Alternatives to yoga for flexibility

amanda_mag

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if there are any alternatives to yoga to improve flexibility. I do several activities but I'm currently falling short on the flexibility department. I've given yoga my best shot but it just doesn't do it for me. I even got the NF Yoga subscription and have been doing the workouts for a while. My problem is that I get bored, I don't find it relaxing and my knees always hurt afterwards. 

My workout week looks like this (ideally, I shuffle some things around depending on schedule and things like that):

3 bodyweight sessions

2 krav maga classes

2-3 runs

*Up until now: 2 yoga sessions

I would like to complement with something that helps me improve flexibility.

Another suggestions I would appreciate is any activity that helps me improve my reflexes. I'm hopeless at throwing, catching and skipping obstacles, and I need to work on that one as well if I want to get better at krav maga.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

All the activity you're doing is helping with flexibility more than you might think.  If you want more besides, you could always just do some good old stretching.  Hold a few at the end of your workouts (or after your muscles are otherwise thoroughly warm), maybe 2-3 times each for 30s-60s.

As for throwing/catching/obstacles, that kind of coordination will come over time with practice.  Stay patient and don't get frustrated if it takes some time!

http://www.reddit.com/r/flexibility

There's a pretty good recommended routine that takes about 15 minutes, isn't overly strenuous, and covers all the major parts.

Also, finding activities where you need to move in greater range of motion is great, whether it is parkour or rock climbing.  Krav is awesome, but doesn't push ROM much.

You don't say what your "bodyweight sessions" are, but any good bodyweight program is going to have a fair amount of mobility work in it as well- L-sits work your hamstring flexibility, handstands work your shoulder mobility, etc.  I like the Gymnastic Bodies routine ($$$) but the /r/bodyweightfitness recommended routine is really good and free.

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

All the activity you're doing is helping with flexibility more than you might think.  If you want more besides, you could always just do some good old stretching.  Hold a few at the end of your workouts (or after your muscles are otherwise thoroughly warm), maybe 2-3 times each for 30s-60s.

As for throwing/catching/obstacles, that kind of coordination will come over time with practice.  Stay patient and don't get frustrated if it takes some time!

Yeah, I thought that too. I always stretch when I work out but I don't do anything specifically to improve flexibility. I think I'm going to add 5-10 extra minutes for stretching after my runs.

Thanks! But, I don't understand reddit at all... where is this 15 minute routine you recommend? :S

Sorry, the bodyweight routine is right there, but the flexibility one is hidden for some reason. 

Here's the webpage that everyone there follows:

http://phraktured.net/starting-stretching.html

And a summary with images:

http://imgur.com/VtBq5t6

Do each of those stretches for a minute each, once a day.  A couple of them you'll have to do on both sides, so it'll take more than just ten minutes.

Do each of those 10 for a minute each.

• Like 1

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

Are you looking to improve your flexibility because it's limiting you in your activities? Or are you just looking to improve it for the sake of improvement?

I wouldn't say it's limiting my activities right now. It's ok for my current level but I think that to get better I need to work on flexibility.