Fiddle-on is in for the Finish

fiddle-on

I'm starting this challenge with only two weeks left in it. But since the other option is not starting at all for another month, I'm in.

I need to lose weight. I’ve been suffering minor injury after minor injury this year. Nothing I can point to and say “This is because I’m 20 pounds overweight,†but being overweight is a risk factor in all of them. So fitness for the winter is strength training. Right now, it’s centering on physical therapy (PT) for my back and foot. (Plantar fasciitis and stupidly trying to lift a log).

Exercise:

Short term is recovery, not progress. Next challenge will hopefully be more about gaining significant strength.

1. Spend 10-15 minutes in the morning and 10-15 minutes in the evening doing PT strength and stretch exercises (I’ve put this into a yoga routine). Extra credit for doing the stretches extra times during the day.
  2. Walk a minimum 5000 steps a day. Over 10,000 is better.
  3. Mark pain level/progress on a calendar.

If my back stops hurting during basic motions, I’ll add more challenging yoga to the PT routine. If I can go 4 weeks without back pain, I’ll start doing weighted strength training with very low weights. Starting with body weight should help me avoid injuries early on.

Diet:
I want to lose about 30 pounds, long term. I know from experience that I can lose about 1 pound a week and still feel good. Since I’m also hoping to build a significant amount of muscle, I’m going to take waist, hip, thigh, and bust measurements once a month, and note how my clothes fit rather than rely on the scale.

1. Record everything I eat. This doesn’t have to last forever, but I know that right now, I’m eating too many snacks and desserts on the “It’s just a little piece†basis. That logic falls down when you eat 5-10 sweets on the basis that each one is only about 100 calories.
  2. Set a general calorie goal. This is going to be more important than usual because I’m very limited in the amount of exercise I can do. My goal is 1200-1400 calories + exercise. I know that 1200 is sufficient if I’m really careful about eating lots of protein and nothing unhealthy. 1400 is an acknowledgement that I won’t be that careful every day, and I can still lose weight on 1400 calories. This goes hand in hand with recording everything.

Life:

I want to become a freelance writer/editor. I've always been an OK writer, and I've got a good eye for editing. I need to be better.

1. Write about 500 words a day, or edit 1000-2000 words. Except Tuesdays.
  2. Casually look for people/businesses who could do with an editor. I want to be find at least one client by the end of the winter, so this is mostly a goal for the next challenge.

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/108280-fiddle-eats-less-and-fiddles

Past Challenges:

Jan 2016, Feb 2016, March 2016April 2016, May 2016June/July2016, July/August 2016, Sept/Oct 2016, Nov 2016, May 2017

Yay, a fellow late start! Better late than never, as they always say.

Exactly! And it's been a year of never, so why wait another month?

Did PT yesterday, AM and PM, with stretches at lunch. My back has been improving really fast since I started a week ago. Before that, I was doing things like dropping a spoon and deciding not to pick it up because I didn't want to bend over. It still hurts, but it's manageable. I can bend over without worrying about how painful standing up will be.

Also was good on my dieting. I didn't have a cannoli at lunch, despite a plate of them available!

I may be adjusting the calorie goals. I was hungry last night after 1400 calories, but a handful of peanuts plus a small chocolate for dessert was enough. So I ate around 1500. I'll keep recording, and change things as needed.

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/108280-fiddle-eats-less-and-fiddles

Past Challenges:

Jan 2016, Feb 2016, March 2016April 2016, May 2016June/July2016, July/August 2016, Sept/Oct 2016, Nov 2016, May 2017

Successful day.

Could have been better about the diet today, but still pretty good. They were serving quesadillas at lunch. I had half of one, which was plenty. I'll have the other half for breakfast or lunch, along with some fresh veggies. Not eating the whole thing was a success. It helped that I entered the ingredients, and found it had about 800 calories before guacamole..  The bigger problem was when I got home, I was hungry, so I snacked on nuts, then had most of my dinner, then had two days worth of eggplant with parmesean cheese (I ate the whole eggplant in one sitting). I didn't feel like I really wanted the second half of the eggplant, it was just easier to eat it than wrap it up. Oh well. At least if you're gong to overeat, veggies are a better way to go than anything else.

Also, tomato sauce on the eggplant tasted better than salsa verde. I did 3 of each.

Biggest success: I didn't have any candies during the day. Treat was a piece of baklava after dinner, ~150 calories.

PT: I was feeling like skipping the evening, but then I made myself do it before being allowed to post, and it felt good. I actually threw in a modified sun salutation, where I was bending as little as possible. It felt pretty good.

This morning, both my back and my foot hurt more than they do now, but I did the stretches.

Now off to write. Only wrote about 200 words yesterday. I'll see if I can't finish that scene today.

Oh, and I upped the calorie count from 1400 to 1500. I record to look at what I'm eating, not to focus on calorie counts. And nothing makes me focus on a number like seeing it in bright red. This makes it much easier to be green.

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

Continuing to eat healthy. Went out to lunch, and got a Chef's Salad instead of pizza. This place makes good pizza, but it turns out their salads are kind of meh. About what I'd expect. Might try one of the lighter sandwhiches next time.

Also ate out last night, which was better. Salmon tagine. I only ate half of it, which was a nice meal. The second half is going to be dinner tonight, maybe with an added egg or something because there's not much fish left.

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

Woke up with my back hurting a lot this morning, although it's eased off now that I'm moving around.

I was doing well food-wise for most of the day, but then I was really tired in the evening and kept snacking on junk. Oh well.

I did my AM PT yesterday, but only did the easiest bits of the PM because I could already tell my back was going to be bad this morning.

I wrote a 1000 word short story last night :joyous: .

Mini goal for today: clean up the living room so I can put up Christmas decorations. I'm kind of limited, since I can barely bend over, but I should be able make it look better than it is now.

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

Ate very badly yesterday. Lots of junk foor, not evough fruits and veggies. I'm back to work today, though, so the day's structure should help me stay on track.

Did AM PT today

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

Diet: Very good. I had one day last week where I ate about 500-600 calories of baklava, but otherwise I've been eating healthy, with no more than about 150 calories of dessert per day (about 10% of total calories). A pair of pants I'd barely been able to button is now only slightly too tight, and I can zip my favorite leather jacket up over a sweater again.  I'm walking about 8000-12000 steps per day, and eating about 1500 calories, give or take a hundred. I haven't been having any cravings eating this much- the days I struggle are when I've eaten less than 1400, and don't have enough healthy snacks lying around, so I eat what I do have, like baklava.

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

PT:

I've been doing the stretches at least once a day, and usually twice. Strength exercises have been 2-3 times a week, mostly. I haven't been recording it consistently, so I'm not sure. Also, I do a  lot of the strength over the course of the day, rather than in fixed sets, so it's harder to track.

Progress: My back definitely feels better. I've been able to roll over the last couple nights with no pain, and most days by late afternoon, there's no pain at all if I've been getting up and moving during the day. Still hurts in the morning, but even then, I can bend over without much problem, and even getting up isn't killing me.

My foot is still about the same. When I stretch it before getting out of bed, it doesn't hurt to stand first thing in the morning, but walking half a mile always makes it hurt, even with good sneakers. Without good sneakers, it's enough to keep me from walking at all. I'll give it until Christmas, then make another doctor's appointment about it.

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

Life:

I've been really tired, and have hardly been writing at all. I have done a little, so not a complete failure.

I've put together a short but growing list of poorly written websites, and have started drafting letters proposing I edit or rewrite them. I'll start sending them out after the holidays: I figure that more small business will be ready for something new right after the holidays, rather than in the middle of the season. So the start my own business is moving slowly but steadily forward.

I think I'd have done better on t his goal id I slept more. Something to work on next time.

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges: