• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rurik Harrgath

Help the Rangers Save Christmas: The Winter Break 2015 Mini-Challenge

I need a theme to stay focused, so my theme was looking for trios.

Since this is a short one with 3 goals, I had to use a lesser known cartoon with 3 heroes

Smart thinking you two... I'll have to give this a little thought before I post, but I'm totally digging everyone's goals and plans to crush the holiday woes and stay on track. Most excellent.

Biker Mice from Mars.... OMG. I do remember that. Ok, that just gave me an idea! I like the cartoon approach, D_R!

Granted, this is a foursome, I'll make it work somehow.

mummies_alive__by_blckfeather-d7lx2cw.jp

Mummies Alive! I loved this show. It's about 4 mummies that come to life during modern times to protect the reincarnation of Prince Rapses, a pharaoh from ancient Egypt. They summon the power of Ra to transform into spirit animals that are linked to Egyptian Gods: the falcon, snake, ram, and cat. I will call upon my own power of Ra to get through this mini successfully. 

Goal One:  You’ll likely be traveling to and from friends and family around Christmastime, creating stress and limiting your ability to stick to your fitness routines.  What are your healthy activity and/or fitness plans for the holidays?

(Rath and Nefer-Tina) Goal#1: Rath harnesses the power of the snake and is the intelligent one of the group but also a skilled swordsman. He also likes to dabble in magic and can turn is sword into a snake and create other magical incantations. Nefer-Tina harnesses the power of the cat and is agile with her whip but also very skilled at driving. She had to hide the fact she was woman in ancient Egypt so she could race chariots-true story.

• I will use Rath and the power of the Snake to practice sword play 3x a week for at least 15 minutes. This can also be replaced with shovelglove 3x a week.
  • I will use the Nefer-Tina and the power of the Cat to get used to all the driving I will have to do going to see family. Having a split/blended family makes for some stressful holiday driving, especially with cranky, sleepy kiddos hooping and hollering in the back seat. I had 4 Thanksgivings, likely, I'll have 4 Christmas's as well. So, pedal to the medal-don't stress about driving, it's part of the inevitable of the holiday season. Practice box-breathing for a minimum of 10-min a day to deal with the BS.

Goal Two:  Christmas and winter often bring with them the opportunity for gorging oneself on comfort food and all of those delicious seasonal favorites.  What is your strategy for dealing with the influx of unhealthy food over the winter break?

(Armon) Goal#2: Armon harnesses the power of the ram and is the brute/tank of the group. He also LOVES to eat. He his missing his right arm that he lost when fighting for the Pharaohs army but regains a golden arm that he uses when he transforms. He also used to be Prince Rapses' combat teacher in ancient Egypt.

• I will use Armon and the power of the Ram to charge my way through abundance of food I will come across. And by charge, I mean make good choices. I generally don't eat bad, but sometimes I just do. Stick to the 80/20 rule during the holidays and don't give in to the sinful nature of a food orgy...no matter how hot the food is! (I also have Tank on stand-by for more motivation.)

Goal Three:  The holidays are all about spending time with family and enjoying yourself.  Base this goal around how you intend to most enjoy the break (perhaps featuring a new activity like Holiday Light rucking), and include your preferred way of battling holiday stress!

(Ja Kal) Goal#3: Ja Kal harnesses the power of the falcon. Ja Kal is the leader and my absolute favoirte of the group. He used talon'd gloves and a bow for his weapon as well as wings to fly around like a badass. Back in ancient Egypt, he was a hunter and had a wife and small son. He's like a father figure to Prince Rapses and is constantly putting others needs before his own. He is a Ranger and a damn good one at that.

• I will use Ja Kal and the power of the Falcon to enjoy my time with my family and experiencing the joy of watching my kids open presents and the way there little faces light up. Quality time with them is key! Make sure and take lots of pictures over the holidays! 
  • Also, once things are simmered down, I will be visiting Obstacle Warrior for a hardcore training session! I'll make use of my wings and my talons to power through that bad boy!

Well, now, that was a lot of fun and I finally got to do a Mummies Alive! theme :)

Wolf

• Like 9

I'm actually not expecting to be too badly thrown out of my routine, since the parkour gym is open every day I teach or normally go.  And the climbing wall is also open when I would normally go.  The only regularly scheduled thing I'll be missing is my hot yoga class.  Nevertheless, my plans are:

1a. Test drive the weighted vest I'm getting for xmas on both a ruck and on the climbing wall.

