Rangers Gonna Ranger: The Official Mini-Challenge

Rurik Harrgath

Me! Me! Can I ride a dragon?

Terah takes a deep breath and does what she can. Knowing that the Jedi leaders and her clan are watching, she eases into motion. It's isn't easy because she is recovering from an injury. Watching the others is hard because they move with such strength and grace. But Terah knows that she can improve and become stronger everyday. She is walking farther distances every day and plans to perform a surveillance walkabout in the local village shortly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: Keeping it Simple

Gah. And here I thought I might bow out of the Mini this time around due to time and scheduling, and then Rurik basically writes one that screams "Do it, or forever forfeit your chosen path."

Character Name: The Old Man

Alignment: Jedi (duh)
Race: Human
Class: Jedi Sentinel
Force Skills: Enlightening; Valor; Farseeing

Lightsaber: Purple

luke-skywalker.jpg

• Like 11

Jedi Knight - Current ChallengeBattle Log - Epic Quest

Wait, our stories crossover? I thought from the description of the Jedi master pickin out one special student (you a.k.a. each participant) that we were kind of running parallel versions of the same story

Isn't that some kind of parenting trick? Make each kid think they are special??

• Like 9

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Oh but they are all special.

• Like 6

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

ErucMN I like that Jedi Sentinel description.

Now for this weeks challenge. I figured I would do a walk with my daypack earlier. I started to head out to mow a section of my backyard that needed desperate attention. As I put my boots on, I looked at my daypack and thought why not? My daypack is loaded with the stuff I need for my Business studies course, a quick trip to to scales told me it was 3kg. So on it goes and I mowed for an hour with a 3kg pack on my back.

Rurik, I reckon I have just created the Mow-Ruck.

56fc72a6a79d30bd2f70099e65907a22.jpg

Selfie squeezing in the mower and straps of my pack.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 11

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Gah. And here I thought I might bow out of the Mini this time around due to time and scheduling, and then Rurik basically writes one that screams "Do it, or forever forfeit your chosen path.

I admit to nothing.

*cough*

Oh but they are all special.

;)

• Like 6

[ Level ?? ]    Havoc, the Cyberpunk Outrider. 

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

I'm honestly surprised there aren't more Sith.  From past experience, mostly in gaming, people tend to favor the 'evil' factions.

But NF has always been an interesting cross-section of society that way, among others.

• Like 3

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

So I'm up to 4.25 running and 3.8 miles walking.  I'm halfway there!

Oh and snap--I gave in to my anger!  I'm a sith now...

1c4e16501c8525813a98a021f1852f.jpg

OK, here goes my first Ranger mini-challenge!

Here's my character deets:

Character Name: MG99

Race: Mirialan/Cyborg

Home Planet: Kashyk

Alignment: Sith
Class: Ranger
Force Skills: Force Speed, Force Stealth, Force Persuasion, Force Throw, Force Wave

Lightsaber: Orange

Blade Type: Double straight blade

This week I will run or hike at least 18 miles.  

So far I've hiked 2.8 with my wolfen companion, not counting all the walking I do at work.

• Like 3

Level 21 Wild Elf Ranger/Assassin

Spoiler

I'm not really sure these stats are relevant anymore...

STR: 31 DEX: 26 STA: 30  CON: 24  WIS: 30 CHA: 26

Current Challenge

I'm honestly surprised there aren't more Sith.  From past experience, mostly in gaming, people tend to favor the 'evil' factions.

But NF has always been an interesting cross-section of society that way, among others.

I agree, though I am pretty sure people do it because it allows them to do things they can't in real life.

That's what I always did.

• Like 2

Human Ranger

More Than Survival

STR: 4.75 | DEX: 3 | STA: 2.5 | CON: 0 | WIS: 8.62 | CHA: 4.5

"I'd rather die chasing the dream then live only to dream more"

Yeah, but we're roleplaying some aspects of our real life fitness here. And secretly, or not so secretly, we all are thinking about using our fitness so we can be superheroes, super spies, witty  gun and/or whip toting archaeologists or survive the zombie apocalypse. Fitness roleplaying gives us the chance to speed up the schedule a little bit. I mean, yeah I've had the occasional urge to build a giant orbiting death ray, hop into massive mechanized battle suit and crush all who oppose my iron fisted rule. But usually it's that superhero-ey stuff.

• Like 10

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

Finally got around to choosing my week 1 goal!

I was thinking of using my planned ruck this weekend for this mini goal, but I'm already overlapping that from my challenge and the ruck PVP so I don't want to triple dip this activity.  Instead, I'm going to associate moving/getting around with mobility, since I've been focusing a lot of my effort on mobility. So this weeks goal, inspired by Jonahtan Mead's 30 day squat challenge,  is to accumulate 70+ minutes of primal squatting by the end of the week (average 10 minutes/day).

Last night I ate dinner in a squat (with a yoga block, but this counts IMO) so that gives me 20 minutes so far.

• Like 7

I have never heard of primal squatting

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

Level 4 Ranger

STR 4 STA 4 WIS 3 CON 3 INT 3 CHA 2 DEX 2

Holder of the Sal Ivanth Boots of Striding +2 (10% to distance traveled)

Wielder of the Bound Bow (25 pts magical or physical damage)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Definitely check out that link to Jonathan's site there's so much good info! Its all about how squatting is supposed to be our natural resting place, not sitting, and trying to get that back for your body is really good for mobility and translates into a bunch of other exercises. You may have also heard it referred to as 3rd world squatting?

Sent by TARDIS delivery service. Apologies for typos caused by interactions with the time vortex.

• Like 1

Hey nothing screams motivation like dying if you slack off. :)

I need this in my life.  Anyone up for some kind of Fitness or Die deathpact?  Surely that would get me working harder toward [Rurik's Chaotic Good Abs].

I agree, though I am pretty sure people do it because it allows them to do things they can't in real life.

That's what I always did.

Shoot All The Force Lightning!

Yeah, but we're roleplaying some aspects of our real life fitness here. And secretly, or not so secretly, we all are thinking about using our fitness so we can be superheroes, super spies, witty  gun and/or whip toting archaeologists or survive the zombie apocalypse. Fitness roleplaying gives us the chance to speed up the schedule a little bit. I mean, yeah I've had the occasional urge to build a giant orbiting death ray, hop into massive mechanized battle suit and crush all who oppose my iron fisted rule. But usually it's that superhero-ey stuff.

Valid point, and as I mentioned above NF represents a different snapshot of social culture here.  There is little to no trolling, zero forum wars that I've seen, and scarcely any flaming.  So there is none of the typical toxic Internet culture we're all too familiar with that lends itself to 'evil' sort of characters.

On the front page of Raxie's link.  Basically you're sitting in a perfect ass-to-grass squat position that properly aligns your spine with your center of gravity.

Screen-Shot-2015-04-01-at-3.11.55-PM.png

I'm already familiar with primal squatting myself, and have been praised for fabulous hip mobility, but I think I'll check the 30 Day challenge out anyways.

Might not do it, but definitely going to check it out!

• Like 8

Finally got around to choosing my week 1 goal!

I was thinking of using my planned ruck this weekend for this mini goal, but I'm already overlapping that from my challenge and the ruck PVP so I don't want to triple dip this activity.  Instead, I'm going to associate moving/getting around with mobility, since I've been focusing a lot of my effort on mobility. So this weeks goal, inspired by Jonahtan Mead's 30 day squat challenge,  is to accumulate 70+ minutes of primal squatting by the end of the week (average 10 minutes/day).

Last night I ate dinner in a squat (with a yoga block, but this counts IMO) so that gives me 20 minutes so far.

I shamelessly triple dipped.  

1345316630678_593747.png

I did up the goal a titch.  ;)

• Like 5

Rangering since Sept 2015

I shamelessly triple dipped.  

1345316630678_593747.png

I did up the goal a titch.   ;)

You say "shamelessly triple dipped," I say efficiency!

• Like 4

Gah - This is a tough one for me, but I suppose it wouldn't be a challenge if it wasn't hard, non?

Anyway - I just moved to a new place where I'm not entirely comfortable walking around outside yet. I really want to go rock climbing but don't know anyone to go with (can newb rock climbers show up to gyms alone - like, is that a thing? Help.) 

Hmmmm... I got it! I'm going to add in an additional hour of cardio to my workouts. I've been wanting to jump back in to Zombies Run! for a bit after about a year break - I think its time runner 5 got back in the game. 

Ummm... I mean Asa Pond notices Master Kaen Do-Ran watching her during training. She watches him just as closely as he does her and sees that he spends more time observing her than the others in the training field. It is subtle, but it is true. She wants to ensure that she earns that additional attention and aims to up her game. She plans additional runs in order to up her physical ability hoping the increased physical stamina can help improve her mental capabilities as well. 

• Like 1

Fallaces sunt rerum species et hominum spes fallunt.

Anyway - I just moved to a new place where I'm not entirely comfortable walking around outside yet. I really want to go rock climbing but don't know anyone to go with (can newb rock climbers show up to gyms alone - like, is that a thing? Help.) 

Most climbing gyms have intro classes.  That really would be the best place to start if you've never climbed before.  The intro class would provide a belayer for you, so going alone is no problem.  These classes only occur at specific times, though, so you should call the gym and find out when they offer them.  If the climbing gym has auto belays, you also could go by yourself and use those.  One other possibility is to try bouldering (which is lower climbing with no harness and no belayer).  I wouldn't recommend that if you're new to climbing though, as it is inherently more dangerous.  

• Like 2

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

I'm honestly surprised there aren't more Sith. From past experience, mostly in gaming, people tend to favor the 'evil' factions.

Not me! In high school I tried to play KOTOR as a Sith after 3 light side characters, and I just could not do it. I suffered through making a few mean-spirited comments to my teammates, and then I was supposed to slaughter an immigrant family and I gave up and went light side again. [emoji14]

I'm a little more comfortable being "grey" now than I used to, but I still seem to tend towards light side in gaming.

Off on my dog walk scouting! :)

~sent via messenger fox~

• Like 3

Multiclassed Knife Dancer [Warrior Monk Range-sassin and Druid-in-training]

"Tiny, but FIERCE!" -The Dresden Files

CHALLENGE FIVE HERE!

Spoiler

These are all old:

Challenges: 1 | 2 3 | 4 

Post-CNF2015 Battle Log

Say hi IRL: Instagram Facebook NF Profile