Hey guys, I missed the last 6 week challenge by about a week. 

My progress so far: I've lost 105 lbs since last November. I've gone from a size XXXL shirt to a size L, and a size 48 waist to a size 36-38. I've been taking it pretty easy on my diet and everything for a month or two now and have found that if I lift 3 days a week and eat whatever I want, I maintain my weight. I'm ready to get back to losing weight, although I've found self control and willpower are my biggest problems. I'm hoping that doing the 6 week challenge again and fellow warriors to help keep me accountable will help me get my nutrition back in check. I suppose that means I'm asking for your help in keeping me accountable.

markmið

++ Increase Bench Press to 225 lbs (+4 STR)

++ Perform cardio on rest days (+4 CON)

++ Get down to 230 lbs (+3 CHA, +2 DEX)

++ Learn some Icelandic every day (+2 INT)

11895958_10153575771687154_7003797401799

• Like 1

Level 2 Viking: STR 4 | DEX 2 | CON 3 | INT 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Current Quest

Challenges: I II III IV V

Instagram | Website

From what I'm told, I'm actually of Norwegian descent. Although probably cliche, I'm pretty interested in my viking ancestry (and want to find out more about my ancestors specifically although that's proving to be difficult). I've done some reading and found that Icelandic is pretty close to Old Norse, which is why I chose that over other scandinavian languages. For some reason, I'd like to think that if my ancestors are watching me, I'd be making them proud to call me their descendant and I don't think sitting on the couch with a bag of potato chips is going to do that.

I've tried SL 5x5, I've tried the NF Barbell Battalion level 1 workout, and I've done a few others. I've actually been looking for a new program that will work while eating at a caloric deficit. The programs I've been looking at are SL5x5 (again), ICF 5x5, and 5/3/1. I'm looking to lift about 3 days a week (sometimes more when I can find time). I've been focusing on compound lifts more than isolated lifts and I've been keeping it around 3-5 reps. Last week was: Bench- 205 lbs 3x3, Barbell Row- 185 lbs 3x3, Squat- 250 lbs 3x3, and Deadlift- 295 lbs 3x3. I'm 6'2" and 242 lbs. I feel like I should be able to move more weight than that. I'm looking for a good program that will help in fat loss/muscle retention (I know, fat loss is in diet not exercise) and that I can get into. I've tried doing lower weight, higher reps lately and I just find it boring. I'd rather lift more for less reps and see what I can do. Opinions? Suggestions?

Current Quest

Instagram | Website

Today things are going well. I actually got up and ran today. I haven't done that in a few months. I've decided that I need to get some gloves because my hands were freezing cold. Surprisingly I didn't go nuts at dinner last night. I've learned that I'm usually pretty good during the day, but at night I want to overeat and snack. To prevent this, I've been trying to show more self control at dinner and then after dinner I'll have a 100 calorie bag of kettle corn to satisfy the urge to snack.

XbAYSN0jUBQbe.gif

I spent my evening last night looking at and comparing SL, Madcow, SS, ICF, and 5/3/1. I think I'm going to go with ICF 5x5. It is a linear program that will allow me to increase my strength (still within my first year and still a novice lifter) while still being a bodybuilding routine. There is also a slightly different version laid out for cutting, which I'm going to follow. I've done some SL before, and to be honest it didn't feel like enough. I'd get done and think to myself, "what's next?' Hopefully the ICF will change that with the secondary lifts. 

Have any of you tried this program? What did you think? Successes? Failures?

Current Quest

Instagram | Website

So last night I started the Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 with the modifications for cutting (3x5 on big lifts, 2x8 on accessory lifts). I've also been getting back to cardio. I ran yesterday morning and walked today. I want to do some sort of cardio on each of my off days.

I'm really looking forward to my workout tomorrow. I've been reading a lot of reviews of the program and there are some serious gains to be made. Even fat loss looks great. I'm a little bummed because I'm supposed to be starting at 75% of my training 1rm so it's not really challenging yet. On the cutting version, you up the weight every two times of doing the lift so it takes a little longer to peak. I want to stick with it though and see what my results are like. I'm just sticking it out until the volume gets higher.

Current Quest

Instagram | Website

Great goals man. I'm doing a custom program where I lift three days a week and do cardio on off days and I have to warn you it will tire you out. Your measurements raise some questions for me. How is that at 6'2" and 242 lbs. you wear a large while I, at 6' and 200 lbs. have to get an extra large? Anyway good luck.

• Like 1

Great goals man. I'm doing a custom program where I lift three days a week and do cardio on off days and I have to warn you it will tire you out. Your measurements raise some questions for me. How is that at 6'2" and 242 lbs. you wear a large while I, at 6' and 200 lbs. have to get an extra large? Anyway good luck.

The joys of body composition! :)

So last night I started the Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 with the modifications for cutting (3x5 on big lifts, 2x8 on accessory lifts). I've also been getting back to cardio. I ran yesterday morning and walked today. I want to do some sort of cardio on each of my off days.

I'm really looking forward to my workout tomorrow. I've been reading a lot of reviews of the program and there are some serious gains to be made. Even fat loss looks great. I'm a little bummed because I'm supposed to be starting at 75% of my training 1rm so it's not really challenging yet. On the cutting version, you up the weight every two times of doing the lift so it takes a little longer to peak. I want to stick with it though and see what my results are like. I'm just sticking it out until the volume gets higher.

Sub-maximal training is actually really effective. I train most of the time in a 70-80% range and I'm still seeing steady gains after more than two years. Sure, I'm not going to be threatening Jennifer Thompson as the world's top 63kg lifter any time soon, but I'm definitely making gains.

• Like 1

I was doing SL 5x5 and running on off days over the summer. It's definitely doable. Then again, if it's easy then we aren't challenging ourselves enough.

When I started I was 347 lbs and wearing between a 3X and a 4X shirt. According to my bathroom scale (not super accurate), I was around 40% body fat. That puts me about about 138 lbs of fat on my body with 209 lbs of lean mass. Almost a year later, I'm around 25% body fat (trainer bf tracker, also not super accurate but more accurate than a scale. also by eyeball). That means that now I have approximately 60 lbs of fat and my lean body mass is about 182 lbs. I've managed to maintain most of my muscle mass (everyone loses some amount of muscle when losing a lot of weight) and muscle takes up less space than fat. The picture below illustrates this. like SpecialSundae said, it's just a matter of body composition. You could stay the same weight but still be getting smaller, which means that you are losing fat but gaining muscle simultaneously. Hard, but possible.

muscle-vs-fat.jpg

The joys of body composition! :)

Sub-maximal training is actually really effective. I train most of the time in a 70-80% range and I'm still seeing steady gains after more than two years. Sure, I'm not going to be threatening Jennifer Thompson as the world's top 63kg lifter any time soon, but I'm definitely making gains.

I'm going to stick with it because I think at this point following a program (especially one as discussed and approved of as this) is going to be better than me trying to change things because "I know what's better". Although I want to improve my lifts, this is more so a bodybuilding workout, so I'm hoping that I can improve both composition and weight that I can move with this program.

Current Quest

Instagram | Website

I'm going to stick with it because I think at this point following a program (especially one as discussed and approved of as this) is going to be better than me trying to change things because "I know what's better". Although I want to improve my lifts, this is more so a bodybuilding workout, so I'm hoping that I can improve both composition and weight that I can move with this program.

Sticking with a programme is a big key to success. You might get lucky messing around, but you might not.

Sticking with a programme is a big key to success. You might get lucky messing around, but you might not.

I've found that out the hard way. I'm nowhere near where I should be because I've been jumping from program to program because I'd get bored. For now, the plan is to run this plan until my birthday (April) so that should be a good 6 months of progress.

Current Quest

Instagram | Website

When I started I was 347 lbs and wearing between a 3X and a 4X shirt. According to my bathroom scale (not super accurate), I was around 40% body fat. That puts me about about 138 lbs of fat on my body with 209 lbs of lean mass. Almost a year later, I'm around 25% body fat (trainer bf tracker, also not super accurate but more accurate than a scale. also by eyeball). That means that now I have approximately 60 lbs of fat and my lean body mass is about 182 lbs. I've managed to maintain most of my muscle mass (everyone loses some amount of muscle when losing a lot of weight) and muscle takes up less space than fat. The picture below illustrates this. like SpecialSundae said, it's just a matter of body composition. You could stay the same weight but still be getting smaller, which means that you are losing fat but gaining muscle simultaneously. Hard, but possible.

muscle-vs-fat.jpg

My body fat is roughly the same, if not slightly lower than yours. Doesn't really matter. Just another way I'm weird I guess.

I've found that out the hard way. I'm nowhere near where I should be because I've been jumping from program to program because I'd get bored. For now, the plan is to run this plan until my birthday (April) so that should be a good 6 months of progress.

That's my problem. I've only just started to get myself on a regular program and I still haven't hammered out all the details.
  • Like 1

My body fat is roughly the same, if not slightly lower than yours. Doesn't really matter. Just another way I'm weird I guess.

Hmmmmm.... I don't know then. My measurements are as follows if you want to compare them to yours. 

-- Measurements --

Neck: 14.75"

Shoulders: 47.5"

Chest: 41.5"

Waist (narrowest): 37.5"

Waist (bellybutton): 40.5"

Hips: 37.5"

Bicep: 15"

Forearm: 11"

Quads: 24"

Calves: 16.5"

That's my problem. I've only just started to get myself on a regular program and I still haven't hammered out all the details.

What workout are you doing? What have you done in the past? Do you have any certain goals? I followed your thread although I haven't gotten much time to read it yet.

Current Quest

Instagram | Website

Hmmmmm.... I don't know then. My measurements are as follows if you want to compare them to yours.

-- Measurements --

Neck: 14.75"

Shoulders: 47.5"

Chest: 41.5"

Waist (narrowest): 37.5"

Waist (bellybutton): 40.5"

Hips: 37.5"

Bicep: 15"

Forearm: 11"

Quads: 24"

Calves: 16.5"

What workout are you doing? What have you done in the past? Do you have any certain goals? I followed your thread although I haven't gotten much time to read it yet.

Reason found. I've got an inch and half to two inches on you when it comes to chest. Other than that we're about the same.

Program wise I'm doing one I came up with myself based on the equipment and space I have available to me. It combines body weight and weightlifting and is pretty high volume. For this first week though I'm going a bit easier to get my muscles primed for what they got coming. My goals right now are to slim down a bit while retaining as much muscle mass as possible. After that I plan on adding mass.

• Like 1

Reason found. I've got an inch and half to two inches on you when it comes to chest. Other than that we're about the same.

Program wise I'm doing one I came up with myself based on the equipment and space I have available to me. It combines body weight and weightlifting and is pretty high volume. For this first week though I'm going a bit easier to get my muscles primed for what they got coming. My goals right now are to slim down a bit while retaining as much muscle mass as possible. After that I plan on adding mass.

Same here. I'm doing the cutting version of ICF right now. Once I reach my goal (190 lbs), I'm going to try and follow the bulk plan Arnold lays out in his book Education of a Bodybuilder while doing the non cutting version of the 5x5. What's your goal weight?

Current Quest

Instagram | Website

Seems like a solid plan. I've never been a fan of the six small meals a day thing but if it works for you go for it.

I haven't quite decided on a goal weight. I'm going to try to get to around 10-12% body fat and then see much muscle I can add from there. Really though I like to stay between 190 and 200 if I can.

• Like 1

Today was supposed to be my weekly weigh-in, but I've postponed it until tomorrow. I made a bad choice (unknowingly) and am trying to make up for it a little bit. Last night for dinner, we were looking for a cheap and easy option for dinner so we decided to make stir fry (the canned version my mom used to make). Nutritionally it wasn't bad except for the sodium. Holy crap I did not realize how much sodium is in soy sauce! Yesterday my sodium consumption was 6,103.7 mg. Normally it's half of that. Other than that, I was good. Not over on my calories, macros were good.

I weighed myself yesterday morning (same conditions as usual) and I was 239.8 lbs. I weighed myself today and it said 244.8 lbs. I'm willing to accredit the difference to the amount of water my body is retaining because of the sodium intake at dinner last night. I'm going to try to get to 2 gallons of water (usually around 1 to 1.5) and staying under 100g of carbs to try and flush out the extra water weight. That way I should have a more accurate weigh-in tomorrow morning.

I haven't been overly motivated to run lately, although I have been going for brisk walks on my off days which at least makes me feel a little better. My nose gets so cold when I run. Happy Friday!

3oEdvawuSWUFWfWP0k.gif

Current Quest

Instagram | Website

Things like that are why I weigh every day. It's easier to see fluctuations based on sodium etc when it's a sudden jump like that.

Yeah, I've been weighing myself more often. My concern with doing it every day is that it will become an unhealthy obsession for me and I'll lose track of the idea that weight isn't everything.

Current Quest

Instagram | Website

Yeah, I've been weighing myself more often. My concern with doing it every day is that it will become an unhealthy obsession for me and I'll lose track of the idea that weight isn't everything.

To an extent, weighing myself every day dulled me to it. It became a number rather than a measure of self-worth.
  • Like 1

I took them monthly when I was losing weight. I'm now pretty static but can see major changes in photos (posted one on my challenge thread last week).

I'll check it out. Maybe I'll do that. I'll weigh myself daily for a few weeks and see how it goes and take my measurements once or twice a month instead of every week. Thanks SpecialSundae!

Current Quest

Instagram | Website