Winwaloeus is still looking for a clever Topic Title

Winwaloeus

Hi everyone !

so i did my first 6wc as a recruit, and then i looked into the depths of myself and decided i wanted to be a fireman ranger. So Here i am !!

Main Goal : i want to be fit, feel good, get stronger and have more stamina, so i am less likely to die Young or live as a couch slug. it has its charm, but i'm done with it ! Now i am with you all as a fighter against the empire in whatever form it is presenting itself !  I was 108 kg 3,5 month ago, today i'm 90, but i'm aiming for the symbolic number of 88, as it will officially get me out of the IMC obesity zone.

Goal 1 : [edit 11/10] i want to consolidate my moderate exercise/bodyweight work out but this time, i'll focus more on the core routine. So, as goal 1, i'll do 2 bodyweights routines per week (squats, lunges, push ups, dips) but i'll add three planks progressions in between (basic, side plank...) i'll be more descriptive later when i have more time  bodyweight, foolong the startbodyweight.com basic routine, including squats, handstand pullups, pullups/dips, legs raises progressions, horizontal pull ups and planks

Stats : (3)*6=18 sessions : STR +2 * CON + 2 * DEX +1 * STA +1

Goal 2 : Damn i want to ruck !! so this time, i'll accomplish the pvp challenge of 30 miles of rucking in 6 weeks. I'll start with 10# (regardless of the mileage, which i leave strictly the PvP as an extr motivation)

Stats : 1 session per week average, 6 sessions : STR +1 * CON + 1 * STA +1

Goal 3 : I lack sleep. So i'll organize myself to have at least, for a start, a 7 hour sleep possibily, each night before work. I'll shut down screens at 22:30 in these occasions. As i mostly get up at 6:30, it will leave me time to read before going to bed, which i love

Stats : 5 nights average*6=30 nights : CON + 1 * STA +1 * WIS +1

Life Goal : I want to persevere in my field of study and writing, which is medieval history. My next project is the scientific  transcription of a 11th century manuscript so it can be published and used for academic purposes by all scholars in my field. It's a long term work as i have summer 2016 as a deadline, but since i am doing it on my spare time... so same method : i'll have at least 2 one hour work sessions per week. I'll try to be more specific a bit later (number of pages transcripted at the end of the challenge)

Stats : 12 sessions : WIS +2  * CHA +1

so... here i go !!

week 1 day 1 :

i'm on a trip for work, but i managed to do my bodyweight in my hotel room before dinner. It went well, especially in the push up part, where i can definitely see the progress within my 5 sets routine : 10/10/7/8/8 (i was unable to do more than 3 good forms push ups a few weeks ago)

tomorrow, i'll go run along the river and do my 1st core routine

I did well in the eating section, though my hotel did not offered eggs or bacon which is my usual no carb breakfast. But i did not  overeat at the restaurant, had no wine, no desert. Had a bit more carbs than usual, but since i managed to walk a bit and workout, it shoud be ok. I'm aiming at not gaining weight by the end of this week because i'm out of my comfort zone but i don't want to put too much pressure, i'll leave the weight loss goal for next week.

• Like 1

Winwaloeus, level 3 ranger

STATS : STR 7 | STA 9 | DEX 2 | CON 9 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

My introduction is Here - My Battle Log is There - 6wc I - 6wc II - 4wc III - 4wc IIII (ongoing)

Main goal : lose excess fat down to 14% (currently, i look roughly like a : 20 to 25 -according to many sites offering pictures for comparison)

current 4wc progress :

Goal 1 : walk !!! (2h27 out of a minimum 12)

20%
20%

Goal 2 : Sprint (1 out of 4)

25%
25%

Goal 3 : Lift (2 out of 12)

20%
20%

Life Goal : History work (3 out of 12 )

25%
25%

hey pirate ! real cool to see you there ! i myself almost missed the start of the new challenge, and did not find time to post since monday, which is totally lame ! did not even take time to find out about fellow former recruits !

ok, now i'm back at home after a week fighting against the roman empire in the ancient city of Lyon. i had a great time, but i'm happy to go back to my usual routines! the greatest experience though was going to run in a totally unknown place... i felt like the greatest adventurer of all times ! 

So, i did not do so bad for a first week

did 2 bodyweight sessions, 2 core routines (i have one left for tomorrow) and was above the 10000 steps 4 days out of 5, with a nice  7 kms run on tuesday along the river Saone.

Yesterday, i went for a first rucking session, 9 kms with 7 kgs on the back : i use my old hiking bag, stuffed it with towels and water bottles on the top, it did fine. I almost did not go because of the rain, but then i thought, hey, what would a ranger do ? so i got out and i did well, since it almost immediately stopped raining. Rucking was a strange experience : real easy in the beginning, real tough for the last 3 kms, when i really felt the weight drawing on my shoulders and upper back. I was surprised to realize that sometimes, i was actually GRINNING with effort to maintain my pace. Today, i feel fine, but i'm feeling my ankles and feet... so i really have to take time to rest.

I managed to get 7 hours sleep space each night, but the problem is my sleeping quality is not good, probably due to stress : i dream a lot (and not of unicorns or nice stuff of this sort !!  :panda: ), i awake one or 2 times in the first hours of the morning, go back to sleep and i wake up with a feeling of not being rested. But now i'm back home, i will try to settle things down and hopefully it will be better at the end of the challenge. 

I did not start my history goal because i did not have my stuff with me  in Lyon, but i'll start next week and i am quite excited about it...

i'll come back later to deal with the stats aspect, which i did not take time to do yet...

My introduction is Here - My Battle Log is There - 6wc I - 6wc II - 4wc III - 4wc IIII (ongoing)

Main goal : lose excess fat down to 14% (currently, i look roughly like a : 20 to 25 -according to many sites offering pictures for comparison)

current 4wc progress :

20%
20%

25%
25%

20%
20%

25%
25%

yeah, good !! but seriously, my legs are not rested yet though i was careful to walk on a normal pace today... right now, i can feel my ankles cursing me ! i did not know i had muscles there... :numbness: :numbness: :numbness: :numbness:

current 4wc progress :

20%
20%

25%
25%

20%
20%

25%
25%

9 km for a first ruck-very impressive stuff!

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I've been away from the forums for a couple of days. But I'm back today and I've found you!

Damn ! and i thought i was discreet, with my name on the topic title and all !!!  :playful:

welcome back ! it took me a week too to get back in the forum accountability and fun routine !

9 km for a first ruck-very impressive stuff!

Thanks, but i was on the verge of overdoing it for a first trip ...  i could not have done a 100 m more ! i did not anticipated how my bagpack would weight on my shoulder after 6 kms. I loaded the weigh on top of the bag, as i've read on some rucking sites,  so it would not draw on my lower back, but it was still an impressive effect. 

My favourite topic title :D

Thanks !  :playful:

current 4wc progress :

20%
20%

25%
25%

20%
20%

25%
25%

core routine : done ! it was pretty much all i had on my hands to do today, and with that my first week is complete, apart from the "mad copyist" wich i'll start this week 

Barely walked, because i wanted to really rest my legs, and had little personal time anyway today. I did 2*10 mn walks during my breaks at work, mostly to get fresh air !

some colleagues brought cakes and pastries : i said "not on my watch" in a very Game of Thrones fashion (luckily i did that in my head) but i did not eat it though ! so that's a win ! instead, i made them taste brasilian nuts, grilled almonds and cashews. Niark niark. come to the light side.

i've been reading here  about sleep-improving and realized my goal 3 setting was a bit monolithic : how do i know i need 7h sleep ? and do i need to go to bed earlier, or wake up earlier ? (or the other way around :playful: ) so i'm likely to shift it a bit, with something like : find my ideal sleep window : go to bed 15 mn earlier from time to time  (as described here) until i wake up before the alarm (usually 6:30 on work days). 15 mn is relative : tonight, i go home at 21:30, i know i won't be able to go to bed too soon, because i need time to eat, watch a little TV (orange is the new black or The Wire... just one episode, i swear !!  :nightmare: ). On regular days, when i'm alone or with my kid, i'm able to schedule up my evening routine so that i can go to bed at the desired time.

In the meanwhile, I'll analyze my sleep needs starting tonight with Sleepbot for android, which is said to be able to wake you up in the right sleep phase 30 mn around the set alarm clock... 

Lately i've been thinking about my bodyweight routine : the dips and pushups parts are really motivating, while i get bored with the squats and lunges, though i enjoy the cardio workout i get in the circuit... so i've been musing on startbodyweight.com and i realized it was because i have no progression for the latter beside piling the reps... and the site offers such challenging and great progressions to increase the weight and the results, with varying exercises which are also skills i want to work on,  while keeping the reps low... so i think i'll give a try to the basic routine, but keep the plank progression aside for the moment, during the challenge

• Like 1

current 4wc progress :

20%
20%

25%
25%

20%
20%

25%
25%

Hi! I'm following along to see how you do with the startbodyweight-stuff and because books and because the transcription project sounds really interesting. I have never thought about what that would entail before. What sort of manuscript is it you're working on (if it's not top-secret!)?

"There are some good things to be said about walking. Not many, but some. Walking takes longer, for example, than any other known form of locomotion except crawling. Thus it stretches time and prolongs life. Life is already too short to waste on speed." Edward Abbey

Ah ah you're damn right ! i will tell you and THEN i'll have to kill you !!  :mushroom:  :mushroom:  :mushroom:

thanks for your interest, though... 

it's what we call a "Cartulary" from the 11th century. It's a collection of documents written by monks to record the donations of their possessions... here's a sample :

Image34.gif

this one is great because the monks also copied in it all the 9th century texts related to the traditions of their legendary founder, using it to justify the antiquity of their monastery.

So my job is to transcript the latin here, which is heavily abbreviated, as it was the use in those times, to a printed form so that it can be used for translation and studies. LAter i'll have to compare this manuscript to other copies to establish the original text; or at least try to !

• Like 1

current 4wc progress :

20%
20%

25%
25%

20%
20%

25%
25%

Thanks! That looks like time-consuming and very inspiring work. :) Just the idea that you are re-writing the words that someone wrote down over  a thousand years ago ...

"There are some good things to be said about walking. Not many, but some. Walking takes longer, for example, than any other known form of locomotion except crawling. Thus it stretches time and prolongs life. Life is already too short to waste on speed." Edward Abbey

Damn ! and i thought i was discreet, with my name on the topic title and all !!!  :playful:

welcome back ! it took me a week too to get back in the forum accountability and fun routine !

Thanks, but i was on the verge of overdoing it for a first trip ...  i could not have done a 100 m more ! i did not anticipated how my bagpack would weight on my shoulder after 6 kms. I loaded the weigh on top of the bag, as i've read on some rucking sites,  so it would not draw on my lower back, but it was still an impressive effect. 

Thanks !  :playful:

I'll have to try loaded the weight on top of the bag, I didn't when I tried rucking, and it  kept banging against my back

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Thanks! That looks like time-consuming and very inspiring work. :) Just the idea that you are re-writing the words that someone wrote down over a thousand years ago ...

Said like that it makes me look like a total madman! I love it! ;)

Envoyé de mon RAINBOW en utilisant Tapatalk

• Like 1

current 4wc progress :

20%
20%

25%
25%

20%
20%

25%
25%

I'll have to try loaded the weight on top of the bag, I didn't when I tried rucking, and it kept banging against my back

Towels did the job and they can also prevent your weights from shifting position

current 4wc progress :

20%
20%

25%
25%

20%
20%

25%
25%

week 1 day 7 :

screens dhut at 10h30pm, lights shut 11:15pm. 7h+ sleep. Goal 3 is good for week 1

week 2 day 1  :

pretty active, though i was on a meeting for most of the day, with 7000+ steps. Did short power walks to save the day !

tried my first "start bodyweigh basic routine". 4/4/4 bulgarian split squats, 4/4/4 horizontal pulls, 8/6/4 pullups, 4/4/4 pike handstand pullups, 4/4/4 knee raises. Did that in a circuit, in order to get a good heart work out. I think these progressions are very motivating, since they lead directly to things i want to succeed in, like pull ups, chin ups, pistols squats, in a very progressive way.

screens shut à 10:30pm, lights shut à 11:00pm after reading. 7+ sleep (though i was awaken by my daughter in the middle of the night !).

