweat, front of my legs burning, and I had descended quite a long way. Looking carefully up at the sky, I didn't see any birds in sight. Carefully, I slowed to a stop, and got off the bike. I was ready for the slightest hint of their return, but after a minute, there was none. Taking off my helmet, I gasped. There was a large gash in the material. I shuddered to think of what might have happened if I hadn't been wearing it.

Looking up at the sky again, I noticed several flying dots above my position. Heart in my throat, I hopped on the bike and began pedalling again. I wasn't sure if that was the birds returning or not, as I sped from the area without hearing any signs of them. But I wasn't taking any chances. As soon as I found a large enough space to land the escape pod, that was it. This was too dangerous; I was going home. I descended for another twenty minutes or so, before I emerged from the mountain trail into a small valley. Valley? Gulch? Canyon? I'd never bothered to learn the actual difference between them; I only knew the different names from video game levels anyway. There wasn't much call for study on the Axiom.

The valley had a cave and a small spring, but more importantly, it had flat ground. I went to call for an escape pod, when I suddenly froze. Those mechanical monsters had destroyed the last one as it ascended. Not only could calling down an escape pod bring them on my position, there was no way I could actually leave the planet in it. I couldn't even take the chance. If I brought the birds down on my position here, without any downhill section to augment my speed, I probably wouldn't be able to get away from them. 

I was trapped.

• Like 1

The Order of Stick (random name) looks really fun although it is a bit of pain that it is mostly on facebook.  Do you know if they do it every challenge or whether it is a new thing?

Congrats on weaning yourself of soda drinks so well this past week and getting ahead of schedule with your cycling!   What is your plan this week for getting those hours of study into your week? Weekends/mornings/evenings?

Level 11 Morgana Scout

The Order of Stick (random name) looks really fun although it is a bit of pain that it is mostly on facebook.  Do you know if they do it every challenge or whether it is a new thing?

Congrats on weaning yourself of soda drinks so well this past week and getting ahead of schedule with your cycling!   What is your plan this week for getting those hours of study into your week? Weekends/mornings/evenings?

I don't know how long they've been doing it, but they've been doing it for at least one challenge before this one, so I assume they have plans to continue. Order of the Stick is a reference to this webcomic. If you know anything about Dungeons and Dragons, you'd probably enjoy it. I agree about Facebook, but what can you do? I made a fake account, Sal Ivanth, and used that.

I haven't really thought about a plan for when to get the hours of study in. I usually study of an evening, but that's been less than successful lately. Now that I'm not drinking soft drink frequently, I find myself getting tired earlier and not wanting to study. I'm not a morning person, so I suppose that leaves afternoons. 

Got a bit of programming in despite a mild illness, and I'll have my first semester's university results confirmed on Friday. They're looking very good so far though.

I also have to do three strength workouts this week for Order of the Stick, so I got my first one done today. Leg raise progression, squat progression, push-up progression, and row progression. If I stick to the strength workouts after the week ends, I'll add a pull-up progression and a dip progression once I get some of my old strength back.

• Like 1

With uni starting back next week, I've decided not to continue with the challenge. I won't be leaving Nerd Fitness, and I'll still be pursuing my goals on my own. I'll still be sticking around to participate in the threads I'm following and in my accountabilibuddy group, but I'll be doing it without a 6-week challenge. I've run into the same problem as before, where having goals is great, but writing about them here doesn't seem to achieve much for me, and it takes up my time that I'd rather spend doing other things.

Besides, I prefer a month-to-month system when it comes to my goals anyway, across 6 weeks. If I decide I want to post about accomplishments every now and then, I can always start a battle log.

If the challenges don't benefit you, then you are right to stop and it is good sign that you can identify things that don't work for you.   Hope you continue to do well with your cycling and the new semester treats you well!   Have fun questing with your group :)

Level 11 Morgana Scout