And she's back! Huzzah!!!

Good plan, I'm pretty sure that exact thing has ruined more than a few of my previous challenges because I get sad about not putting up previous numbers in the gym. 

I read the first Hunger Games and watched the first movie, but that was as far as I got for either of them.  It reminded me a lot of a book called The Last of the Breed that I read when I was younger.  I'm tempted to go back and reread it, but I'm afraid it won't hold up and I've had too many of my childhood memories ruined by time.  

Huzzah!!! 

I could always post them in my battle log.... but I'm pretty lazy with the posting these days..soooo.. yeah... 

Oooh.  Here's what we'll do: I'll read it and let you know how amazing it is.  That way you ruin nothing, and if it sucks for any reason, I'll just lie to preserve your happy childhood memories. 

Because duh. 
anigif_enhanced-buzz-31707-1421989784-22

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

129593-I-like-your-style-dude-gif-Img-hr

Let me know if you want me to send you a copy of it, and I shall launch it from a cannon in your general direction, or mail it, whichever works better. 

OMG, Cannon, duh! 

Alright!  I am the girl on fire today!  Let's take a look at what I've done - 

Monday 11/23

Core - 1/3

Shoulder prehab vid - 1/1

Shoulder mobility - 1/3

Walk - 1/3

Strong start to this week! 

• Like 3

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

get it!!

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Aww yiss.

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

And she's back! Huzzah!!!

Good plan, I'm pretty sure that exact thing has ruined more than a few of my previous challenges because I get sad about not putting up previous numbers in the gym. 

I read the first Hunger Games and watched the first movie, but that was as far as I got for either of them.  It reminded me a lot of a book called The Last of the Breed that I read when I was younger.  I'm tempted to go back and reread it, but I'm afraid it won't hold up and I've had too many of my childhood memories ruined by time.  

Dude, it definitely holds up.

I just re-read it a couple of years ago.  While most of L'Amour's stuff is formulaic pulpy westerns, this book is amazing.  And it was definitely not written for a "youth" audience, unlike Hunger Games.

Hermy G: Come for teh awesome, stay for the book recommendations.

I'm glad you're alive! Woots all around!

Wootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwoot

Battle Log

"Either you take care of business and give yourself the best chance of survival (while accepting the inherent fuckedupitude and randomness of life), or you relinquish all hope entirely." -- Krista Scott-Dixon

Friend!!

Brain.fm is having a Black Friday sale! $25 lifetime. Get in there and use your seven freebies and see if you like it. Because, if, like me, you do, and you miss the sale, you'll stare at that $150 price tag in contempt.

This will likely be my only Black Friday purchase.

http://www.appsumo.com/black-friday-2015-preview/

Also, yay for your challenge! I think I have one of those. I wonder where I put it.....

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Last of the breed, eh? This girl just started wheel of time so i think I've a ways to go

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Hermy G: Come for teh awesome, stay for the book recommendations.

I'm glad you're alive! Woots all around!

Wootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwootwoot

Life goals right there!

Friend!!

Brain.fm is having a Black Friday sale! $25 lifetime. Get in there and use your seven freebies and see if you like it. Because, if, like me, you do, and you miss the sale, you'll stare at that $150 price tag in contempt.

This will likely be my only Black Friday purchase.

http://www.appsumo.com/black-friday-2015-preview/

Also, yay for your challenge! I think I have one of those. I wonder where I put it.....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I am sooooooooooooo sad I didn't check this :(  

Contempt is right. 

Last of the breed, eh? This girl just started wheel of time so i think I've a ways to go

I need to read wheel of time, too. 

So many things! 

Goal updates: 

core - 2/3

shoulder mobility - 3/3

pull aparts - 2/4

prehab vid - 1/1

walk - 3/3

yoga - 1/1

So, definitely better than the rest of the challenge has been but still room for improvement.  Onwards! 

ONWARDS! MOAR PULL-APARTS! YOUR SHOULDERS WILL THANK YOU!

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Yes!  AND! AND!  I checked out Kate Galliet per NL's FB post - game changer on my pull aparts (amongst other things).

Wheel of Time is good as basic fantasy goes.  The middle books can be a bit tough to get through (probably about book 5 or 6 to about 9), as I found them to have A LOT of exposition.  I love exposition, but it was a bit much even for me :)

Ohh pull aparts. I haven't tried those in a while... *adds to list*

I started Wheel of Time. Got through book 2, started book 3... wasn't impressed. But the bf loved it, so I guess it's worth a try?

Yes! Join me in my quest for the healthiest of shoulders! 

I had that issue with the Chaos Walking series, except I lost interest somewhere in book 2.  It was good, just not good enough to keep my attention. And a little on the long side...

Wheel of Time is good as basic fantasy goes.  The middle books can be a bit tough to get through (probably about book 5 or 6 to about 9), as I found them to have A LOT of exposition.  I love exposition, but it was a bit much even for me :)

Damn, that's a lot of books! Hmmmm 

Did some delicious shoulder and foot/ankle yogability (that's what I'm going to call my prehab/mobility based yoga).  My feet and ankles haven't felt this good in a long time. I thought it was going to be really basic - and it definitely had some basic moves - but the way she programmed them, plus a couple I hadn't done, really made a difference. 

Core - 1/3

Shoulder mob - 1/3

Walk - 1/3

Shoulder prehab - 0/1 <-- I decided doing this the evening before bench day is suboptimal. Granted, last week I got out of work really early on Tuesday (so hit the gym earlier than usual) but bench was pretty rough and my shoulders were tired. Not sure if it's connected or if it was just one of those days. We'll see, I guess. 

Pull aparts - 0/4 <-- setting timer to put extra band in my purse tonight so I can do pull aparts throughout the day at work. I WILL get my 4/4 this week, damnit. 

Yoga - 0/1 <-- I don't count last night's since it was done for a prehab purpose and not the "yoga" purpose (that's a thing in my head).  

• Like 1

I started Wheel of Time. Got through book 2, started book 3... wasn't impressed. But the bf loved it, so I guess it's worth a try?

Ha! I remember reading books 1 thru 5 or so ... I'd skip SO much and miss nothing. Pretty sure I stopped reading when a single book happened in one location and nothing happened to move the plot along.

Was at a Dragon Con panel about writing and someone said "Jordan cracked the Tolkien code (meaning High Fantasy) but when he put it back together you could see the seams." 

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38
Current Challenge #39 Strickland5 is looking for a Theme

Dude, it definitely holds up.

I just re-read it a couple of years ago.  While most of L'Amour's stuff is formulaic pulpy westerns, this book is amazing.  And it was definitely not written for a "youth" audience, unlike Hunger Games.

I was going to post the obligatory "did we just become best friends" meme, but at this point I'm pretty sure you're just the female Canadian version of me. 

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Oh man. Sorry about brain.fm. I should have broken my no social media pact to tell you.

If it helps, I still don't get anything out of the sleep one. The focus one I like, but classical music is similar for me. I do like the meditation one. But I love a million meditations. Not a terribly spent $25. But it's also not miraculous. I think there's a better fit for both of us.

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

I really like the sleep meditations for the Calm app. Just going to throw that out there. But I will admit, I got it when it was $9.99 for a year.

About a week after I did that, they made it $99 for a year or something crazy. It was a HUGE jump. Not sure if I'm going to renew or not [i think I have to decide in March]. They actually emailed an apology for the huge price hike without warning.

Goal: Deadlift a (Female) Wookie (100 kg): 65.8%

Ha! I remember reading books 1 thru 5 or so ... I'd skip SO much and miss nothing. Pretty sure I stopped reading when a single book happened in one location and nothing happened to move the plot along.

Was at a Dragon Con panel about writing and someone said "Jordan cracked the Tolkien code (meaning High Fantasy) but when he put it back together you could see the seams." 

Wow, good to know!  

I was going to post the obligatory "did we just become best friends" meme, but at this point I'm pretty sure you're just the female Canadian version of me. 

*blushes* Best compliment ever!!

Obviously why I <3 you both - duh! 

Oh man. Sorry about brain.fm. I should have broken my no social media pact to tell you.

If it helps, I still don't get anything out of the sleep one. The focus one I like, but classical music is similar for me. I do like the meditation one. But I love a million meditations. Not a terribly spent $25. But it's also not miraculous. I think there's a better fit for both of us.

Aww it's okay! Social media - bleh!  But you can text me! Or shoot me an email if you want to stay away from the social media. 

I'll keep my eyes peeled, too.  I'm sure there will be another one!  I wish headspace would do a sale :P 

Goals update! 

Core - 1/3

Walking - 2/3

Shoulder mobility - 2/3

Pull aparts - 1/4 <--- I didn't save the alarm I set and FORGOT my stupid band. So mad. 

Prehab vid - 0/1

Yoga - 0/1

I intended to do more core work at the gym last night but I was there forever so I didn't.  Tonight! 

Lifting and programming thoughts/advice requested - 

I've mentioned I'm really enjoying this 2 day lifting schedule - recovery is on point and the program is sufficiently challenging all while NOT allowing me to go freaking bananas and burn myself out. Additionally, it's forced me to really cut down to the basics/most beneficial to me accessory exercises, which is great. 

HOWEVER, the problem I have is that I'm only squatting once a week. And my body doesn't like it. I don't squat as well when I don't squat often. My problem is, I don't know that I can squat and deadlift on the same day (certainly not while I'm doing this program) and I'm hesitant to go back to 3 days of lifting for recovery purposes. AND deadlifts are my favorite so I don't want to give them up.  HM. 

Second question - I tried squatting with a belt last night and it was weird as hell.  Is it supposed to be weird as hell? I imagine I'll get used to it but any thoughts on high bar squatting with a belt?   I liked the bracing effect and let me focus more on getting a solid rack, which is nice, but I found it harder to get proper HB position.  That doesn't make sense to me because it seems like it would make it easier for me to get into HB than low bar with a belt on.... but also, maybe I was just having a weird squat day. I did keep hitting my legs with my elbows (not something that has ever happened to me before that I'm aware of). So yeah. Anyhow, it was weird. 

I have no advice about belting because I've only tried one once and found it REALLY weird and couldn't really figure out how to breath (which means I probably breathe wrong in the first place, huh?).

BUT, I completely agree about squatting 1x per week. Progress feels not great, the DOMS is terrible, and you don't get as much out of your legs as you could with more frequency. If you are going to stick with a twice a week program, add a squat variation on deadlift days -- maybe lighter pause squats, front squats, squats for reps?

Raptron, alot assassin

BUT, I completely agree about squatting 1x per week. Progress feels not great, the DOMS is terrible, and you don't get as much out of your legs as you could with more frequency. If you are going to stick with a twice a week program, add a squat variation on deadlift days -- maybe lighter pause squats, front squats, squats for reps?

Or even super duper light squats, like less than 50%, with higher (but not burn out crazy noodle legs higher) volume?

The trainer I worked with (who was great with the physio stuff) suggested accumulating five minutes in a deep squat throughout the day, and that helped me some with my overall squattiness too. Just hanging out in an ATG squat for a minute or however long every so often.

Battle Log

"Either you take care of business and give yourself the best chance of survival (while accepting the inherent fuckedupitude and randomness of life), or you relinquish all hope entirely." -- Krista Scott-Dixon

What about a light squat day on deadlift day?  Would that work?

Not on my current program since deadlifts are like... insanely rough (last week was 5x6 @ 80% - I thought I was going to die).  BUT theoretically, going forward I could program some lighter deadlifts and fit in lighter squats. I think. 

I have no advice about belting because I've only tried one once and found it REALLY weird and couldn't really figure out how to breath (which means I probably breathe wrong in the first place, huh?).

I'm glad I'm not alone! The breathing was the part I liked - I've been working on the valsalva maneuver and it helps a lot. Highly recommend!

Yes - the squatting 1x is just bleh.  I looked back through all my old programming and noticed anytime I did a program like this I had the same issue.  Adding a lighter squat variation seems to be the only real option if I want to keep it to 2x week.  When I finish this program I think I'll have to figure that out (much to my chagrin :P)  

And yes! my legs are so much happier with many squats.  Too bad my soul is happier with deadlifts.  

Or even super duper light squats, like less than 50%, with higher (but not burn out crazy noodle legs higher) volume?

The trainer I worked with (who was great with the physio stuff) suggested accumulating five minutes in a deep squat throughout the day, and that helped me some with my overall squattiness too. Just hanging out in an ATG squat for a minute or however long every so often.

That's not a bad idea either.  There is no such thing as too much mobility (having it, I mean, when you're not hypermobile - ohmuhgahsomanycaveats).  But I like that idea. I don't spend a lot of time doing that. at all. ever. anymore. #badlaura 

Goal updates! 

walking - 3/3

shoulder mob - 3/3

prehab vid - 0/1

core - 2/3

pull aparts - 1/4

yoga - 1/1 

• Like 1