Prize Yourself and Change Your Life

Hi everyone

This accountabilibuddies group is a bit different. We're not here to set goals or keep each other on track.

All we're here to do is prize each other, and ourselves. And other people in our lives. And post about it, often.

Wait, what?

Prizing - it's like praising, but different, and more effective!

Praising focuses on the result of an action - a race won, a skill mastered, a piece of work finished well.

Prizing focuses on who you had to be, to achieve that result - consistent, brave, reliable, hard-working, kind, thoughtful.

An example: "I'm the kind of woman who makes her bed every day. I'm consistent, I'm neat and tidy, a real go-getter!"

If that sounds weird, it's only because we're not used to doing it. It sounds awkward. But it has a powerful impact on our non-cognitive minds (subconscious, unconscious, whatever you want to call it) - the more we prize ourselves, the more we trust ourselves, and the more likely we are to do things that are good for us. It's like winning by running backwards, suddenly you cross a finish line you didn't even know you were heading for.

There's science-y stuff behind it all (growth vs fixed mindset, strengthening neural pathways etc), which I am so not qualified to go into, but for this challenge I simply invite you to join me and give it a try.

1. Try to prize yourself, or someone in your life, daily then post about it here - what you did, and what kind of person that makes you.

2. Prize other people in this thread for their achievements

3. Prize people all over Nerd Fitness; see how many people you can get on board. Instead of saying only "Great job finishing that race", try "You are a reliable person because you followed through on your commitment to race; you are consistent, you trained every week. You rock!"

That's it! Hope to see you here during the challenge!

• Like 4

Valkyrie Assassin/Adventurer

Epic Quest

Current Challenge:

Previous Challenges: 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th

Imma go first because, well, it's my group, so I have to set the example!

I just posted my challenge thread (see sig or click here) - I'm the kind of woman who does what she sets out to do; I'm creative - see the pretty pictures I added! See all those words!

Yay me!

My reward is Dean Winchester dancing :D

tumblr_mvc2e7Sw8Q1rc51h7o1_500.gif

• Like 2

Epic Quest

Current Challenge:

I like this, I'll try it out.

• Like 2

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

This sounds great!

Yay, Cledbo! You are the kind of woman who improves life for herself and others by taking action and daring to try something new! You are someone who sets an example for others to follow.

Elastigirl - You are open to new things; you follow your interests with enthusiasm and aren't afraid to jump right in!

I'm enthusiastic and willing to try new things. I'm someone who takes an inordinate amount of joy in subverting the dominant paradigm and upending things in favor of empowering people.

This rocks! Can't wait to spread such a simple, but revolutionary, idea around. Words have power!

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

This sounds great!

Yay, Cledbo! You are the kind of woman who improves life for herself and others by taking action and daring to try something new! You are someone who sets an example for others to follow.

Elastigirl - You are open to new things; you follow your interests with enthusiasm and aren't afraid to jump right in!

I'm enthusiastic and willing to try new things. I'm someone who takes an inordinate amount of joy in subverting the dominant paradigm and upending things in favor of empowering people.

This rocks! Can't wait to spread such a simple, but revolutionary, idea around. Words have power!

This made me smile so hard - it's working!

EG you exemplify tenacity, you are consistent and inspire others to be like you.

SL you are the kind of woman who searches high and low for the better way. You're creative and a lateral thinker. Words definitely do have power, and by gum you wield them well!

Thanks ladies. Keep em coming!

• Like 1

Epic Quest

Current Challenge:

I'm consistent and reliable - I did my little action today and congratulated myself, and said out loud that I'm the kind of person who follows through.

It was tough today, we had a rough night, but these are the days it's most important!

@roseofmay - be sure to share your Prizing efforts with the group! 😊

• Like 2

Epic Quest

Current Challenge:

RoseofMay: You are a thoughtful person who sees others needs and  is able to help

ShadowLion: You are creative and smart, and use your talents to make the world a better place

Cledbo;You are a wise person who knows to seek guidance from others for help

• Like 2

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Oops I forgot the hard one;  I am a person who encourages others

• Like 2

this is awesome! Can I join in :)?

Of course! You're someone who is keen to try new things 😊 tell us about your little wins!

I successfully settled my daughter twice during last night without needing to feed or rock her. I'm persistent, consistent and it's working! Yay!

• Like 3

Epic Quest

Current Challenge:

My first week has been a mixture of good and bad. Making good foundations, but bad because I have been feeling drained and blah since Tuesday. I cannot say this for a fact, but I suspect it may have been a weird side effect with my medicine after a flu shot. Again, completely unsure of this is, in fact, possible. However, I'm curious enough that I will ask a doctor next time I'm near one!

Regardless, I am not giving up!

I am a strong individual who refuses to give up on herself.

• Like 4

I am so lame, I completely forgot about my own accountability group. This past ten days or so I've needed to prize myself probably a lot more than I have. I have done it every day in some way or another, but not strongly enough I think.

I am consistent, though, and am doing my current best in some very difficult circumstances (mainly of my own making). Hopefully some much needed therapy will help my best be better because I don't think it's good enough right now. Crying baby + tired me = bad juju

Epic Quest

Current Challenge: