strength and injury prevention for runners?

Hello runners!  What type of strength work do you do to complement your running and to prevent injury?  Obviously squats/lunges are great to build leg strength.  I know developing your core muscles is really important too-- what's the best way to do this with a compound movement?

My knees often feel... wobbly... after running, and I'm afraid one day they won't hold up enough for me to keep jogging.  What exercises do you recommend to strengthen muscles around the knee, so that doesn't happen?  I have good shoes from a running store and no arch problems.

bodyweight / no equipment exercises are best. :-)  Thank you for any knowledge you can share!

Jess the Adventurer

"jess!" on MYZONE * Goodreads

I do squats, lunges, drinking birds, twisting lunges, balance exercises,  core routines and then general dumbbell and bodyweight strength training. There are a lot of other things I do for running injury prevention. I run strides, wear multiple different pairs of shoes, change running surfaces, do dynamic warmups and cooldowns.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Injury Prevention For Runners program from Jason Fitzgerald at Strengthrunning.com. Jason is a fantastic running coach, runs a 2:39 marathon, is the Camp Nerdfitness running coach and a personal friend of Steve's(who Steve told me to take running advice from over himself). I paid 50 bucks for his program and think it's some of the best money I've ever spent. I've also done his 30 day boot camp and own one of his books. 

Even if you don't want to spend the money, check out his blog and get on his email list. Lot of free advice comes from him.

• Like 3

Hey. I've got a blog!! ----> The Dilnad Can!

This is how I did it. This is how you too can do it! ----> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/09/28/learn-how-an-office-worker-lost-100-lbs-saved-his-own-life-and-became-a-superhero/

I do squats, lunges, drinking birds, twisting lunges, balance exercises,  core routines and then general dumbbell and bodyweight strength training. There are a lot of other things I do for running injury prevention. I run strides, wear multiple different pairs of shoes, change running surfaces, do dynamic warmups and cooldowns.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Injury Prevention For Runners program from Jason Fitzgerald at Strengthrunning.com. Jason is a fantastic running coach, runs a 2:39 marathon, is the Camp Nerdfitness running coach and a personal friend of Steve's(who Steve told me to take running advice from over himself). I paid 50 bucks for his program and think it's some of the best money I've ever spent. I've also done his 30 day boot camp and own one of his books. 

Even if you don't want to spend the money, check out his blog and get on his email list. Lot of free advice comes from him.

Thaqnks so much!  I will look into that.

Jess the Adventurer

"jess!" on MYZONE * Goodreads

More or less, I follow this program.  It emphasizes a lot of back and chest work to hold form for long runs, but for your knees the lunges, squats, and step ups are doing most work.  There are dumbbell variation of all of them.  I also like doing sissy squats, but I don't know if that's particularly good for your knees.

My Battle Log 

I'm on Strava for my running now.

Check out Kick! too.  You unlock gear with your progress on Strava.

I checked out the Strengthrunning program, and it looks pretty solid. Most of it is stuff I'm doing already, with some physical therapy stuff (band walks) mixed in, too. Can't wait for the trails around here to dry out and get me off the pavement!

I'm in a crappy spot right now. I was running well until a few months ago, then when through a whole regression where the distance I could run without knee pain got shorter and shorter. I'm back in more supportive shoes now and hitting the physio stuff harder, but it still sucks like it did when I developed runners knee 5+ years ago. The good news is that, aside from running, I'm still able to lift/hike/crossfit as usual. 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

I checked out the Strengthrunning program, and it looks pretty solid. Most of it is stuff I'm doing already, with some physical therapy stuff (band walks) mixed in, too. Can't wait for the trails around here to dry out and get me off the pavement!

I'm in a crappy spot right now. I was running well until a few months ago, then when through a whole regression where the distance I could run without knee pain got shorter and shorter. I'm back in more supportive shoes now and hitting the physio stuff harder, but it still sucks like it did when I developed runners knee 5+ years ago. The good news is that, aside from running, I'm still able to lift/hike/crossfit as usual. 

Wish I felt that way. Running is my world. I strength train but I do it to support my running. When i can't run (Like this past 2 weeks due to ITBS), it throws my whole world off. It's even worse when outdoor cycling is out due to the weather. UGH LOL

Hey. I've got a blog!! ----> The Dilnad Can!

This is how I did it. This is how you too can do it! ----> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/09/28/learn-how-an-office-worker-lost-100-lbs-saved-his-own-life-and-became-a-superhero/