FYI - New Challenge Forums will be live tomorrow ×

Day 2 of no grains/no sugar. About to unhinge my jaw and swallow the fridge whole

Hello fellow rebels,

I just started yesterday with the "mostly paleo" plan (only "mostly" because I try to eat vegetarian and legumes are a pretty big part of my diet).  I've been eating mostly real food for a while, but I've been eating a LOT of carbs in grain form (mostly oats, quinoa, and whole wheat wraps.)

Yesterday I was fine.  Today I was fine until around lunchtime; since then I've been inhaling everything I can get my hands on.  It's a mix of being genuinely hungry and cravings (my kingdom for some oatmeal).  I've kept it to just veggies and protein, but I feel like I'm eating massive amounts of food and it's still not enough.  For lunch I had a huge salad with avocado and almonds, then about half a tub of hummus with broccoli florets, then I came home and ate an entire package of smoked salmon and a nectarine.  Is this normal? This seems like an awful lot of fatty stuff to be eating, and I'm having a hard time believing this is "better" for me than just having a half cup of oatmeal with some blueberries on it (my previous usual brekky). Thoughts?

The usual problem people run into when quitting grains is not adding enough other food in, like meat and veggies. It sounds like you are eating enough. A bit hard to say, since I'm not vegetarian. But avocado and almonds does sound filling. You are totally switching your diet, and your body may take time to adjust.

Whether to stick it out and see if your body adjusts or go back to the way you were eating depends on why you switched. Why did you take out the grains? If you want to try Paleo, what health benefits would you hope to see? If you are looking for certain things, ie weight loss, I would give it at least 3 weeks and then you can make an accurate judgement on which way to eat is better for you.

For me, Paleo works great, I lost weight and have been able to maintain the weight. I also no longer have the joint pain I used to. And my hunger is satisfied. I do still have oatmeal  in the winter, as I haven't seen any negative consequences from it, and  I enjoy it.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I'm drinking 3 liters of water per day, and I did try the "drink a glass of water when you get a craving" trick, but it didn't seem to work.

I do want to try to stick with the no-grain thing for 30 days and see if it results in any weight loss (nothing else has worked).  I guess I expected sugar/carb cravings, but not this weird constant hunger immediately after eating a full meal.  I'll try adding more fats in to breakfast and add a sweet potato to lunch today and see if that helps. 

• Like 1

Just a thought, try to stick it out a whole week before you stop. When we cut sugar( either refined or carbohydrates (( like bread))) the yeast in our digestive track dies causing toxins to be released. When these toxins are released it makes our body crave foods that will keep the yeast from causing problems. If you wait a week the amount of yeast in your gut will reach a new equilibrium and your cravings will cease.

Thanks Buffyfraz, I really am trying to make it at least this first week, I'd like to see if this works! I added a more generous dollop of coconut oil to my scrambled eggs this morning and some olive oil/balsamic vinegar dressing to my salad at lunch and I feel much better, so far I don't think I'm in danger of barbecuing the dog by the time I get home. Maybe the answer is just a bit more fat/oil on the front end? (although I'm still a bit wary of accidentally replacing my grain calories with twice the number of fat calories)

• Like 2

Thanks Buffyfraz, I really am trying to make it at least this first week, I'd like to see if this works! I added a more generous dollop of coconut oil to my scrambled eggs this morning and some olive oil/balsamic vinegar dressing to my salad at lunch and I feel much better, so far I don't think I'm in danger of barbecuing the dog by the time I get home. Maybe the answer is just a bit more fat/oil on the front end? (although I'm still a bit wary of accidentally replacing my grain calories with twice the number of fat calories)

Yep, that is a common mistake is not having enough fat and going way too low on calories. I actually think it is a good idea to track calories for a week just so you can get an idea of how much you should be eating. )Or you could just go with adding enough fat until you are not hungry and seeing what your results are after two weeks. If you haven't lost much weight, cut back a bit on the fat, while still eating so you don't feel the need to bbq the dog :playful:

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

You're right, I added up all the calories for everything I ate yesterday, which felt like about 3000 calories--it was only 1590, which was just about exactly what my Garmin said I burned for the day. So I'll definitely keep an eye on calories for the first few days and just eat when I'm hungry, and worry about finetuning the ratios in a week or two. Thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

Literally laughed out loud at this. I felt the exact same the first week or so doing a Whole 30. 

Try to stick it out for a few more days. When I was craving carbs I would have some nuts or carrots. If nuts and carrots sounded disgusting and I just wanted some freakin' bread or chips, then I knew it was all mental and I wasn't really hungry.

I made lots of whiny notes in my food journal. When the cravings passed in the following weeks, it was nice to look back and realize that positive changes were happening.

Good luck, and good eating!

Thanks trailgirl! I'm pleased to report I'm on Day 18 of this first 30 days, and once I figured out how to eat enough calories, I've done really well.  You're exactly right on the cravings, if I think I want something, but I don't want the healthy stuff, I don't actually want food. I make myself go walk out and look at the ocean (my office is next to the beach. It's a tough life) and usually that distracts me enough that I can choose not to have the cookies or loaf of bread or whatever I think I want. And it's working!! I've lost a good 2 inches off my waist measurement in less than 3 weeks.  So having actual visible results is certainly a great motivator to keep going.

• Like 2

I fought those cravings with a slice of cheese. But I like dairy and still eat it while others can't/don't.

I found that just eating a single slice of cheese curbed the cravings and, because of the relatively high fat content, was very satisfying as well.

Yet feet that wandering have gone, 

Turn at last to home afar.