Week 2 day 2 :

power walks (30/10/10/5/5) and 10000+ steps. So that's a win. considered doing my core routine, but i reflected on the fact that tthe stat bodyweight routine included a plank progression that could fit me very well. So i'll do this one instead, with the main bodyweigh routine, which keeps it 3 times a week. I'm updating my goal 1.

too tired tonight to do anything else. Tomorrow is an off day, i'll start my history work, i can't wait.

• Like 1

current 4wc progress :

20%
20%

25%
25%

20%
20%

25%
25%

week 2 day 3

bodyweight session : done ! integrated the plank progression at the end of it. Box dips with one leg elevated : nice !

went on a nice bike ride along the river with my kid. I was surprised to see her go along all the way on that 8 kms ride ! it was a beautiful autumn afternoon. I felt really happy and grateful

History session : done ! organized all my stuff, transcribed the introduction to the text...

week 2 day 4 :

8000+ steps : not so bad for a day stuck in meetings. could have gone on a longer post lunch stroll but i had errands to run which took most of my time...

• Like 1

current 4wc progress :

20%
20%

25%
25%

20%
20%

25%
25%

Week 2 day 5 :

7000+ steps. Wanted to do my bodyweight but with 2 friends, we  got stuck moving 600 1L bottles of apple juice we're about to sell to our kids' school benefit, which was pretty much natural strength training !..

one night rest, and i'll do the REAL workout tomorrow. I'll plan to ruck on this week end too, sunday should be great

current 4wc progress :

20%
20%

25%
25%

20%
20%

25%
25%

week 2 day 6:

had a short stroll today, did my bodyweight, too, and a history session. ok, fine.

forgot to tell about the sleep : screens shut at 10:30pm every work night, lights off at 11/11:15 pm with more 7 hours sleep every night. so that's a win on this goal for the week.

Weight in : 88.7 !! (-1.3kgs) and 95cm waist (1cm)  unbelievable. I did not lose weight last week (nor did i gain some !) after a week of controlled restaurant eating, local specialties tasting, and more carbs than usual. Went back to my usual routine this week, and i jump very close to my goal, which is 88 (out of the IMC obesity zone, though i suspect it does not mean much anymore once you've started working out... but still... ) today, i put back some pants i bought when i was... 17... 20 years ago. I can hardly believe it !! now someone gets me back my hair !!

• Like 3

current 4wc progress :

20%
20%

25%
25%

20%
20%

25%
25%

Congratulations on very-very-nearly hitting your weight goal (and fitting into those old pants)!! That's very cool. :) Do you think you're going to set a new goal after that (and after basking in your accomplishment for a suitable time-period, of course ;) ) or do something else?

hey Ellis_e

thank you very much for celebrating with me ! you are asking the good question. Where am i heading in terms of weight ?

currently i'm too occupied running around in my appartement throwing "woot woot " all over the place... but thinking of it, i want more than everything to feel good, stay alive for my kid, be able to do things, and a litlle bit... look good with and without shirt... oh the vanity... :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface:

so i think i'll formulate my next goal in terms of bodyfat percentage... because i don't have a clue what my ideal weight has to be, but i sure as hell am fighting fat ! but i have to find out a sure method and set proper goals that will lead me on the rest of the journey

Thanks for helping me take time to reflect, i did not have a clue, i was blind and now i see !!

• Like 2

current 4wc progress :

20%
20%

25%
25%

20%
20%

25%
25%

Week 2 day 7 :

rucked 10 kms this morning, went really fine. done a few chores 'round the appartment, and tackled an history session. Now that i can see more clearly what's to be done, i think i can reasonnably transcript one chapter per session. There's 51 on them, plus the "praefatio" and the "chapter tables" which i have already transcripted. So, today, chapter 1, done too !!

Week overview :

goal 1 : Thats an A, all my sessions done, with the exercises in a circuit. Gotta get me one of them pull up bars, though. I do not have a proper grip on the stairs steps...

goal 2 : A too. got my second session of rucking. Great time.

Goal 3 : A. Every work night, screeens shut at 10:30 pm and an average 7:15 sleep

goal 4 : Missed the first week cause i was not home. Added an extra session this week, will do the same next week, so i'll be even.

Next Week on the Walking Geek

Bodyweight MON WED FRI

Ruck WED

HISTORY MON WED THUR

• Like 1

current 4wc progress :

20%
20%

25%
25%

20%
20%

25%
25%