Jormungand: Battle Log

Made it into the fitness center at about 9:00 this morning. Not a whole lot of people. I don't know if the resolutions have already worn off or not.

Box Jump: 3x10

Bench Press: 3x8 - 150#

Kettlebell Swing: 3x15 - 25#

Tricep Dip: 3x10 - BW

I also went for a 1 mile run afterward again. I am really starting to like doing these after my workout.

• Like 2

Level 13 Human Assassin

Introduction Battle Log Current Challenge

Previous Challenges: I, II, III, IV, VVI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

I made it into the fitness center around 9:00 this morning. I almost considered turning around halfway through because of the weather. Winter has finally settled in here in Indiana, and there were some snow squalls going across the roads on my way in. I just said to hell with it since I'd already driven far enough that, by the time I had a suitable place to turn around, I'd nearly be to the gym. So, I stuck with it.

I am working on incorporating Bear Complexes into my workouts now. Today was a test. I know there are several different descriptions out there on how many to do, whether or not you should add weight as you go, etc. I decided to just keep it simple and do 95# to test it out.

It is a succession of power clean, front squat, push-press, back squat, push-press. Each sequence is done for five rounds, ideally for seven sets. I did three sets.

Bear Complex: 3 sets - 95#

1 mile run

• Like 2

Level 13 Human Assassin

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

Looking awesome Jormungand!

Excellent on the workouts and added rucking! Keep up the good work! :)

• Like 2

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

This morning, I got into the fitness center at 6:30.

Bench Press: 3x8 - 155#

Goblet Squat: 3x10 - 85#

Military Press: 3x10 - 25# dumbbell for each hand

Tricep DIp: 3x10 - BW

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Yesterday, I went for a 2 mile run. It felt good to get out even if it was a little cold and rainy.

Today, I did a 3.4 mile ruck. It was a small reprieve given that the rain had let up, but the wind was still ever-present.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Yesterday, I had to bite the bullet and go to the fitness center for some running...after work. Normally, I try to go in the morning when there is no glut of people on the resolutions kick. Not so much after 5:00. 

The parking lot was packed, and there were people everywhere. Everywhere. I was eventually able to squeeze in and go for a 2.5 mile run, though. Yeesh. I probably won't be back in in the afternoon for another 4-6 weeks. I hope people can reach their goals, I'm just not used to that amount of traffic. 

Today, I went in the morning. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

I know what I said earlier, but I braved the afternoon fitness center again to get a run in. I went in the afternoon so that my wife and I could go together. We even tried to go before 5:00 p.m. to beat the rush, but it was still packed with people. After a few laps around the track while watching the treadmills like a vulture, I was finally able to sneak in. I ended up running 2.75 miles. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

These updates are a few days late, but I wanted to get them in anyway.

Two days ago, I went for a 3 mile run. Outside conditions still aren't conducive for road running yet, but I guess I'd rather run on the treadmill than not run at all.

Yesterday, I got a strength training session in.

Dead Lift: 3x8 - 255#

Shoulder Press: 3x10 - 30#

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Got into the fitness center yesterday after work. It's still busy, but there were less people using the treadmills as there have been. I was able to get in and get out. I ran 2.8 miles. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Tonight I did my strength training but with an added twist. I had some representatives of the local fitness center (of which I am a member) come teach a bodyweight session as a program at our library. It's possible that it was the first of its kind here. I only had five people show up (including myself, my wife, an employee, and her son), but it's a start. I think everybody had a good time, including the instructors.

We did:

• Warm up (running in place, jumping jacks)
  • Squats
  • Push-ups
  • Mountain climbers
  • Side squats
  • Reverse lunges
  • Planks
  • Glute bridge
  • Stretching

The room that we did it in was particularly warm, and I got a good sweat on. I'd love to make this a regular thing, and maybe get some increased attendance down the road. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Real quick update tonight.

Yesterday, I ran 3 miles. Today, I ran 2 miles followed by some strength training.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

The weather was extremely nice for this time of year, so my wife and I took our dogs for an extended walk. I strapped on my 15# backpack, and we ended up going 2.7 miles all in all. There was a pretty stiff breeze coming out of the south, which would've been a noticeable hindrance to a bike ride (which is what I'd initially panned on doing). The walk was invigorating, and it did the dogs good to get out of the house and move for a few miles.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Yesterday, I tried to make the most of the warm weather. There was almost no wind, and the temperature was in the high-40s/low-50s when I got home from work. There was still time to get an outside run in (safely), and I got in a 4 mile run in the last light of the day. It felt really good to get back out on the road for a little bit after some wintering on the treadmill.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Yesterday, I went to the fitness center after work and, miraculously, I was able to find a corner to work in to do bear complexes. I was happy that I did one more set than I did the time before. It's weird (though I guess shouldn't be based on the type of exercises it incorporates) how my wrists are one of the first areas to start to burn. 

Bear Complex: 4 sets - 95#

1 mile run

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Today, I went to the fitness center at 5:45 a.m. for a quick run. I'd planned on going further, but I was pretty tired from the workout yesterday. Tomorrow will definitely be a rest day.

1 mile run

Farmer Walk: 1/2 mile - 25# kettlebell 

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

My wife and I made it into the fitness center at about 9:00 this morning after a breakfast of egg in a basket. She did bear complexes with me, which was a lot of fun. I think I'm getting a lot closer to being able to do the full seven sets. If I can do that, I might switch it up so that I will go up in weight incrementally.

Bear Complex: 5 sets - 95#

Inverted Kettlebell Press: 1x10  (each arm) - 15#; 2x10 - 20#

Box Jump: 3x15

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Yesterday, I made it into the fitness center right after work. I was busy as usual, but I was able to carve out a corner of the facility to work. I tried to do proper bear complexes so that I gradually go up in weight each set up to seven total. I was both pleased and disappointed: pleased that I was doing more weight by the end, but disappointed that I didn't get seven sets in. Something to work toward, I guess.

Bear Complex:

1st Set  - 85#

2nd Set - 90#

3rd Set  - 95#

4th Set. - 100#

5th Set. - 105#

6th Set  - DNF

Inverted Kettlebell Press: 3x10 - 20#

Tricep Dip: 3x11 - BW

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

I went for a late-morning run today. It has turned colder here in Indiana, and the west wind could only be described as bitter. I hadn't been out on the road much lately, and I didn't have a whole lot of time to get to the fitness center and back. I went for 2 miles, and it felt good to be back out in the elements.

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Woke up pretty early this morning. I slept really well and ended up at the fitness center right as they opened at 5:30 a.m. It is so much nicer having the place (almost) to myself.

Box Jump: 3x15

Bear Complex:

1st Set  - 85#

2nd Set - 90#

3rd Set  - 95#

4th Set  - 100#

5th Set  - 105#

6th Set  - DNF

In all honesty, I did 110# on that sixth set of bear complexes. I even made it all the way through the first four sets, and I was feeling really good, but then, on the last round, I fell short and didn't want to risk hurting myself at the very end of it. So, even though I got really close at the end, I am still counting it as a DNF to help motivate me for next time.

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Made it into the fitness center this morning around 9:00 a.m. My wife and I took a friend of ours who we convinced to go by offering to go out for breakfast afterwards. 

Bear Complex:

1st Set  - 85#

2nd Set - 90#

3rd Set  - 95#

4th Set  - 100#

5th Set  - 105#

6th Set  - 110#

Plate Push - 6 down and back - 45#

Tricep Dip: 3x11 - BW

It felt really good finishing that sixth set of the bear complex after how I close I got on the last one that I did. Now on to finishing out the whole complex with the full seven sets. 

(I've since realized that I was slightly off in my understanding of the bear complex in that it is only supposed to max at five sets. So, I'll just be adding more weight earlier on.)

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar