Music that gets you moving.

Does anyone else think of their iPod /phone/whatever as a necessity when working out at the gym? What kind of music gets you moving? For me, I stream lots of radio since I have an iPod touch and the Y has wifi in the cardio room at least.I listen to glam rock eighties style . I use I heart radio and tune in radio. I love AC/DC, Judas Priest ect.

Listening to music that I love makes working out so much easier. If I could not listen to my tunes it would much more tedious. I must confess that I do not really love exercising and if I could get fit and strong by sitting on my bum I would do that in a heartbeat. What I want from working out are the end results which is what I think we all want in the end.

I'm usually happy with my Crossfit gym's choice of music, so no problem there. When I'm at my other place, though? Oh, heavens yes.

Have you ever tried squatting a heavy double while that Colbie Cailat or whoever sings that "Bubbly" song? No? Well, you're fortunate then. I was pretty sure that was the end of me. :P

My favorite tunes for working out really don't tend to be the stuff that I typically listen to day to day. Tends more towards hardcore than my usual fare, but it's hard to not just attack a set with stuff like this going. Both for the pure sound and for the lyrics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4W9dmGQmF8

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

I am right with you baby cakes! My favorites are blue oyster cult, nazareth, ac/dc, led zeppelin, green day, etc. but I work out mostly with my daughter and we have settled on Kesha, paramore, cartel and right now we love LMFAO which is so silly its a riot! Music definitely puts me in the mood to move it move it!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

http://www.theglitchmob.com/updates/310

this gets me so pumped up, start to finish: a 30 minute remix of the glitch mob's "drink the sea" album and a ton of awesome, ego-driven rap. i am pretty sure you can download it here for free, too!

i also find myself listening to a lot more metal when i am working out. it just gets me so amped up! the album "kezia" by protest the hero is a great one to listen to all the way through.

Couldn't do without some form of music! All kinds, really. Good hard rock like Michael Monroe, King's X...love working out to Tool, something really relentless about listening to "Swamp Song" or "Bottom" while pushing out a set. Bands like Hatebreed, Slayer too, but not the super-fast stuff. Also occasionally Cadence calls while running - I think R. Lee Ermey from the film "Full Metal Jacket" had some recorded. Good for a laugh, and something different.

Doesn't really qualify as music I guess, but it does motivate you! I think some of it is available in the public domain now.

I'm usually happy with my Crossfit gym's choice of music, so no problem there. When I'm at my other place, though? Oh, heavens yes.

Have you ever tried squatting a heavy double while that Colbie Cailat or whoever sings that "Bubbly" song? No? Well, you're fortunate then. I was pretty sure that was the end of me. :P

My favorite tunes for working out really don't tend to be the stuff that I typically listen to day to day. Tends more towards hardcore than my usual fare, but it's hard to not just attack a set with stuff like this going. Both for the pure sound and for the lyrics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4W9dmGQmF8

I LOVE All That Remains! I would agree with this.

The music I love is pretty mellow, and not suited for working out. My gym plays absolutely horrible music, but even if I were to wear headphones while working out, they play the music so loud I'd have to blow my ear drums out to override it. I would quite happily workout with no music, I love it when the gym's PA is down.

Please don't take this to mean I don't like music, I love it, just most of my music isn't high energy/tempo. And I'm quite picky.

Lol @ tazer, I'm totally with the ego driven rap. Totally gets you pumped and gets you feeling like youre as awesome as the guy spitting off those crude lyrics or the woman he's talking about... Crudely... Haha.

Anything is possible for him who believes. (Mark 9:23)
"The wise man sees in the misfortune of others what he should avoid." -Marcus Aurelius
Current challenge
My Training
STR-10 DEX-6 STA-9 CON-4 WIS-16.5 CHA-5

Gets me moving. Get me some Dub step or Drums and Bass like Skrillex or Pendulum is okay.

Otherwise, Pillar, POD, or some System of a Down.

Yes! I'm addicted to my Pandora Dubstep station. I've also been listening to a lot of weird stuff lately that I can zone out to, mainly for my cardio workouts. Beats Antique and other eastern influenced electronica especially.

Level 0 Undine Druid

"I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself. Fish are friends, not food.†~ Finding Nemo

June challenge thread.

Adampm, I adore Godsmack...yes, I am 47...so what? hehehe....I have seen em play live a few times--what a crazy wonderful show--sully SO rocks!

Funny nerdy thing today--i found an old KC and the sunshine band CD and played it while I worked out and it was so good!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

Guest guest4729

Depends, I just put my iPod on shuffle and while I rest between sets I change the music if I don't like a song that pops on. Sometimes I listen to LMFAO, sometimes I listen to SOAD, sometimes I listen to instrumental (Ludovico Einaudi, Apocalyptica, Escala), sometimes I listen to some hip hop, sometimes some electronic dance music, sometimes some German music, it's just a mix.

I think the band that comes on the most is probably Disturbed?

Secret confession: I have LMFAO on my play list. Only because I had to sit through my boyfriend singing "I'm sexy and I know it" in the car the other day and it makes me crack up when I hear it. Otherwise I have the soundtrack to Repo! The Genetic Opera, Sevendust (old Sevendust), Avenged, Cake, and ocremix.org stuff.

I work out!

Level 0 Undine Druid

"I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself. Fish are friends, not food.†~ Finding Nemo

June challenge thread.

I don't know what I would do without Pandora during workouts at the gym! I currently listen to The Rapture station and a Ratatat station (and sometimes the Crystal Castles station.) A lot of high tempo with the rapture and bands I can get into like Metric and New Young Pony Club, but if the singing voices grate on your nerves - the Ratatat station also has Deadmau5 and Daft Punk with several bass mixes. I usually spend time fast "running" on an elliptical so electronic stuff can really get me amped.

"Hey, hey, hey, now. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean 'cause remember: No matter where you go...there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai

Have you ever tried squatting a heavy double while that Colbie Cailat or whoever sings that "Bubbly" song? No? Well, you're fortunate then.

THIS

A few weeks ago I was heavy squatting and some god awful autotune song kicked in. I lost it and nearly dropped the bar. Autotune should be banned from gyms!

Oystergirl, I'm up there with you at 42 :) I'm almost ashamed to admit it but there are days I load up some 80's hairbands (Dokken Dreamwarrior) or something like that.

I still have one of my 'study' cd's from college I fire up when I have to study to take cert tests for work.

I enjoy listening to the 80's rock too. I am 39 and lately have been listening to old Van Halen and Judas Priest. Dream Warriors is a cool song. When listening to that though you have to keep looking over your shoulder to see if Freddie is coming :-)

Road to Disaster by Molly Hatchet and Bigger, Better, Faster, Stronger by Daft Punk.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf