So I saw several others doing this and realized some personal accountability will be handy for me. I'll keep up to date in my challenge post of course but I will use this for all other things plus the challenge activities I participate in. This will be sort of a centralized spot for myself to follow my thoughts and progress and critique my own progress or lack thereof. For today it's just this initial post as my Sunday is being spent planning my food for the next week, my exercise schedule and getting prepared for the next week ahead as this all kicks off. Plus still need to keep the holidays in mind as I making Turkey Day dinner for myself and my friends who are coming to my place since they have nowhere else to go. Still, here we go. My 2nd challenge and my first log. Do it to it and all the things!

• Like 1

Level 2 Elf Ranger

6 Dex, 11 Con, 2 Wis, 2 Cha, 4 Str

My Current Challenge

Past Challenges: 1/2/3

My Battle Log

Okay so going to track my food here since having it written out will be a good reference for me. It'll also let me generate my shopping list and determine what I may or may not need to buy as I go. So here's the meal plan for Week 1 keeping in mind to myself that I'm going to make a paleo/primal (because I still do fruits, cheese and dairy and all that fun stuff) meal every day.

Breakfast - I can not eat first thing when I wake up. Just can't, makes me sick. But I can drink. So smoothie consisting of: 2 ounces milk, one banana, frozen strawberries, frozen pineapple chunks, greek yogurt, protein powder, ice. That's jow I start my day.

Lunch- I have a few things I'm making and will cycle through with leftovers. The first is Chopped chicken Club Salad which consists of: 6 ounces chicken breast cubed, romaine lettuce cubed, two ounces of cheese, half an avocado chopped, cherry tomatoes, bacon chopped, and whatever other vegetables that look good. Carrots, radishes etc. Second Lunch planned is Taco casserole which will be: chopped steak, avocado, salsa (homemade from my local farmers market), cheese, lettuce, and some crema. Third Lunch planned is Creamy Onion Soup with Sweet Potato Bacon Cakes both from Paleo Leap website. Links are here:

http://paleoleap.com/creamy-onion-soup/

http://paleoleap.com/sweet-potato-bacon-cakes/

Dinner- These will vary day to day with meals made and leftovers.

Monday: Cracklin Chicken from Nom Nom Paleo ( http://nomnompaleo.com/post/74180911762/cracklin-chicken)and Garlic Flavored Green Beans

Tuesday: Slow Cooker Kalua Pig from Nom Nom Paleo ( http://nomnompaleo.com/post/10031990774/slow-cooker-kalua-pig) with julienned root vegetables roasted in the oven.

Wednesday: Kalua pig portion added to Creamy Onion Soup along with some roasted vegetables

Thursday: Sausage and Kale "Pasta" from Paleo Grub ( http://paleogrubs.com/kale-pasta-recipe ) I'm thinking of replacing the sausage with more pig from Tuesday.

Friday: Chicken Souvlaki from Simply Delicious Food (http://simply-delicious-food.com/2014/01/29/chicken-souvlaki-zucchini-tzatziki/ ) and some grilled squash

Saturday: BBQ on the grill with some kind of meat and grilled sweet potatoes

Sunday: Dump day with leftovers being chowed upon and if not finished then frozen for another week

It's a general plan now. I intend to eventually working towards finding more ingredients that work sympathetically with each other. Like roasting a whole chicken Sunday, eating chicken salad Monday and chicken broth made Tuesday etc etc. But for now I'm working on refining it all.

• Like 1

Level 2 Elf Ranger

My Current Challenge

My Battle Log

So today was rough in terms of getting shit done. I can safely so I was only about 80% successful. But beats nothing at all I suppose. I couldn't work from home because the internet was out. Had to sit and wait for a tech so my workout was delayed. Didn't leave the house until after 5pm and by the time I got to the state park for some hiking/rucking the trail I use was a no go due to part of it being across a creek with only rocks as a bridge across. The water had those slippery, dangerous to cross and almost covered with water so I tried to use the paved trails there for hiking, biking, horses and vehicles. But the rain had those all shut as well. So all told I got half an hour of hiking in and my body weight workout. I managed to make a delicious Paleo/Primal type dinner however. Herbed Mustard Pork Tenderloin roasted with apples and onions, served up with garlic green beans and a pan sauce of half the roasted onions and apples pureed up and mixed with white wine, two good glugs, some chicken broth, some mustard and the drippings from the roasting pan. Delicious, moist and healthy while being easy and no thought required. And 2 pounds of pork still left for me to enjoy. So 2.5 out of 3 for todays activities.

This is the last week of my job and then I can focus on myself for the next year or so. I'll be living on my savings and some stocks and such I've cashed out while I go back to school for the next year and a half. I just couldn't take my job anymore, doing work I didn't enjoy. I heard so many people say it's irresponsible to quit a good job, it pays and I have benefits and blah blah blah. I don't want to work to pay bills. Maybe that's selfish of me but it's the truth. I need to look out for myself and I'm still not all better after my depression and losing my family. So I need to be selfish and do what works for my head space. Going back to school to get more degrees and training in Special Education certification so I can help high school students transition into college when they have things like Asperger's or Autism making it hard is something I've always wanted to do. College and learning should be for everyone who wants it. Changes need to be made in our education systems and I want to be a part of it. Besides, this lets me work out and get my head and body where they should be for the next year. That's important. So hopefully once this week finishes I won't be sidelined by things like no internet or obnoxious roommates and their mothers delaying me. Then I can kick ass, get in shape, lose weight and be the best version of me I know how.

• Like 1

Level 2 Elf Ranger

My Current Challenge

My Battle Log

So made it most of the way through the week. Food plans were changed around some but thats okay. I can live with that. As long as I'm still eating Paleo/Primalness. That's my focus, a slow transition from ALL THE SUGAR to mindful, good for me eating that makes me feel amazing with sometimes SOME of the sugar. I like my treat. I totally accept that. I'll just have to work those into my meals. But that will come in time, for now I still enjoy the odd treat and some bread and rice as I slowly work it out of my rotation. Slow but steady.

The workouts are going better than I thought. Improving my hiking pace, getting more miles in every hike. Enjoying rucking. Only downside is....I wants goodies to go with it. I need new shoes to consistenly hike without blisters. Thats a given. But so many shiny things I must resist the lure of until I've done this for awhile and I'm sure it's something I'll continue with. I still need some more workout clothes, my old ones are way too big. Can't hike with my pants at my ankles because they wont stay up.

Learning more about other types of exercise that interest me. I'm curious to try them but I've resolved myself to one new type of workout per challenge. 6 weeks is enough time to decide if I like and will stick with something. So far rucking is a good choice. I can't wait to see what I pick for next challenge.

Making noob mistakes still in all of this but that's to be expected. Can't learn if I don't make them. Still stings a bit when I do stupid stuff like oh...I dont know....go for a hike without eating anything all day. Yeah. I did that. Derp!

Anyways, on track for week one. Thats a good start

• Like 1

Level 2 Elf Ranger

My Current Challenge

My Battle Log

So reflection day for me. Chugging water, listening to some Black Crown Initiate and considering my last week. Posting this in my battle log as well.

Cumulative I managed to get in 15 miles of rucking and 10 miles of hiking. 25 miles of activity that I would not have had two months ago so I'm proud of that. I'm living up to my tattoo of rising out of the ashes of my past and into the me I need to be. It's slow, and I will get burned but hey...that's life. Good with the bad.

I completed the body weight workouts three times this week. Im not sure what I think about these. I need them, especially if I'm going to be doing this Spartan in March. But I don't really feel them. Maybe I just need to up the intensity or get some weights. Im just used to feeling DOMS and a nice ache (not painful of doing too much but relaxed ache of moving my ass) But I'll stick with it for now. Give it a bit longer. Maybe I should start doing them on my rucking days like I've been thinking. Do them with my rucking pack on. That may help.

Eating. Every day this week I've managed one meal that was within the Primal or Paleo guidelines. I swing between both because I still eat things like cheese and have milk or cream in stuff I eat. That's my choice as I feel it makes me more likely to transition to this type of eating instead of feeling deprived. I like my cheese, I like the odd sauce and I like milk in my smoothie. (Though I will be trying coconut milk instead next week as I love my coconut milk.) But I've made six days of new and interesting meals. Today I'm batch cooking a bunch of things for the week ahead. Including a sweet potato bacon soup for devouring after each hike or ruck in order to keep from being hangry or feeling unwell.

Im still struggling with the sleep thing. I managed 4 hours last night so I guess I met my goal for the week but before that it was still only 3 and not sure meeting the goal last second out of exhaustion from yesterdays ruck can really count. That said if rucking eight miles a day makes me sleep more....I'll do it every day of the week. I'm really starting to notice how lack of sleep is affecting my mental and physical well being. And that needs to change. That's the point of this all. Not to lose weight and look good, though I'm totally for that to, but to get into the mindset I need to be in. Where I matter, where I feel good, where I enjoy my life and not resent it. So...we'll see on the sleep front.

Overall I've found some awesome threads to follow, talked to some amazing people and realized how great this site and all of you are. Many of you have been encouraging, helpful, let me pick your brains and get information and indulged the researcher I am with incessant questions. Ive discovered new exercising I've never heard of, tried some of them and have plans to try more. I've also realized from stalking reading many threads that all of you have been where I am and have gone beyond that. I see real life examples of this working if I just stick with it. So I'll use that stubborness that drives everyone I know insane and stick to it. Thank you all. Truthfully that has been the best thing to learn this last week. Youre all awesome and you guys make this that much easier on everyone else.

• Like 1

Level 2 Elf Ranger

My Current Challenge

My Battle Log

This sleep thing has eluded me. I'm having a hard time forcing myself to get more. I need to come up with some kind of way to sleep for more than 3 hours but I really really really dont want to take pills. Bah, Ill figure it out I suppose.

Picking up a sledgehammer and a tire this weekend, going to start doing mace workouts. Have to see how that goes. Itll probably be on my days I ruck since my hiking days I do body weight workouts.

Hitting the nutrition portion of things though, and that's always been the rough part for me. Had a slip Monday when I was sick and just wanted juiced and honeyed tea. Think I probably drank 3,000 calories worth of sugar and honey. Meh. Back on track now though. Just recording my thoughts in this battle log for myself, so I have something to come back to when Im struggling in the challenges ahead.

Can't decide which Spartan to do. March in Atlanta or April in Carolina? Or just wait to June. But maybe if I do March or April and struggle I can go back in June and kick ass. Sigh.....tough choices. I think it comes down to I dont think I can do one at my current weight and my current fitness level.

• Like 1

Level 2 Elf Ranger

My Current Challenge

My Battle Log

Been awhile since I posted in here, but been focused on my challenge log and keeping things going. I've been testing my limits, finding my rhythm and it feels good. But the real test begins the start of next year with going back to school and more than likely getting a part time job for the weekends. I'll have to see if my workout patterns survive the initial collision with reality. If not then I'll just readjust and move forward. But I like my rhythm so I'm hoping they do and I can keep with this. I'm pretty sure I'll have my laptop in classes so at least can try and track there and such. Have to see. It'll be tough but no tougher than the first time I got up and said I refuse to be this person any more. I'm making effective changes and theyre working. So I WILL do this.

• Like 1

Level 2 Elf Ranger

My Current Challenge

My Battle Log

10 pounds a month??!! That's phenomenal Lyniffer! 

Seriously, be proud my friend!  :)

I do not know why I didn't know you had a battle log but I'm following!

You are awesome!

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Goal One was to hike five days a week for a minimum of two hours a day. This was my most difficult. While I had done a little hiking through my first challenge something like this after years of not working out was going to be a shock to my system I was sure. But I knew I needed to shock my system. Knew I needed to start shaking things up and shocking my system. So ten miles a week it was. How did it go?

Week One I did my two miles a day and was at about an average pace of 37 minutes a mile. Not great. I had done a 5k run in a little over 30 minutes at the end of last challenge and here I was struggling to do one mile. I know hiking trhough a trail with elevation changes and going up and down and around was different than running a street. The terrain is rougher and more difficult to move across. But even given that 37 minutes was pretty long. A full two mile course took me over an hour. About an hour fifteen to get through. I was huffing and puffing. I couldn't figure out why, I had just completed a 5k a mere two weeks before, what was wrong with me. Well trail terrain is different, and is a better workout. It's uneven, full of hills and switchbacks and it's what you get when you set a treadmile to hills or random. Without the ease of a treadmill. I did it however. All five days, two miles a day. And then while looking through the forums I found something called Rucking.

This changed my hikes. How putting a weight in my bag changed things I can't explain but as I researched and studied it and figured it out I thought I'd give it a try. So second week I threw a weight into my bag and went for my hike and did my first ruck! My back and shoulders hurt, I hadn't strapped myself in properly, I was more tired than the first week.But I had done it. By the end of the week I was hooked. Rucking was awesome. I fixed my pack, tightened up my straps and secured my weights.

Six weeks later I now manage to do 10k rucks. Daily. Some days it's 6.2 miles some days it's five. But I'm doing them in 2 hours and fifteen minutes or so. Depending on if I take pictures or make a video. Some days I do 5 miles. Some days, like yesterday I manage to do 7.5 miles. Ive managed to ruck over 80 miles! That's right, over 80 miles of rucking in six weeks. That doesn't count my hiking miles. The first few weeks I alternated between rucks and hikes. By week 3 I just did rucks. Nothing but. It was helping me build my endurance and stamina much quicker and I loved it so made it easier to go out into the woods when it was cold, windy and puring down rain. I even fell into the water at river crossings and just managed to stand up and Ranger on! So that's how Goal One went.

Goal Two. This one was a little different. The overall point of all this working out and life changes is trying to get healthy and get strong. I want to be able to squat with my own weight on those bars. I want to be able to see my arms and have shapely arms underneath all that fat. I want to know I could give Wonder Woman a run for her money. I want to be a modern day Amazon. I don't care about being a size 4 and weighing 125. If I weigh 160 but I'm Strong, curvy, sexy, healthy, confident then that's my goal. If that means a Size 14 because my hips and butt are big from muscles so be it! So this meant starting to work on my strength.

Now I've done CrossFit before. Way back when I was healthy and fit. So I know what weight lifting is like. But I've put on a ton of weight. I need to take time, it didnt take me a month to put this on I won't be getting it off in a month. So build up. I started with the Nerd Fitness Body weight Workout. I just used my own fat to start strengthening my body. But it was boring. It was easy. Even doing it as many times as I could before tiring it wasn't enough. But I wasn't ready to jump into Crossfit again. (That's next Challenge) So what else could I do? I had no weights at home. I didn't want to pay for a ton I'd only use for a few weeks in case I found it boring.

Then I stumbled across AshPs and her Harley themed thread involving Mace Workouts.(*waves* Hi Ash!) From her thread I found Teros thread. And between the two of them I read about Maces and shovelgloving and how to do it. I didn't start. Not at first. I researched. I studied. I read and re-read their threads. Old threads. Looked online. And finally, cautiously, bought an 8 pound sledgehammer from Lowe's and got a Tire from a tire yard. I set it all up and then just spent the first day hammering that tire. The next time I started doing the moves. From there....new workout and I was hooked again. I still had my challenge. It was still boring me, but as long as I could do mace workouts as well I was happy to keep up the bodyweight. It was helping, even if I didn't think so.

Six weeks later I've done all my bodyweight workouts and combined them with Maces. I won't be continuing with Body Weight. (I have other plans) But I will keep up with the maces. And found two more awesome people to talk to outside of the Rangers forums. So Ill keep stalking their threads, and them, and learn more as I go!

Goal 3. This one was nutrition. The plan was to eat a homemade Paleo or Primal meal every day for any meal of the day. This could be as easy as eggs and uncured nitrate free bacon to a whole dinner of Zoodles and Alfredo Sauce with Butternut Squash. It all depended. This was also my chance to experiment. To try and find Paleo or Primal meals I enjoyed and add them to my rotation.

So. This didn't turn out like I thought but it turned out well in it's own way. At first I thought I'd be making a fresh dinner every night. That way I could still enjoy sandwhiches and such for lunch. But as I progressed I found switching to more and more Paleo or Primal and less of the food I had been eating was easier and easier. I cut out added sugar as much as I could. I stopped eating chocolate. Cookies. Brownies. And now I have Paleo/Primal 80% of my food. Sure I still have some food that skirts the borders of it all. Sometimes I end up in situations where Im out and the only option is that chicken parmesan and I can't say for sure if it has added sugar or not. The holidays and my birthday I have food being made that other people control. But that's okay, I'm mostly in control of all the things I ate and can plan around all that. My meals are Paleo/Primal the way I do it. I still have dairy. Cream and cheese. But as Steve says in Nerd Fitness and other places discuss the point isn't to eat like caveman, it's to make the healthy choices for me as a human and for myself. I'm okay with dairy, I just watch what I eat and how much. I don't eat processed Velveeta. I eat fresh local Farmers Market cheese. I can see the goats that made it. Not the machines. I feel better! TMI Ahead: I'm not running to the bathroom constantly thiking I have IBS. I feel amazing. I have more energy. I'm not dragging all day. This goal is a complete success.

All in all my three goals have been amazingly done, if I do say so myself. I need to remember this in the challenges ahead when I do not do as well. When my Grade is a D instead of an A. I'll have more to say in my next post about my Life Goal. I just wanted to put this out there while I was thinking about it. Next post!

• Like 1

Level 2 Elf Ranger

My Current Challenge

My Battle Log

*waves back* Hi!

Yay for shovelglove and new friends! :)

Yes indeed, you HAVE done amazingly. ;)

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.