Keeping on Mac-ing on

Mac

Placeholder post! I'm on vacation through the end of the day, but I'm noodling on my challenge goals. Have a good start everyone!

Level 7 Ranger, Perpetual Newbie

Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?

Mary Oliver

Noodle away, will stay tuned!

OMG, I thought that my place holder thread had failed to post, and then I was so vexed and crazy busy that I didn't have the wherewithall all week to come back and start over. Silly Mac! Okay, now, I'm going to write my challenge post for reals!

Mary Oliver

I am starting late, but not as late as it seems: I was on vacay at the start of this challenge, but I've been "on it" since Tuesday, so I only missed Monday, really. However, by missing the opening of the challenge, I didn't get my starting weights and measures in, and I'm sure I sacrificed some early momentum. Time to make up for lost time!!

Goal 1 (or are they supposed to be quests now? I can't keep up): Keep on keeping on

So, this is sort of the theme of this challenge for me: keep doing what's working. For me, that is limited grains and very limited sugar, a little bit of dairy, a little bit of red wine but no other booze, and everything else primal. My short five day vacation from this eating last week has definitely kicked my butt in terms of getting back on this program! And, very important point: no work snacking of any kind unless I pack it myself or it's a very unique occasion. That falls under my 90% good/10 % as good as possible rule.

Bonus goal for this challenge: cook at least once a week!

Goal 2: Play it again, Mac

I'm liking the workout pace I set in the last challenge--5 times a week if possible, definitely no less than 4. Two strength training sessions, and two runs, plus whatever else I like. My running pace has gotten a bit better over the past challenge--my last two 5k-ish runs were under 37:30! woot!--so I'm also trying to work on pace by working in hills, the little hills in my neighborhood anyway. I'm shopping for a cheap fitness band to help me do a better job tracking distance, so I can vary my route without worrying about how many miles I'm getting in. 

Bonus goal: 5k in 33 minutes by the end of the challenge.

Goal 3: Finish what you started

During last challenge I only got about 75% of the way through my goal of putting my financial house in order so that I can start working on buying a house for real, so I need to finish that up. The remaining steps are: annual credit check; rolling over old 403b to new 403b and seeing what I can do about my old pension, if anything; opening account with my credit union and getting pre-approval letter for mortgage; filing medical reimbursements; invoicing for current freelance editing gig; find realtor.

Bonus goal (cause it's fun!): set budget for end-of-year charitable giving.

Goal 4: Honor your commitments

This is the only new part of this challenge, but it ties in with all the others. Lately, I've found myself way too ready to bail out on things/events/people that I've committed to. I know that it's a symptom of feeling stretched a little too thin this time of year, but it's also not how I want to be. (Today I read on some blog about "the LA yes," by which folks in Los Angeles say yes they'll be there when they really will not. I so do not want to be that person.) So, I am going to a) not overcommit, but also B) show up when I say I will or when I know that I should, even when I don't much feel like it. Hibernation, like Twitter, is on hold until the holidays. 

Bonus goal: make sure to call my mom at least every other day. Super important around the never-ending holiday season that is upon us, and I've been falling down on this front lately.

I'm going to start on goal 4 by getting ready to head to a dinner party with colleagues whom I don't know very well that I don't much want to go to, though this will probably not help me much on goal 1, since I will have no control over the food. But, I can be good the rest of the weekend, so it's all gonna work out.

• Like 2

Mary Oliver