Jormungand: Battle Log

Yesterday, I went to the fitness center for some strength and cardio sessions.

Farmer Walk: 1/2 mile - 25# kettlebell

Goblet Squat: 3x10 - 85#

Shoulder Press: 3x10 - 30#

Tricep Dip: 3x11 - BW

1 mile run at 9:30 mpm

Level 13 Human Assassin

Introduction Battle Log Current Challenge

Previous Challenges: I, II, III, IV, VVI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

I made it into the fitness center around 7:00 a.m. I'm looking forward to a planned rest day tomorrow. 

Bear Complex:

1. 90#
  2. 95#
  3. 100#
  4. 105#
  5. 110#

Inverted Kettlebell Press: 3x10 - 20#

I will definitely be going up in weight the next time I do bear complexes. I'd like to experiment more also with some varying routines. While I like these an awful lot, I don't want them to be the only thing I work on. 

Level 13 Human Assassin

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

The fitness center was definitely my level of busy when I got in around 6:15 a.m. I realized while I was walking in that it won't be too much longer until I can start back running outside the hospital's campus. We're actually supposed to get up into the mid-60s this weekend, so I might try to schedule some outdoor cardio.

Bear Complex:

1. 95#
  2. 100#
  3. 105#
  4. 110#
  5. 115#

On that last set of bear complexes, I technically finished, though some may consider it could count as a DNF. I did get all five reps in during that last set, but I had a couple moments of doubt and ended up setting the bar down after my second group of reps were finished. I was telling myself that I wouldn't be able to finish the last set, but that I should be proud that I'd done more weight than I'd done before. However, a stronger, more rebellious part of me said that I should finish it anyway, regardless of the fact that I'd set the bar down. After going back and forth like this for about fifteen seconds, I said screw it and finished out the last three reps and am all the stronger for it. Now, I have something to shoot for next time by completing it without resting the bar. 

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

YAY FOR OUTDOOR CARDIO! :D Also, major congratulations for trampling your doubt and exceeding your expectations!

Thank you. It was one of those things that I was afraid I'd be thinking about for the rest of the day if I didn't make another attempt. I'm glad I finished it in broken up rep than not at all. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

My wife and I got to the fitness center around 6:00 a.m. and both got in some cardio sessions on the treadmill. I went for 2 miles at around ten minutes per mile.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Reminder for possible next challenge

Barbell landmine complex:

10 single arm press (5 per arm)

10 squats

10 single arm rows (5 per arm)

10 Romanian deadlifts

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

I went to the fitness center at 9:00 this morning. It wasn't a huge crowd, and I didn't have any trouble finding any room to work.

Bench Press: 3x8 - 155#

Landmine Complex (Heretofore known as the Claymore Complex): went through each circuit three times

• 10 single arm press (5 each arm) - 90#
  • 10 squats - 90#
  • 10 single arm rows (5 each arm) - 90#
  • 10 Romanian deadlift - 90#

Box Jump: 3x15

Plate Push: 5 down and back - 45#

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Yesterday, I made it into the fitness center by 6:15 p.m. I'd planned on doing some running and strength training, but the areas I'd intended to use were pretty full. However, the treadmills were open, so I ran 3.1 miles.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

It's about 40 degrees with a chilly wind, but I went for a 2 mile ruck this morning. I kept my pace up, and I ended up moving at a faster rate ovewrall than I had in the past.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Made it into the fitness center a little after 7:00 a.m. The wind and rain battering the windows almost kept me in bed, but then I remembered what it's like to try and find space for strength training in the afternoon. So, I threw on a hooded sweatshirt and got out there.

Kettlebell Swing: 3x15 - 25#

Claymore Complex: 3x

• 10 single arm press (5 each arm) - 90#
  • 10 squat - 90#
  • 10 single arm row (5 each arm) - 90#
  • 10 Romanian deadlift - 90#

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

I did some strength training yesterday after work. I'd intended to run, but the treadmills were full. It seems that any time I want to do a specific workout (be it strength or cardio), the opposite is usually free and clear. I guess I'll just live with it. I'm glad I did strength training, though. I felt great afterward.

Bear Complex:

1. 90#
  2. 95#
  3. 105#
  4. 110#
  5. 115#

Tricep Dip: 3x12 - BW

I started a little lower on the bear complex this go around due to my performance the last time. I did end up finishing at the same weight, and I did it all without resting the bar. Next time, I plan on starting at 95# and finishing all the way through. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

I went to the fitness center with my wife around 8:30 this morning.

Bench Press: 2x8 - 165#; 1x6 - 165#; 1x3 - 165#

• 10 single arm press - 95#
  • 10 squat - 95#
  • 10 single arm row - 95#
  • 10 Romanian deadlift - 95#

1 mile run

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

My wife and I went for a run after work. The weather was nice enough that we were able to run outside. It was a little windy but only on the first leg. Temps were in the high fifties, and we ended up doing about 2 miles.

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Got to the fitness center around 6:00 a.m. The parking lot was a little more crowded than I'd anticipated, which worried me somewhat. However, most of the crowd was using the cardio machines. 

Box Jump: 2x15; 1x20

Bear Complex:

1. 95#
  2. 100#
  3. 105#
  4. 110#
  5. 115#

Things went really well this morning. I was able to complete the bear complex fully, and I went up in my jumps due to this month's challenge. 

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

I went for a run outside today. There was a slight wind, but overall it was pretty pleasant. I dropped my wife off at a friend's house, and I was able to go a different route. I ended up going about 4.5 miles.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

I got into the fitness center at about 7:15 this morning. 

Box Jump: 3x17

• 10 squat - 95#

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Taking a rest day today, but I did take some measurements today that I wanted to record. 

• Forearm: 11.5"
  • Bicep: 12.75"
  • Chest: 39.5"
  • Stomach: 32.25"
  • Hips: 38.25"
  • Thigh: 23.5"
  • Calf: 16"

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

We went into the fitness center today around 9:30 a.m.

Bench Press: 2x8 - 165#; 1x7 - 165#

• 10 squat - 95#

Farmer Walk: 1/4 mile 35# plate each hand

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

It's supposed to rain later this week, so my wife and I took advantage of the warm weather by going on a 2.5 mile run. It felt really good to get out, and I'm really impressed with her C25K progression. We have a 5K this weekend, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

My wife and I went in to the fitness center at 7:00 a.m. I really enjoy going in in the morning. I like how it sets the tone for the rest of the day. 

Bear Complex:

1. 95#
  2. 100#
  3. 105#
  4. 115#
  5. 120# - DNF

I made an attempt to go up in weight for the bear complexes, and I thought it'd be easier to start moving up on the latter sets and work my way back. So, I moved up my final set weight to my penultimate set and bumped up my last set in weight. I figured that I would be able to fly through that fourth set, but I was struggling for some reason. It didn't help that on one of the reps I popped myself in the chin while going from a front squat to a chest press. I blame that on my rushing through the set and not paying attention to my form enough. I set the bar down and took a quick breather before finishing out the fourth set. Then, on the last set, I figured any amount would be good because I'd never done that high of weight yet. I ended up making it through three sets before quitting. I was noticing some slight strains in my back during the final reps, and that is an area that I have no desire to overly push. My next goal is to make it through the fourth set without resting. 

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Yeesh. I completely forgot to post my workout yesterday. I made it into the fitness center around 7:15 yesterday morning. 

Kettlebell Swing: 4x25 - 25#

• 10 squat - 95#

Plate Push: 6 down and back - 45#

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

It's pretty rainy here in Indiana, but they've promised some sun in the next couple of days. I made it into the fitness center a little after 6:00 this morning. I was a little worried about overdoing it because this will have been three strength training sessions in a row, but I'm working slightly different muscle groups, and everything ended up going well.

Bear Complex:

1. 95#
  2. 100#
  3. 105#
  4. 115#
  5. 120#

Tricep Dip: 3x13 - BW

Being very aware of how things went last Tuesday, I went into the bear complex with a healthy dose of wariness. I attempted to do the same weight structure as I did previously. This time, on the fourth set, I cruised through it, and it was all I could do to stop myself from giving the bar the finger when I set it down. I told myself, like the last time, that whatever I did on the final set would be acceptable, since I'd never done this much weight on four completed sets. But, right before I started my last set, I thought "What if I can do all five reps?" So I did. The feeling I got when I locked out for that final press was worth the effort. 

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar