Brian Hicks is gonna touch his toes... eventually

brianhicks

Main Quest

Improve flexibility to the point where I can touch my toes. This is going to be 2/3 moving around, and 1/3 eating better to support my body to do that.

Quest 1

Do a session of yoga every day. Currently I maybe stretch briefly when I get up in the mornings. I'm doing the NF yoga thing, I'd like to get to Fire Series - B by the time the challenge is over (but honestly, I'm not sure how feasible that actually is.) I'm going to take this slowly so as not to injure myself.

Grading:

- A: 28 sessions (+3 DEX)

- B: 23 sessions (+2 DEX)

- C: 18 sessions (+1 DEX)

Quest 2

Make it to Bree in my Walk to Mordor challenge. I'm already ~50 miles in, so this means walking about 90 miles more in the next 6 weeks. I'm on pace to barely hit that, so I've gotta keep at it.

Grading:

- A: Hit the goal, 135 miles total (+3 STA)

- B: Get to Tom Bombadil's house at 98 miles (+2 STA)

- C: Get to Old Man Willow at 70 miles (+1 STA)

Quest 3

Stop eating carbs for breakfast, most days. I currently eat donuts, cereal, bagels, etc. I'd like to transition to eating primarily protein and veggies. Maybe smoothies! At the same time, I realize that transitioning from 99% carbs to 0% carbs is gonna be pretty challenging (plus Thanksgiving, the king of carby holidays, falls during this challenge), so I've set the grading accordingly. Feedback appreciated.

Grading:

- A: 6 breakfasts each week without carbs (+3 CON)

- B: 5 breakfasts each week without carbs (+2 CON)

- C: 4 breakfasts each week without carbs (+1 CON)

Anything lower and I will have to reckon that I've failed at this and break it down further and more crunchy goals for the next challenge. Again, feedback is appreciated here.

Life quest

I feel stressed out quite often, and I'm going to try and meditate more. Ideally, every day.

Grading:

- A: 28 10 minute sessions (+3 WIS)

- B: 23 10 minute sessions (+2 WIS)

- C: 18 10 minute sessions (+1 WIS)

Motivation

I used to work out in the gym, lifting heavy things. Then a chronic knee injury rose up and bit me. The doctors say that I need to improve my flexibility so that it doesn't happen again. Living with less pain is really great, too.

• Like 4

Level 1, AWRIGHT

Rodian Novice Assassin (character sheet)

Current Challenge (2 1)

The best advice I got for writing up my challenge was to allow room for setbacks. Changing habits is the very hardest thing to do; I don't know anything about you outside of your post, so there's no way I can comment about your level of discipline when it comes to diet changes. If you doubt the sustainability, change the goals. 

Good luck!

Update!

Last week I yoga'd once, then it was really cold and I hadn't set out my mat, so I lost motivation. Last night I laid the mat out with the videos queued up on a tablet, and that was enough boost to get me to go down to the basement and do it. So that's 2/28 sessions done.

In the last week I walked 7.92 miles. That means that for the rest of the time I'm doing this I'm going to have to walk 2.54 miles a day. I'm feeling a little bit discouraged about it, but if it wasn't hard it wouldn't be a proper challenge.

I've dropped the dietary challenge (crossed out in my original post.) It was not well thought out. I'll try something similar for the next challenge, but it needs to be a much more specific goal.

And... meditation? What's that?

So, slow start to my goals, hopefully I can keep picking it up.

• Like 1

Level 1, AWRIGHT

Current Challenge (2 1)

Alrighty, today's update... I think I'm going to have to start updating every day, just to motivate myself to keep up with this.

- Didn't stretch at all yesterday, and started today off by getting distracted by email on my phone instead. There's a roadblock there! I've stopped using my phone as an alarm so I don't have to look at it until later in the morning, but today… well, just a moment of weakness. Better tomorrow! And I've already made plans to do my yoga at lunch instead. :D

- Yesterday it was raining in the midwest. Now, I love rain: wet air, warm tea, soft pitter patter to nap to. But it meant that yesterday I walked about a tenth of a mile. I'm going to try and do a couple laps around the neighborhood to get back on the wagon today.

SO. That's that. Now off to accomplish some goals. :D

• Like 1

Level 1, AWRIGHT

Current Challenge (2 1)

Yesterday finished with me having walked 3.7 miles. At lunch I decided I was just gonna walk a bunch, put a podcast on (my current choice: working through the backlog of Campaign), and went around the neighborhood circuit 3-and-a-quarter times (went out to the conduit street in the neighborhood on one loop.)

So that meant yesterday I finished the day pretty sore, but today my legs actually feel great and responded really well to my yoga.

Feeling really good about everything right now :D

Edit to avoid double post: Amy Hoy and Alex Hillman (my fav business people/coaches) talk about a "Fuck This" moment where you become dissatisfied with the status quo and really motivated to change things. I'm pretty sure I had one of those yesterday, which is why I made such good progress. Hopefully I can keep it up.

• Like 1

Level 1, AWRIGHT

Current Challenge (2 1)

Hi Brian! I dig your quests - touching the toes is a most worthy goal. My husband went through a similar situation - injuries from sport and a recommendation from the doc to work on flexibility. So he started to go to yoga 3x/week, and before long (I swear it happened so fast) he could touch his toes and do all kinds of other things he used to think were totally out of reach. How do you like NF yoga? I'm curious about it since I do a lot of yoga at home but I'm kinda over the videos I've been watching (yogayak.com). Low-carb breakfasts are so hard - except for eggs & bacon. I eat a lot of oatmeal but started supplementing with a protein shake or an egg, which really helped my energy and hunger levels in the morning.

Great job so far, keep going!

• Like 1

Level 2 Gnome Ranger

STR 1.25 | DEX 0.5 | STA 2 | CON 2.75 | WIS 2.5 | CHA 2

Challenge #1

"Those dark cliffs looming ahead – that is the height of your achievement." - Bruce Sterling