Help the Rangers Save Christmas: The Winter Break 2015 Mini-Challenge

Rurik Harrgath

Yay a mini-'break-week'-challenge!

Commenting to subscribe and then come back tomorrow to read everyone's goals.
I'm (very) late to this 6WC, so instead of just hanging around waiting for the first one next year (and inevitably forgetting about it and arriving late to that one too) I've started a mini Fallout themed challenge (link in sig). Glad to know I won't be the only one around over the holiday break ^_^

ae796c.gif

• Like 5

Okay, here are my goals for the mini. I'll keep tracking in my current thread till zero week hits and the new boards go up. My progress bars, however, will stay as they are for now. I'll reset them when zero week hits.

Goal One:  You’ll likely be traveling to and from friends and family around Christmastime, creating stress and limiting your ability to stick to your fitness routines.  What are your healthy activity and/or fitness plans for the holidays?

I'll not be going out of town. I'm off Christmas Eve and work 7am to 1pm on Christmas day. I don't know yet what extended family is doing, but I'll be spending time with them. I'll stick to my regular routine for the first week, three lift days and three run days. The second week I'm going to do 6 yoga days and give running and lifting a break to engage in some active recovery. The next week, whether that ends up being zero week or not, I'll go back to running and lifting. I also plan on keeping up with my domestic rangering.

Goal Two:  Christmas and winter often bring with them the opportunity for gorging oneself on comfort food and all of those delicious seasonal favorites.  What is your strategy for dealing with the influx of unhealthy food over the winter break?

I'll stick with my regular cook paleo and no more than three variances a week formula for success.

Goal Three:  The holidays are all about spending time with family and enjoying yourself.  Base this goal around how you intend to most enjoy the break (perhaps featuring a new activity like Holiday Light rucking), and include your preferred way of battling holiday stress!

I don't really stress about the holidays. I'll just do what I normally do, and enjoy life. I have a zoo membership with the local Zoo, I might go on one of my days off. I will probably also do a ride along with my officers (I'm a volunteer police chaplain) during the break as well, more than one if I can help it.

• Like 7

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Let's see what I can do with the holiday season.

Goal One:  You’ll likely be traveling to and from friends and family around Christmastime, creating stress and limiting your ability to stick to your fitness routines.  What are your healthy activity and/or fitness plans for the holidays? The first two weeks of the break I will be at home and will continue my exercises as I am right now. However, I will be out of town the last week. I'm hoping to get my usual runs in, and since the route takes my by a park I will try to get some exercise in there. I will also do some short exercises on all of the other days.

Goal Two:  Christmas and winter often bring with them the opportunity for gorging oneself on comfort food and all of those delicious seasonal favorites.  What is your strategy for dealing with the influx of unhealthy food over the winter break? The first two weeks will also be pretty easy meal wise. The third week won't be. The house I am staying at always has candy floating around so I will tell myself I don't eat candy. Another big problem is I eat breakfast, but they often don't. That means I end up browsing the cupboards for something to eat and the last several times that ended up being cereal and very expired vanilla wafers, which I didn't get sick from. That ought to say something about how bad they are. I never know if there's going to be any breakfast or not each day. So, I'm not quite sure how to best that one. Also, there will be a lot of eating out. I can handle it pretty well at a sit down restaurant (except for breakfast, I'm a sucker for french toast) but I don't know how to handle fast food restaurants, which I can guarantee there will be.

Goal Three:  The holidays are all about spending time with family and enjoying yourself.  Base this goal around how you intend to most enjoy the break (perhaps featuring a new activity like Holiday Light rucking), and include your preferred way of battling holiday stress! I have a long list of things I want to do over the break. They involve learning a song on the piano and guitar, drawing, games, writing, and painting. I just hope I can get at least 90% of them finished. That would be so awesome!

• Like 2

Ranger - Level 7

My Character

Current Challenge

Couldn't be more pleased to host you for so long as you wish to stay!

Welcome aboard!

Thanks

c6d9b832e3c03ed2664d8a3f542469dcbc896c9c

• Like 4

Wisdom- 13.5 Dexterity- 10 Charisma- 11 Strength- 12 Constitution-10 

Elastigirl Just Living Life - January 3 to February 6 New Year Challenge! - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"The chief goal of living is not to merely stay alive" Mike Rowe

For a moment there I was afraid you people would use everything and I'd run out of cartoon themes for 2016

Though I'm not hopping on board with the cartoon inspiration this time around, if I were to it would be Gargoyles all the way!

200w.gif

And who could forget Inspector Gadget

Dammit. The Ducktales theme is back in my head at full volume. 

Smurfs, Saber Rider and the Star Sherrifs, Bravestarr, GI Joe, Transformers, She-Ra, He-Man, Jaycee and the Wheeled Warriors, BattleTech, Exo-Squad, I drank the TMNT koolaid like everyone else and still think it was a great show, I'm probably leaving several out. Nymeria's right, the 80's were a great time to be a kid. (Born in '81)

And I don;t think anyone mentioned this show..maybe because it was obvious, but Thundercats. I'll cosplay Lion-O one of these days. Plus, Voltron!!! MAN, me and my dad would watch the crap outta Voltron back in the day!

Interested to know if any other countries got some of the British made cartoons from the 80s? Because if you guys didn't get to watch the awesomeness that was Danger Mouse and Count Duckula, you seriously missed out.

That's what I was talking about. All the bolded ones are candidate 2016 themes for my challenges :DB)

• Like 2

Lvl 44 Ranger

HEY! DO YOU LIKE CHEESE?

My battle log is here.

NGkjmmY.png#1 Keeping up fitness routines while travelling.

Strength is the priority, planning to go to the small local gym but bodyweight training is a backup. I think they do Pump classes but might not have power racks.

en7yTjO.png#2 Food

Staying paleo-ish while in my hometown and trying not to stress over not being perfect meal-wise - but no dessert food. I'm giving myself a day to eat whatever special holiday foods I feel like after I get back, so I don't need to make decisions on the spot while surrounded by Christmas food and judgemental relatives.

Zf93Bld.png #3 Enjoying the Holiday

I'll be spending some time in nature, bushwalking or swimming. And maybe climbing a (small) mountain with one of my best friends - that's sure to be an adventure.

Goal 1: Earn 5 "points" of activity time per week. 1 point is earned for every 15 minutes of dedicated, constant activity, not just lame puttering about. This seems like a low amount to me, but I struggle with trying to do too much I think; and this is a test run, after all. So I'm starting low and I'll increase the number of points per week if needed.

I've been thinking about the points thing to allow more flexibility. One option I thought of is to have a minimum number of points per week and then bonus goals, so you can ride out off-weeks by meeting the minimum, but have something to strive for on weeks when you're crushing it. Your system sounds good too, it lets you build on a foundation.

• Like 8

2017: Year of the Epic Travel Adventure

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Current challenge - Metallica Theme

Previous: 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Battle log/inspiration thread

I'm giving myself a day to eat whatever special holiday foods I feel like after I get back, so I don't need to make decisions on the spot while surrounded by Christmas food and judgemental relatives.

[...]

I've been thinking about the points thing to allow more flexibility. One option I thought of is to have a minimum number of points per week and then bonus goals, so you can ride out off-weeks by meeting the minimum, but have something to strive for on weeks when you're crushing it. Your system sounds good too, it lets you build on a foundation.

Ooh, that's a great idea... I'll have to think about that. 

I like your idea of allowing yourself to eat whatever you want once you're back home. That is a really smart thing to do. 

• Like 4

dusk :: ranger

I'm jumping in as a sometimes Ranger to enjoy your company during these cold, dark days.  

Goal #1 - Keep up with routine while HOSTING family

We're not traveling, but it can be just as difficult to be a good host and still maintain your own routines, not knowing when people will show up etc.  

I have memberships at both the YMCA and local Anytime Fitness.  If nothing else goes to plan, I will at least walk 30+ minutes or 11+K steps each day.  But I have a new strength routine that I'm enjoying and plan to do that 3 times each week.  Plus my Zombies Run seasons and interval training for another 3 days each week.  So 9 EACH - strength training and ZR training sessions.  

Goal #2 - Manage food choices

Honestly, a lot of the food offerings just don't tempt me anymore, but I work at staying away from the buffet table and out TALKING to people when we do food events.  

At home - I think my big strategy is to eat reasonably and FREEZE THE REST.  It is not the single meal that defeats me .... it's the left overs, especially cookies, that drag out the temptation and add on the pounds.

Goal #3 - Active fun

Ok, still working on this one.  With rain and freezing rain the the forecast for the next couple of weeks, anything outdoors is going to be miserable.  Zumba and yoga at the Y are starting to look good.  [Pulling out the calendar]

Tracking .... in last challenge's thread.

• Like 10

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

I'm jumping in as a sometimes Ranger to enjoy your company during these cold, dark days.  

Goal #1 - Keep up with routine while HOSTING family

We're not traveling, but it can be just as difficult to be a good host and still maintain your own routines, not knowing when people will show up etc.  

I have memberships at both the YMCA and local Anytime Fitness.  If nothing else goes to plan, I will at least walk 30+ minutes or 11+K steps each day.  But I have a new strength routine that I'm enjoying and plan to do that 3 times each week.  Plus my Zombies Run seasons and interval training for another 3 days each week.  So 9 EACH - strength training and ZR training sessions.  

Goal #2 - Manage food choices

Honestly, a lot of the food offerings just don't tempt me anymore, but I work at staying away from the buffet table and out TALKING to people when we do food events.  

At home - I think my big strategy is to eat reasonably and FREEZE THE REST.  It is not the single meal that defeats me .... it's the left overs, especially cookies, that drag out the temptation and add on the pounds.

Goal #3 - Active fun

Ok, still working on this one.  With rain and freezing rain the the forecast for the next couple of weeks, anything outdoors is going to be miserable.  Zumba and yoga at the Y are starting to look good.  [Pulling out the calendar]

love the freezing leftovers idea. It is the leftovers that get me too.

• Like 1

Wisdom- 13.5 Dexterity- 10 Charisma- 11 Strength- 12 Constitution-10 

Elastigirl Just Living Life - January 3 to February 6 New Year Challenge! - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"The chief goal of living is not to merely stay alive" Mike Rowe

Here are my goals for the mini. I am really going to be playing around with workouts and diet while meeting the basic goals. I am on vacation for weeks 2 and 3 so this will be a good opportunity to test things out.

Goal One:  You’ll likely be traveling to and from friends and family around Christmastime, creating stress and limiting your ability to stick to your fitness routines.  What are your healthy activity and/or fitness plans for the holidays?

I don't travel for the holiday. I won't be working for weeks 2 and 3. I also have a (crappy) gym at my condo. Basically I have no excuse for not sticking to and improving on my workout routine.

My goal: Get at least 11 workouts in. It doesn't matter what the workout as long as it lasts for at least 40 minutes.

Goal Two:  Christmas and winter often bring with them the opportunity for gorging oneself on comfort food and all of those delicious seasonal favorites.  What is your strategy for dealing with the influx of unhealthy food over the winter break?

The wheels came off the bus a little toward the end of this past challenge in regards to my diet. I need to get back on track. I want to reduce my sugar intake as a larger goal moving forward and will be playing with this over the next few weeks. Each week of the mini I have 1 event so there is the challenge. Enjoy and participate without over indulging.

My goal: Log all meals in my food log. ALL meals. Stay within 1350 calories/day except on event days (that does not mean I can eat all the food.)

