Aquamom

Ok, so we're about to run out for lunch, so maybe this isn't the best time to be posting my thread, but I'll just leave as a placeholder here.  

Quick note about the name change - being a mom is a really important part of who I am and while I am a huge Star Wars fan (hence original name of JK_Mom), I think Aquamom will fit me better as I rehab my two bad feet.  My left ankle was sprained earlier this month and has not been healing well, while my right foot may have a stress fracture (I'll find out 11/2) or some more tendinitis.  At any rate, this challenge period, I want to focus on mindfulness and upper-body strength.  More to come later!

• Like 1

Atlantean Ranger

Epic Quest Level 4

"Remember - I'm still the king of the Seven Seas!  And if I wish I can command all the creatures of the sea to attack you - at once!"

Hello Friends!

This is the real start of my challenge thread!  Hooray!

The good news is that I do not have a stress fracture in my right foot, the bad news is that the doctors has no idea what is going on and wants me to stay in the boot for two weeks.  Oh well.

Current Main Quest:  Be able to see my hip tattoo in the mirror (without me sucking my tum-tum).

Mini-Quest #1:  Cardio (bike or swimming) at least 3x's a week!  This, of course, is contingent upon my ankle and foot cooperating.  (3 pts for Stamina)

Mini-Quest #2:  Push-ups!  I used to be able to bang-out push-ups.  They are an easy and quick bodyweight exercise that I can knock out in the mornings.  For these 6 weeks I'm going to stick with the 6-week program over at hundredpushups.com.  I completed my initial test and am ready to start!  (I got 15 push-ups on the initial test)  Note - I will be doing modified push-ups instead of full push-ups which would aggravate my ankle and foot.  (3 pts for strength)

Mini-Quest #3 (Nutrition):  Halloween was rough and I have not been good about logging my food.  Therefore, I am committing to logging everything I eat for the next 6-weeks - good or bad.  It's on the MFP log.  (3 pts. Constitution)

Life Quest #1:  Finish the Woodrow Wilson biography I just started.  The book is 750 pages long so I will have to average 18 pages a day.  But I can do it!  :)  (3 pts Wisdom)

Life Quest #2:  Ok so this really like a long-stretch of a goal, so it's a bonus quest - see if I can get 100% on Lego Batman 3.  (3 pts Charisma)

If I get really fancy - I will link a spreadsheet. . .

• Like 2

Atlantean Ranger

Epic Quest Level 4

"Remember - I'm still the king of the Seven Seas!  And if I wish I can command all the creatures of the sea to attack you - at once!"

Ok, so this week hasn't gotten off to the greatest start, but that's ok - the challenge is early!

Quest 1:  I haven't been able to do any cardio because my feet/ankles have been hurting. 

Quest 2:  Did the initial test on Monday, still need to get my push-ups in today. . . 

Quest 3:  Logging is going well.  :)

Life Quest 1:  Wilson is slow, especially because I'm so tired by the time I pick up the book.  Hopefully I can make up some pages this weekend!

Life Quest 2:  I have chosen to catch up on Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. the last two nights, but again, I hope I can make up some time on this soon.

• Like 2

Atlantean Ranger

Epic Quest Level 4

Ok, so, Quest 1 is still on hold.  I was told last night by the physical therapist that even the stationary bike is probably not a good idea right now. . . . argh.  Lots of frustration!

Quest 2:  Managed 15 on my last set (5th set - AMRAP) of push-ups yesterday.  Bonus was that doing them staved off a panic attack!

Quest 3:  I really need to be better about logging.  I do really well, until dinner.  

Life Quest 1:  Yeah, not moving so much on this one. . . 

Life Quest 2:  I haven't had access to my 360 so that's not moving either.

Overall though I'm trying to not get down on myself for the lack of exercise and am trying to stay positive.

• Like 2

Atlantean Ranger

Epic Quest Level 4

I've been able to get on the recumbent a couple times at PT which has felt good.

My anxiety/depression is flaring up quite badly and I made the decision to try a new medication which I need to pick up today.  We'll see how that works.

My Wilson biography is going well, I just need to spend more time reading it.  Push-ups - not so well.  I just need to do them.  

Atlantean Ranger

Epic Quest Level 4

So. . .I got on the rowing machine this morning and it felt amazing!  I think I'm going to use that as my cardio and really try to get a workout in every other day.

I found a web-site with some good beginner's workouts.  Today I did the following:

5 min (warm-up - 20 spm goal) Distance rowed:  1012 m

REST

5 min (22 spm) (And now that I'm reviewing the workout, I was supposed to stop here, oh well!) Distance rowed:  1032 m

REST

5 min (22 spm) Distance rowed:  1048

REST

5 min (cool-down - 20 spm) Distance rowed:  969 m (I also moved the resistance down on this set to make sure I was actually doing a cool down set).

I really focused on keeping my stroke rate down because I have propensity to kill myself and go super high-intensity.  By focusing on nice "easy" rowing, I was to go for a longer period of time.  My body can already feel the workout (in that good way) which is awesome!

Then I bench-pressed!  Just to get start getting those muscles moving again.  5 x 5 at 45 lbs.  

Last night I got my push-ups in too!  

Wilson:  I'm to page 150.  It's going well, but I'm finding I need to skim over a few parts that seem repetitive and long-winded.

Lego Batman 3.  We are spending no time at the apartment which is a good thing, but it also means no xbox so I've made no headway on this bonus goal.

• Like 3

Atlantean Ranger

Epic Quest Level 4

Just a quick update here - not much to talk about.  I had to find another home for our 2nd dog that I got in July.  I was training him to be a service dog for my anxiety, but he was too aggressive.  I spent yesterday morning in the ER with my son who got 3 stitches as a result of the dog.  It's been a rough couple days, but I'm looking up and ahead.  I'd like to get to the gym both days, but that might be tough as we have a guest in-town and I really want to finish up the kitchen cabinets!

• Like 1

Atlantean Ranger

Epic Quest Level 4

Hey Friends,

I'm having a hard time finding consistency!  That's just the truth.  I need to force myself to get out of bed every morning!  I'm so exhausted that it is making it quite difficult.  I started a new medication for my anxiety and I think that is having an effect on my ability to wake up.  NOrmally I'm a huge morning person.  Anyway, thats my check in.  However lame it might be.

• Like 1

Atlantean Ranger

Epic Quest Level 4

So, I didn't take my meds last night and I got up this morning - minimal problems!  

I worked on Monday, but it wasn't a full workout because the erg would not stay put.  I know I'm peetering out this challenge, but I've made some really good progress despite the lack of consistency.  I have logged my food much more regularly which has resulted in me being able to make healthier choices.  

I think I'm going to go find my battle log and fire it up. . . 

• Like 3

Atlantean Ranger

Epic Quest Level 4