Jormungand: Battle Log

I finished the first week of the 4WMNP tonight. I was definitely feeling some burning in my lower thighs, and I think there is some residual soreness where my shins meet my ankles. Overall, I am pretty pleased with this week, and I am looking forward to finishing out the challenge with these movements. 

• Stepping Over x 10: Perform in a slow and controlled manner. Switch sides.
  • Stepping Under x 10: Perform in a slow and controlled manner. Switch sides.
  • Lateral Figure Four Sitting Reverse x 12
  • Assisted Squat x 30: Hold at the bottom and bounce softly a few times before standing up.
  • Split Deep Knee Bend Reverse x 12
  • Deep Kneeling to Tall Kneeling x 12: Shift bodyweight backward as your knees go to the ground.
  • Deep Knee Bend to Deep Half-Kneeling x 12: Switch sides.

Level 13 Human Assassin

Introduction Battle Log Current Challenge

Previous Challenges: I, II, III, IV, VVI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

I did the first two days of the second week for the 4WMNP yesterday and this morning:

• Stepping Over Hurdle x 10: Perform dynamically, avoid counterbalancing with your arms. Switch sides.
  • Stepping Under Hurdle x 10: Perform dynamically, avoid rounding the back. Switch sides.
  • Lateral Figure Four Sitting to Tall Split Kneeling x 10: Switch sides
  • Deep Knee Bend to Tall Deep Knee Bend x 6: Perform while balancing. Avoid counterbalancing. Hold the tall stance 10 seconds each time.
  • Deep Squat x 20
  • Slow Split Squat x 10: Perform while balancing. Avoid counterbalancing. Switch sides.
  • Dynamic Split Squat x 10: As above.

• Stepping Over Hurdle x 10: Perform dynamically, avoid counterbalancing with your arms. Switch sides.
  • Stepping Under Hurdle x 10: Perform dynamically, avoid rounding the back. Switch sides.
  • Lateral Figure Four Sitting to Tall Split Kneeling x 12
  • Deep Knee Bend to Tall Deep Knee Bend x 8: Perform while balancing. Avoid counterbalancing. Hold the tall stance 10 seconds each time.
  • Deep Squat to Tall Kneeling x 15
  • Dynamic Deep Knee Bend x 10: Perform while balancing. Avoid counterbalancing. Start standing and get back to a standing position.
  • Slow and Controlled Deep Knee Bend Stances x 10: Perform while balancing. Start standing, lower your body slowly, and hold the deep stance for 10 seconds.

I am enjoying these movements so far except for the deep knee bend to tall deep knee bend. Towards the end, my calves and shins are really starting to catch fire. 

Level 13 Human Assassin

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

Pounded out a 6 mile run this morning before work. I struggled a little towards the end, because I don't think I was pacing myself very well when I started. Still, I finished in about an hour, so I'm pleased with my pace.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

I went into the fitness center this morning before work. It's been a while since I've been in, and it was pretty dead. I wanted to do some dip work for this week's portion of the Assassin mini challenge. I did some running on the treadmill today too, just to keep my mileage up.

AMSAP top dip hold: 45sec

AMRAP half-ROM dips (top half): 13

AMSAP half-dip hold: 20sec

Bottom dip hold for a cumulative total of 60sec: Complete

2.5 mile run

BW - 196

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Still moving forward with the 4WMNP. Little behind since this was only the third day for the second week, but I am looking to get caught up this week. I am still enjoying the moves, and some of these higher reps are putting a burn on my foot and shin muscles. 

• Stepping Over Hurdle x 10: Perform slowly, avoid counterbalancing with your arms. Switch sides.
  • Stepping Under Hurdle x 10: Perform slowly, avoid rounding the back. Switch sides.
  • Lateral Figure 4 Sitting to Tall Split Kneeling x 14: Switch sides.
  • Deep Squat to Medium Kneeling x 20
  • Deep Kneeling to Lateral Half-kneeling x 20: Switch sides.
  • Deep Knee Bend to Tall Deep Knee Bend x 10: Perform while balancing. Avoid counterbalancing. Hold the tall stance 10 seconds each time.

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

This morning I finished up the second week of the 4WMNP (a day late, but who's checking?).

Definitely looking forward to the third week.

• Stepping Over Hurdle x 10 : Perform slowly, avoid counterbalancing with your arms. Switch sides.
  • Stepping Under Hurdle x 10: Perform slowly, avoid rounding the back. Switch sides.
  • Lateral Figure Four Sitting to Tall Split Kneeling x 16: Switch sides.
  • Deep Squat to Deep Kneeling x 20
  • Deep Kneeling to Lateral Half-kneeling x 20: Switch sides.
  • Deep Kneeling to Lateral Half-kneeling to Split Kneeling x 10: Switch sides.
  • Split Deep Knee Bend Reverse x 12: Perform while balancing on a narrow surface.

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Started the third week of the 4WMNP tonight in my hotel room (which I will be in until Friday). I'm a little ticked that I didn't read ahead, because all of the moves are loaded. It would have been a perfect opportunity for me to use my 15# backpack. I did end up using my suitcase with my satchel tossed in (along with whatever contents were in there). I'd guess that it weighs about 10-12#. Not a whole hell of a lot, but enough to feel the strain by the end of the set. It's nice too that I don't have to go back and check each video to see how to do each move, which speeds things up somewhat.

Loaded

• Stepping Over x 8
  • Stepping Under x 8
  • Lateral Figure Four Seated to Tall Split Kneeling (Alternate sides) x 8
  • Deep Knee Bend x 8
  • Deep Knee Bend Stances x 8 (Hold as long as you can.)
  • Split Squat (Alternate sides) x 8
  • Medium Kneeling to Tall Kneeling x 8
  • Deep Knee Bend to Tall Half-kneeling (Alternate sides) x 8

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

I went for a run this morning around 6:00. I went for about 7 miles, and I felt really good throughout. I am at a library leadership retreat, and the city where it's located has some nice elevation changes. Nothing extreme, but enough that I felt the runs back uphill. A really nice run overall. 

This evening, I did the second day for this third week of the 4WMNP. Same scenario in that I used my suitcase again. I really like these loaded movements. 

Loaded

• Stepping Over x 12
  • Stepping Under x 12
  • Lateral Figure Four Seating to Tall Split Kneeling (Alternate sides) x 12
  • Deep Knee Bend x 12
  • Deep Knee Bend Stances x 12 (Hold for 10 seconds)
  • Deep Squat x 12
  • Deep Squat to Medium Half-kneeling (Alternate sides) x 12
  • Deep Squat to Tall Kneeling x 12

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Well, I guess I didn't track that I did the third day of the third week for the 4WMNP yesterday. 

• Deep Squat x 16
  • Deep Knee Bend to Tall Deep Knee Bend x 6 (Hold the tall stance for 10 seconds)
  • Deep Squat to Deep Half-kneeling (Alternate sides) x 16
  • Deep Squat to Medium Kneeling x 16
  • Deep Kneeling to Lateral Half-kneeling (Alternate side) x 16
  • Split Deep Knee Bend Reverse x 16

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

I went for a run this morning before getting into a day full of yardwork. The sky was overcast, and the wind was coming out of the south, which is usually how I prefer it. It was a really good run, and I went for 6 miles, though I felt like I could've done more. I could only do that much because of time constraints. However, it feels like I'm really starting to get my stride back, so I'm definitely looking forward to airing things out this fall. 

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

I finished the third week of the 4WMNP today while watching some football with the ally. I got to use my 15# backpack this time around. Today's movements weren't too bad, but the reps were high and that's where the strain came in. 

• Deep Squat x 20
  • Deep Knee Bend to Tall Deep Knee Bend x 8 (Hold the tall stance for 10 seconds)
  • Deep Squat to Deep Kneeling x 20
  • Deep Kneeling to Lateral Half-kneeling (Alternate sides) x 20
  • Deep Kneeling to Lateral Half-kneeling to Split Kneeling (Alternate sides) x 20
  • Split Deep Knee Bend Reverse x 20

The final week's movements are combinations of everything I've been doing so far. 

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

This week, I am in Atlanta staying in a place that has a very small gym but a gym nonetheless. I did 3 miles on the treadmill before giving it up to someone. But I will attempt to do more tomorrow morning. 

Also, I did this week's Assassin mini challenge which consisted of some core moves. 

AMSAP Plank: 53

AMRAP Leg Raise: 11

AMSAP Hollow Body Hold: 17

AMSAP Superman Hold + AMSAP Hollow Body Hold: 5x

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Back home so I once again on familiar roads. I went for a 4 mile run yesterday morning. Temps were in the high 30s and felt perfect for a run. 

• Like 2

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

I guess it's time to dust off the old battle log. I went out for a run today. It is unseasonably warm here in Indiana, so I took advantage of the beautiful day by knocking out a 7.5 mile run. My pace has slowed somewhat, but I'm still happy to see that I can still cover that distance in about an hour and half.

• Like 2

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

I went into the fitness center this morning around 6:45. There weren't a whole lot of people in, and it'd been a while since I'd been back. I wanted to get a quick run in before I left for the weekend on a camping trip. Not much, but I was able to pound out 2.5 miles, which puts me at 10 for the week.

BW: 197

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

The ally and I got up early this morning to vote and then went to the fitness center afterwards. She did some intervals on the treadmill while I started off with some work for the Assassin mini challenge. After that, I did some other bodyweight moves. It's definitely been a while since I'd done tricep dips, because the last "set" was broken up into a couple sets, but I did get 15 total.

AMRAP Box Jump: 19

AMRAP in 60sec Standing Broad Jump: 12

AMRAP in 60sec Tuck Jump: 19

Burpee: 1x10

Tricep Dip: 3x15 - BW

Plank: 3x30sec

I finished up by doing a few wall handstands. I focused on keeping my back straight and not letting it bow inward. I even tentatively put one leg more vertical to see how it felt. The feeling of my body's center of gravity shifting is interesting but one I think I could get used to.

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Went out for a 5.5 mile run today. It was pretty breezy on the way back, but I survived. I ran at a higher pace for the last half mile, which was a nice change though I was definitely feeling it by the end. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

I went into the fitness center this morning around 8:00. It was nice to get back to working on strength like I used to up until a few weeks ago.

Farmer's Walk: 1/2 mile - 25# kettlebell

Pistol Squat w/ TRX: 3x10

Tricep Dip: 3x15 - BW

Plank: 5x30sec

Burpee: 1x30

Farmer's Walk: 1/4 mile - 25# kettlebell

Those burpees were killer, but I wanted to do thirty of them since that is what you have to do anytime you miss an obstacle during a Spartan race. Might as well start training now. Also, there were a few Crow poses and wall handstands scattered throughout for good measure.

BW: 198

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

I went for a 4 mile run after work this evening. I wanted to go farther because the weather was just about perfect, but it was getting pretty dark so I turned back. I'm looking to get another run in on Friday because I have the day off. 

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Yesterday, I ran 4.5 miles. It would have been longer, but I got cut short by an impending thunderstorm. I will write a more complete explanation on my challenge thread.

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar