Super Mario Assassin All-Stars: LEVEL 3

Anim07734

LEVEL 3: HAUNTED HOUSE!

giphy.gif

Welcome to level three of Assassin Super Mario World!  There seems to be a big haunted mansion in our way.... looks like we'll have to get through it before we can continue.  Fortunately, we're not afraid of no ghosts!  Even if we should be..... at least a little.  You can't stomp on a ghost or throw a shell at it... pretty much all  you can do is RUN AWAY!

HOW TO PLAY:

tumblr_mhvfsoqUYg1r9cjqxo1_500.gif

• In order to complete this level, each Assassin will need to complete 300 seconds of sprinting.  A sprint should involve running close to or at your max speed for a brief spurt of time.  In other words, if you can do all 300 seconds in a row at a speed, that speed is probably too low.  It is expected that all participants will aim to give their max effort and that these will be completed over several sessions.
  • If you have an injury that means you cannot run safely OR if you prefer not to run, please skip below to the Yoshi Completion section.
  • Each participant may complete the level only once.  You may not pool reps for your teammates (i.e. teammate A cannot add to teammate B's score).  Once you have finished your reps, you are free to continue past the limit and you may earn a special item going into the next challenge, but 300 seconds is all that is necessary to earn points for your team.
  • If you are completing level 3 with an Invincibility Star, the ghosts can't harm you!  Therefore, you have the option of taking your time and logging 3 miles of walking instead of doing the sprints.  Please enter the number of miles you have walked multiplied by 100 in the spreadsheet.  Remember that this item will expire at the end of level 3, so if you have it, use it or lose it!

YOSHI COMPLETION:

tumblr_ltr8ra59U91r3vzpmo1_500.gif

• Mario's favorite dinosaur friend is available to help you clear the level with ease!  Each week's level will have a Yoshi completion option that will involve cooking.  Injured Assassins or those with issues completing the physical challenge are encouraged to take on the Yoshi challenge instead.
  • As you know, Yoshi needs to eat... a lot.... to keep up his energy and carry you through the level!  To complete the level with Yoshi, you must make a dish using the week's special ingredient and post:
    • The recipe
    • A photo
    • Your (or a taste tester's) review
  • To the best of my ability, ingredients will be easily accessible and in-season.  All ingredients will be produce so as to ensure most eating philosophies (paleo, vegetarian, etc.) can participate.  Week 3's special ingredient is beets.  If and only if you have no access to beets, please substitute another root vegetable that is currently in season for you that is NOT a potato.
  • Remember that each participant may complete the level only once.  If you choose to complete the level with Yoshi, you do not need to run at all.  Similarly, if you choose to do the sprints, then you will not receive points for the Yoshi completion.

Team scores will be determined by the number of team members that complete the level.  This mini-challenge lasts until SUNDAY 11:59PM EST... so get jumping!

>>BOO!<<

Still need to sign up for a team? PM starsapart to be assigned.

Normal Mini-Challenge Rules:

- Mini-challenges are not mandatory, feel free to ignore this one if you don't want to participate. Don't let mini-challenges hinder your own goals.

- If you're not sure how to register something, post it here.

- Keep it simple!

- Don't hurt yourself!

Every Assassin who competes in this mini-challenge gets +1 STA for outrunning the ghosts!

Assassins, remember to be safe and have fun!

• Like 2

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Dude, not cool. Still recovering from an ankle fracture, so no sprinting... and beets were the one vegetable I was allowed to not eat as a kid, because they made me vomit, every time. Grumble grumble grumble grumble.

Google to the rescue! Search: "beet recipes that don't...", and autofill supplies "beet recipes that don't taste like dirt." Haha. Win!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kelly-pfeiffer/11-beet-recipes-that-dont-taste-like-dirt_b_7227606.html

Pink chocolate chip cookies, here I come!

2015-05-06-1430953284-5442709-pinkcookie

• Like 5

Manarelle the Level 60 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Hmm.  Suicide runs, anybody?  The basketball court usually took me 30 seconds, but I'm kind of horrible at running.  Those tended to be all about efficient starts and stops.  7 of them overall.  Total distance is 5 times the basketball court, but the starts and stops kill my time.

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Totally going to Yoshi.  I have some new balsamic vinegar and a lemon olive oil that I can use to make marinated beets.  

I love marinated beets.  With a little mint.  

• Like 1

Some kind of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47

AUGH I HEAVILY DISLIKE BOTH OF THESE THINGS

I'm going to have to do some soul searching here. ;_;

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

Sprinting is almost certainly not going to happen for me this week, but I do have a recipe for over roasted vegetables--including beets and turnips!--that has been lurking in my not-yet-tried recipe folder for quite a long time. Yoshi to the rescue!

SpiralGalaxy, Level 9 Halfling Elf Assassin
STR 17|DEX 13|STA 20|CON 13|WIS 21|CHA 15
Electromagnetics Engineer, Freelance sci-fi critic in Maryland

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." 

Sprinting in this case is running. No skates, bikes, skis, etc.

Remember that you can feed beets to someone else - you don't have to eat them yourself if you don't like them.

Make your hard choices. :D

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

AUGH I HEAVILY DISLIKE BOTH OF THESE THINGS

I'm going to have to do some soul searching here. ;_;

Got access to an open soccer field?

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Well crap.

I guess in that case maybe I'm going to have to verify that I do in fact still HATE beets with a burning passion.

Psst...... I'll just leave this here. 

Ok, the massive picture of brownies - even if they are beet brownies - seemed too cruel to leave up. Needless to say, there are lots of healthy (and less so) dessert options that use beets to add moisture of baked goods. Google is your friend here. 

Manarelle the Level 60 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

We were doing sled push sprints as part of today's workout! Perfect timing!

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

I'm not sure why you all hate sprints; they're fun and make you faster.  I also expect to need them one day, when my smart mouth prompts someone to start shooting, but that's just me. :playful::devilish:

• Like 3

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Hmmmmmmmmm............ I may have to yoshi this one too, I dunno if I'm for that much sprinting. Fortunately I love me some beets.

Also, is this thread supposed to be pinned? I went looking in the Assassin's forum and didn't see it, but then found it through the link in the Pink Team HQ...

It was also linked at the end of the week 2 thread. It'll probably be pinned once Stars gets back :)

• Like 1

I hate sprints because I am not a runner. 

As to why I'm not going to attempt them anyway: I have nowhere I can reasonably go to work on them right now (we are getting ALL the rain at the moment so outside is no good, I don't have room in my house, and I don't have time to go to the Y).  Also, because I am out of shape, I would need to spend so much time recovering from my short sprints (I doubt I can do more than 5 seconds at a true sprint right now) that it would be time-prohibitive for me to be able to get in 5 minutes of them.

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

A few months ago I had my first experience cooking beets. I opened up our bi-weekly vegetable box and there were these very purple, very dirty, beets with their unmanageably long greens, also dirty. Not what I selected for this week. What on earth was I going to do with these? I'd had picked beets on salad in restaurants and liked them, but I had never dealt with them in my own kitchen before. So what did I do? At the suggestion of a friend, I peeled them and roasted them with salt and pepper. YUUUUUUUMMMMMM! I've made them a couple of other time since and even started incorporating the greens into the dish.

For this challenge, I just happened to have golden beets in my fridge from our last vegetable box. I hope they count towards the challenge. They are not the purple, stain your cutting board, type of beets, but they still taste like beets.

So tonight I prepared Yoshi a very delicious:

Warm Golden Beet Salad with Greens and Almonds

Warm Golden Beet Salad with Greens and Almonds

Original Recipe from the kitchn

1 bunch beets, both tops and roots
Olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
2/3 cup toasted almond slivers

Heat the oven to 425°F. Line a 9-inch square baking pan or cake tin with a big square of foil, large enough to complete enclose the beet roots. Lightly rinse the beet roots to remove any really clumpy dirt and pat them dry. Place them in the foil square and lightly drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Fold up the foil and crease to seal. Bake the beets for 60 minutes or until they can be just pierced with a fork. Set aside to cool.

Meanwhile, chop the beet greens into bite-size ribbons. Discard the stalks between the roots and where the leaves start, but chop the leaf ribs along with the leaves. Rinse thoroughly to remove all traces of dirt and grit. In a large skillet, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat and add the garlic. Cook on low for about 5 minutes or until the garlic is golden and fragrant. Add the chopped leaves and stir to coat with the garlic. Cook on medium-low for about 10 minutes or until the leaves are soft and tender. Remove from the heat.

When the beets are cool, rub them with a paper towel to remove the skin. Then chop into bitesized pieces and toss with the cooked greens, goat cheese, and almonds. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or cold. (This also makes an excellent pressed sandwich filling, especially with some extra goat cheese.)

Note:
I did not discard the stalks. I decided to prepare them the way I did for another recipe. I cut them into 1" pieces. Place them in a pan with some oil and water. Covered and cooked until the stalks were fork tender adding more water as needed. Then combined them with the cooked greens.

REVIEW:
"I'd eat that again" - Hero Husband

So, my husband liked it and he doesn't like beets.

The creaminess of the goat cheese (made by my sister-in-law), the crunch of the almonds, the sweetness of the beets, and the garlic with the greens. The flavors just all worked together. I wish there were leftovers. I wouldn't really call it a "salad" though. It's more like Golden Beets with sauteed greens. I would make this again, but with one change to the prep. I peeled my beets instead of keeping the skins on and baked them whole. I would have gone even further and cut them before baking them. Also, this recipe must have been for a larger bunch of beets than I had. I had 4 beets and I used less than 4oz of cheese and only a sprinkle of almonds. You may need to adjust the ingredients as well as the cooking time for the greens.
  • Like 2

Level 4 Assassin

Challenges: Current 1 2 3 | Trackers: Current 1 2 3

"It's never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot