• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sulinar

Sulinar Three

Neal Stephenson's Seveneves was pretty odd, but I loved the character of Kath Three. And I really feel like I've at least partially reinvented myself over the summer - I'm now eating paleo almost all of the time, which has fixed the weird heartburn issue I've had for the previous year. It feels so good to be able to go to bed at night without the threat of heartburn waking me up. And I'm starting to automatically make the same kind of healthy choice when I'm away from home too, which is a big improvement.

I'm also doing NF Yoga maybe once every ten days, and the improvement in my stiff hip flexors is incredible. I've done a couple of running workouts recently and had no stiffness in my legs afterwards – also a big improvement.

Clearly slow change is my thing. But change is good, so I'll go with that.

However, I'm still carrying too much fat and the rate I'm burning it naturally through my diet (I reckon about 0.5-1 kg per month) is too slow. From past experience I burn fat best through exercise, and I reckon that if I combine regular workouts with this diet I ought to get some good results.

So I'm going to jump on this challenge in an attempt to build more new habits.

These are:

3 x weight workouts per week

3 x NF yoga per week (ideally a full session, but two mini-sessions = one full one if I need to squeeze the time a bit)

5 x walk/cycle per week

8 hours in bed per day (doesn't mean I'll sleep for that period, but I need to at least give myself the chance to try)

I'd also like to be turning my PC off by 9 pm, or at least stopping working on it and just using it to watch Netflix by then.

I'm not giving myself set points in advance, but I'll know what I feel like I've earned by the end of the challenge. My ultimate goal is to be able to run trails whenever/wherever I want without injuring myself on a regular basis. Because a ranger with muscles that get sprained every time she uses them is a pretty useless ranger.

I've not been able to post before today because work has been utterly mad, but I did do an NF yoga workout on Monday night (Tuesday morning) at 1 am just so that I could say I'd done my workout for that day.

Yesterday I did what turned out to be 2 hours' intense standing meditation in that I went to a Godspeed You! Black Emperor gig. Utterly.Mind.Blowing. Still buzzing from that.

Today I did a 10 km cycle ride around the autumnal countryside, and I feel another yoga session coming on a bit later.

• Like 1

So, extra yoga yesterday and weights today. Tick. Tomorrow will be NEAT rather than specific workouts I think as I'm at a meetup all day and then at another gig (anyone would think I had a life!) in the evening.

So, extra yoga yesterday and weights today. Tick. Tomorrow will be NEAT rather than specific workouts I think as I'm at a meetup all day and then at another gig (anyone would think I had a life!) in the evening.

sounds like your busy! 

• Like 1

Thanks YellowRose - yes, I am busy (I'm self-employed so things are almost always hectic, although I'm determined to take some time off in the early part of this week).

BUT on the positive side despite the busy-ness I'm really seeing some progress with my fitness, finally - I noticed a few days ago that I can now do proper squats! I've never been able to do them before because my knees have been weak since I was a kid, but now I can do them so that my thighs end up parallel to the ground or even a bit more than that, without having to hold onto anything to support my knees!

Also I've just done my NF yoga workout for today and I was a gnat's away from being able to touch the floor! Yipppee!!! I'm pretty sure it's the yoga that's helped with the knee muscles too - all those lunges. And that's what's released my hip flexors too, so I'm a BIG fan of NF yoga.

Been keeping up with my workouts, but not with the walking, although I've been pretty active generally (standing for another several hours at the gig on Friday again, for example) and today I shovelled leaves for an hour.

If I could just get rid of this weird sinus thing that I've had since I got an earful of sea in August I'd be feeling really quite fit. I dunno what it is; a few times over the last few days I've had a most unpleasant kind of crawly scalp feeling (which of course when I look it up on the internet it's an early sign of MS. Gah. The doctor said to use a nasal spray for a couple of weeks, so she's obviously not been Googling the same symptoms!)

Hey Sulinar,

Great looking goals for this challenge - of course I lilke it a lot that you are aiming for boring consistency :)

It sounds like your yoga is going really well - it makes me think that I should get back into yoga too. How are you finding the NF yoga (I feel that I missed out by not signing up)?

Hey Sulinar,

Great looking goals for this challenge - of course I lilke it a lot that you are aiming for boring consistency :)

It sounds like your yoga is going really well - it makes me think that I should get back into yoga too. How are you finding the NF yoga (I feel that I missed out by not signing up)?

You did miss out! But now you've got another chance to have sign up!

What I really like about it is that it's completely non-threatening. Kate makes a point of saying things like "If you can't get your hips all the way down, that's perfectly fine" and Staci and Steve aren't perfect. So I don't watch some gorgeous wiry person doing the exercises and look at my blubbery self and think "Nope". And it's really making me much more flexible. I've again chosen the boring approach - I'm doing Water A over and over again. (I've tried some of the others, and they're fine but I actually prefer seeing how I'm improving by doing the same session repeatedly).

Otherwise this week has gone pretty well. I've had some health issues with this blasted sinus thing (still present), and the usual work madness, but I've done all my workouts and yoga sessions. Or at least I will have if I manage to do some kind of workout this evening. Sleep is going fine - it's just the walking I'm just not getting in, although I did manage that today (and bloody hell, it's gone cold out - first day of proper winter, I think).

I think I will sign up this time around. I have done a few yoga classes in the past and found that it had very positive affects on my health (both mind and body), so it would be good to start it again. Thanks for sharing your opinion - it sounds like just the right sort of package for me. I'll have to see if I can afford it.

It sounds like you had a very good week, despite the sinus problems. I hope that you start to feel a bit better soon.

• Like 1

Still trundling away here, yoga, weights, yoga, weights... I have a day off every few days, and walking hasn't really happened because of snow/rain/storms, but that's OK. I've done Fire B twice this week and it's GREAT. Really challenging but manageable (with lots of wobbling). Makes me feel brilliant.

• Like 1

Just rounding this one off - I've done pretty well on developing a routine of yoga/weights, so I'm pleased with that. Walking has not happened, however, and nor has turning my computer off early. But I'm getting more time in bed, even though this often means I don't get up until late morning, but given that I'm self-employed that's not necessarily a problem.