launching the battle log

I recently completed my second challenge which went pretty well, I think. But I'm not up to  jumping in to this next challenge. I'm starting a new job in a couple of weeks (yay!) and frankly have a lot of things to get done between now and then, now that all my time is not spent on the job hunt. Still, one of the things I enjoy about the six-week challenges is posting updates to my challenge thread. In order to keep that aspect of my fitness in place I've decided to start this battle log. I keep my nutrition logged in My Fitness Pal (nearly 390 days straight, thankyouverymuch), but I may use this thread to occasionally post about my nutritional input as well.

Speaking of nutrition, I've spent the last two days engaging in what I call "nutritional debauchery." Maybe it had to do with Halloween, or the extreme relief at getting a job offer. Whatever the cause, I unapologetically indulged every whim and craving I had. At the moment I can't look another Twix in the face. I did still manage to put some healthy stuff in (yesterday was my fave breakfast of eggs over spinach and sweet potatoes), but there was more than my share of treats. One fascinating thing about doing that occassionally is realizing how my definition of comfort food has shifted. Those things I once considered "comfort food" now actually induce a level of stress in me, the exact opposite of comfort. Maybe it's because I know such things can potentially undo a year's worth of effort. I know I won't undo it all in a day or even two, but I've been doing this fitness stuff for long enough that it never is far from my mind. I consider that a good thing.

It's morning here, and the dog and I have already been for a run. I don't know that I'll get a strength session in today, but there are a couple hours' worth of leaf-cleaning to do this afternoon, then I'm hoping to watch some football before the day's done.

Coffee beckons.

Lou186000
Battle Log: Battling at the Speed of Lou

aaaa42%

battle log update

Started configuring a new google spreadsheet for posting workouts here in the battle log. I may shift how that's done, but I've learned that if it's too much effort to embed the data right in the posting I won't bother with it. Links to google drive seem to work just fine.

Yesterday's strength training went well! Increased reps on dips (now up to 4, 2, 2, 2) and for the body weight rows, my first set of 8 reps was all straight-legged, which is a brand-spanking-new feat for me. That effort used me up, however, so the remaining sets were knees bent, flat-footed (and still a challenge).

Yesterday was a day I had to spend a lot of time prepping for the new job (emails to send, paperwork to do, drug test). Today, however, I think I'm a free nerd for a while, until Daddy duties kick in after school. Might have to take a walk over to Skyrim and see what the denizens are up to. I also plan to get in another 40 min of cardio before the sun sets, which should not be a problem.

[edit: fixed typo]

Lou186000

aaaa42%

discomfort zone

Today I pulled myself into a discomfort zone as I decided to switch up the routine for Circuit Wednesday. I've been doing the following circuit for the past several weeks (learned from Rebel Leader Steve):

10 Lunges

10 Overhead db press

10 jump squats

25 lat pull downs

6 plyometric push-ups

10 exercise ball knee tucks

20 jumping jacks

Three sets of that has been a definite workout. Still, I've found over these past few months that I do better if I change it up now and then. I've been perusing darebee.com for a good while and today I wanted to have a go at one of the routines. I chose Power Mode

20 squats

20-count squat hold

20 side-leg raises

10 push-ups

10-count straight-arm plank

10 push-ups

20 lunges

20-count balance hold

20 side lunges

Completing three circuits is considered Level 1, five circuits is Level 2, and seven circuits is Level 3. Goodness. I did okay. On the last set of push-ups on the third circuit I could only do two before doing a face plant onto the carpet. Further than I expected to get, however, so I'm good with it. Thus the goal for the time being is to finish three complete circuits, then I'll try adding a circuit the following week.

Off for lunch and then to walk the dog.

