• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rurik Harrgath

Help the Rangers Save Christmas: The Winter Break 2015 Mini-Challenge

I used to get unreasonably rage-filled regarding She-ra. Something about her just pissed my little brain right off as a kid. 

I hadn't seen it in years then it was on Netflix awhile back and I watched.  I laugh  through the whole thing.  Its good times.  

As a kid, I was mostly just pissed that my She-ra toy was about 2 inches tall while my brothers He-man toys were almost Barbie shoulder height.  She-ra had to work much harder to destroy my brothers troops.

• Like 2

I think I saw Swat Cats a time or two. 

As for He-Man, my Barbies (and Michael Jackson) rode Battlecat around, because while my Battlecat was Barbie-sized, my set of He-Man figurines were all much smaller (I had the battle damage set). 

• Like 4

Dragon Tales was my jam as a kid. (I have apparently been into dragons for forever, and just never realized it till I was older.)

dragontales.gif

And Pokemon, of course!

pokemon.jpg

• Like 3

Barbie was always the giant destroying the other toys villages with her strangely stabby pointed toes.  I think most of our other toys were much smaller than her.  I don't remember anything her same height that wasn't a barbie accessory.

I was always sad when I got a barbie and my brothers got an Atari or computer game.  But I somehow managed to kick their buts on the Knight Rider game my first time out, so I remember really enjoying that.

• Like 4

Duck Tales!! Haha. OMG, this trip down old cartoon memory lane is terrific. It makes me feel 7 years old again!

Duck Tales, a Woo Eww! Lol. I remember Danger Mouse, Inspector Gadget And Gummy Bears!

Y'all remember Swat Kats?? Loved that show too.

swat_kats_by_blackwingedheart87-d2z3o0e.

See what you started, D_R!! ;)

Wolf

"Let the Boomstick do the talking."

I LOVED THAT SHOW!!!

Is anyone else old enough to remember these?

Dungeons-and-Dragons.jpg

star-wars-ewoks-20081001020100191-000.jp

The 80's were a great time to be a nerdy child.   ;)

I remember the top one, yes, but I can't recall the name of it for the life of me.

• Like 2

Smurfs, Saber Rider and the Star Sherrifs, Bravestarr, GI Joe, Transformers, She-Ra, He-Man, Jaycee and the Wheeled Warriors, BattleTech, Exo-Squad, I drank the TMNT koolaid like everyone else and still think it was a great show, I'm probably leaving several out. Nymeria's right, the 80's were a great time to be a kid. (Born in '81).

And let's not forget that Bugs Bunny cartoons were still on broadcast TV :D

• Like 9

Goal One:  I'm not planning on traveling, though I'll have family visiting (mostly to help watch the kids while they're out of school and I'm at work). I don't anticipate this interrupting my routine too terribly much, so mostly plan to stick to my prior plan: run 3x/week, and do strength training 3x/week.

Goal Two:  My diet is usually pretty good, but I do tend to grab convenience food (ie, prepacked microwaveable lunches and restaurant meals) too often.  My goal for this period is to bring a homemade snack and actual meal four days out of the week to work, so that I'm not relying on eating out or whatever I can grab from Target.

Goal Three:  I'm going to try to do a few things with the kids which we don't get a lot of opportunities to do - specifically ice skating, indoor rock-climbing, and laser tag.  My goal is to do at least two of these things each week with the kids. So tempted to say that buying a tree, hauling it home, setting it up, and decorating it counts towards this goal, because damn that thing is heavy.

Another one I loved back in the day was this one:

Holy crap, somebody else remembers that?!  BEST CAMPY SHOW EVER! I'm kind of glad I haven't ever seen it as an adult...it can just sit fondly in my memory and not be recognized as the horrible train-wreck which I'm sure it probably was.

• Like 3

Or this:

mighty_ducks_animated_by_eeni-d8c34kr.jp

MIGHTY DUCKS!  Yes!  I had myself convinced for almost a year that I was Wildwing.  Damn, I loved that show... and I was the only kid in Canada who didn't play hockey!

I have the first season on DVD.  All of the episodes are on youtube, so at the very least you could watch them there.  They're sadly not on Netflix.  I'll admit that I'm a horrible person, but I totally love Xanatos and Fox.   ;)  (and yes, Fox is also on the short list of characters I would consider cosplaying).  

No lie, I totally had a kid crush on Fox.  Major cartoon hotness there!

And Pokemon, of course!

pokemon.jpg

ERMAGERD PERKEMARN!

tumblr_lkptzyQVlI1qjae8bo1_400.gif

• Like 4

Wolfenstein, on 10 Dec 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

snapback.png

Another one I loved back in the day was this one:

Holy crap, somebody else remembers that?!  BEST CAMPY SHOW EVER! I'm kind of glad I haven't ever seen it as an adult...it can just sit fondly in my memory and not be recognized as the horrible train-wreck which I'm sure it probably was.

HAHA! Heck yeah..somethings are better left to the past. Just watching the trailer I'm like "Good God..."

MIGHTY DUCKS!  Yes!  I had myself convinced for almost a year that I was Wildwing.  Damn, I loved that show... and I was the only kid in Canada who didn't play hockey!

