Help the Rangers Save Christmas: The Winter Break 2015 Mini-Challenge

Rurik Harrgath

I'm just beginning to think about this now. I still owe a challenge wrap up, but I'll probably continue using that thread until the next cycle.

Goal 1

Basketball is going to be off for 2-3 weeks which will probably good for my left hip, but I need to make sure I still make time to keep up conditioning.

Goal 2

In general I'm going to eat as much as I can, but it's the leftovers and lazy eating on boxing day that I need to be stricter with and try and still eat some proper food in terms days following Christmas.

Goal 3

I'm going to have to give this some more thought.

"I knew he was bluffing"

• Like 3

Keeping an eye on this to slowly get the gumption to do it. I feel on the cusp of regressing from the progress on the 6WC.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Week #0Food logging: ☑☑☑ Movement☐☐☐☐☐

Week #1Food logging:  Movement☐☐☐☐

Week #2Food logging:  Movement☐☐☐☐☐

Week #3Food logging: ☐☐☐ Movement☐☐☐

Week #4Food logging: ☐☐☐☐☐ Movement☐☐☐☐☐

Previous challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #4.5 #5

Level 3 Lycan Ranger

Workout audiobook: Patriot Games

Looking for accountability buddies: Strava My FitnessPal Moov Google Fit

Nooooo don't regress! Come up with something to keep you busy but not something with a lot of pressure. It is still a break after all. I usually use the in-between time to "test drive" a new routine or explore things I wouldn't normally do (like yoga I am not bendy lol)

• Like 3

Keeping an eye on this to slowly get the gumption to do it. I feel on the cusp of regressing from the progress on the 6WC.

If nothing else just keep your goals going from the 6WC

• Like 5

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I agree with Tank (as usual...) 

If nothing else do it for the company and support...no gumption required!

Did anyone mention Super Friends? That was one of my favorite cartoons. 

• Like 3

Ranger/Recruit/Professional Do-gooder

Challenge #1Challenge #2, Challenge #3, Challenge #4, Challenge #5, Challenge #6

Challenge #7, Challenge #8Challenge #9, Challenge #10, Challenge #11,

Challenge #12, Challenge #13,  Challenge #14,

Challenge #15, Challenge #16 , Current Challenge

"The Hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy Summers

I'm just beginning to think about this now. I still owe a challenge wrap up, but I'll probably continue using that thread until the next cycle.

Goal 1

Basketball is going to be off for 2-3 weeks which will probably good for my left hip, but I need to make sure I still make time to keep up conditioning.

Time for healing is a great benefit of a bit of time off!

Ever onward!

• Like 3

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Jump in, the water is fine.  Jumping with both feet is preferred.  ;)  

Nothing but support here for anything you want to accomplish.

• Like 3

Rangering since Sept 2015

Goal One:  My fitness goals for this mini-challenge will be similar to the goals I just finished with the 6WC. I will do some form of strength training regimen twice a week. Also, you have all intrigued me with this concept of rucking, so, twice a week, I will either go for a run or fill up a backpack with some bricks and head out. 

Goal Two:  My wife and I usually try to bring at least one item or dish to any gathering that we have prepared ourselves. It usually tends to be healthier than your typical holiday food offering, so if a get-together looks like it will be laden with less-than-ideal food, the meal won't be a total loss. One holiday favorite of mine is eggnog, but the stuff from the store can wreak some serious havoc. Luckily, I found a recipe that I would recommend to anyone looking for a healthier version: I give you bro-nog

Goal Three:  I am pretty blessed that the holidays for us are pretty stress free. My family and in-laws all get along fairly well, and there are rarely any dreaded conversations that I hear can come up at dinner tables. One thing I'd like to do is actively seek out any form of physical activity with my family members when we get together, whether it's chopping wood or helping clean the house up. That way, we can get the added bonus of burning some extra calories while still enjoying our time together. 

Yay for Rucking!!!  It's so wonderful!  Leveled up walking!  Bonus points for Art of Manliness.  I love that website, and I'm obviously not even a man. 

• Like 3

Rangering since Sept 2015

AofM rocks.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 1

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Goal One: Workout happened. It was great. Also woke up and went to bed (mostly) on time.

Goal Two: Did mostly well with eating. However, had a few cookies and waffles when I was extra hungry and paid for it in stomach aches. Not doing that again any time soon. Need more protein snacks for such occasions.

Goal Three: Texted my uncle; he sent me a Christmas card the other day. I was going to call him, but I was at work, and he works evenings. He'll be getting a phone call over the weekend. Also, due to stomach ache, did not do any sewing, but did get to watch Return of the Jedi with the husband.

• Like 5

Consider the following a tentative guide to Rurik's Survival Guide to the Holiday Break.

Goal One:  Minimal family commitment this year due to my work schedule, so other than the gym being closed during my long change class and Christmas day pre-night shift class, I'll stick to my regular Crossfit and rucking routines.  In keeping with the spirit of this mini-challenge though, and wanting to try out something new that I intend to add into the next challenge, I'll aim to add in an outdoor sledgehammer workout after at least half of my rucking sessions.

Goal Two I know this will be my struggling point, if I have one through the holidays.  Since I've already mentioned my unavailability for family events during this holiday season, and end up working both Christmas Eve day and Christmas Day night, I'll avoid the worst of the offenders for, as darkfoxx called them, "food orgy meals."  But I intend to have some fun and enjoy the season a bit too, so I'll keep my indulgences to a minimum, and will strive to continue the nearly year-long habit I've sustained of recording meals.  That always helps me reign in my otherwise out-of-control, Viking-in-a-mead-shop style of eating whenever I find an excuse to.

Goal Three:  My girlfriend is flying home to spend time with her family, and I'll be steady working.  While I'm a bit of a loner and enjoy my Me Time, I have every intention of being mindful of my moods and the prevailing spirit of the season.  I'll try to keep in touch with friends and family, keep busy with writing for the next challenge (with the intention of having most, if not all, of my narrative entries completed by New Years), and maximize the enjoyment of my geeky pursuits with the typical orgy of gaming and reading!  That ought to do nicely.

My goals required some tweaking so as to be semi-weekly check-in worthy, and I tweaked my color scheme a bit because I'm a special snowflake like that.  ;)

(Goal 1) Blood of the North:  Maintain regular Crossfit attendance.  Two rucks per week.  One sledgehammer workout per week.

(Goal 2) Hungering Cold:  Sustain current calorie metrics (2160 calories/day).  Allowing for two minor overages per week (within a standard deviation) or one significant overage.

(Goal 3) A Joyous Yuletide:  Commentary on my personal entertainment through the holiday season, be it gaming, movies, reading, or otherwise.

Well that went better than I expected.  Not nearly as long-winded as I usually am either!

• Like 11

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Current:   Cry Havoc™: Bladesong of the Warhawk

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Oooh. I should tweak, too. 

Goal One: Keep my current 6WC workout schedule. (yoga 1x/week, 1 ruck/week, mini challenges)

• Battleship PvP
  • Staci Yoga Pose Of The Day
  • Darebee Conquer 20
  • Darebee Fitness Advent Calendar
  • "Real" Workout
  • A 5k

Goal Two: Be.Damn.Have food-wise (mostly)

• Birthday week food orgies are cancelled - today will be treated mostly as just another Wednesday Ruck Day; we're going out to dinner on Friday and I'm going to enjoy myself then. I may pick up some steak on the way back home from the ruck - I don't really want birthday chicken. And I want Hasselback potatoes. 
  • Christmas - No idea if I'm cooking or we're going out for Chinese. I think one dinner is all we have.
  • New Years - I'm going to an open bar party with passed appetizers. Totally no promises here.

Goal Three: Enjoy Myself

• Keep up with my crafts (knitting, cross stitching)
  • Have at least two opportunities to dress up like a sparkly girly girl
  • Consider moderation on Birthday and NYE
  • Bake & send my cookies off
  • Finish & send off holiday cards
  • Finally mail Ranger gift
  • Like 5

Level 71 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Rurik, is that right - you eat 2160 cals per day? Is that maintenance? Hope you don't mind me asking!

