CooeyMan Introduction - Motivation For Self & Others

Hello Nerd Fitness Community,

I'm CooeyMan, a Christian, a husband, and a father to two young boys. I own/operate a CPA firm in the Midwest USA. I'll be starting another daily log to track my progress, but will provide a little more on my life and motivation for joining Nerd Fitness. 

I turned 30 last week and that served as a little bit of wake up call for me. For the most part, I live the American dream. I've been able to start a successful business at a young age and have a great family in place. Not much drama, no crazy in-laws, a great relationship with my wife, and two young boys that mean the world to me. We have a great group of friends and family. What can I say, I'm a blessed man!

Background

But... I'm your typical office drone. I spend most of my day in front of a computer screen. I always said I didn't want an office job, but after getting married at a young age I wanted/needed "security". Turns out I really enjoy my profession, but you don't typically think of the office accountant as a fitness guru (and for good reason!). My body looks like that of a 55 year old couch potato! My current physical stats are: 6' 3" and I weigh 271 lbs (as of this morning). 

I wasn't always like this. I played sports all growing up and even played basketball in college (though I had trouble maintaining my weight as a college athlete). I've always enjoyed lifting weights and physical exercise, but have never been a clean eater. As far back as I can remember, I've had fast food, junk food, and all things utterly lacking in nutrition as main staples of my diet.

So somewhere between starting my first professional job and studying for the CPA exam, I let myself go. The scales tipped at 294 lbs at one point about 5 years ago, though I could've been even heavier as the SCALE is a dreaded machine to be avoided. Obviously it sounds so simple when you think and write about it, but the combination of long hours, poor nutrition, and no exercise resulted in fat me. 

Looking Forward / Goals

I'm a pretty simple guy. I don't want to look like the gladiators from 300, but I do want to be physically fit. In non-specific terms, that means:

1. Being able to play with my sons all day on a Saturday and not be so completely exhausted that I can't move the next day.
  2. Being able to join a basketball and soccer league so I can again play the sports I loved.
  3. Being able to replace lazy entertainment (watching the NFL) with physical entertainment (going hiking with my wife).
  4. Wearing a suit and not have any gut hanging over.
  5. Feeling confident with my physique so it isn't a mental distraction in everyday life.

I'll be starting a journal to help keep myself accountable and will be giving more SMART goals I can follow over there.

Anyways, turned into a book, but I'm glad to be a part of the community and look forward to changing my life forever.

Thanks for reading!

• Like 1