DreamDancer: a breath of fresh air

DreamDancer

I will flesh this challenge out more later, but the basics are:

1. Use my new cpap machine every night for 4+ hours

2. Forget to smoke

3. Work up to playing didgeridoo 1/2 hour per day, 5 days per week.

Life quest portion:

1.Revamp my website.

2.Rework my code on Github and get my basic code there.

3. Reconfigure my resume.

4. Fill out my LinkedIn (and anything else I forgot about) per codelouisville instructions.

Backstory: Although I was hit by a pick-up truck last year and have fibromyalgia, within the past few months I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and the beginnings of 'potter's rot' (aka brown lung /aka silicosis).

So the focus of this challenge is my lungs and upper respiratory tract, and prepare to get a different job.

BATCAVE revisions :

Vacuum all of the carpet in my apartment and steam clean it with a steam mop, then follow up with a carpet cleaner. (I had gotten lazy about taking off my work clothes immediately upon getting home over the years and there's probably a ton of Pottery dust in my carpet, along with cat dander and dust from renovation to the apartment building.)

• Like 2

My current 6 week Adventurer challenge - DreamDancer Respawns

Previous challenges - #1 - #2  - #3

My NF introduction post

website

Goal: to be "20 pounds of crazy in a five pound bag."

Some serious challenges as part of this challenge. Good luck! I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea as well and will get my CPAP in a couple weeks. Interested to hear about your experience.

If you haven't done the 'titration' sleep study with the mask and machine part yet, make sure to get the right mask (for you) . The first tech was going to give me a medium - the second one substituted a small, and now that I have it home, I am wondering if there is an extra small.

I figured that the technicians would know best because they do the fittings all the time, but I have been reading a forum 'cpap talk' and the folks there emphasize having the techs go through the various choices.

http://www.cpaptalk.com/CPAP-Sleep-Apnea-Forum.html

I have to have a 'full' mask because I have a deviated septum and breathe through my mouth sometimes. The problem I am having at the moment is 'leaks'. The machine runs great for some time, but then I turn over or move my jaw and the air flow starts leaking out the side.

I may not be adjusting the straps that hold it on quite right though... I have only had the machine since last Friday, and it apparently takes a week or so to get used to.

I chose the didgeridoo as my 3rd quest, as from what I have been reading, it exercises the breathing muscles and has been used to help treat sleep apnea. I also think I might be able to get myself to substitute inhaling through a cigarette for exhaling through a bit of tubing. (I found directions for making one out of pvc tubing. I may buy a wooden one later, but figured the homemade version will do for now.)

• Like 2

My NF introduction post

website

I have been using the cpap every night since last Friday, usually 5+ hours (which may still include a nap, especially on the weekend.) I used it watching TV for a bit too, in order to get used to having it on my face.

So far :

1. The cornea of my eyes are not so red in the morning that people think I have been smoking pot or have conjunctivitis. They aren't totally clear but the difference is noticeable. (I thought this was allergy until it went away with the only change being cpap.)

2. My ankles aren't getting sock lines from edema.

3. The pain in my left shoulder and hip is less.

4. I want to stretch like a cat when I get up. I haven't wanted to MOVE any muscles when I wake up let alone stretch for a long long time.

5. My neck and chest were getting papery, dry, wrinkled old lady skin. The rest of my skin was very dry. As of yesterday the wrinkles are gone.

6. I am not nauseous in the morning! One day I even wanted to eat breakfast! (I spent one whole challenge a while back trying to get myself to eat breakfast.)

7. My feet aren't ghastly white with red toes when I take a bath. A little pale with pink toes, but not seriously white.

I have no idea how long I have had sleep apnea, but a lot of what I am noticing is stuff I had come to think was 'normal' is changing.

I think most of this is due to getting more oxygen as my oxygen level drops to 80 % when I sleep (without the cpap).

This all has to be due to the oxygen, because I am not sleeping through the night (in fact I woke up 5 times last night.)

I think that's a three part problem :

1. I am still getting used to the mask.

2. I have to work out the leak problem.

3. One of the guys on the cpap forum says it can take a while for your body (and brain) to realize it doesn't have to wake you up so you don't die.

• Like 2

My NF introduction post

website

Hi DreamDancer, my mom has just been diagnosed with sleep apnoea so I am interested to see how you get on. She has had her CPAP for a couple of weeks but it's great to read you've noticed some big changes since using yours. 

Regarding your challenge, do you have any idea how you will grade your progress?

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

1. Use my new cpap machine every night for 4+ hours

2. Forget to smoke

3. Work up to playing didgeridoo 1/2 hour per day, 5 days per week.

Backstory: Although I was hit by a pick-up truck last year and have fibromyalgia, within the past few months I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and the beginnings of 'potter's rot' (aka brown lung /aka silicosis).

I know so many people that use a cpap machine and it makes a big difference.

My mom quit smoking and it was really hard for her. best of luck. Seriously.  Is this a pass/fail situation for you?  Same with the other goals as well, I guess.

And didgeridoo is awesome.

Sorry to hear so much bad shit has been happening to you.  Never heard of it called 'potter's rot'.

Hi DreamDancer, my mom has just been diagnosed with sleep apnoea so I am interested to see how you get on. She has had her CPAP for a couple of weeks but it's great to read you've noticed some big changes since using yours.

Regarding your challenge, do you have any idea how you will grade your progress?

I didn't even think about grading this time.

I have to meet the 4 hour requirement for using the cpap, to comply with the insurance. Most nights that hasn't been a problem, except that now when the mask leaks, I have had a tendency to take it off. It's like once it starts leaking, I can't get it to stop and every effort just makes it worse. I think I have to disconnect it and adjust it without air going through it.

Right now I am mostly concerned with not busting on myself and regaining my equilibrium. I hadn't really realized how tired I am, until I started getting actual sleep. I'm waking up at least 3 times a night, but the quality of sleep is better.

This morning is the first time in years that I have woke up feeling somewhat refreshed. I would have thought I was before, but it is relative- now that I have woken up feeling somewhat refreshed, I realize that there's a difference between that and just being a little less tired than I was the day before.

My NF introduction post

website

I know so many people that use a cpap machine and it makes a big difference.

My mom quit smoking and it was really hard for her. best of luck. Seriously. Is this a pass/fail situation for you? Same with the other goals as well, I guess.

And didgeridoo is awesome.

Sorry to hear so much bad shit has been happening to you. Never heard of it called 'potter's rot'.

For the quitting smoking part, I am working with a book 'How to Quit Smoking in 15 Easy Years : The Slacker's Guide to quitting smoking'. The idea is to start forgetting to smoke.

It's a counterintuitive process. You start by enjoying the smoking, and not busting on your self for doing it. Then you start finding other moments of your day to enjoy. The author keeps reinforcing the idea that quitting isn't really 'doing something' - it's simply not doing something. (smoking)

I worked with this on the previous challenge too, but at some point, while I was waiting to get the cpap machine, it became pretty obvious that I have a much better chance of quiting when I can get better sleep. I think when I tried in the past, I didn't feel much better for having quit, but now I might.

For the most part I am currently focused on the sleep portion,and it's a bit odd : things I tried to do in other challenges are falling into place, without any particular effort. (Like eating breakfast - I am not waking up nauseous, and am actually a little hungry in the morning.)

I did get the beeswax Mouthpiece on the didgeridoo / pipe over the weekend, so now I can start picking it up now and again.

I really am not particularly grading any of it - I am a bit more focused on noticing the small differences in how I feel as opposed to the day before - like yesterday is the first time in ages, if ever, that I didn't nearly fall over asleep at 3 pm at work.

• Like 1

My NF introduction post

website

How are things going?

I am not very good at keeping up with progress reports, but it's been a hectic week - and I didn't even really 'do' Thanksgiving - AND took Friday off of work!

I am managing to keep the cpap mask on 4+ hours per night. Usually 5+ hours. I still get up about 2 hours after I get to bed for a potty break - but it's not urgent anymore. That part feels more like a habit now.

This is way down from waking up 3 or 4 times a night. Once I take the potty break, I am asleep til about 5:30 am. On the cpap forums someone said that you wake up 'too early' for a while, because your body isn't used to getting this much sleep, especially all at once, and thinks it's done.

I am making a serious effort to put the mask back on after the potty break- I get back up into bed (it's a loft bed) and just want to lay my head back down immediately. If I do that, I tend to fall asleep without the mask. Then if I wake up at 5 or so, I have to get it back on and rest or sleep til 7, so I get the 4 hours done.

I equipped the loft bed with a few more things, like a set of baskets to hold tissues and bottles of water for the cpap humidifier.

I did get a new cpap mask from the supplier and this one works MUCH better. It's supposedly an extra small, but part of it is a lot larger than the first one.

I also had to work out heating problems in my apartment. The heater only has 3 temperatures in the winter : hot, hotter and off. I used to solve this by leaving a window open, and turning the heater off one of the times I woke up during the night. Since heat rises, this doesn't seem to work with the loft bed - all the hot air just gets stuck over the bed.

So now I run the heater just enough to make it pleasant, and have a small space heater set to keep it at that temperature. (Before I did it this way, I was waking up overheating or freezing with an icy cold hunk of plastic stuck to my face.)

Forgetting to smoke hasn't happened yet. Playing didgeridoo is on hold...

However - I am graduating my android coding class! I have workshops next Monday and Wednesday to work on job hunting materials, and then on the 10th, employers and city officials, like the mayor will attend the graduation.

That's part of why the week has been so hectic. I had to make sure the folks running the classes knew that I finished them, make sure my code was on Github, and help a couple friends who were running a bit behind.

But there was also an emergency hospital situation in my boyfriend's family and that's sort of sucked up a lot of time, energy and emotional reserves.

• Like 2

My NF introduction post

website

I'm glad to hear you're finding your way with the cpap mask and congratulations on graduating your coding class! I hope all is well with your boyfriend's family.

Thanks! Things are looking up for my boyfriend's brother. He lived through 2 surgeries and a Medically Induced Coma so far...

As for me - I have entered another phase in the sleep. It turns out that after about a month of CPAP you start getting a ton of REM sleep to make up for what you lost for some years. (REM rebound)

My jawbone wristband is showing 4 hours of deep sleep to about an hour of light sleep. That started a day or two ago. But also I am not waking up refreshed like I was the first few weeks of therapy.

I wish the sleep doctor or therapists had mentioned this, as I thought I must be doing something wrong, but I found out what is going on via the cpap forum.

Apparently once you hit this phase, you enter REM sleep really quickly, and get a whole lot more. But part of the effect is to not really feel like you woke up in the morning.

They said that it generally lasts about 3 weeks, until you get enough REM sleep. It can last longer, but 3 weeks is about average. Most of the advice was to sleep as much as possible-up to 10 hours a day.

• Like 1

My NF introduction post

website