Hello, 

I'm Jess and I'm from the UK. I've tried many times to lose weight and get healthy with mixed results. I've had problems with my digestion for the past few years and I've recently reintroduced eating wheat based products to my diet that has helped me lose 3 lbs (which I think my be due to increased fiber in my diet.)

I am 5'4.5" and I currently weigh 203 lbs. This is getting close to the most that I have weighed ever and I am between a UK 16 and UK 18 dress size. I have mild asthma which I think is due to my weight gain as it has only appeared in the past three years. I am 30 years old and I am sick of trying  yo yo diets and being tired all the time. I want to get fit and lose weight. I am hoping that by signing up to this site I can achieve that.

I started a food log on the 1st of December as I want a clear picture of what I'm eating so I know where to start making changes. I know that Christmas season is probably not the best time of year to start but I am really sick of putting things off. It has become next week and next month for the last time.

I've read up on a lot of things regarding diets and eating plans and there is too much information out there. I really am at a loss of where to start. My GP told me I should look into swimming and just eat things that don't irritate my stomach, but there is no pool that I can get to where I am within walking distance.

My boyfriend says he also wants to eat healthier but I think my odd eating plans in the past have made him skeptical and he wants to eat "normal food". We are students so we don't have the best budget but I do enjoy cooking and I'm not afraid to experiment.

The plus side is that my University has a free Gym membership that I want to utilize but again I'm not sure how. It has machines and free weights but the people at the gym are not the most helpful and when I went there for a "personal assistant plan" they told me to just use the rowing machine for ten minutes three times a week. Which I only managed to keep up for a week before I quit.

Is there any newbie advice or threads or topics I should look into? I really want to make real changes this time.

Thanks for reading 

TLDR: Girl wants to get of the diet wheel and make real changes but doesn't know where to start

Battle log: Alias Investigations

Current Challenge Case 2

Study Hall

Hey!

I know I can really get overwhelmed and demobilized by all the info and different opinions on the internet. I try to remind myself that:

1. Doing ANYTHING is better than nothing. Go for a 5 minute walk. Do 3 sets of 3 crunches or any exercise. Do one set.

2. It's more about building habits slowly over time. Do something small every day and let yourself be off the hook after you so it. A bit of exercise or a healthy choice at a meal time, whatever!

I think there's very solid nutrition and fitness guidance and advice with the Nerd Fitness Academy. Ask for it for Christmas! I promise I don't work here. I think they personally overdo the paleo-ish nutrition advice. I am sure it works wonders but I don't think it's the only way to eat healthy at all (not that they claim otherwise). Anyways, be kind to yourself and have fun!

Completed Quests:

Hello, 

I'm Jess and I'm from the UK. I've tried many times to lose weight and get healthy with mixed results. I've had problems with my digestion for the past few years and I've recently reintroduced eating wheat based products to my diet that has helped me lose 3 lbs (which I think my be due to increased fiber in my diet.)

I am 5'4.5" and I currently weigh 203 lbs. This is getting close to the most that I have weighed ever and I am between a UK 16 and UK 18 dress size. I have mild asthma which I think is due to my weight gain as it has only appeared in the past three years. I am 30 years old and I am sick of trying  yo yo diets and being tired all the time. I want to get fit and lose weight. I am hoping that by signing up to this site I can achieve that.

I started a food log on the 1st of December as I want a clear picture of what I'm eating so I know where to start making changes. I know that Christmas season is probably not the best time of year to start but I am really sick of putting things off. It has become next week and next month for the last time.

I've read up on a lot of things regarding diets and eating plans and there is too much information out there. I really am at a loss of where to start. My GP told me I should look into swimming and just eat things that don't irritate my stomach, but there is no pool that I can get to where I am within walking distance.

My boyfriend says he also wants to eat healthier but I think my odd eating plans in the past have made him skeptical and he wants to eat "normal food". We are students so we don't have the best budget but I do enjoy cooking and I'm not afraid to experiment.

The plus side is that my University has a free Gym membership that I want to utilize but again I'm not sure how. It has machines and free weights but the people at the gym are not the most helpful and when I went there for a "personal assistant plan" they told me to just use the rowing machine for ten minutes three times a week. Which I only managed to keep up for a week before I quit.

Is there any newbie advice or threads or topics I should look into? I really want to make real changes this time.

Thanks for reading 

TLDR: Girl wants to get of the diet wheel and make real changes but doesn't know where to start

Don't worry about eating plans so much as just make sure you get lots of protein, fruits, and veggies, and make sure you have some grains (you seem like me- like you need grains in your diet). Find recipes that are easy, cheap, and have all of these things. If you want some recipes, try here. It's my personal google drive folder of recipes, and they're primarily fairly healthy. I get a lot of them from the Campfire thread in the Rangers challenge forum!

Swimming is great, but if you can't get to a pool easily, there are other things. What you should really look into is what do you, and your partner enjoy? Do you prefer bodyweight workouts? Do you like lifting? Would you rather do yoga? Are you a runner?

On the main nerdfitness.com site there is a TON of information in the blogs. Everything from recipes and shopping list help to form instruction and workout ideas. 

Most importantly, like dncahn said, make small changes, anything is better than nothing, and BE KIND TO YOURSELF. It takes time, and a lot more of it than you'd think. But it helps so much. Every little decision adds up.

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

Thank you for the replies especially the recipes I'm looking forward to looking through those. 

In the summer we used to enjoy going for walks in the evening but as its cold and miserable at the moment I'm not to keen to bring back that tradition just yet. I like the idea of body weight training and yoga but i don't feel that i'm at a stage where I can do that just yet, it seems kinda impossible actually. 

I've been looking through the other stuff on here that's not fitness related and I quite like the idea of having an epic quest/ bucket list . I also think i want to start a battle log diary, but that might have to wait until my posting stops being restricted :3

• Like 2

Battle log: Alias Investigations

Current Challenge Case 2

Study Hall

hey you can totally do bodyweight exercises - there is nothing wrong or weak at all about doing pushups with your hands on a chair, kitchen counter or wall.  so many bodyweight exercises can scale to easier versions - if you google "pushup progression" or any exercise, you will get lots of advice.  

anyways good luck! :)

Completed Quests:

When I started the bodyweight workout, I did wall pushups :)

But in reality, starting with just cleaning up your diet is a great place to start making things better. If you wanna wait on working out until you feel like you've got a handle on other things, that's great :) small, sustainable changes are the important part!

Sent from my phone so please excuse the autocorrect errors

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63