Lou186000

aaaa42%

My misadventure for late last week involved falling backwards off a step stool on our back porch. Fortunately, the metal pole that supports the roof overhang was there to cushion my fall (not), and I got a pretty good bump on the back of my head to show for it. I can't remember the last time I had a fall like that. Unsettling and more than a bit embarrassing, but I survived. Fascinating, however, was how I felt physically after the fall. I was drained, as if I'd done a 30-minute workout and was ready for a breather. I've not done any googling for explanations; I'm just doing some self observations and conjecture here. I think I really tensed up on the way down as I fell backward, and that extreme tension combined with the surprise and fear during the fall together used a bunch of energy. I was up and around in a few minutes, and kept our plans to have guests that evening. I was (and am) fine. But I ended up taking it easy the next couple of days. Now the bump is all but gone and the fall just a sheepish memory and a lesson to watch that first step!

Today I'm back at it, and had a good strength session that was pretty much equal to last Monday's session: I accomplished the same reps and repeated the good progress I've been making. I did learn that I execute the fly steps much more smoothly if I keep my focus straight ahead instead of looking at the floor or at whatever episode of Doctor Who I have on the screen. I was also able to repeat a set of straight-legged body weight rows. Big deal for me, and I'm pleased last week's accomplishment wasn't a fluke. 

My workout:

Goblet Squats: 4 sets 10 reps

Dips: 4 sets: 4, 2, 2, 2 (ultimate goal is to work my way up to 4 sets of 8 reps)

Fly Steps: 4 sets 10 reps

Body weight Rows: 4 sets 8 reps (first set was straight legged, remaining sets were knees bent)

Exercise Ball Knee Tucks: 4 sets 10 reps

Beyond the workout, I had to update some information for the background check for the new job, which I think went smoothly. Also I had to step out of my comfort zone and directly ask the CEO from my last company when I could expect payment for the IT services I've done for him on an hourly basis for the last three weeks. Sigh. He replied he'd make good on it, and I believe he will, but I'm a bit miffed that I've had to ask more than twice for payment. Being a grownup is a pain sometimes.

Lou186000

aaaa42%

Yesterday's strength session went well, though I'll freely admit it was a tough one. It was my second time through Darebee.com's Power Mode workout. Each circuit includes two sets of ten push-ups. When I get to that final set (what amounts to the sixth set of ten push-ups), I'm pretty much used up. So it's obviously a good workout for me. Like doing dips, it'll be easy to spot improvement because I'll be doing things I've not been able to do previously.

Monday I begin my new job, and I have to admit as much as I'm looking forward to it, I'm anxious about fitting in my fitness needs. Really, I'd been doing fine with the previous dayjob, and I've only been out of the 9 to 5 scene for three months. Still, I'm realizing that this coming weekend is the time to make dinners for the coming week and plan to do my strength sessions in the evenings. I actually expect the structure of the work day to be a help: it'll keep me on a straight schedule for breakfast, healthy brought-from-home lunches, and I'm hoping for time during the days to get in a 20 minute walk. We'll see how it shakes out; tough to do real planning when I've not yet started.

Today is cardio day, and winter-like temperatures have arrived in our area. It does give me pause before heading out and about with my pup, but even a chilly walk will do us both good. On with the day...

Lou186000

aaaa42%

The big victory for today's workout was just getting started. I did *not* want to do it. I ended up not having time yesterday, and today lethargy settled on me good and hard. But the whole family was out this afternoon and as much as I wanted to just stay still I just couldn't let the time go by without getting a strength session in. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO ME? 

I've decided to continue with the Friday routine (or Saturday in this case) I've been using, but it was time for me to add a set. I'm working so hard on the middle-of-the-week routine that I know I can do more on both Monday and Friday sessions. Adding a fourth set went well, and I really feel like I gave it my all. The most challenging was getting through all the one-legged push-ups reps, but I managed. Also had to drop the weight on the dumbbell curls so I could get through all four sets, but that went well too, all told. At the end I felt drained but good.

WORKOUT

Superset 1

Straight Leg db deadlift, 10 reps: 10 @ 28 lb dbs (4 sets completed)

One-legged pushup, 10 reps: 4 sets of 10 completed

Plank, forearm: first 3 sets, did a 20-count, 4th set only lasted an 8-count

Superset 2

Fly Steps, 10 reps: 4 sets of 10 completed

Lat Pull Downs, 4 sets: 4 sets of 20 completed

Reverse crunch, 4 sets: 3 sets of 10, 4th set did 12

Superset 3

Dumbbell curl, 20 reps (10 each arm), 4 sets: 2 sets @ 28 lb dbs, 2 sets @ 23 lb dbs

Overhead tricep extension, 10 reps: first set at 18 lb db, last three sets @ 27 lb db

I can tell I can put a little more effort into the reverse crunches, which I'll do next time around. Also, the planks in the first superset are killer for me after the push-ups. One day I'll get to my goal of 60 seconds on those.

Lou186000

aaaa42%

Although yesterday was the first day of the new job (yay!), I still managed to get my strength session in last night. It was *hard*, but I got it done. The single advancement from last week's A session was that I added a dip to my second set, so not too bad. It was interesting working out at night since I've been doing daytime workouts these past 10 weeks. For a time prior to that I did try doing strength training first thing in the mornings, but I found it just too tough to make it work consistently, so evenings will have to be it.

Today I got multiple walks in, which is good. The office is in a corporate park with a golf course on one side and a shopping center less than a mile away. A very nice area to walk/run in. I don't know what else to do with a full hour for lunch, so I expect my habit will become food followed by roaming the corporate neighborhood on foot.

The workout from yesterday:

Goblet Squats, 4 sets: 3 sets of 8 at 32 lb db, 4th set of 10 reps

Dips, 4 sets: 4, 3, 2, 2

Fly steps, 4 sets of 10 reps

Bodyweight rows, 4 sets of 8 reps (All reps done with knees bent this time)

Exercise Ball Knee Tucks, 4 sets of 10 reps

Time to make lunch for tomorrow and then off to read the new Jim Butcher book!

Lou186000

aaaa42%

YIKES. Been a while since my last update, which is a bit unusual for me.

I've completed the first two weeks at the new job! Redoing the day schedule has been challenging to the point that I haven't fit in a single strength session after that first day! I've been doing okay on the cardio, but strength not so much. Even the last two weekends have been jam-packed with holiday visitors and parenting requirements. Things are swinging into a rhythm so I'll be able to pick up my routine again starting Monday, if not tomorrow.

Lou186000

aaaa42%

Finally, after three weeks doing only cardio I made myself rise early enough this morning to get a strength session in. It's clear (at least so far) that I'm not going to be able to get strength sessions in at the end of the average weekday. My goal will be to do two morning sessions during the week and then one on the weekend.

This morning's session went well if by no other measure than "I did it." Definitely feel like there's some loss of strength, but not terrible, and I'm confident I'll rebuild it in short order. I suppose it's possible that I was just tired because of all the earliness, but it is what it is. I'd rather be a little tired and get it done than not get it done at all.

Next strength session will be Sunday.

Lou186000

aaaa42%

Just a quick update.

Things are going well this week. For this week I'm shooting for strength in the mornings. Did a 6am strength yesterday, and 6am cardio today, and tomorrow will be a 6am strength circuit. Yesterday's strength was cool --- I did 5 reps on my first set of dips! HUGE for me! As I said when I could only do 1 dip a few months ago, this exercise is one for which progress is easy to track (anything > 1 is a win). Food wise, December is being its normal holiday challenge, but I'm weathering it okay. 

In non-fitness things, I've taken on a (not paid, just for fun) music project that has me arranging music for an indie film that very much fits in with our nerd community. The project is challenging but a lot of fun. I have to get in a couple hours of that before bed, so I'm off to be a musico, then strength in the morning.

• Like 1

Lou186000

aaaa42%

Day 2 of 30 Days of Gravity from the awesome Darebee.com site:

Part I

3 sets:

- alternating bicep curls, 20 @ 23 lb dbs

- 20 raised arm circles

- raised arm hold, 40 count

Part II

- 3 sets push-ups to failure. 

Rest time = the time it took to complete the previous set.

The push-ups were hard, especially after the upper bod workout in Part 1.

- set 1 = 10 push-ups

rest 20 seconds

- set 2 = 3 push-ups

rest 3 seconds

- set 3 = 2 push-ups

face-plant on carpet

Lou186000

aaaa42%

Day 3 of 30 Days of Gravity.

HARD.

3 sets of the following circuit:

10 flutter kicks

10 scissors 

10 sec raised leg hold

10 flutter kicks

10 raised leg circles

10 sec raised leg hold

2 min rest between sets.

The whole thing, killer though it was, lasted 12 minutes. I'll be logging this as "circuit training" maybe.

Afterwards got in 30 good/hard minutes on the elliptical.

Lou186000

aaaa42%

Day 4 of 30 Days of Gravity.

Part 1, Circuit Flexibility

- back stretches, 1 minute

- toe touches, 1 minute

- kneeling hip flexors, 1 minute each leg

Part 2, Splits

- 100 half jacks

This was challenging. Once I got to 50 I had to pause every 10 or so until I got to 100.

- side splits, 2 minutes

I got lower than I thought I could, and low enough to frighten me that I'd be stuck in that position forever. But I recovered.

Tomorrow looks like it's all abs and core work. Dang.

Lou186000

aaaa42%

Had two days of non-workouts, so I feel a little bad about that, but I did get in a good strength session today, and will continue with Day 7 of 30 Days of Gravity tomorrow.

Day 6

Part 1 (3 sets)

• 20 alternating bicep curls (23 lb db)
  • 80 scissor chops
  • 40 scissors

Part 2, Push-ups (3 sets, to failure)

• set 1: 16 (rest 15 seconds)
  • set 2: 3 (rest 4 seconds)
  • set 3: 2 (collapse)

Lou186000

aaaa42%

Day 7, 30 Days of Gravity

Did the Level 2 set.

Part 1

• Lunge Step-ups: 100 reps
  • calf raises: 100 reps
  • side-to-side lunges: 100 reps

Part 2, wall sit to failure, 3 sets

• set 1: 32 seconds
  • set 2: 33 seconds
  • set 3: 45 seconds

I'm not quite sure why I was able to go so much longer on set 3 of the wall sits. I'm thinking maybe I was lower than 90 degrees, edging towards a squat versus a sit.

My legs are already shaking from the workout, expecting some DOMS tomorrow!

Lou186000

aaaa42%

Day 8 of 30 days of Gravity

I managed to accomplish Level 3 of the Circuit Flexibility, which is 60 seconds of each move.

Part 1:

bridges (1 min)

knee rolls (1 min)

prawn stretches (1 min)

Part 2:

half jacks (100)

side splits (2 minutes)

This time for the side splits I wore shoes so I wouldn't slip on the carpet. Helped quite a bit and I split as low as I could, which wasn't very low but I sure felt it. Wonder if that'll give me DOMS all on its own?

Lou186000

aaaa42%

Day 9 of 30 days of Gravity

Very tough, but I got through it.

Part 1

Slow Climbers, 4 sets of 10

Climber Taps, 4 sets of 10

Alt arm / leg raises, 4 sets of 10

(2 min rest between sets)

Part 2 

Plank, 43 secs

I read somewhere at Darebee.com's forums that these exercises can be separated in the space of the day, for example Part 1 in the morning, and Part 2 in the evening. I may do that to see the difference. Next day with two parts is Day 11, so Friday if all goes as planned.

Lou186000

aaaa42%

Day 10

Goal for this one is Endurance.

Side leg raises, 2 min

Raised arm rotations, 2 min

Raised arm  hold, 2 min (killer after 2 min)

knee to elbow, 2 min

scissor chops, 2 min

arm scissors, 2 min

60 seconds rest between each exercise.

Went well, my arms are going to be DOMSing tomorrow, I can already tell. No regrets --- workout was hard but felt great.

Lou186000

aaaa42%