Any History Nerds Out There?

The Rangers are hosting an unofficial holiday mini if any of you guys are interested;

Help the Rangers Save Christmas: The Winter Break 2015 Mini-Challenge

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/75354-Help-the-Rangers-Save-Christmas%3A-The-Winter-Break-2015-Mini-Challenge

I studied a little early Christianity in uni, quite a fascinating time period. Never had the opportunity to study the rise of Islam though.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

I wasn't really into it in school; but would like to learn about it now. I'm just not sure where to start. My interest is in military history. Since my country of origin is the U.S., I guess I'll start with that. I also like biographies and want to incorporate them into my studies.

Can anyone help with book recommendations or other sources? It would be greatly appreciated. :)

• Like 1

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

I personally can not help with US military history. I suggest that you look check your local library for biographies and autobiographies of various US military leaders, and go from there.

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Can anyone help with book recommendations or other sources? It would be greatly appreciated. :)

If you are interested in the development of humanitarian law/the law of armed conflict, check out Gary Solis's book The Law of Armed Conflict.  Best. book. ever.  Seriously, I read it sometimes just for fun.  If you don't understand the development of LOAC, you won't understand post-WW2 military history.

It's designed to teach lawyers/law students the law, but it gives a great historical perspective and includes some really fascinating case studies.  Definitely don't pay full price, because it is primarily a legal text and is quite pricey, but if you can find a used copy for a decent price then get it!

• Like 1

One of my favorite ever history books is "The Longest Day," an extensively researched account of the D-day invasion. It is well worth reading if you're into military history.

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I have been reading about the Scottish Highlanders as part of my learning the Highland Broadsword, some interesting stuff there.

I love history and planned on getting a "double major in engineering and english with a minor in medieval history" when i went to Uni... then the Engineering department said "Welcome, we own you." Luckily, that same engineering department let me live in both Germany and Austria, so I got to interact with the places I'd only read the histories of growing up. 

Currently, I'm researching a lot of LDS (mormon) history. It's so different, having sources only a hundred or two years old! And some of that sh*t is crazy!

• Like 3

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

I realise this thread has been dead a little while but figured I'd ask here rather than start a new thread for a single line related question:

Can anyone recommend a good book on the history of Polynesia? Currently listening to Guns, Germs and Steel on Audible and it sounds fascinating in many ways and I realised I know almost nothing about it.

• Like 1

The valiant never taste of death but once.

Battle Log:

100 Day Bench Press Challenge (64 Days)

Challenge: 1, 2

Estrix, level 1 Goblin Raider

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

I realise this thread has been dead a little while but figured I'd ask here rather than start a new thread for a single line related question:

Can anyone recommend a good book on the history of Polynesia? Currently listening to Guns, Germs and Steel on Audible and it sounds fascinating in many ways and I realised I know almost nothing about it.

I was gonna recommend that exact book

Lvl 1: Adventurer with monk ambitions

Current weight: 123,3 KG.   Target weight: 85KG

Ooh, ooh! History nerd here!

Degree in Archaeology and a degree in ancient history and classics.

Have a particular love for the near east and Aegean bronze age and the "Dark Ages" (500-1100).

However, I have recently discovered I may be a closet Japanophile and have been looking into Japanese history. Problem is I don't really know where to start. I have no knowledge of the geography, time periods/timeline or any of even the important primary sources. Anyone know any good intro level books on Japanese history?

Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

-Miyamoto Musashi

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/83906-kvedulfs-second-challenge-first-steps-on-a-new-way/

On 05.05.2016. at 10:20 PM, Rab397 said:

I was gonna recommend that exact book

On 04.05.2016. at 11:17 PM, Estrix said:

No useful help from me, just hopping on the wagon - it's a great book! :D

• Like 1

STR: 2 / DEX: 2 / STA: 3 / CON: 2 / WIS: 3 / CHA: 3

PanHEMAphiliac.

Although I've been all up in history's grill for a long time, I'm a bit of a budding Victorian nerd. I've been listening to Victorian Britain from the Great Courses on Audible. Also try to catch any documentary. Just finished a fun one called "Hidden Killers of the Victorian Home." All the rules and the inventions and discoveries are really quite fascinating. And the amount of influence it had on modern Western culture to this day is both amazing and sad. I'm particularly interested in the obsession and rules governing death. So if you know of any books or other media about it, please give a holler. :) 

• Like 1

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for."

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

Previous Challenges: 1 ~ Current Challenge

I got a minor in History... I always have wanted to go back and get another BA in it and write a thesis.  I'm mostly interested in the history of science.  Other history interests me in passing, but I could read and talk about the history of science forever :]

• Like 3

Historian feels condemned to repeat it and repeat it while being summarily ignored by those who prefer to reenact it.  In real time.  >.<

• Like 2

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

The version I heard was those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Whilst those who study history are doomed to watch others repeat it.

• Like 2

I'm TERRIBLE at memorizing history. But I am a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism, so I am learning history whether I intended to or not by "researching and re-creating the arts and skills of pre-17th-century Europe". 

I'm into cooking so I've picked up some booked on medieval cooking in various regions and I picked a 14th century Italian person, which I'm also trying to learn about. So far I've main learned about clothing, naturally, but working on other areas of knowledge. 

• Like 1

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }