Got to leave some extra pounds behind.

Hello all.  

Old, overweight, super-nerd here.   (6' 0", 225 lbs., 58 year old programmer, gamer).

I can't believe someone actually created a fitness forum specifically for moi.  :)

So starting today I am back at trying to strip off 40 lbs., that I don't honestly need.   Though I did spend a lot of effort collecting it.  hmmmm.....

When motivated I tend to do a good job of moderating the food in-take.   I don't "diet" per se, just watch the extra junk food, and eat better.

What I need is a better work out routine.   I live a long way from a gym.  Like a 40 minute round trip to the closest one.   I've got a nice Weider free weight system, but am kind of scared to use it without a spotter close.

And I don't have a lot of time.  My current job has me commuting 4+ hours a day.  9 hour work day, 7-8 hours sleep, 4 hours commute and there just isn't much time left.   My normal day starts around 4:30. I typically jump on the keyboard for a couple of hours before getting ready for work.  That's the time that's going to get sacrificed.  I'll be lucky if i can carve out 30-45 minutes, but that's the goal.   I do get a chance to walk a couple of miles around the office park most days as well.

I'm leaning toward junking the thing and just going with a body weight work out.   (Googling "body weight workouts" is how I stumbled on this great place.)

I don't really have much in the way of questions. Just wanted to say hi, and that I could use some help later to stay motivated.

Thanks,

Steve

• Like 2

Level 4 Barbarian Assassin

STA:0 | STR:0 |  DEX:0 |  CHA:0 |  WIS:0 |  CON:0

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.

18%
18%

Main Quest: Lose 47lbs of fat, before 60th Birthday, December 31st, 2016  Starting 229 body weight * 33.1% fat = 75.8lbs/Current 215.7 lbs * 31.2% = 67.2 Loss 8.5lbs

0%
0%

Secondary Quest: 10 quality pull ups and/or chin ups in a single work out.

25%
25%

Secondary Quest: Drop comfortable jeans size from 36 to 32.

Thanks welcome Wover.

BattleLog.Started = true;

ActiveOnForums.Started = true;

Challenge.StartDate = new DateTime ("12/15/2015");

• Like 2

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.

18%
18%

Main Quest: Lose 47lbs of fat, before 60th Birthday, December 31st, 2016  Starting 229 body weight * 33.1% fat = 75.8lbs/Current 215.7 lbs * 31.2% = 67.2 Loss 8.5lbs

0%
0%

25%
25%

Hi! Looked you up after I found your comment on Ultrageek's post. :)

I just completed my first challenge. Fell short of my main goal, but I'm stronger than when I started; so it's all good.

I will try to help you with questions if I can. You can also check out the recruits section of the last challenge for help.

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

hey man! if you're nervous about using free weights, start real small until you get comfortable, and do it in front of a mirror if you can so you can check your form!! 

Level II Halfling Assassin

| 23 | 5'4" | 178 lbs |

| Pushups: 30 | 2 kM Row: 11 minutes |

GOALS

| No more than 1 cheat meal in a row for 10 days straight 1/10 | Maintain 11 minute 2k row | 35 pushups |

30 DAYS NO EXCUSES

Hi there,  I am new too.  I just wanted to welcome you.

MellieMc aka Bluemyst (I've had this handle since CB days!!)

I am a new recruit.  

pre-apple, pre-pc generation.  yes I have actually dialed into a mainframe to run a program

I want to get healthy so when my granddaughter says, "Grammy jump!"  I can.

I am an Elf in spirit, but resemble a fat dwarf.  Time to transforn.

Thanks Mellie.

Forest, thanks. But I'm not nervous about free weights.   If we're supposed to go to failure to get the best work out, then you can't use them without a spotter and I don't have one at home.  Simple.

18%
18%

0%
0%

25%
25%