Jormungand: Battle Log

Woke up and got to the fitness center before work. I weighed myself at 205.

Bench Press: 3x10 - 120#

Goblet Squat: 3x12 - 75#

Triceps Dip: 2x10 - BW: 1x6 - BW

Romanian Deadlift: 3x10 - 135#

I've been trying to focus on higher reps with lighter weight to make sure my form is where it should be, and I think it's going well so far.

It's a little more than a year out from World's Toughest Mudder 2016. I've been working pretty steady on my running. Trying to do 3-4 miles each session. I did 5.5 one day last week. I plan on going for a longer one this coming weekend.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

Introduction Battle Log Current Challenge

Previous Challenges: I, II, III, IV, VVI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

The new puppy in the house woke my wife and me up at around 4:45 this morning, so we figured we might as well get a workout in. I ran 5k followed by some stretching. Everything fitness related is on schedule in regards to my first challenge. I have lowered the weights that I lift to be more aware of my form. This seems to be helping. I can also tell that I am becoming a stronger runner. 

The only thing I need to be mindful of is my diet. I'd hate to get into the losing battle of trying to outrun my fork. Overall, it is much better than it used to be, but I need to make sure it doesn't start to slip. There are times where I find myself getting complacent. If I feel I've done really well for a couple days, it becomes easier to make sloppy decisions. Nothing major at this point, but things could always be tighter. 

One of the more insidious threats to progress is success. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

I went for a one mile run during this brisk 41 degree Indiana morning. Not a whole lot new to report. I plan on doing a lot of resting this week. I was able to meet all of my quests for the first challenge, so I'm looking forward to letting my muscles recover before starting back fresh next week.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Yesterday, I went for a two-mile run. Nothing fancy, just down the road and back. I'd like to start timing my runs, but I hate carrying things like my cell phone. I know that I can just check the clock before and after I leave for a rough estimate, but sometimes I like to do a longer cool down, and I don't want to feel pushed to run back into the house to see how long it took. No beer for the day, and I am constantly looking for small ways to make changes to my diet. For lunch, I swapped out French fries for sweet potato fries and had a chicken wrap instead of a cheeseburger.

Today, I made it into the fitness center at 5:40 a.m. Weighed myself at 205.

Bench Press: 3x10 - 125#

Dead Lift: 3x6 - 225#

Box Jump: 3x10

Tricep Dip: 3x10 - BW

Turkish Getup: 3 each arm - 25# kettlebell

Farmer Walk: 1/2 mile - 25# kettlebell each arm

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Today, the dogs woke me up at 5:00. After letting them out and catching up on some of the forums here, I made it to the fitness center a little before 6:00. It was just about 40 degrees, and I went roughly 4 miles. So far for this second week, I've kept up with all of my quest goals.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

My wife and I got to the fitness center right before 6:00 this morning. She is working on a C25K, and I did some lifting.

Bench Press: 3x10 - 125#

Goblet Squat: 3x10 - 80#

Towel Pull-Up: 3x8 - 70# assisted

Not as intense as two days ago, but we were on a slight time restriction. I was just happy to make it in.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

It's been a couple days since I've updated this. I went camping with some friends and didn't have a whole lot of Internet access. I went for an evening run today instead of  a morning run. I was pretty beat after the camping trip so I slept in a bit. I got a little over two miles in after work. Diet wasn't great over the weekend. I'll work to get a better grasp on it. Like has been said before, I don't need the added difficulty of working against crap food while trying to follow a training regimen.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Today felt good to get back into lifting after a few days off. I made it into the fitness center around 6:30 a.m.

Box Jump: 3x10#

Kettlebell Swing: 3x15 - 25#

Bench Press: 3x10 - 135#

Dead Lift: 3x8 - 225#

After that, my wife and I had breakfast that consisted of fried eggs, bacon, hash browns, and chocolate milk.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

It was pouring down rain this morning, so I wasn't able to run outside. I made it to the fitness center around 5:25 a.m. I was on a tighter schedule so I couldn't run as much as I wanted. I only did one mile, and it was on a treadmill. I have figured out that I hate running on a treadmill, but I guess it's better than not running at all. I did it at a faster pace than normal and clocked it in at 9:45. It was an ugly mile, but it was a mile nonetheless.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Got into the fitness center right at 6:00 a.m. today.

Bench Press: 3x10 - 135#

Dead Lift: 3x8 - 225#

Hip Touch: 3x10 each side

Plate Push: 5 down and back - 45# plate

Those plate pushes are a bear, but the feeling afterward is worth it.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

My wife and I slept in today as we both took the day off from work. We eventually got in a late morning run. She's still working on her C25K, and it's getting better for her. She said that she went farther than she initially expected. I went for four miles. I'm planning on running, weather permitting. However, I'm considering just saying to hell with it and running regardless. We all have to run in the rain sometime. I'll report back on how it goes.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Got the run in today at 3:30 p.m. It was 37 degrees here in Indiana this afternoon but the wind knocked it down several more degrees, plus it was pretty unforgiving coming out of the west. I changed it up today by running in town. We live out in the country, so this was a nice change. All in all, I ended up with about 3.2 miles.

One extra note: it was raining and snowing today, but it had stopped by the time I made it out there.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Ran today at 6:00 a.m. It was 31 degrees but not as much wind as the last run. My battle log posts are starting to sound like a weather almanac. I went for 2.75 miles. Things are still going strong.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

I was in the fitness center by 8:00 this morning.

Bench Press: 3x10 - 140#

Dead Lift: 3x8 - 235#

Hip Touch: 3x10 each side 40 assisted

Plate Push: 5 down and back - 45#

Goblet Squat: 3x10 - 80#

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Got up at 4:45 this morning with the dogs. It's funny how a month ago that would've seemed impossible, but it's amazing how adaptable the human body is. My wife and I always joke about how early we go to bed. Someone at work the other day told me in an embarrassed voice that she went to bed at 8:30 one evening. I told her that's about the time I usually start getting around for bed. Anymore, I much prefer getting up early and only staying out late one or two nights every couple of weeks.

It was 39 degrees this morning, and I got in another 2.75 mile run. I was blessed with watching the (almost) full moon set. It's not technically full until tonight.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Today is Thanksgiving. It is unseasonably warm here in Indiana, and there is about a 5 mph wind coming almost directly out of the south. I went for a run this afternoon, and the road I take goes straight south before I turn around and head back north to my house. I might as well have been running uphill that entire first half. However, on the way back, there was a really weird tranquility that I was running in since I was going with the wind. It was very peaceful and a massive reprieve for the return journey. I ended up running 6 miles, which is a new record for me. I never thought that I'd be the type of person to be able to run multiple miles. The same could be said for the fact that I actually enjoy it.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

I was hoping to be able to get outside.today, but it literally rained all day here in Indiana. I know that I should've just sucked it up and gotten out there. I hope people elsewhere were able to get out and enjoy themselves. My wife and I cleaned the house most of the day, so I decided that I'd give the BBWW a shot. I ended up going through and doing three circuits. It was a nice change compared to the lifting I normally do at the fitness center.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

I went for a 1 mile cold, wet run this morning. That's all I was able to get in since I am working today. The weather here has been pretty dreary, but I guess that's just about par for the course when it comes to Indiana Novembers. It has been warmer than normal, so that has helped with running outside. Anything to stay away from the treadmill. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

I had to drag myself out of bed this morning. I was up late last night helping with a music benefit and didn't get as much sleep as I'm used to. Plus, my wife and I grabbed a quick dinner that was from a restaurant that we used to eat at all the time. However, we hadn't been in a while, and the food quality wasn't as high compared to whether we would've made it at home. It's funny, but I don't remember feeling as bad when we used to go there all the time, but I guess that's just how it is sometimes. 

Ran for 2.75 miles again today. It was a struggle at times, but, as per usual, I was feeling really good after I finished. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

I ran 6 miles this morning. Last night, I'd considered running farther but ultimately decided against it. I don't want to try to do too much too soon. I'd only ever done it once before, and I don't really need to push myself into an injury. Right now, there aren't any major upcoming races this time of year (maybe a 5K this month, but nothing definite). It feels good to just use this time to slowly build up my stamina and strength so that, once the spring rolls around, I'll be ready to jump right in.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

I didn't get to post yesterday, but here is the log.

I got to the fitness center right as they opened at 5:30 a.m. I'd went to bed early the night before, so I was ready to launch into things.

Bench Press: 145: 3x8

Scapular Pull-Up: 3x10 - BW

Plate Push: 5 down and back - 45#

Farmer Walk: 1/2 mile - 25# kettlebell each arm

As much as I hate even typing the words, I believe I am going to up my reps on the plate pushes. We don't really have the space for a sled where I workout, but I feel that these get the job done.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Updates from yesterday and today. I will be back in the habit of logging my workouts daily, as I know I've been a bit behind lately.

Yesterday, I ran 2 miles after work. I wanted to go longer, but it gets dark so early this time of year that I didn't really feel safe out on the road. We live outside of town, and the road I run on is not very well lit other than the sporadic security lights at nearby homes. But, any run is better than no run.

This morning, I got up and did 3 circuits of the BBWW. That always starts off so easy, but I've usually got a bit of a sweat worked up by the end.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

I had to work again today, so I could only go for an abbreviated run. I changed it up a little this morning, though. Normally, I run on our main, paved road that is just a couple hundred feet from our house. However, we actually live on a gravel road, and I took that instead. Not quite what you'd call trail running, but the scenery was much more pleasant (wooded vs. fields). 

Anyway, I did 1.5 miles this morning. It was quite brisk, but I was able to move at a faster pace since I knew I wasn't going to be going as far. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

It was right around 40 degrees when I got to the fitness center at 6:30 a.m. There have been some discrepancies between how far my Fitbit says that I've gone versus how far I've actually gone. There is a route around the hospital and fitness center where I do a lot of my running that I initially thought was 5K (or 3.1 miles). Well, my Fitbit only tracks it as 2.75. When I went for a run a few days ago, it tracked my mileage as only 5.4 miles where, according to the road signs, I actually went 6 miles. The differences between those two are roughly the same ratio on how far the Fitbit was off. I know that they've tracked it at the fitness center because I ran a 5K race there last summer. I'd just assumed that I remembered the path wrong, but my wife assured me that I was running it correctly. 

Anyway, I'm not going to go back and change what I've already posted, but I will try to be as accurate as possible for the future. Today, I ran 3.1 miles. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Another 6 mile run with the wind out of the south. It is worth running into that headwind if only for the joy of running the last half in what feels like a complete calm. I could run in weather like this all year.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar