Jormungand: Battle Log

I had to go to the fitness center after work yesterday. It was a little busy, but I was able to get my strength training in without too much hassle. 

Kettlebell Swing: 4x25 - 25#

Claymore Complex: 97.5#

• Single Arm Press - 3x10
  • Squat - 3x10
  • Single Arm Row - 3x10
  • Romanian Deadlift - 3x10

Inverted Kettlebell Press: 3x10 - 25#

Tricep Dip: 3x15 - BW

Renegade Row: 3x10 - 20#

BW: 200

My weight has been creeping back up, which seems to be an occurrence when I focus on long distance running. I plan on doing some checking on that when I finish the current challenge and mini-marathon. 

Level 13 Human Assassin

Introduction Battle Log Current Challenge

Previous Challenges: I, II, III, IV, VVI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

Yesterday, I tried out a workout I found on Darebee. I love all of workouts they offer. Most you can do at home with minimal equipment, and the titles and variations are awesome. I did three sets of the Night's Watch Workout

Lunge: 20x

Push-Up: 5x

Punch: 20x

Squat: 20x

Hook: 20x

Knee Strike: 20x

Uppercut: 20x

It was a lot of fun, and I really enjoyed the variety of doing some moves I don't typically do. I'm thinking about incorporating some of them into my next challenge. 

Level 13 Human Assassin

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

Today was sort of weird. I had to cover someone's shift tonight, so I ended up cutting out for a bit to get a workout in before heading back into work. 

Bench Press: (After Warm Up) 5x5 - 155#

Claymore Complex: 100#

• Squat - 3x10
  • Single Arm Row - 3x10

Inverted Kettlebell Press: 3x20 - 25#

BW: 198.5

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Yesterday, I wanted to focus on cardio, but I didn't want to overdo it with the upcoming race on Saturday. 

10 mile stationary bike

BW: 196

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

3 hours ago, Sevasan said:

In case I don't get on to say it before saturday......    Good luck with the race!!!!     :encouragement:   :triumphant:    *Insert "Rocky" Theme Music*

Thank you. I will need all the stair-running, sweatshirt-wearing momentum I can get. 

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Today, I went into the fitness center around 7:30 this morning. I didn't want to overdo it with the race coming up, I'm just trying to stay active leading up to it. 

Kettlebell Swing: 2x25 - 25#

Inverted Kettlebell Press: 3x20 - 25#

BW: 194.25

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Well, today was the day for the half marathon. Overall, it went really well. I was able to go through the whole race without walking. I had a lot of fun. It helped having a friend to run it with. I ended up running it with a time of 2:14. 

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

2 hours ago, Jormungand said:

Well, today was the day for the half marathon. Overall, it went really well. I was able to go through the whole race without walking. I had a lot of fun. It helped having a friend to run it with. I ended up running it with a time of 2:14. 

Dude congrats!  Very impressive!  Keep smashing!

• Like 1

All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.

Current Challenge

On 5/8/2016 at 9:12 PM, ORazor said:

Dude congrats!  Very impressive!  Keep smashing!

Thank you very much. I've gotten my official results, and it looks like my time was a bit longer than I'd initially thought and ended up being 2:26. Still, you will find no complaints coming from this direction. 

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

After two rest days, I went back to the fitness center at 7:30 this morning. Now, I just need to keep going with all of the run training I've already got behind me. Starting out slow to get back into things, I went for a 2 mile run just to get things moving.

BW: 199

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Got to the fitness center at 6:15 this morning. Pretty quiet, so I was able to work without waiting on anything or getting in anyone's way on the track.

Plate Push: 7 down and back - 45#

BW: 196

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Still enjoying the low mileage for the week after my race. If the weather ever cooperates (we've had so much rain these last few weeks in the Midwest), I will probably start the long runs next week. Right now, though, I'm just running low miles on the treadmill at the fitness center.

Today, I went in around 6:30 a.m. and did about 2.5 miles. 

BW: 195

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Pulling double duty today. I went back to the fitness center after work to do some strength training with my wife. 

Bench Press: (After Warm Up) 5x5 - 165#

Claymore Complex: 95#

• Squat - 3x10
  • Single Arm Row - 3x10

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Another simple run this morning. Just did 2 miles around 6:00 a.m. My wife went with me, as well. We are working on preparing for the Tough Mudder next week. First OCR of the season, and I'm getting pretty stoked. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

I went out for a 2 mile road run this morning. I tried to go at a quicker pace than I'm used to. I did this run in a little under 10:00 per mile. I'm working on starting back down on low mileage and then working my way back up at a faster pace than I'd originally been training at. Now that I know I can go those longer distances, I will be working on going those longer distances at a faster pace. 

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Went to the fitness center around 7:30 this morning. Trying to keep my workouts fairly even keel while gearing up for the Tough Mudder this weekend in Chicago. 

Box Jump: 3x20

Claymore Complex: 100#

• Squat - 3x10
  • Single Arm Row - 3x10

BW: 197.25

After finishing up, one of the trainers mentioned that he wishes we had heavier kettlebells to use, but the center's director hasn't sprung for any yet. I told him I'd love to see some but mightjust have to buy some myself and bring them from home. 

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

My wife and I went to the fitness center this morning around 6:30 for some cardio. I kept it to around 2 miles. I wanted to get a sweat on without overdoing it before the race tomorrow. I'll update after we finish. 

BW: 197.5

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Resident-Evil-4-decapitation-1.jpg

This represents me slaying that Tough Mudder today. Well, "slay" might not be entirely accurate. "Hacked" and "drudged" may be more appropriate. My wife and I went through in about four hours. It was an 11 mile course, and we got through (or at least attempted)  all of the obstacles. It was a lot of fun, as per usual. However, once we went through it once, I did end up going back through the course for a second running.  

See above on some of the verbs that applied to the second go-around. It was a slog at times, but I eventually made it all the way through. This was pretty eye opening in consideration for my overall training. There will definitely be some enhanced cardio sessions in the coming months. I was pretty pleased with my abilities to get over most of the obstacles, there will just need to be more focus on running those types of distances. 

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

I went in to the fitness center around 7:00 this morning. I'm still pretty sore from the Tough Mudder, so I didn't get into too much. I put a lot of focus on stretching and kettlebells today, including a new exercise that (while I'm sure has a name) I'm calling "Nine to Midnight." I laid down on a bench and held a kettlebell with one arm parallel with my torso. Then, I raised it up without bending my elbow so that my arm was not perpendicular to my torso. Then, I lowered it back down in the same fashion. I like the focus it puts on my grip as opposed to using a dumbbell because the majority of the weight is in front of my knuckles. 

Farmer's Walk: 1/4 mile - 25# kettlebells

Nine to Midnight: 3x10 - 10# kettlebell

BW: 201

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

No gym for the past couple of days, but there's been plenty of yard work. I guess this is the time of year where I should be factoring in that sort of thing. We have almost two acres. Yesterday, I weedeated weadate used a weed whacker for about an hour and a half. Today, I spent a good deal of time push mowing, and I got quite the sweat going. 

I need to be careful, though. I know in the past (before my 4WC life here at Nerd Fitness), I would disregard a lot of my formal training like strength and cardio during the summer months because I would tell myself that I'd get so much of a workout working in the yard. While there are definitely benefits to my fitness when I'm working outside during these summer months, I need to stay focused on my running and lifting, as well. 

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Got in yesterday morning right as the fitness center opened. I liked how my earlier workout went, so I put some more focus on using different kettlebell routines.

Farmer's Walk: 1/2 mile - 25# kettlebells

Nine to Midnight: 3x10 - 10# kettlebell

BW: 197.5

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Went for a run after work at the fitness center. It's basically looked like it could rain at any moment the last few days, so wife and I decided to just stick to the gym. It was pretty muggy in there, but I busted out a 3 mile run on the treadmill. By the time I was done, the display of the treadmill was pretty soggy. 

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Wife and I went to the fitness center around 8:00 this morning. It went really well, and I am happy with how things are progressing. I did my "Nine to Midnight" lifts a little different today; this time I went a past the straight up and down position and ended at about the 2:00 position if you can imagine it. It was slightly past my head. 

Bench Press: 5x5 - 170#

Dead Lift: 5x5 - 225#

Nine to Two: 3x10 - 10#

BW: 198

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Wife and I went for a 12 mile bike ride yesterday. The wind was pretty calm, so it made for an enjoyable ride. Hopefully, we can work in many more over the course of the summer. 

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar