Sparkit continues training

sparkit

Hello, as stated above, I will continue my training, which is basically following the startbodyweight.com progressions. I will mostly update in my daily log, but I have run into complications of schoolwork taking up a lot of my time, so I may not update as often as I would like. I'll try to update weekly with the workouts for the week, but no promises.

I practice Karate, as you will see this in my training, but I came to assassins because I, well, "want it all." Assassins sounded like the more logical choice for me as an individual. Last challenge, I realized I was confused about what I need to be doing. While I would like to lose weight, I also want to be stronger and it is difficult for me to do both at once. To simplify things (and so I don't starve) I will be focussing on strength. I already eat healthily, so it is difficult for me to modify my diet further. Additionally, I would prefer not to worry about food while I am trying to earn a ugrad degree. It creates too much stress.

My goals:

1. Do the bodyweight workouts 3x a week. The workouts will be listed in my daily log. Upon completion, +5 Brawn/Strength

2. Run at least twice a week, as listed in the daily log. Upon completion, +3 Willpower/Endurance, +2 Agility/Dexterity

3. Go to Karate practice twice a week. Upon completion, +2 Brawn/Strength

4. Hike or take a walk on off days (sat/sun). Upon completion, +2 Cunning/Wisdom

A note on my attributes: I prefer using the Star Wars rpg attributes because I am more familiar and it makes more sense to me. Also, the attribute points are for fun. The point is that I am improving my life.

Thank you for taking the time to read my forum, I look forward to this challenge.

- Sparkit

Level 2 Badass.

Brawn 3 | Agility 0 | Intellect 2 | Cunning 1 | Willpower 2 | Presence 2

Attribute Systems are arbitrary and this one makes sense to me.

Challenge 9/14 - 10/25 | Challenge 11/2 - 12/14 | Training Journal

Pull-up Progress: Percent of my weight I can do a pullup with

59%
59%

Workouts for this week:

Sat (Today): 2.6 mi hike

Sun: 2 mi walk

M: Karate

7/7/6 Assisted 1 Leg Squat (Ass 1LS)

7/7/6 Knee Raise (KR)

7/6/6 Elbows-in pushup (elbow push)

5/4/4 1 leg inverted row (1LR)

45/40/40 (sec) side plank, one each side (s plank)

6/6/5 28.5 kg assisted pullup (28PU)

5/5/4 diamond pike push-up (working toward a handstand pushup)

T: Karate, Run 1.5 mi

W: Karate

7/7/7 Ass 1LS

7/7/7 KR

6/6/5 1LDip

5/5/4 1LR

45/45/40 s plank

6/6/6 28 PU

5/5/5 pike

R: Karate, Run 1.5 mi

F:

8/7/7 Ass 1LS

8/7/7 KR

7/7/6 elbow push

5/5/5 1LR

45/45/45 s plank

7/6/6 28 PU

6/5/5 pike

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

Additionally, I planned out all my workouts for this challenge, but at the end of the challenge, I'll be going home for winter break. Break is about a month long and I want to use that time to work on agility since I won't have access to a pull up bar (and it'll be too cold to go use a tree branch and my parent's house is too old to use the doors - I'd be afraid of ripping them off their hinges!). 

Anyways, my question is if anybody knows of a solid agility program I can do for a month that incorporates foot speed?

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

Well, this was a really rough week. Schoolwork just exploded and I barely got all of it done. I unfortunately had to skip some important commitments for that to happen. If any fellow students/former students are out there, how do you handle/choose hw vs other things? 

I created a list when I started college to help me prioritize. It went like this: First I am a human being who needs to eat and sleep and stay healthy (not sick). 2. I am a student and I have work I need to get done so that I may have x gpa that keeps my scholarship. 3. I am an athlete who needs to improve her game/strength/agility. Often I find that I can do everything at the beginning of the semester but about halfway through, I can barely include my athletic schedule. I don't really think there's a ton more work, but I hate stalling my improvement for other things. I suppose I need to be grateful that I don't have to work a job during school and that I have time to even exercise, but I just feel frustrated that I can't always meet my goals because I don't have a rhythm because school does not allow for me to have one.  

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

I  know there are several Rebels who are also attending college.Hopefully some of them will chime in with suggestions.

My suggestion is to trim down your list of activities for fitness to bare bones. Pick one that is most important and aim to do that. Then pick the second most important, and  do that if you have time. Prioritizing it will give you a fall back when life gets super busy,which it will.

The cool thing about bodyweight stuff is it doesn't have to all be done in a chunk. When you are studying, set your timer for 45 minute intervals, when the timer goes off do  a set of pushups and squats. That will wake up your brain, and get the fitness in. When you wake up, do a set of push ups and lunges.  and then do another set before bed. If you think of it in as taking 5 minutes rather than having to block out 40 minutes, it will be easier to accomplish. Do you have a pull up bar where you live? If so , set it in a doorway, and just do a couple when you go by the door.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Elastigirl,

thank you for your reply. I have definitely been chopping off running when I don't have time. Right now my priority is karate so I can test in a couple weeks. Then it will be bodyweight. Unfortunately, I do not have a pullup bar or playground near me except at the school gym. These next couple weeks will be really crazy though so I think my priorities for the next weeks are 

week 11/22: 1. running 2. bodyweight 3. karate (no karate classes b/c of thanksgiving break and I'll be out of town so running is easier)

week 11/29 1. karate 2. bodyweight 3. running (school is back in session!)

week 12/6 1. bodyweight 2. karate 3. running ( this is karate test week and the last week of our karate classes before finals)

week 12/13 1. bodyweight  2. running  (exam week....definitely want to study)

thank you for helping me clarify my priorities!

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

This week's workouts:

Sat: 2 mile walk

Sun: hike, weather permitting. otherwise, walk

8/8/7 Ass 1LS

8/8/7 KR

6/6/6 1L Dip

6/5/5 1L row

50/45/45 s plank

7/7/6 28 kg ass pu

6/6/5 pike

T: short run, no time for anything else because I'll be on a plane

W: 

8/8/8 Ass 1LS

30/30/30 flutter kick (replace knee raise to adapt to what's available to me)

7/7/7 Elbow push

6/6/5 1L row

50/50/45 s plank

5/5/5 chair assisted pullup (no counterweight machine available)

7/6/6 pike

R: turkey trot! as far as I want to run. Probably also a walk since my family likes walking in the cold together. I know, just a smidge weird.

F:

4/4/4 balance assisted squat (http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/squat-progression.html)

30/30/30 flutter kick

7/6/6 1L dip

6/6/6 1L row

50/50/50 s plank

5/5/5 chair pu

7/6/6 pike

sat: probably a couple miles walk since I'll get back too late to hike

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%

exercised over the holiday (woo!) so here is my training for this next week:

5/4/4 Bal ass1ls

8/8/8 knee raise

8/7/7 elbow push

7/6/6 1l row

55/50/50 side plank

7/7/7 28 kg pu

7/7/6 pike

T: Karate, run > 1 mile

W: Karate

5/5/4 bal ass 1ls

4/4/4 hanging knee raise 

7/7/6 1l dip

7/7/6 1l row

55/55/50 side plank

7/7/7 28 kg pu

7/7/6 pike

R: Karate, run > 1 mile

F: 

5/5/5 ba 1ls

5/4/4 hkr

8/8/7 elbow push

7/7/7 1l row

55/55/55 side plank

8/8/7 28 kg pu

8/7/7 pike

Sat: hike

Sun: 2 mi walk

Once again, I am busy so this challenge will not involve a lot of me communicating with the other challengers, but I sincerely hope everybody's challenges are going well.

Level 2 Badass.

59%
59%