Nerds rule the world! Proud to join the ranks!

Hails to the Rebellion from here in Pittsburgh, PA!

Me: 40 and trying to grow up, with a beautiful wife, one beautiful and brilliant daughter, employed professional and managing a home biz, and resolved to:

1. Own my nerdiness!

2. Get stronger, faster, and healthier!

This site and community, in all honesty, feels very homelike. I got the feeling there are a lot of kindred spirits here, who are into the same things and dealing with similar challenges. I look forward to the support and to being supportive.

I'm coming from a background of dabbling in fitness - some free weight training, 'casual running' and martial arts - but it's been the realization that I've gained 20 pounds (20 over my healthy BMI limit for my height and age), after taking a mostly sedentary job in consulting following the completion of grad school, that has made me determined to put the brake on this undesirable trajectory. I am bound and determined to eat healthier, get stronger, look better, and be more awesome - for my own health, self-confidence, and longevity, so my wife knows she has a Rock to lean on, and so my daughter knows her dad can kick ass !!!:encouragement:

Good luck to everyone on their quest! I'm looking forward to reading, learning, participating and getting inspired. I'd also be very interested in attending and helping to organize any meetups of fellow NF Rebels in the Pittsburgh area, so feel free to contact me.

hah! that's what I use to tell bullies when I was growing up.

First, unless you are the correct body type, forget BMI. It doesn't take into account muscle mass in any way shape or form. Look into % body fat. I'm on the other side of the state, so maybe we'll run into each other at a meet up out in the middle somewhere.

Do you have a plan of action yet? Want to lift weights? Run? Crossfit?

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Greets! Thanks for the word on the BMI. I think I got a little obsessed with it because it's something health insurance underwriting takes into account - ugh!

How does one calculate body fat percentage and where can I find the benchmarks?

My plan of action -

Nutrition: transition to a clean Paleo/Primal lifestyle (Still exploring, so I can't get too specific yet on a time frame)

Exercise: Strength training and interval training, then within 6-8 months (to allow for living situation changes: looking for a new job and a house) begin Martial Arts training. If I can find good schools I'm interested in Krav Maga or perhaps Jun Fan/Jeet Kune Do....

I'll be on the lookout for events!

Have already started with the basic Bodyweight routine 3/wk, and interval on the treadmill in the gym in our apartment building (2/wk). When we get our house I will have to find a different approach to the Interval since I'll need to save $$ for lawnmowers and plumbers and suchlike. :)

Current performance: I am up to

2 full circuits on Basic routine + 1 "half-circuit" (1/2 the reps of squats & lunges but full count for everything else)

- pushups: up to 7 full range of motion, rest (out of 12 reps) on knees

- Bent over rows: 20 lbs dumbbell

- Plank: Max 35 secs

My 6 week goal is to get to 3 full circuits with full range of motion!