1b. Acquire at least 10 lifting points per week, where a point is gained for a full set x reps of any given lift.

1c. Finish Ranger Yoga (which will be explained later.  Should I post it in the PVPs, or should I just do a new thread in the Ranger guild?)

1d. Start taking care of my hands by sanding down the callouses and using a lot more moisturizer.  My hands have been ripping a lot more from parkour and climbing these days, and I need to curb that.

1e. Fully rest, other than light walking and stretching on Xmas eve and day.  I'm sure my body could use a couple days of rest in a row, but I never manage to rest that much.

2a. Not worry at all about having a food orgy on Xmas eve or day or new year's eve.  *shrug*  That's what holidays are for

2b. Eat mindfully the rest of the time.  I'm granting 3 days to the holiday season.  Not 2-3 weeks.

3a. Sleep.  Electronics off at 10 pm on weekdays and 11 pm on weekends.  Lack of sleep is at the root of a lot of anxiety issues for me, so I need to get it under control.  

3b. I'm going to have a lot of people visiting my house, which is currently a disaster.  Starting Dec. 14, I need to spend 1 hour every day cleaning, until the house is guest-ready.  After that point, spend whatever time per day that is needed to maintain a clean house.

3c. Relax and enjoy the holidays.  I tend to feel a need to be productive all of the time, such that carving a big block of time out for myself to play video games or to read makes me feel guilty and anxious.  I also have been in the bad habit of saying no to the kids when they want to play a game, since I have too many other things I need to get done.  I want a couple weeks of guilt-free relaxation and family time free of other distractions.  So, no pushing myself to work on Xcode.  No pushing myself to handle adulting tasks that can wait until after the kids are back in school.  

• Like 6

I wrote my current challenge for 8.5 weeks (which includes the first 10 days of the holiday challenge break) so I will follow through on my plan.  However I think that I can meet the three goals of this mini challenge with my plans!  The christmas break will be broken up thus:

Part A: Follow through with the current challenge and complete the tasks at outlined there with continued tracking and posting! 

Travel segment 1 = two hour drive, one overnight hotel and three plane segments to get to Hawaii: Food will be challenging so choose quality over quantity and I will have pre-packed snacks is needed.   Stretching and walking will be favored airport activities, I'll especially encourage the kiddos to join me!  Reading, movie watching and maybe finger knitting on the planes.

Vacation:  Relaxing on the beach is necessary!  But so is yoga with Minnie Mouse!  Walks on the beach, swimming, snorkling and if I get the urge I'll use the gym too!  Food needs to be with minimal indulgences as too much grains or sugars make me sick.  So smart food choices!!!   Sleep should be easy as we won't have our own bedroom at anytime so we will all go to bed at the same time!  I'm considering a fun run/fundraiser on Maui, but I'll see how I feel.   Overall it will be relaxing with movement for fun and not too much vegging out on the beach!  One day of travel with an island hop flight midway through the 10 days.  

beach-yoga-holiday-fuerteventura.jpg

Travel Segment 2 = three plane segments coming back with the middle being a red-eye back to the mainland.  Again eating clean, walking and stretching when the opportunity presents itself.  And not stressing the drive home from the airport.   

If the first 2016 challenge starts on Jan 4th then I jump right in refreshed and ready to go....  

• Like 4

All the childhood feels! I vaguely remember the biker mice, but I do remember Mummies Alive!, I just didn't watch it all the time.

All right, I'm joining this old school cartoon trend...

Mine is also a foursome, and one I watched a lot as a kid. I'm not entirely sure how popular it was, but I hope someone else remembers Street Sharks! Long story short, four brothers in search of their father get transformed by the evil Dr. Paradigm and his "Gene-Slammer" into shark/human hybrids. It's about as 90's cheesy as it gets with lots of 'bro'-ing and aquatic wildlife puns

hqdefault.jpg

Goal One: You’ll likely be traveling to and from friends and family around Christmastime, creating stress and limiting your ability to stick to your fitness routines. What are your healthy activity and/or fitness plans for the holidays?

Streex & Big Slammu - Streex (part Tiger shark) is known for his roller blading skills and rarely seen without them on while the youngest brother, Slammu (part Bull/Whale shark mix), attacks with his 'Seismic Slam' and is the strongest of the group. Combined, they make up the endurance and strength portions of my fitness goal for the break - Crossfit. Tonight is my intro class for the place that I'm joining. The first month is 3 foundations and unlimited classes (all newbies start this way), after that I will be signing up for the 3x/wk program. For that reason, this break is going to be used to get into a 3x/wk schedule.

