Challenge: Br0din presents Rowvember

Br0din

Br0thern and Swolemaidens,

It is deemed time to partake in an epic challenge of body and mind.  I have seen Br0’s and Swolemaidens struggle and excel at all the glorious feats of strength like squats, deadlifts, snatch, clean and jerks just to name a few.  I’ve also witnessed the awesomeness of the lifting Br0 with the shrugs, curls, bench press and calf raises.  However, one neglected body part must be given its proper worship.  The back.

2egcswh.gif

In light of this, I declare this month to be Rowvember.  You shall go to your Iron Sanctuary and give worship by doing 10 sets of 10 1 arm rows within 10 minutes.  Make sure you are doing proper 1 arm rows.  This is a great example of a proper row.

1432308569-single-arm-rows.gif

As not all worshipers are at the same level of difficulty, so do the level that will challenge you. 

Weights in (m/f)

Beginner 25lbs/15lbs   +.5 str, +1 wis, +.5 con

Medium 50lbs/30lbs    +1 str, +1 con

Hard  75lbs/45lbs          +1 str, +1 con, +.5 sta

Nightmare 100lbs/60lbs  +2 str, +1.5 con, +.5 sta

Insane 150lbs/90lbs     +3 str, +1.5 con, +1 sta

Summary:  1-arm dumbbell row, your difficulty level, 10 reps each side, 10 sets; for time.  Post your glory in this thread.

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

So the goal is to do them as fast as you can? Or within 10 minutes? I'm confused....

But looks like fun!

You want to do quality reps with in the time limit.  Of course, faster is better, but if you can do it in 8 min, you need to go up difficulty level.

This is going to be a significant test of conditioning.  

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

I just did back yesterday. Now I have to wait nearly a whole week to do this :(

Rowvember: I'm about to make you my bitch.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

I just did back yesterday. Now I have to wait nearly a whole week to do this :(

Rowvember: I'm about to make you my bitch.

I'll sign you up for nightmare level!

Wheymen

I'll sign you up for nightmare level!

Yea no... probably Medium like the pansy that I actually am lol

BTW very much doubt a single woman on here could do nightmare level. I'm comparatively strong and I suspect I'd struggle with "Hard".

^I second this

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

BTW very much doubt a single woman on here could do nightmare level. I'm comparatively strong and I suspect I'd struggle with "Hard".

A married woman on here can?

• Like 3

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

If it was just hard, It would be called that.  

It's not being a pansy! The women's weights are comparatively tougher, I think.

I think there may only be 1 male who could do nightmare (and I have my doubts that anyone will get it.)  I think they are tuned appropriately in toughness, but I will listen to suggestions for improvement.  

I wanted to have a challenge that can difficult every level lifter and I didn't want to limit awesomeness by not making a hard enough level. So, Nightmare and Insane are...  tough.  And... it leaves something on the table to train for in the future improvement.  

Yea no... probably Medium like the pansy that I actually am lol

You're no pansy... come on!!   :playful:

giphy.gif

Wheymen

If it was just hard, It would be called that.

I think there may only be 1 male who could do nightmare (and I have my doubts that anyone will get it.) I think they are tuned appropriately in toughness, but I will listen to suggestions for improvement.

I wanted to have a challenge that can difficult every level lifter and I didn't want to limit awesomeness by not making a hard enough level. So, Nightmare and Insane are... tough. And... it leaves something on the table to train for in the future improvement.

You're no pansy... come on!! :playful:

giphy.gif

It's worth taking into account that women will be not only weaker by bodyweight but also smaller than your average guy.

For me or Marissa, insanity is almost 75% of our bodyweight compared to c.60-70% for the strongest guys on here.

Whilst weights for challenges should be challenging, you'll be hard pushed to find even elite female lifters who will do 10x10 with 45kg/100lb. Whereas you might easily find elite men doing 10x10 with 70kg/150lb.

• Like 1

I knew you were a crossfiter in disguise!

I have assassin tendencies...  get it right...

2-Fear-and-Loathing-in-Las-Vegas-quotes.

• Like 2

Wheymen

Challenge \o/ 

It's a hefty one, I like the idea of having nightmate levels :)

But i'll have to agree with SpecialSundae that the womens weights are a bit off. An adjustment would be good.. otherwise we'll just have to feel extra awesome if we can do the medium level! 

(take a look at mens/womens weights for the crossfit games, that should give you a good idea of how they should relate)

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl prepares to move

my instagram - my gym's instagram

For the levels, I'm fine with Insane basically being unachievable by anyone around here and for nightmare being something that maybe someone surprises us by getting, but that more than likely won't be achieved. Hard would be something that only the strongest around here should get and on down to easy where everyone should be able to get it.

After reading the input for the women weights, I went and looked at the American bench records for women vs men across the weight classes (excluding one of the men's middle classes since we have 1 more) in order to compare upper body strengths across the spectrum. They are all between 50% and 55% of the equivalent men's class except for the lightest weight class (46%) and the heaviest (61%). It's also been shown that women lift for reps at a higher intensity than men, i.e. their 5RM is a higher % of their 1RM than for men. Due to all this, I believe a weight 60% of the men's at each level fits well. That is the case for the first 3 levels. The last 2 are 75% and 67%, which are high. I'll adjust them down. The mods will look into developing guidelines for challenge weights along these lines to use in the future.

Is there any possibility that my feedback is going to be taken on board?

HA! When is it ever???

Comments like this make me want to ignore you of of spite by the way. Probably not the best way to get your opinion taken into account.

• Like 4

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I have adjusted the women's weights for this challenge.  My goal is to make categories for all difficulty levels and I expect most of the experienced lifters to be in the medium and hard range.  I expect a couple people to attempt nightmare, but I don't think anyone will complete it and I don't expect anyone to attempt Insane.  But, I am trying to take into account all possibilities, so I added them just in case someone smokes all the levels.  Lets call it the @flex luthor rule.  

• Like 3

Wheymen