Side Quest 1: Cooking with Quina

RisenPhoenix

quina_quen.jpg

The Holidays-encompassing challenge.  The last challenge of the year.  Probably the hardest challenge many of us face with lots of parties, which usually contain less-than-ideal fare.

So, we're going to take a life lesson from Final Fantasy IX's Blue Mage, Quina.  Quina goes around and eats EVERYTHING, just to expand her culinary palate.  You challenge for this week?  Find a new, healthy dish and cook it.  The ultimate goal?  Become comfortable with the dish and offer to bring it to a party so you know you have at least one healthy option to fall back on.  If your families are anything like mine, that's potentially the only healthy dish around (seriously, two years ago my family had NO green veggies at all at Thanksgiving OR Xmas).

So, find a dish, or ask for ideas.  Try cooking it up, and then share the results!

Happy eating!

• Like 2

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Keep it here for now. Better to get a discussion!

Myself, I may do a meat and potato stuffing in a roasted pumpkin. Or something pumpkin. Have one laying around right now.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Final Fantasy 9 - based challenges?  Yes please.

I'll have to browse around to find something new.  My go-to for past years has been Apple-Cinnamon Roasted Veggies, but I'd like to expand my culinary pallete a bit and wow the relatives with a new dish.

Sky Pirate Monk

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

NF Character

Battle Log

Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit - Vyse the Blue Rogue

If the theme is Final Fantasy, I'm seriously tempted to play along from the shadows...... and that with everything else I have going on, hahaha.  I'm going to be peeking in here and making googly eyes at your theme (and probably your food).

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

I made a Popeye-Super Mario breakfast combo. Scrambled eggs with spinach and mushroom.

I haven't tried spinach before, and I haven't bothered scrambling eggs either. I'm not convinced spinach is for me, but I'll try to use what I bought before it goes bad (if it lasts over the weekend while I'm away). I have a couple of picture I can edit into this post later.

Level 4 Human Assassin/Monk
Str 11 | Dex 10 | Sta 2 | Con 6 | Wis 8 | Cha 4
Intro - Challenges: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

One thing that I will usually do with eggs and spinach is brown some ground beef, saute some onions, the mushrooms, and a little bit of garlic, toss in the spinach and cover so the spinach wilts down. Then pour the scrambled eggs over everything and stir until the egg is cooked. Top with some parmesean and you've got a tasty meal. Growing up, my parents would make that for us on camping trips.

• Like 1

WhiteBeltBrowncoat | Four-week Challenge 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Current

Goal: Weigh 238 lbs by 10/14/2018 SW(201809112):245.9 / CW(201800917):244.2

Think Progress, Not Perfection

I'll be giving this a shot over the weekend (sans bread).  Will post pictures of result.

http://ohmyveggies.com/recipe-baked-pumpkins-with-spinach-mushrooms-and-cheese/

I'll include some meat in the one I make the one I make this weekend, but take it out over thanksgiving for the benefit of my vegetarian siblings.

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit - Vyse the Blue Rogue

RESULTS:

Chorizo, Beef, Onion, and Mushroom-stuffed Pumkins.

post-30174-0-61491700-1447021203_thumb.j

Delicious!  If I make this for thanksgiving, I think I'll modify it to make it more of a sweet side-dish.  Maybe stuff it with apples and carrots and walnuts.  Still, I'm happy with how it turned out for this week's lunch!

• Like 1

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

Mission accomplished (though I won't be taking this to a party): Portuguese fish stew.  Olive oil, onions, paprika (smoked and regular), hot sausage in place of the chorizo, can o' tomatoes, sliced peppers, a handful of leftover kale, a can of clams, chunks of whatever that white fish sitting in the freezer was, and a bay leaf.  I might leave out the clams next time.  Not sure they went with the other flavors.  Couple of shrimp might have been nice, though.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Reposting this

Couscous Salad with Pomgranade

- 150 g Couscous

- half a pomgranade

- one eggplant

- one bellpepper

- one red onion

- salt, pepper, some chili

First you cook the couscous. Than you dice the eggplant, the bellpepper and the onion, befor tossing them in a pan with some olive oil. Just fry them for two minutes. If you like raw vegetables you can let the bellpepper and the onion raw and only put the eggplant pieces in the pan. Than you mix the vegetables, the pomgranade seeds and the couscous together. If you want to store it: It looks nicer, when you add the pomgranade later, because it colors the couscous.

Pumpkin Muffins

- 150 g blended pumpkin (sweet mama or hokkaido)

- 3 spoons of olive oil

- 200 ml joghurt

- 1-2 eggs

- 50 g blended nuts

- 150 g flour

- natron

- salt, pepper, herbs

You mix everything together for the dough and fill it in cupcake forms. It's really good for partys or as gimmick for your lunchbox.

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!