Lmao! I can imagine our little Rurik walking around, thrashing people with a golden hockey mask on! Wildwing was also my favorite as well. I would totally re-watch ALL of those.

where_are_they_now___wildwing_by_mdtas.j

And I don;t think anyone mentioned this show..maybe because it was obvious, but Thundercats. I'll cosplay Lion-O one of these days. Plus, Voltron!!! MAN, me and my dad would watch the crap outta Voltron back in the day!

voltron-unite-o.gif

Wolf

• Like 7

Smurfs, Saber Rider and the Star Sherrifs, Bravestarr, GI Joe, Transformers, She-Ra, He-Man, Jaycee and the Wheeled Warriors, BattleTech, Exo-Squad, I drank the TMNT koolaid like everyone else and still think it was a great show, I'm probably leaving several out. Nymeria's right, the 80's were a great time to be a kid. (Born in '81).

And let's not forget that Bugs Bunny cartoons were still on broadcast TV :D

I'm an '81-er too! Fun fact, here in the UK in the 80s, TMNT was called teenage mutant HERO turtles. The Mary Whitehouse bunch felt that "ninja" sounded too violent so they had to change it. Some of the TMNT toys got banned too.

Interested to know if any other countries got some of the British made cartoons from the 80s? Because if you guys didn't get to watch the awesomeness that was Danger Mouse and Count Duckula, you seriously missed out.

• Like 3

'Ooh crumbs chief' I remember Danger Mouse, and 'Duckypoos'. Australia got those on BBC Australia, I mean the ABC, grew up with all the Pommy classics of the seventies and eighties.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 1

Hi there. Hope it is alright if I hang out in the Ranger camp a bit. Being a sage elder, I decided to have my goals based on my favorite cartoon as a kid

land-of-the-lost.jpg

Land of the Lost details the adventures of the Marshall family (father Rick, and his children Will and Holly) who are trapped in an alternate universe inhabited by dinosaurs, a primate-type people called Pakuni, and devolved, aggressivehumanoid/lizard creatures called Sleestak.

Goal #1: Dinosaur fighting: How I will keep in shape over the Holidays

Week One is my deload: walking, shovelglove or kettlebell stuff if I want, week 2 and 3: Family is in town and hubby is home; but I will try to get 3 workouts  a week in and hopefully some geocaching and rucking too.

Goal #2: figuring out how to eat well despite living in an alternate Universe:

Christmas is full of lots of special goodies, and it is an easy time to overeat. But if I restrict myself too much I get grumpy. Week 1 : track food, weeks 2 and 3; realize it is an alternate universe and enjoy the time, but remembering that when I get home, I want to be able to show off my new muscles I gained while fighting dinosaurs.

Goal  #3: Enjoying the alternate universe:

Just this; no big goals, just enjoying my family, playing some, staying up late and sleeping in, drinking hot chocolate,playing board game. Allowing myself to pause and enjoy life without holding myself accountable to any big goals

• Like 5

Goal One:  I couldn't reach my 6 week challenge goals yet so I'll continue during Christmas time. The gym will be open at weird hours and will be closed many days so I will focus on bodyweight exercices I can do from home. I always wake up 1-2h before the gf so that will give me some quiet time to do all that in the livingroom.

Goal Two:  At christmas all our big meals will be potluck with friends. There will be tons of bad food and tons of good food. I'll make sure to eat at home before to get there so I don't have to take too much from the party table. And once there, I'll focus on the good stuff.

Goal Three:  I'm staying home for christmas and will only visit the family later in January or February. This gives me 10 days off with an empty schdule to fill with whatever I like. I'm thinkng about some fishing, visiting friends.... stuff like that. All I want is no schedule so I can do things the way I want, when I want, without rushing. Oh and to not stress after christmas, I'm not spending more during that time than I would have at any other time of the year

• Like 3

Hi there. Hope it is alright if I hang out in the Ranger camp a bit. Being a sage elder, I decided to have my goals based on my favorite cartoon as a kid

Couldn't be more pleased to host you for so long as you wish to stay!

• Like 2

Ok, this is my attempt at this challenge !!

Goal One

I'm not traveling this year, except for the 2 nights i'll be  at my mom's with my kid around Christmas... i don't know if that counts ;) well anyway, i shall stick with the primal blueprint fitness philosophy during the Christmas holidays : 3 bodyweight work outs per week, between 3-5 hours of moderate exercise per week (i use a pedometer : it means i'll have at least  3 days at 10000+ steps - with a rucking session stuck somewhere in it, plus maybe bike or run or a swim if i feel like it or have the opportunity)

Goal Two

Ok, that's the tricky one. I'll allow myself 3 "special" meals : 1 on Christmas Eve, one on Christmas Day, one on New Year's Eve. But you rangers will be clear with me : IT DOES NOT MEAN I AM ALLOWED TO BINGE !!! since these 3 meals are family meals, i don't want to be the mood killer, and i want to enjoy the period specialties without caring about macronutrients, or else. But i'll stick to my personal R2D2 voice in my head which is called "appetite" !

Chocolate temptation is a bit trickier. i don't know if i'll be given any christmas chocolates (french tradition, i don't know if its the case elsewhere), but if i am, i shall eat no more than one per day, and they will replace my usual ration which is 10-20g dark 90% chocolate. 

Goal Three

Well, i have a week off, with my daughter, so i plan to sleep (a bit) later, whick basically means i'll use her as my natural alarm clock ! chill out in the mornings, go to the movies, the swimming pool, have a stroll with her at the local Christmas fair, enjoy the Christmas evening lights, and play a lot. I will obviously see my family (which life has let me very small : my mother, my sister, her husband, my niece and my grandmother) and enjoy being with them. For New Year's Eve, i'll go the a party at a friend's place, nothing fancy, just a nice dinner with a few people

so... see ya on the other side !

• Like 4