Thankfully, I don't have to do much traveling, at least not more than I do on a daily basis for my work commute. I don't anticipate that any of the holidays will mess with my schedule all that much, I only have Christmas and New Years off with short days on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve.

Goal Two: Christmas and winter often bring with them the opportunity for gorging oneself on comfort food and all of those delicious seasonal favorites. What is your strategy for dealing with the influx of unhealthy food over the winter break?

Ripster - The eldest and most responsible, Ripster (part Great White) is known for his intelligence and thirst for knowledge. I will be using his 'take charge' attitude to keep my eating choices in check over the break. The only day I may give myself some leeway is Christmas Eve when my Grandmother cooks her traditional "Feast of the Seven Fishes" meal. I will be keeping a food log and working on cutting down my sugar intake.

Goal Three: The holidays are all about spending time with family and enjoying yourself. Base this goal around how you intend to most enjoy the break (perhaps featuring a new activity like Holiday Light rucking), and include your preferred way of battling holiday stress!

Jab - As Michelangelo is to TMNT, Jab is to Street Sharks. Lazy, goofy, and a bit clumsy, he (part Hammerhead) is the most laid back of the four. To keep the fun going and alleviate some stress through the holidays, I have a few activities I'd like to complete:

-Walk/Ruck/Hike in Wompatuck State Park. I've been wanting to do this for over a year and never got around to it. It's cold now, but as long as I'm bundled up that shouldn't be a problem. My original reason for going here was that this used to be the Hingham Naval Ammunition Depot Annex (what a mouthful). I learned last summer (2014) that there were a bunch of old abandoned Naval buildings there, along with over 100 naval bunkers ( still around, but most are filled with concrete). The UrbExer in me was excited by this, but alas, I'm too late now. A few days ago I did a bit of digging and found that all the buildings have since been torn down :( There might still be one or two remaining, and there's always the possibility that there are others on the land that no one really knows about, but I'm not ready to hike through brush and chance getting caught on rogue 60+yr old razor wire. The park is now filled will all kinds of hiking, walking, and biking paths.

-Paint Nite. I'd love to get another night out with my sister, or even just schedule one if there aren't any canvases we like in the time that she is home.

-Moar Knitting/Crochet, because it never gets old and I want to hone my skills.

-A little game time. I have so much more Fallout to play, but haven't had the time to get to it much. I want to set aside 1 night per week to really get some playing in.

I may or may not add to this list as I come up with other ideas. Tracking will be done in my soon to be up Battle Log.

• Like 6

I need a theme to stay focused, so my theme was looking for trios. The trio I decided upon was Harry, Ron and Hermione.

Well, that sounds familiar...

Brilliant done, Kat!  Good idea right there!

1c. Finish Ranger Yoga (which will be explained later.  Should I post it in the PVPs, or should I just do a new thread in the Ranger guild?)

1d. Start taking care of my hands by sanding down the callouses and using a lot more moisturizer.  My hands have been ripping a lot more from parkour and climbing these days, and I need to curb that.

2a. Not worry at all about having a food orgy on Xmas eve or day or new year's eve.  *shrug*  That's what holidays are for

2b. Eat mindfully the rest of the time.  I'm granting 3 days to the holiday season.  Not 2-3 weeks.

3c. Relax and enjoy the holidays.  I tend to feel a need to be productive all of the time, such that carving a big block of time out for myself to play video games or to read makes me feel guilty and anxious.  I also have been in the bad habit of saying no to the kids when they want to play a game, since I have too many other things I need to get done.  I want a couple weeks of guilt-free relaxation and family time free of other distractions.  So, no pushing myself to work on Xcode.  No pushing myself to handle adulting tasks that can wait until after the kids are back in school.  

Once again, Nym comes to the headspace rescue!  Some excellent holiday philosophies exhibited there.  One or two food orgies won't completely ruin your 2015 nor setback your 2016 goals.  Some fun ought to be had, but eat mindfully the rest of the time. 

Relax and enjoy yourself otherwise.  I feel like this ought to be on a banner or something.

• Like 4

My next couple of weeks will be flat out like a lizard drinking. With being the guy in the red suit and the summer school holidays starting on the 15th. Which means six kids at home for six weeks.

Goal one for me will be continuing the yoga stretches that I have been doing during work breaks and in the mornings. Then looking at my morning routines for workout times (yay summer).

Goal Two will be working on tracking my food consumption via MFP, with an eye primarily on my macros, especially my protein intake.

Goal Three is the most tricky. Apparently it is considered bad form to murder your own children, so I need to get some activities for them to do. I will be buying them some dive so we can do some tabletop rpg (probably D&D 3.5 or Pathfinder). We are already planning some pool trips and if the weather is pleasant enough some bushwalking and possible camping. Got those lovely Snowy mountains to check out.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 4

My plan:

A) I have to start my next challenge on an unofficial basis before the next Challenge - because it's a long-ranging one (ha! See what I did there?). So there will be that - starting on this great 10k run/walk programme which then hopefully can morph into a run/walk HM training programme.

B) I can go to the gym next week and possibly once the week after - then I'm going to do bodyweight workouts at home or in a local playground depending on the weather - only 1-2 a week realistically.

C) I'm going to keep a smile on my face. I'm 50-and-a-half, several friends have not even made it this far, every day is a bonus and I need to live it like that. Especially at Christmas.

• Like 5

I've got plans in place to make food for one brother and his family while I'm there.  They've been wanting to eat healthier with no real idea how to go about it, so I'm going to make them a big cheap pot of soup and some easy breakfast.  We'll see how that goes.  He's got 6 teenaged kids and I'm not sure how easy they'll be to please.

I really admire this. It's a worthy goal and it's brave!

Goal Three is the most tricky. Apparently it is considered bad form to murder your own children, so I need to get some activities for them to do. I will be buying them some dive so we can do some tabletop rpg (probably D&D 3.5 or Pathfinder). We are already planning some pool trips and if the weather is pleasant enough some bushwalking and possible camping. Got those lovely Snowy mountains to check out.

Yes, I think there are laws against that, even down under. Tiring them out sounds like a good strategy. Ideal if you can somehow get them to tire each other out while you sit down and have a beer :-)

• Like 5

Biker Mice from Mars.... OMG. I do remember that. Ok, that just gave me an idea! I like the cartoon approach, D_R!

Glad to see the inspiration bouncing back and forth. I love the Box Breathing goal, when you first mentioned it, it was about building endurance and being able to do things when gased out and short of breath. This time it's about keeping a cool head and dealing with the B.S. Brilliant, just brilliant.

All right, I'm joining this old school cartoon trend...

Oh wow, now I've started a trend? For a moment there I was afraid you people would use everything and I'd run out of cartoon themes for 2016, but fortunately I've never heard of Mummies Alive! and only vaguely remember Street Sharks as another toon piggybacking on the 90s TMNT popularity (and probably second-wave piggybacked later by the Maui and Sons clothing company).

Let's do this!

• Like 4

The fact that Ruth did Street Sharks when it was a toss up between Mummies Alive and Street Sharks for myself...Ahhh! I love it! Get out of my head, Ruth!! I loved that show! I used to own the toys too. You are just too awesome, Ruth :)

Glad to see the inspiration bouncing back and forth. I love the Box Breathing goal, when you first mentioned it, it was about building endurance and being able to do things when gased out and short of breath. This time it's about keeping a cool head and dealing with the B.S. Brilliant, just brilliant.

Preciate that a lot, D_R! As for some headspace "winter" cleaning, box breathing does wonders for me. Ever since Unbeatable Mind I've used box breathing for a LOT of stuff. You should implement that when you do your NF yoga ;) 

Oh wow, now I've started a trend? For a moment there I was afraid you people would use everything and I'd run out of cartoon themes for 2016, but fortunately I've never heard of Mummies Alive! and only vaguely remember Street Sharks as another toon piggybacking on the 90s TMNT popularity (and probably second-wave piggybacked later by the Maui and Sons clothing company).

Let's do this!

Most excellent! Yeah, we wouldn't want to steal all your kickass cartoons you're gonna bring to the table. Both Mummies Alive and Street Sharks were pretty good shows...nothing compared to the obsessive love I have for TMNT, but close. Another one I loved back in the day was this one:

That would be a fun one to do with "Ruriks Epic Fantasy RP" approach to challenges nowadays.

Wolf

• Like 1

The fact that Ruth did Street Sharks when it was a toss up between Mummies Alive and Street Sharks for myself...Ahhh! I love it! Get out of my head, Ruth!! I loved that show! I used to own the toys too. You are just too awesome, Ruth :)

Most excellent! Yeah, we wouldn't want to steal all your kickass cartoons you're gonna bring to the table. Both Mummies Alive and Street Sharks were pretty good shows...nothing compared to the obsessive love I have for TMNT, but close.

BAHAHA! Apparently we share a brain, Wolife  ;) I LOVED Street sharks and TMNT, so much so that I used to play pretend with the TMNT guys.

I gotta say, that box breathing sounds interesting. Never heard of it before, but I did some reading about it - might have to give it a try sometime.

• Like 2

Everyone's wonderful goals are just giving me so many more new ideas!  I might have to go back and run my initial post through the Ranger Editing Machine...

Oh wow, now I've started a trend? For a moment there I was afraid you people would use everything and I'd run out of cartoon themes for 2016, but fortunately I've never heard of Mummies Alive! and only vaguely remember Street Sharks as another toon piggybacking on the 90s TMNT popularity (and probably second-wave piggybacked later by the Maui and Sons clothing company).

Though I'm not hopping on board with the cartoon inspiration this time around, if I were to it would be Gargoyles all the way!

giphy.gif

• Like 8

Everyone's wonderful goals are just giving me so many more new ideas! I might have to go back and run my initial post through the Ranger Editing Machine...

Though I'm not hopping on board with the cartoon inspiration this time around, if I were to it would be Gargoyles all the way!

giphy.gif

GARGOYLES!! Another of my favourites.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like 2

Srsly. Y'all are breaking my brain and killing my (admittedly waning) work attention span. 

Every time this thread pops up in my email, I get the theme songs for either: Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, or Gummy Bears stuck in my head. 

Thx. 

;p

• Like 5

giphy.gif

And that's why you're awesome!  I'm in the middle of re-watching the series with my kids, now that they are finally old enough to enjoy it.  :)

• Like 7

And that's why you're awesome! I'm in the middle of re-watching the series with my kids, now that they are finally old enough to enjoy it. :)

Haha, OMG.. I forgot about Gargoyles too!!! I was totally a huge fan and used to climb trees and pretend I was one of them! I loved Goliath but Brooklyn was my fav! Where are you watching the TV series Nym? I would love to re-watch them!

And Foxxy....

200w.gif

What about this:

max1.jpg

Or this:

mighty_ducks_animated_by_eeni-d8c34kr.jp

God, I love cartoons.

Wolf

"Let the Boomstick do the talking."

• Like 7

Haha, OMG.. I forgot about Gargoyles too!!! I was totally a huge fan and used to climb trees and pretend I was one of them! I loved Goliath but Brooklyn was my fav! Where are you watching the TV series Nym? I would love to re-watch them!

I have the first season on DVD.  All of the episodes are on youtube, so at the very least you could watch them there.  They're sadly not on Netflix.  I'll admit that I'm a horrible person, but I totally love Xanatos and Fox.  ;)  (and yes, Fox is also on the short list of characters I would consider cosplaying).  

• Like 6

Lucky you Nymeria, I am still on Sophia the First and Jake and the Neverland Pirates.

I feel your pain, although I'd take Sophia and Jake over Dora any day.  That show was so awful.  I'm not sure how old your kids are, but it seemed like sometime around 4-5 years old was when mine wanted to watch "real" shows and not the little kid shows. 

• Like 5

@Wolf: lols. Those are some pretty great duck/not duck s. 

GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMY BEAAAAAAAARRRRRRRSSS - I am going to regret looking up the theme song

And your Mighty Max reminded me of another favorite - Danger Mouse

And who could forget Inspector Gadget

Dammit. The Ducktales theme is back in my head at full volume. 

• Like 8

GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMY BEAAAAAAAARRRRRRRSSS - I am going to regret looking up the theme song

And your Mighty Max reminded me of another favorite - Danger Mouse

And who could forget Inspector Gadget

Yes.

I loved Gummy Bears and Duck Tales.  

But what about Shera?  I still watch the crap out of that on Saturdays when no one else is awake.  Knitting, cat on lap, coffee and Shera.  

giphy.gif

• Like 6

GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMY BEAAAAAAAARRRRRRRSSS - I am going to regret looking up the theme song.

And your Mighty Max reminded me of another favorite - Danger Mouse.

And who could forget Inspector Gadget?

Duck Tales!! Haha. OMG, this trip down old cartoon memory lane is terrific. It makes me feel 7 years old again!

Duck Tales, a Woo Eww! Lol. I remember Danger Mouse, Inspector Gadget And Gummy Bears!

Y'all remember Swat Kats?? Loved that show too.

swat_kats_by_blackwingedheart87-d2z3o0e.

See what you started, D_R!! ;)

Wolf

"Let the Boomstick do the talking."

• Like 4