Goal Three:  The holidays are all about spending time with family and enjoying yourself.  Base this goal around how you intend to most enjoy the break (perhaps featuring a new activity like Holiday Light rucking), and include your preferred way of battling holiday stress!

The holidays are not a stressful time for me. Like I mentioned, I don't travel and won't be working. I do need some time to rest and recharge. I also use the time to get some adulting done (doctors appointments and car inspection, etc.)

My goal: Read, knit, watch Netflix, play with the puppy and go to my doctors appointments.

• Like 5

Ranger/Recruit/Professional Do-gooder

Challenge #1Challenge #2, Challenge #3, Challenge #4, Challenge #5, Challenge #6

Challenge #7, Challenge #8Challenge #9, Challenge #10, Challenge #11,

Challenge #12, Challenge #13,  Challenge #14,

Challenge #15, Challenge #16 , Current Challenge

"The Hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy Summers

Goal One: Plan ahead. I currently have a Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday structured exercise routine schedule that's been working very well. Since Christmas falls on a Friday, this should make it easy to not skip any sessions. My sleep schedule will also be essential to this, so I'll be waking up and going to bed within an hour of the proper schedule during the traveling days (my travel plans only include day trips). 

Goal Two: My father bakes over a dozen different kinds of cookies for Christmas, so I know what I'm up against. I'll be allowing myself two meals that aren't "clean" per week, which will include Christmas dinners (since there's some cultural and traditional dishes involved). I will enjoy those meals, but not over-do it (eat slow and stop when I'm full). I plan to be mindful of what's around me, so I can avoid mindlessly munching on sugar.

Goal Three: Sewing! From my understanding, the week between Christmas and New Years is a paid holiday situation; I don't have to go to work. I'm hoping to use that free time to catch up on the sewing projects that I haven't had the time to complete. I also plan to socialize with my family, and will try to offer up as much POSITIVE conversation topics as possible. Also, what better way to relieve stress than to play board games and card games with the family?

Since I'm still chugging along at my current weight loss goal (with a new deadline), these goals should definitely help me stay on the rails in face of so much sugar.

• Like 3

Jumping over to the Ranger thread to keep my goals in mind over the holidays:

Strength train 3x a week! I am on a roll and don't plan to quit. My gym is open Christmas Day so the husband and I plan to hit it up between family visits. We might have to shift things around a bit but we have a plan to fit it all in. Otherwise I think the only other fitness activity to get in would be a 20 minute walk each day. That should be manageable no matter where we are.

I've already been consuming far more Christmas cookies then I normally do. So far the strategy is to send them to work with my husband as out of sight out of mind. Otherwise I want to continue to choose the veggie/high protein option first and then have a small serving of the rest. The big thing for me at the holidays is eating until I am far too full, so I will have some big meals....just not eat until I hate myself. As for alcohol. I will try to alternate between a drink and water, but that seems to get more difficult the more you drink.....

We're travelling, have all the gifts ready to go almost, and aren't hosting anyone so I feel like the stress will be on our families for hosting us! hah I hope to convince family members to take an after dinner walk. Otherwise there is lots of fun to be had and we hope to take a breather in between it all and after it is done. 

My husband and I also write down a list of fun things we did or accomplished for the past year as part of our New Year's celebrations and just for fun one session we want to attempt to lift our projected 1RM. It's obviously not how we train normally, but as a just for fun thing, we'll approach it carefully and have those numbers to compare to next year. 

I don't have a thread here so I will continue to post in my Warrior thread for the time being. 

• Like 4

Level 5 Warrior

Battle Log Challenge 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

On a Quest to Complete a Full Push Up....the Story of a Person who has Negligible Upper Body Strength

Chris-Tien Jinn, great to see you again. [emoji2]

Eureka enjoy your stay with the Rangers.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 3

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Goal One: I am fortunate that I won't be doing any traveling for the holidays. I tend to spend my holidays on my sofa, in my favorite pajamas watching bad Christmas movies. My plans are to conitnue with my rucking, maces and to start running as it'll tie in with my next set of challenges.

Goal Two: I have complete control over what I choose and I need to remember that. I will be cooking all my meals and eating before most parties so I am full and not wanting to gorge on cookies and fudge. I have given myself a pass for Christmas Day. I will eat whatever treats I desire, though not to excess. I will have a cup of hot chocolate. I will have a slice of the chocolate pie. And I will have a few cookies. Looking forward to these treats will make not having anything easier. And I will not feel guilty for what I do enjoy. Holidays come around once a year. If I deprive myself I just create resentment towards myself for not indulging. This means, knowing my mindset, I'll binge sooner or later. Rather then give in to that I'll restrain myself within reason but allow treats. Otherwise I will eat as I normally do. No gorging, eating only when hungry, and preparing meals that fit within my own personal guidelines.

Goal Three: My plan this holiday is to spend a few days enjoying some new books, staying in the house to avoid traffic, crazy travel and last minute shopping. I will read, relax and have fun. I'm even giving myself some time to video game. I'm not sure what, maybe some BlackOPs Zombies or some Sims household building or Destiny raiding but I'll be doing some of that.

• Like 3

Level 2 Elf Ranger

6 Dex, 11 Con, 2 Wis, 2 Cha, 4 Str

My Current Challenge

Past Challenges: 1/2/3

My Battle Log

Whoa, I am so late to arrive...   :)

Goal OneDo your workouts!

No skipping.  Yeah, Christmas Day is a workout day... Yeah, I've got time, make it happen, no traveling happening here.

Goal Two:  Behave.  

I'm not Paleo, not really IIFYM, but I've done all of the above.  The fact is...  I know what I should and shouldn't be eating/drinking.  Keep it reasonable.  Give yourself some leeway to enjoy a few special treats without guilt, just don't do it every day.  We're not much for New Years debauchery, so no problem there.

Goal Three:  Recreation and Relaxation.  

Yule shopping is already done.  Wrapping needs to happen this week as well as making up the scavenger hunt cards for the kids (clues, etc. already done).  We battle the Christmas crazies around here with classic Christmas movies, an annual jigsaw puzzle tradition, and hot cider.  Relaxation is my specialty...  I foresee no complication.   :)

I'll be tracking over on my thread from last challenge.

• Like 5

Rangering since Sept 2015

friends-harry-potter-hermione-granger-ro

Goal One – Quidditch Practice with Harry (1/10)
Keep up with my 5 day a week half marathon training plan. Accomplished a 3 mile run last night along with 100 weighted squats for my PvP.

Goal Two – Chocolate Frogs with Ron (1/14)
Log in to MFP daily and track my food, for better or for worst, as best I can. For the first time in months, I completed my log.

Goal Three – Study Time with Hermione (0/2)
Make two things for fun, for me, that aren’t holiday gifts already planned or stock for my blog store. No progress here last night. Still working on gifts...

• Like 5

Level 24 Frost Archer ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Current Challenge: therealkat :: a witty challenge title appears!

MyFitnessPal || Strava || Endomondo || SmashRun || Twitch

I Instagram. I tweet. I cosplay. And I'm on Facebook

Oh, yeah.  I almost forgot.  Not sure why, but my brain decided to track the break challenge on my battle log.  So here is the link and my goals if needed.

tumblr_nh4h622Ohv1txbexko1_250.gif

I'm just guessing we have 4 weeks until the next challenge, so I'll set up my math like that.

1:  I am going to shoot for minimum 2 lifts per week and 2 run/rucks.  More is good, but travel might get in the way.  Uncertain yet.  But as long as I get in 4 things each week, I'll be ok with that.  

2:  I want to focus on eating more vegetables.  Lots more vegetables.  And having a good breakfast everyday.  So for this I'll get 3 points a day, one for each meal.  

3: This one I'll track as it happens, but not really any goal in mind.  Just extra goodness, so it'll always be at 100% for holiday feel goodz.  I'm planning to ruck while walking with family, lift once with one of my brothers, yoga for myself as much as I can, and see about setting up a Just Dance drinking night at some point in there.  Because, yes.  

• Like 6

I'm using these goals as a more general goal and strategy over the off-weeks.  I'll have a PVP with the Doodlies with 2 specific goals planned for each week plus a randomly generated goal each week.  

Goal One (Fitness):  I have 1 week with no travelling and then 2 separate trips planned over the break.  When I am at home I plan to follow my same routine.  For travel I'll be bringing my rucksack and I think there is still a plan to pick up a 10# hammer on my way up north.  If the weather is decent, I'll get some rucking in, and I'll Shovelglove when I can't but at least SG every other day.   

Goal Two (Food):  Again, Week 1 should be as normal as possible.  Log all food and stick to current macros.  When travelling I just have to be mindful.  I'll continue to log food.  Breakfast is my friend.  Breakfast must be healthy.  I am OK skipping breakfast if IF seems appropriate.  In that case, whatever my first meal is must be healthy.  Christmas cookies is my biggest weakness.  On the days leading up to the holiday, they must be consumed minimally, and only after meals - not rather than.  On Christmas I make no promises.  

Goal Three (Cheer):  I'll be travelling with a couple books so if I need some downtime from family, I've got that... and Sims4.  I'll also try and stay caught up on threads to keep an eye on my goals and help others out and check in at the Yaks Head for some non-family de-stressing.  

tl;dr

Shovelglove

Rucking

Breakfast

NF FTW

Week 1 goals:

• Strength training x 3  (maybe start Strong Lifts??)
  • Stick to MFP macros x6
  • Walk/ruck as many km as possible - competing against another Doodlie
  • Plus whatever else Therealkat comes up with for the Battleship PVP.
  • Like 3

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

12/14 Update

Goal One: Monday was rest day, but stretching was done before work. Woke up and went to bed on time.

Goal Two: As clean as can be when going to an all-you-can-eat BBQ place. Skipped the sauce and made sure to get extra veggies.

Goal Three: No sewing done, as the husband and I spent the evening returning from the car shop (dropped off his project car for tuning), having dinner on the way home, then an early bedtime as both of us struggled to get sleep the night before.

• Like 3

Goal One:  My fitness goals for this mini-challenge will be similar to the goals I just finished with the 6WC. I will do some form of strength training regimen twice a week. Also, you have all intrigued me with this concept of rucking, so, twice a week, I will either go for a run or fill up a backpack with some bricks and head out. 

Goal Two:  My wife and I usually try to bring at least one item or dish to any gathering that we have prepared ourselves. It usually tends to be healthier than your typical holiday food offering, so if a get-together looks like it will be laden with less-than-ideal food, the meal won't be a total loss. One holiday favorite of mine is eggnog, but the stuff from the store can wreak some serious havoc. Luckily, I found a recipe that I would recommend to anyone looking for a healthier version: I give you bro-nog

Goal Three:  I am pretty blessed that the holidays for us are pretty stress free. My family and in-laws all get along fairly well, and there are rarely any dreaded conversations that I hear can come up at dinner tables. One thing I'd like to do is actively seek out any form of physical activity with my family members when we get together, whether it's chopping wood or helping clean the house up. That way, we can get the added bonus of burning some extra calories while still enjoying our time together. 

• Like 3

Level 13 Human Assassin

Introduction Battle Log Current Challenge

Previous Challenges: I, II, III, IV, VVI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

Goal One:  My fitness goals for this mini-challenge will be similar to the goals I just finished with the 6WC. I will do some form of strength training regimen twice a week. Also, you have all intrigued me with this concept of rucking, so, twice a week, I will either go for a run or fill up a backpack with some bricks and head out. 

Goal Two:  My wife and I usually try to bring at least one item or dish to any gathering that we have prepared ourselves. It usually tends to be healthier than your typical holiday food offering, so if a get-together looks like it will be laden with less-than-ideal food, the meal won't be a total loss. One holiday favorite of mine is eggnog, but the stuff from the store can wreak some serious havoc. Luckily, I found a recipe that I would recommend to anyone looking for a healthier version: I give you bro-nog

Goal Three:  I am pretty blessed that the holidays for us are pretty stress free. My family and in-laws all get along fairly well, and there are rarely any dreaded conversations that I hear can come up at dinner tables. One thing I'd like to do is actively seek out any form of physical activity with my family members when we get together, whether it's chopping wood or helping clean the house up. That way, we can get the added bonus of burning some extra calories while still enjoying our time together. 

+3 for linking an Art of Manliness Article.

• Like 5

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Oh I forgot I didn't put my plans on here:

I am just going to continue my plans as usual. Unfortunately I am working Xmas day and Xmas eve and Le Wife and kids are going to be in Houston to visit her cousins so 

my main goals for this break will be to keep rockin steady on my routine. I have been doing a DB only routine in the gym here at my apts.

So I will be doing my DB split 3X a week

In case anyone is curious what the routine is the link is here: http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/dumbbell-only-mass-workouts/ 

Doing my morning walk\run\ruck at least 2X a week

I have been waking up an hour earlier than I am supposed to(or want to) and just going for a couple mile walk while I listen to audio-books 

This really sets my day off on a good note and helps me focus the rest of the day

Go Scouting\Rangering

Since I will have more free time since the fam will be out of town I want to go exploring some good hiking spots here in Austin

As well as going somewhere I haven't been before

• Like 3

Losing fitness over the holidays? Ain't nobody got time for that. I have a race on January 24th, so I seriously cannot afford to fall off my training over the holidays. On top of that, my January race is just a C race (a stepping stone if you will) for races in February and March. So spending two weeks eating myself silly and lounging around could seriously throw off my entire racing season. I'm not wiling to let that happen.

On to the goals!

Goal One: What are your healthy activity and/or fitness plans for the holidays?

I'm going to stick to my running plan as outlined by my coach, this means getting up and running first thing in the morning before the family is awake. That way I can spend the majority of the days with them. I also plan on cross training and generally being active as much as possible, my typical swimming and weight training will be put on hold for 10 days, but I can swap in snow shoeing, skiing, walking, and other fun winter activities.

Goal Two: What is your strategy for dealing with the influx of unhealthy food over the winter break?

My goal is to give myself a free pass for two meals on Christmas and one meal on New Years Eve. No gorging myself, but I also don't have to think about what I'm eating then. The rest of the time I really want to focus on minimizing alcohol and sugar consumption. This is especially challenging because my parents stock lots of food that I never keep in my own apartment. The goal will be to eat as normal on days when it's not a special occasion. Keep treats as treats, not as constants. 

I already know I want to go skiing with my family and friends, snow shoeing with my mom, and maybe hiking or hitting the gym with my sister. I will try and make as many get-togethers active in some way (even if that's just shopping) and try to generate other suggestions for meeting locations that aren't bars or restaurants.

• Like 2

I haven't really posted my goals either. They are mainly a continuation of the goals from the last challenge:

Goal 1

3 run/walks per week. This should be achievable right through the holiday period unless the weather actually gets wintry (which would be nice in a way, I'm tired of dank and damp and rain).

Goal 2

2 strength workouts per week. This is easy this week, next week I can only go to the gym once, and I can't go at all in the week between Christmas and the New Year. However, I have my trusty gliders - I've just done 15 pike push-ups on gliders and that really did feel like a work-out. Throw in some mountain climbers etc, plus squats and lunges and that will be fine. There's also the playground option for doing inverted rows and the like if the weather is dryish.

Goal 3

Just spend quality time with family and friends, enjoy it and try not to get too stressed! And fit in a family trip to the pantomime. Oh no you wont! Oh yes I will!

I'm going to carry on posting on my current challenge thread.

• Like 4