Here be SaltyDragon's

SaltyDragon

I enjoy your storytelling flair. Congrats on keeping up with your goals. When I first read them I was thinking you were going to try to run 60 miles in one blow. The thought made my legs ache just thinking about it.

I'm a bit envious of your desk. I cleared mine yesterday for my daughter to use. The empty desk was a beautiful sight. Then as soon as she was done, the white surface was once again hidden beneath a trove of treasures disguised as work. I love orderliness, but find in some areas it is an endless battle.

Keep up the good work.

Druid - Assassin - Adventurer Level 18

Challenges: [Current
[18} [17] [16] [15] [14] [13] [12] [11] [10] [9] [8] [7] [6] [5] [4] [3] [ 2 ] [ 1 ]

I enjoy your storytelling flair. Congrats on keeping up with your goals. When I first read them I was thinking you were going to try to run 60 miles in one blow. The thought made my legs ache just thinking about it.

I'm a bit envious of your desk. I cleared mine yesterday for my daughter to use. The empty desk was a beautiful sight. Then as soon as she was done, the white surface was once again hidden beneath a trove of treasures disguised as work. I love orderliness, but find in some areas it is an endless battle.

Keep up the good work.

Hmmm, 60 miles in one go... I think you've just given me my L12 goal!

I must say, the desk does not still look so good – I do work upon it, after all – but it remains much better than it was!

Thank ye for stopping by!

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

Ah, the beauty of the clean desk. Fewer things are more pleasing than sitting down to a well-organized work station. True, something always comes along to leave a trail of detritus in its wake, but that's the way of things. The battle against entropy is never ending, but it's a battle worth waging.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

Introduction Battle Log Current Challenge

Previous Challenges: I, II, III, IV, VVI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

Aye, let's get down to business, shall we?

I finally had the time, and a clear weather window, to make some good miles – statute miles, of course, not the nautical variety. (Speakin' of, does ye know why a nautical mile is longer than a land lubber mile? It's because ye has to go up and down over all them waves, ha harrr!).

Anyhow, that's 5.26 miles for Friday, and 8.28 miles on Saturday makes another 13.54 miles for the weekend.

Also another 75 sit-ups, too.

With this, I am pleased to say that I am 50% or over on all my quests now. This is good news – since I started a week late, it means I'm on track, maybe even a little ahead.

That's a good position to be in right now, because this next week is going to bring some added challenges, as I'm sure it will for many of you. Work will be chaotic, and on Tuesday we swim with the fishes! Well, OK, scuba in the aquarium, which I've never done before...but surely there will be fishes! (Actually, I'm imagining hand-feeding the sharks, so I'll be thoroughly disappointed if that does not happen). I thought about getting smart and counting that as a swim, but I've since come to me senses.

Wednesday is a half day of work, followed by a bit of travel. Thursday, I am running in a race – that will count, so that's good.

And then, after that, I'll be hosting a very special warrior princess from a far-away shore...lucky me! She'll be here until that Monday. We plan on being lazy, but also running together some – so I'll still have good mileage for the week, but I don't know how I'll fare with the other quests.

cat-resized.gif

And so we shall see. ;-)

• Like 1

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

Running today, in the rain again. At least it had the kindness to wait 'till I was a half mile down the road to start.

4.0 miles, nice steady pace, little walking at the end...all that water weight, ye know.

• Like 1

Level 11 Sea Dragon

Avast, 'tis been a week already! Time for an update, indeed! And with it, the good news and the bad.

The good news it that I have made mad progress on my goal of running... and the bad is that I am wounded in the process :-(

Really, it's not so bad. There was one bad-ass hill on my race last Thursday (5.2 mi, 45':41, 8':47/mi, thank you) that tweaked my achilles a bit. Subsequent trail running on Sat (3.0 mi) and Sun (5.95 mi) turned most unpleasant – O, the dangers of pushing youself too far, too fast. I am lay'd up for a few days to recover.

The good news after the bad is that it is likely not serious, and I am feeling much better already. I have less than 10 miles to go to reach my final goal, which I can easily do in two weeks, even taking it easy. About that, I feel good.

I also got in 50 sit-ups over the long weekend (plus some bonus peer-pressure crunches), so I am still on track with that goal, as well.

Swimming, well, not so much. I may not make that one – I leave town on Sunday for the remainder of the challenge, and can't count on finding a pool. Aye, I'll do what I can, and I won't feel too bad if it doesn't work out.

Level 11 Sea Dragon

I wish you a speedy recovery. At least you suffered the injury while being active, as opposed to injuring something like your rotator cuff while reaching for the candy bars in the very back of the cabinet. Good luck for these last couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

Well, mateys, I'm still making headway, albeit a little more slowly.

I went for a run yesterday, the first since last sunday. It wasn't terrible, but it didn't feel good, either. I took 'er easy and ran for only about 20 min, with a bit of walking at the end, for 2.4 miles. I'm still really close to the goal on this one, so I've no doubts that I'll make it. It's certainly frustrating to have to slow down, now, though. If the weather isn't too cursed tomorrow, I plan to try again.

Nothin' be stoppin' me from them sit-ups, though, yo ho! Tack on another 100 since the last update. With only 75 to go, maybe I'll just go all badass and slap 'em all out tomorrow, too. Why not?

Unfortunately, the swimming goal looks like it's gonna be a write-off at 50%. The public pool in town advertises lap-swim times, but then they only make two lanes available. There's usually six or seven people who show up, and trying to "circle swim" with that many people of mixed abilities just is not an enjoyable experience, and isn't worth the price of admission for me. I even tried the pool in the next town over two days ago, and they didn't even keep to their posted schedule, closing for a private function during lap swim times. These are my only options here. I sure miss Honolulu (poor me, I know), but I could use any of the Navy pools – where there were always ample lanes during lap swim – or, of course, just swim in the ocean. Aye, to be so spoiled again!

Anyway, starting Sunday, I'm travelling for the remainder of the challenge. Running and sit-ups I can do anywhere, but not so with swimming. I won't have a car, so the odds of finding a pool seem slim to none. Lesson learned, I guess.

-

CUcezWnWsAQYlbk.jpg

[seemingly random cat pic to boost our tapering morale]

Level 11 Sea Dragon

I wish you a speedy recovery. At least you suffered the injury while being active, as opposed to injuring something like your rotator cuff while reaching for the candy bars in the very back of the cabinet. Good luck for these last couple of weeks.

Alas, 'tis why I keeps me candy in the desk drawer!

• Like 1

Level 11 Sea Dragon

Alas mateys, the end is near! And perhaps this shall be my final update before we wrap this thing up.

This week, I find myself on the opposite coast, living out of a hotel surrounded by a hell of un-vegetarian-friendly chain restaurants. And that's not the good news!

I completed my 600th sit-up on Sunday while waiting to embark on my travels. There was much rejoycing. Sunday was also my last day to run this week. I did 4.8 miles, which I knew was close-ish to my goal, but after updating my totals I learned I was only eight tenths of a mile shy of my 60 mile goal (gotta love spreadsheets B) ). Closer than I thought! So, I've been resting me legs and takin 'er easy all week so far, and feeling better for it. Needless to say, I will finish this one as well, probably on Saturday.

Perhaps the best news, though, is that the hotel has an indoor pool – and maybe that swimming goal is back on the table, after all! I finished a session after work, today. It's tiny, of course, so no way it really passes as proper lap swim, and I had to consider whether to count it or not. But it seems to me that the reason for incorporating the goal in the first place was to get myself doing something that I wasn't before, and to work to overcome the challenges that come with that. I think that's exactly what I've done, so I says it totally counts!

Ye can taste it, it's so close! One more swim, and less than one mile more to run, and we will commit this challenge to the inky depths for good – and start preparin' for tha next one!

• Like 1

Level 11 Sea Dragon

Even though the water smelled (and tasted) pretty funny, I managed a good 20 min in the pool today, and with that...

ALL GOALS COMPLETE! I feel good about that, and I just feel good, too.

I'll post a detailed wrap-up tomorrow, with much detail about all I have learned and discovered, and I look forward to reading about everyone else's triumphs and struggles, as well.

• Like 1

Level 11 Sea Dragon

That is awesome that you were able to complete all your goals. Well done with sticking it out and not giving up. I'm looking forward to reading your wrap-up post. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Lo! The dreaded shrieking serpent appears, seeking flesh and striking fear into all those who lay eyes upon him...

dragonkitty.jpg

...err, maybe not. Anyway....

As I wrap up my first challenge, the first thing I'd like to do is to thank all of you who I have had the pleasure to interact with along the way. Your kind words, encouragement and humor have really been what's made the whole experience so enjoyable. If I have posted on your threads as well, – and I hope I have – then I hope I have made an impact on you as well.

My first goal was to log 60 miles running by the end of the challenge, which I started late – so about five weeks. This was the most meaningful goal to me, as my abilities were finally advancing to the point where I was actually beginning to think of myself as "a runner."

I only started running about six years ago  – so in my late- mid- thirties – and I felt for several years that I just wasn't seeing much improvement. Sure, there was some, but I wasn't ever really satisfied. I stuck it out and didn't quit, but I was also never really motivated enough to push myself as hard as I probably could have.

Then three years ago, I took the job I have now working on a scientific research vessel. I spend over 200 days a year at sea on a rather small (and really ugly) ship with nowhere to run, in weather you wouldn't want to go outside in anyway. Time in port is spent in Alaska, Oregon and Washington where the weather still is not often ideal. I have pictures of my bike with a frozen water bottle as proof. But at least I have a bike, and warm clothes to run and ride in – I'm learning to make the best of it.

For the most part, though, I didn't get much running in last year. Then in September, I met someone I thought of as a serious "runner," and I was inspired. When our field season ended in October, I traveled to Texas to visit some family, and I began running again. Pushing myself a little harder this time, I started to improve like I hadn't experienced before. This, in turn, motivated me more.

Anyway, if you aren't skipping over all of this yet, the point of my story is to share my experience and relate what a difference motivation makes. Though I was in a good place when I joined the forum and this challenge, the coming months will be difficult for me for all the reasons I described above, and I am hoping that I can use the forum to give me that extra little nudge that I will need to keep going when I'm back at sea with far fewer options.

I set the goal of 60 miles because I knew I could do it, and I planned to already. I was not expecting the trouble with injuries along the way, but I worked through it, and learned some valuable lessons about limitations and how to know when hard is too hard.

In the end, I was super pleased to make the goal. I am just as pleased with my other running accomplishments, like, since October 8, I have logged 127 miles running. And all year, I have logged miles in nine different states (two weeks left...hmmm, can I make it ten?). I also finished my first race with, for me, respectable numbers. I am super proud of all these accomplishments.

[footnote: I track these things using the Runkeeper app. PM me if you do, too and would like to connect.]

My second goal was to perform 600 sit-ups by the end of the six weeks. I chose this because I thought it would be easy to achieve, and I hoped it would encourage me to incorporate more activities into my routine – I tend to get single-tracked easily. Both of these proved true.

I approached this one by telling myself that, if I was going to be doing the sit-ups anyway, I might as well do this other thing, and that other thing too, while I'm at it. I'm getting sweaty anyway, right? So I wasn't just doing sit-ups, but also push-ups, resistance band routines and even a little yoga, too.

I have definitely seen and felt improvenents from this one. I mean, I'm still a little more pudding-pack than six-pack, but I can tell a real difference from when I started. You know, we've all heard those people who tell you how they're "addicted" to working out. I'm not saying I'm on quite the same page, but I am feeling addicted to results that I can see. If that's making me want to work out more, then I'll take it!

From this challenge, I learned about setting reasonable goals, and about getting motivated to focus on more than one thing at a time. I am proud to say that I have continued this routine beyond reaching the goal a week ago.

The final challenge was to swim four times. I chose this one for reasons similar to those for the sit-ups, and also because I knew I needed to do it more – I need to maintain a certain proficiency in the pool as a member of the scuba team at work. This goal proved challenging not physically, but logistically. Somewhat by luck, I pulled it out in the end.

From this challenge, I learned about staying flexible and always looking for creative solutions.

....And to think I wasn't sure how to begin writing this summary. Hey, thanks for reading it this far!

Finally, in a last but not-at-all least sort of way, I gotta say thanks to the fellow forum member who introduced me to this place. In a short time, you've been a big inspiration. Thank you.

4dfb7b74613abb45e617c21d38f70dbb.gif

Onward we go from here. I haven't decided yet with which guild I will join up, but I know I will be back. I hope that I will continue to see all of you, and we can encourage each other on our journeys.

• Like 2

Level 11 Sea Dragon

Congratulations on meeting your goals and learning about how they work for you!

Onwards and upwards!

• Like 1

Level 6 Ranger

Current Challenge - Scrubs!

Previous Challenges - Theme-Free LazinessMedieval MarginaliaBrandon Sanderson's Way of Kings Theme - AgainWay of Kings 1Top Gear ThemeStargate SG:1 themeIron Druid theme!

2016 Battle Log (Long term goal tracking)

AMAZING JOB. Depending on the sea (and the ship, for that matter) you're in, working out can prove to be a challenge. I mean, the Arabian Gulf is like glass but sitting on the rowing machine in North Atlantic felt like like I was navigating the perfect storm in a dinghy. One memorable time I smacked my noggin on the over head while on the treadmill. Anyway, it's awesome to see that you're using your shore time wisely and even better that you're really enjoying your efforts. :-) Well done during the last five weeks!!

captain-cat-sparrow_c_1748045.jpg

• Like 1