I need some serious help T_T

As the title explains, I need some help.

I am SO confused!!! I've been on paleo diet for a month, I've become quite a bit more active at work. (I work in the hospitality industry.) And....

...nothing.

No weight-loss, do inches lost. NOTHING! :hopelessness:

I try my hardest to find time to work out, I do lunges to the bathroom, I ignore my chair for all of 10 minutes out of the day. (By this I mean I am squatting about 10 minutes out of the day at my computer. The residents look at my funny, but who cares.)

My sister has lost weight, and eats paleo-ish while doing crossfit. So I asked her for a few pointers, and she claims its that I don't eat enough throughout the day.

If so, how the fluff do I eat more? I work in an office, and I bring snacks and meals with me, but how is that not enough?

My average daily diet looks like this:

Breakfast:

Black coffee w/ coconut milk and a tbsp of agave nectar.

paleo granola (almonds, walnuts, coconut oil, almond flour and vanilla extract.) Poured with coconut milk.

Brunch:

2 eggs

2 bacon

Lunch:

chicken or turkey breast

Sweet potatoes (my new fave)

Snack:

celery with cauliflower hummus (Super delicious)

Dinner: (If I'm even hungry)

Is usually any meat, any veggie.

Halp! I don't drink sodas any more, I don't have tea or juice either, all I drink is coffee and water. The last starch I had was a little bit of potato about two weeks ago. So what am I missing? :grief:

I'm not a pro and my goal is the opposite of yours. Anyway, after my first month I came up with the same complain/cry-for-help because despite being a lot more active and eating a lot more I didn't even gain a single pound. Another  few weeks later things FINALLY started to change the way I wanted to.

So if you reviewed how much fuel you take and how much fuel you burn, I'd say we can assume you are either on the right track or much closer to it than you use to be. I suggest you simply keep up with your new life style and give it some time.

My Battle Log

Challenges 1, 2,

Escape the Matrix Quest

Those are challenges I couldn't complete during previous 6 Week Challenges. While they won't be my focus for the next 6WC, I am keeping them here until I complete them. I WILL complete them.

Push ups challenge (3 sets of 30)

50%
50%

Freaking pull ups challenge (10 consecutive pushups)

64%
64%

Okay, you're trying to lose weight. 

Wow, I could give a bunch of tips, but I'd mostly be firing in the dark, which isn't cool... somebody could get hurt :)

So why don't you tell me what your pre-paleo diet looked like?

Also, what's your goal you are working towards (and I don't mean "lose weight" or "get toned", but specifically like, lose x lbs or get to x% body fat)?

There could be a variety of reasons why you aren't losing the weight and those questions could help narrow them down.

Some shots in the dark:

1) Usually I would advise a period of nourishing the body before any new diet is started. I have seen the best results in myself and my wife when we do that. That means, over a 1-2 week period eat what u normally eat and slowly add in better food choices. Adding in fruits rich in anti-oxidants and water and veggies as well really helps get those micro-nutrients and nourishment in. The goal: bring your body to a healthy maintenance state (ground zero), then begin cutting or adding calories.

2) Maybe you're not drinking enough water. I drink over 1 gallon of water a day. It was hard at first but I realized that being dehydrated doesn't help the weight loss process one bit. Working at the desk as a programmer and forgetting to drink a single drop 4 hours later is a common problem. Are you a little uncomfortable with how much water you drink? Yes? Drink some more. BTW Im not saying drink a gallon of water a day, I try to drink my bodyweight in ounces of water per day which happens to be around a gallon.

• Like 1

Amazing Gains - The Last Weight Loss Guide You Will Ever Need

The bad thing about soda and juice is supposed to really be the fructose without the normal fiber naturally in like a fruit, so, in theory, honey and probably agave nectar might not be that great either, not that I'm saying that is definitely your problem or anything, but personally, it seems like the littlest bit of sugar can sometimes cause a problem for me, so cutting them out is something that could be worth trying.

I've also heard that some people have trouble loosing weight if they eat a lot of nuts. I, personally, have about 15-20 almonds (a small or medium handful) if I'm feeling extra hungry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

As the title explains, I need some help.

I am SO confused!!! I've been on paleo diet for a month, I've become quite a bit more active at work. (I work in the hospitality industry.) And....

...nothing.

No weight-loss, do inches lost. NOTHING! :hopelessness:

I try my hardest to find time to work out, I do lunges to the bathroom, I ignore my chair for all of 10 minutes out of the day. (By this I mean I am squatting about 10 minutes out of the day at my computer. The residents look at my funny, but who cares.)

My sister has lost weight, and eats paleo-ish while doing crossfit. So I asked her for a few pointers, and she claims its that I don't eat enough throughout the day.

If so, how the fluff do I eat more? I work in an office, and I bring snacks and meals with me, but how is that not enough?

My average daily diet looks like this:

Breakfast:

Black coffee w/ coconut milk and a tbsp of agave nectar. Coffee with sugar.

paleo granola (almonds, walnuts, coconut oil, almond flour and vanilla extract.) Poured with coconut milk. Carbs.

Brunch:

2 eggs

2 bacon 

Good. Quantity could be higher.

Lunch:

chicken or turkey breast Good - more fat less lean would be better

Sweet potatoes (my new fave) - More carbs.

Snack:

celery with cauliflower hummus (Super delicious) More carbs? Seriously?

Dinner: (If I'm even hungry)

Is usually any meat, any veggie. 

Halp! I don't drink sodas any more, I don't have tea or juice either, all I drink is coffee and water. The last starch I had was a little bit of potato about two weeks ago. So what am I missing? :grief:

Diagnosis. You're eating too many carbs. Try to get under 30g of total carbohydrates in a day. Replace those missing calories with good fat. Mostly saturated fats from animal sources. Meat, dairy, eggs. Let your body have a chance to get into Ketosis and start burning fat for fuel instead of carbs and sugar. If you really want to jump start the process fast for two to three days before you start.

Your exercise routine seems token. Don't do mild exercise throughout the day. Set aside a block of time to really focus on intensity. 30 minutes first thing in the morning, before you shower and really sweat. Intensity is the key to raising your metabolic rate. You can skip the squats at your desk for ten minutes at a time if you take thirty minutes at home and squat til it hurts.

• Like 2

Fenrir has it right.

Last time I really successfully lost weight, I went hard no-carbs (beyond dietary fiber of course, like you find in veggies) for two weeks. This forces your body to revert from burning its preferred fuel source (Carbohydrates) to burning its secondary (fat). Getting into the fat-burning phase (Ketosis) is the whole point of Paleo. So stop and look at your diet, your sister may be right after all. If you're limiting carbs but haven't actually gone into Ketosis, your body may still be trying to burn carbohydrates and therefore has gone into mild starvation mode, holding onto everything it can. 

Fenrir broke down your daily meals pretty well. What you're currently doing looks more like a Paleo Maintenance Diet than a Paleo Cut. Drop the extras from the granola and just have some mixed nuts, or better, just up the quantities at brunch. I love sweet potatoes, just had some with dinner tonight. But I'm counting calories right now, not going Paleo. Sweet Potatoes are better than white potatoes, but still have a lot of carbs. Easy rule of thumb: If it's sweet, it has carbs. Cauliflower Hummus... is that made of cauliflower, or hummus that includes some cauliflower? 

While I don't entirely agree with Fenrir about disregarding changes to your daily routine (just taking the stairs can be a huge step forward for a lot of people), I do absolutely agree with his exercise recommendations. You need to feel the burn, as cheesy as it sounds, to really affect your metabolism. For example, I climb ladders, install heavy electrical and HVAC equipment and carry barrels of chemicals on a regular basis at work, but when I'm trying to cut I still have to hit the gym. You need to push past just your daily routine to up your metabolism.

I've got a long ways to go yet myself, but my advice is based in previous results. I'll be around, if you ever want to talk just message me.

How much weight were you expecting to lose?  If your weight was near normal to begin with and you're still taking in the same amount of calories as before, paleo won't magically make you lose weight.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

There is a lot of misinformation being batted around here.

OP: you're eating too many calories for your weight loss goals. Paleo isn't a magic wand which makes you lose weight.

Cut down your portion sizes, go easier on added fats or carbs (i.e. paleo granola and agave syrup), or cut out some snacks (or weigh and measure and count calories).

Carbs do not stop you losing weight unless they are the one thing that keeps you out of a calories deficit. The same goes for fats.

Make the priority in your diet vegetables and meat, go easy on the agave and nuts, and you may see better results.

If you can find time to exercise, and you should, pick something you enjoy and follow a programme. The rest of the time, walk as much as you can.

• Like 5

Carbs do not stop you losing weight unless they are the one thing that keeps you out of a calories deficit. The same goes for fats.

Just reiterating this.

I lost the majority of my weight eating bowls of oatmeal every morning.  Giant carb bombs of oatmeal.  But, it was 2/3rds a cup, made with almond milk, and sweetened with some fruit.  All told, it was about 350~400 calories.

• Like 4

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Some good advice on here for sure. For fat loss goals, the calories in vs out is the most important thing. We've all heard the story of the university professor that ate nothing but junk food but maintained a calorie deficit and lost weight, just to prove the point. Realistically, it is also highly important to make sure the food you take in is nutritious and satisfying. My biggest problem is avoiding feeling hungry while maintaining a deficit, and the best way to do that is eating a variety of whole foods that include lean meats, veggies, fibre and complex (not simple) carbs. Ain't nobody taking away my steel cut oatmeal!! The thing about paleo that I noticed when I did it was that the diet really needed to be accompanied by a fitness regime focused on strength. If you are not interested in strength training, paleo eating could make you gain weight if you rely too heavily on calorie rich nuts, seeds, meats, etc.

If it is the case that your paleo eating has you downing calorie bombs without realising it, you should try using a food tracker app for a couple weeks and see how your diet stacks up to what your body burns in a day. Better yet, get a fitness tracker to get a better idea of what you are burning compared to what you eat. That could really shed some light on what is going on. Some options are: My Fitness Pal, Fitbit, Livestrong's Myplate. They all let you track your food for free. Bonus with the first two is that they also integrate with fitness tracking devices.

Good luck and keep going with those positive changes you've already made. You are heading in the right direction!!

Level: 3 Race: Human-Wood Elf Hybrid Class: Rebel

[STR - 1] [DEX - 1] [STA - 8] [CON - 7] [WIS - 13] [CHA - 3]

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

I'll second the 'too many calories' opinion, and point the finger at your paleo granola and coffee in particular. Nuts are incredibly sneaky. 10-11 almonds are about 100 calories, and it's really easy to eat more than that. Coconut milk packs a wallop too (35 calories for a tbsp). Agave syrup (about 50 calories from 1 tbsp) is sugar no matter how you look at it, so you might want to cut that down. That's 85 calories just in your coffee, more if you use more coconut milk than a tbsp.

I suggest replacing your breakfast with your brunch. Just add another egg or two and some veggies (spinach, peppers and mushrooms make for a great omelette!) and you're set.

TLDR: Drop the nuts as a main meal.

• Like 1

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

I'm echoing Basement Cat. 

Granola and Sweet Potatoes are very calorie dense. I'd try to replace those with eggs in the morning and then butternut squash for the sweet potatoes. The taste isn't exact, but they're similar enough if you spice them the same, they still have healthy carbs and they're a third of the calorie count. 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

In addition to the fact that you are eating too many calories (eating too little is certainly not a problem, that is a myth plain and simple), I would say to add more of the greatest fat burning exercise of all.  Walking.  When you are trying to lose weight, it is impossible to walk too much.

• Like 3

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

In addition to all the wonderful, if conflicting advice here, I'd like to add that your weight loss stalling might have nothing to do with diet. Stress, mindset, and eating behaviour can also have some pretty big effects. 

Also, if all this different advice is confusing - it's because different things have worked for different people and you need to maybe experiment a bit to find out what's going to work for you.

And final thought: It took you a lot longer than a month to get to where you are now. Give your body some time to adjust and adapt to what you're doing now - especially if it's drastically different from the way you have been living. Your body might not work to your mental time-line :)

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

To be honest, I wouldnt bother with the lunges to the bathroom and the squatting at the chair. That might engage your muscle while youre in a static squat, it wont really do anything towards losing weight. You also might be tricking yourself into thinking you have done your workout for the day, and go easier in the gym or when you do your exercise. Remember ... its also ONLY been a month. Your body might be adapting by taking on more water weight therefore the scale shows very little change.

REMEMBER that health and fitness is a LIFESTYLE. It is a LONG journey, if you have the mentality that everything is against you because you arent losing weight in the first month, then stop looking at the scale. Put ALL the peices of the puzzle together, and it might take until the final peices for it to ACTUALLY LOOK LIKE SOMETHING. 

Set a PROPER goal plan. Write it down, avoid numbers, work hard in the gym, take diet seriously. YOU WILL SUCCEED:

Will Lees<p> No Regrets Lifestyle! :onthego:

Weight loss comes down to calories in - calories out.  In your post, you didn't mention any amounts or even a daily calorie target.  I'd recommend you start tracking your actual intake and see what it's really at.  An app like myfitnesspal can help with tracking calories, fitlegitapp can help with figuring out how much you should be eating.