I've been lurking and posting here over the last week, but figured an introduction thread was probably in order.

Like a lot of folks around here, I went from an active high school-er/college student (alpine ski racer), to a career cube dweller. After graduating from college I moved to the pacific northwest for 5 years, and between the home sickness and seasonal depression, I packed on some significant poundage. My husband and I moved home to Colorado in the spring of 2010, and I've been working on leveling up since then ;).

I can't really pin point when I decided that I needed to start making changes to my life, but something clicked in the fall of 2010. Some contributing factors included:

• My dad being put on beta blockers for high blood pressure.
  • Going skiing with a buddy, and not being able to complete a whole run without having to stop for a rest half way down.
  • Realizing that my happiness and health were my responsibility, no outside force could "fix" me.

Also like a lot of folks, I started out by calorie counting and running. For me the weight loss process has been like a big science experiment. I track everything! Having a ton of data has helped keep me motivated, and has taken the fear/control factor away from things like the scale.

Over the last year I have lost a little over 50 pounds. I'm really proud of the progress I have made, and I'm approaching my initial weight goal of 165 (my starting weight was 220). As I get closer to my goal weight, I'm starting to assess if that's a good goal for me, and to evaluate what other changes I need to be making to maintain/continue to be motivated.

I'm really enjoying this site and community. The web is a wild and crazy place when it comes to fitness and weight loss!

Level 0 Undine Druid

"I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself. Fish are friends, not food.†~ Finding Nemo

June challenge thread.