Enelyah on a journey to a stronger, happier self

Enelyah

Hi everyone!

My name is Jenny and I’m a 30-year old Belgian girl currently living in London, UK. 

Main quest:

To get stronger and more flexible, and be physically able to do more activities and be better at them. To hopefully get the added benefits of exercising: feeling more energised and slimming down my waistline would be nice.

Motivation:

I am an amateur dancer, and want to use this challenge to become a better dancer and try aerials or pole dancing in the coming year.

Quest 1: 

Start each weekday with a 15-minute home workout, and a protein drink. Total: 30 workouts, allowing myself to catch up at the weekend if I missed a day during the week.

Measurement: A: 26 to 30 days B: 21 to 25 days C: 15 to 20 days

Reward: (+3STR, +2STA)

Quest 2: 

Keep a food and exercise log on weekdays, weekend optional. Total: 30 days of log

Reward: (+3 WIS, +1 CON)

Quest 3: 

Stop snacking after dinner. I will have my last bite of the day at dinner, which will happen no later than 20h, and won’t eat until breakfast the next day. Again allowing myself cheats at the weekend, so again, a total of 30 days.

Reward: (+3 CON)

Life Quest: 

Go back to journaling. Morning, evening, on the bus, anything counts, but I should unload my thoughts on paper every day, filling at least a page. Total: 42 days.

Measurement: A: 35 to 42 days B: 28 to 34 days C: 21 to 27 days

Reward: (+3 WIS)

Let me know your thoughts or if I should change anything.

Gimme a shout if you’d like to be accountability buddies, too.

Thanks! Looking forward to this journey J

Also, ridiculous question: Do I have to also sign up to Nerd Fitness Academy? I’m guessing yes but couldn’t find the info.

Jenny/Enelyah

• Like 2

Hi Jenny,

I spent a summer in Belgium when I was in college and got to explore and loved it, what area are you from?

What kind of dancing do you do?  I'm loving that there are so many people who dance in this challenge so far.  I ballroom dance, though I'm on break while recovering from foot surgery.  But my goals and quests are definitely focused on getting better and losing weight so that I can get back to dance.

Each year I told myself I needed to try a new type of dance, I tried pole dancing and while fun, it is hard.  I was visiting my mom, but if it were local, I'd have loved to keep up with the classes.  You'd build some serious muscles and strength if you keep that up.  Aerials look even more fun, though definitely harder.  So I hope you are successful in your quest and even if you don't get as far as you want, you should still try the class.  You never know, you may find you have a new addiction that helps get you stronger and healthier.

• Like 1

Wanna be assassin, cat wrangler extraordinaire and recuperating ballroom dancer who is slowly getting get feet back out on the dance floor.

Hi! Thanks for your lovely message :) I grew up in Brussels. I have now been in a dance group for 2 years and will dance anything that will feel right : contemporary, ballet, Cabaret, swing, lindy hop, hip hop, hula hoop... I've had my first go at ballroom dancing last week and it was much fun, I definitely intend to do more next year.

On another I failed my first day of exercising because I was stupidly late for work so no time for exercising (or maybe I didn't use my morning time correctly, procrastinating again...)and came back stupidly late after rehearsals (I rehearse for a dance showcase in 3 weeks). On the one hand I want to forgive myself because I did 2h of dancing and 1h of cycling to get there and back, but on the other hand it feels like it's another bullshit excuse because what I'm trying to commit to is exercising at home in the morning, no matter what the day is made of next. Feels really bad to have a wrong start :(

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Need a buddy? I'll be a buddy, especially with another dancer! :D

You do not have to sign up for the NF academy, although lots of users have great success with it. Ask monsupee for more details! 

Uh, you have like three hours of activity in a day. Your body needs rest time as much at it need excercise, and lemme tell you: if you push it too hard, you're doomed to injury or exhaustion. It happened to me a couple of days ago, and I'm trying to get my momentum going after going the opposite way with too many rest days. You want to stay right in the middle with activity and rest. Trying to fit a workout in along with 3 hours of moving? Not the best idea in the world. Take it easy on yourself; i know how tempting it is to want to do all the things and be a superstar, but this is about making slow, steady, sustainable progress to better fitness. :-) EMBRACE THE TORTOISE! 

Lyke dis. *hug*

enhanced-buzz-11781-1362848560-6.jpg

Hello Koaladle; and thank you so much for your message! I felt like giving up after a miserable first week, but your positive message gave me motivation again, and you might be right, I might be too hard on myself. Maybe I need to redefine my goals. The thing is, my life rhythm is gonna change drastically in two weeks (after showcase), going from 5/6 hours of rehearsals a week (and cycling to the studio, so about 10h exercise a week) to complete potato couch again, and I struggled to choose goals that would work both now and then. Maybe you have ideas? :) I thought about choosing a certain amount of hours of exercise a week as a quest, but even that seems hard to adjust (like, if I choose a goal of 3h/week, it'll be an automatic win for the next two weeks, which feels like cheating, but quite a tough one after showcase...)

Thoughts welcome! And yay for dancers! :)

• Like 1

It's totally okay to have goals for before and after the showcase. It's a huge schedule change, and you'll need to prep against bums taking root in couches. I'm going to grab my glasses so that I can read over your challenge without my eyes dying, but in the meantime DON'T GIVE UP, YOU STARTED THIS FOR A REASON.

IT IS A GOOD, WORTHWHILE, IMPORTANT REASON, AND FOR THAT REASON THERE WILL BE NO GIVING OF UPS. I send you hugs! I'll be back with glasses. :-)

• Like 1

Okay, I'm back as promised, and munching on a carrot. Yum? Not sure yet.

I think quests 2, 3, and life are fabulous for baby steps. As for quest 1, could you flesh that out? If you're doing 15 minutes of easy yoga, that's very different than 15 minutes at a full sprint. A lot of us newbies use the Beginner Bodyweight Workout, but in the instructions it says to "do this routine 2-3 times a week, but never on consecutive days." It goes on to mention doing interval training on the off days, but I'll let you read the article and see if that's a good starting point for you. I've been tweaking my challenge the last few days, and I think I've settled on the BBWW as my routine. Check the blog for more routine ideas, and see what will suit you best. :-)

I'll do my best to check up on you regularly, okay? I want to hear how it's going for you. :-)

• Like 1

I'll also add that there is a huge difference in life between pre show and after show.  All the lead up to the show means more rehearsal, more practice and more time at the studio, or at least it did for me. Plus ballroom dancing = contact sport, so if one person is sick you've been contaminated before you knew anyone was sick.  So the week of show pretty much always meant I had some chest cold, sinus infection, asthma attack or combination of them.  There's so much build up and anticipation before a show and once it's over there's this huge let down or maybe it's just that there's a release of pressure that you've been dealing with that's been building for some amount of time.

You should absolutely have show goals and after show goals.  The expectations on yourself should be different.  After so much time leading up to a show, the need to lessen the activity is reasonable.  I know the week before show it was not unusual for me to spend 1-4 hours a day the week before the show and that wasn't even dress rehearsal or physically being at the studio but practice time.  So give yourself some leeway and reevaluate your goals. You may not need to spend as much time practicing or biking to get there, but look at your schedule and pick some days to get some exercise and some days where you can have a bit of rest.  You probably deserve it after all this chaos.  After a week or so of calm, you can always readjust your schedule and increase your activity.  

I guess what I'm saying in a long drawn out way.  You aren't alone.  Set some smaller goals to give yourself some breathing room and be successful, then you will be ready to push yourself a bit more.  I imagine you will have another show or reason for rehearsal so the dance time will build up again to a frenzied pace. :) 

• Like 1

Wanna be assassin, cat wrangler extraordinaire and recuperating ballroom dancer who is slowly getting get feet back out on the dance floor.

I'll also add that there is a huge difference in life between pre show and after show.  All the lead up to the show means more rehearsal, more practice and more time at the studio, or at least it did for me. Plus ballroom dancing = contact sport, so if one person is sick you've been contaminated before you knew anyone was sick.  So the week of show pretty much always meant I had some chest cold, sinus infection, asthma attack or combination of them.  There's so much build up and anticipation before a show and once it's over there's this huge let down or maybe it's just that there's a release of pressure that you've been dealing with that's been building for some amount of time.

You should absolutely have show goals and after show goals.  The expectations on yourself should be different.  After so much time leading up to a show, the need to lessen the activity is reasonable.  I know the week before show it was not unusual for me to spend 1-4 hours a day the week before the show and that wasn't even dress rehearsal or physically being at the studio but practice time.  So give yourself some leeway and reevaluate your goals. You may not need to spend as much time practicing or biking to get there, but look at your schedule and pick some days to get some exercise and some days where you can have a bit of rest.  You probably deserve it after all this chaos.  After a week or so of calm, you can always readjust your schedule and increase your activity.  

I guess what I'm saying in a long drawn out way.  You aren't alone.  Set some smaller goals to give yourself some breathing room and be successful, then you will be ready to push yourself a bit more.  I imagine you will have another show or reason for rehearsal so the dance time will build up again to a frenzied pace. :)

I'm quoting this because it's important enough to be read twice--excellent points, and well written to boot.

I love you all. I shall adapt. I guess I wanted to add strength training in my schedule because dancing doesn't build up strength, but that's obviously not working for me...

I'm at work now but will update you on decisions later. Likely to drop quest 1 completely before showcase... And choose 3x/week of exercise after that. Thanks for the help and support!

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So, here is the updated Quest 1:

Quest 1: Fitness

- First 3 weeks of challenge (pre-dance showcase) : fitness will happen in the form of cycling to the studio and dancing. No extra exercise required - as I realised rest is also important, and I already don't get enough.

- Next 3 weeks of challenge (post-dance showcase) : fitness will happen in the form of 3 sessions of exercise a week, divided in: 2 short sessions (15 minutes) to pick and mix between jogging/resistance training/yoga depending on the mood/energy, + 1 longer session (45 minutes) which will be either a strength/cardio full-body workout, or a swim.

Measurement, based on 3 days a week of exercise: A: 15 to 18 days B: 12 to 14 days C: 9 to 11 days

Reward: (+2STR, +3STA)

What do you think of that?

• Like 1

I like the idea of no snacking/food after dinner!  I always want a little something either RIGHT after dinner or an hour or so later.  Trying to get back to chewing gum for a few minutes if I find myself with a snack craving.  I'll try to use your goal as a guideline in my challenge as well!  :)  

• Like 1

Moon Bee // Druid // Level 4

Challenges // DBL 1  2  3  4

5: Bee is Everything