You are correct, my friend!  2160 is a mid to low cutting metric for me, allowing for around a pound per week in fat loss.  Maintenance would be 2600cal, give or take.  Neither of those really takes into account the ludicrous amount of work I occasionally put in (especially on a two-workout-per-day schedule when I get both a Crossfit WOD and rucking workout in), but I'm focused on burning the last vestiges of belly fat away before starting a bulking program in early 2016.

• Like 3

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Current:   Cry Havoc™: Bladesong of the Warhawk

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

You are correct, my friend! 2160 is a mid to low cutting metric for me, allowing for around a pound per week in fat loss. Maintenance would be 2600cal, give or take. Neither of those really takes into account the ludicrous amount of work I occasionally put in (especially on a two-workout-per-day schedule when I get both a Crossfit WOD and rucking workout in), but I'm focused on burning the last vestiges of belly fat away before starting a bulking program in early 2016.

Ah ok, that makes sense. Thank you!

• Like 1

1b. Acquire at least 10 lifting points per week, where a point is gained for a full set x reps of any given lift.

1e. Fully rest, other than light walking and stretching on Xmas eve and day.  I'm sure my body could use a couple days of rest in a row, but I never manage to rest that much.

I'm joining Rurik in the "the mini has barely started, but I'm already changing my goals" camp.

1b. Lift as much as possible while respecting my fitness hierarchy, which is:

parkour class > (slightly) rock climbing >> power yoga class > lifting >> everything else.

This week, I'm taking 2 parkour classes, going climbing twice, and taking one power yoga class, which means I really shouldn't add lifting unless I want to suck badly at climbing or parkour class later in the week.  But I do want to prioritize lifting over all of the other RangerBrain stuff when lifting won't compromise my other stuff.

1e. I'm getting new fitness toys for Xmas, so screw the idea of a rest day.  I'm totally going to play with the new stuff!

• Like 4

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Rurik, is that right - you eat 2160 cals per day? Is that maintenance? Hope you don't mind me asking!

You are correct, my friend!  2160 is a mid to low cutting metric for me, allowing for around a pound per week in fat loss.  Maintenance would be 2600cal, give or take.  Neither of those really takes into account the ludicrous amount of work I occasionally put in (especially on a two-workout-per-day schedule when I get both a Crossfit WOD and rucking workout in), but I'm focused on burning the last vestiges of belly fat away before starting a bulking program in early 2016.

One of the many benefits of lifting: MOAR BACON AND STEAK!

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Nailed a sweet double PR today, pushing my Thruster 1RM from 60 to 70kg and my Front Squat 1RM from 90 to 110kg, so I'm pretty excited. Workout goal is going great, just a minimal slip on the eating goal yesterday and a lot of fun planning the holiday activities. Off to a promising start!

tumblr_lcl204M9tj1qf0glpo1_500.jpg

• Like 8

Lvl 44 Ranger

HEY! DO YOU LIKE CHEESE?

Goal One:  You’ll likely be traveling to and from friends and family around Christmastime, creating stress and limiting your ability to stick to your fitness routines.  What are your healthy activity and/or fitness plans for the holidays?  I’m going to keep this one simple; I want to make 70,000 steps per week.  1 star/day for 10k+ steps, bonus star at the end of the week for 77k+ steps.

Goal Two:  Christmas and winter often bring with them the opportunity for gorging oneself on comfort food and all of those delicious seasonal favorites.  What is your strategy for dealing with the influx of unhealthy food over the winter break?  Serious, honest tracking every day.  No end of the day what did I eat tracking – Track through the end of the work day no later than lunch time.  Star for tracking, star for pre-tracking.

Goal Three:  The holidays are all about spending time with family and enjoying yourself.  Base this goal around how you intend to most enjoy the break (perhaps featuring a new activity like Holiday Light rucking), and include your preferred way of battling holiday stress!  The last 18 months have been insane.  Now I’m in DC for a year, and I just DON’T feel like getting my act together for anything.  But for me, drifting along is high stress.  I’ve decided not to go back to CA for the holidays (more details in my previous challenge thread).  So – what will I do for fun and relaxation?  Finish the knitted scarf I’ve started.  Find a crocheted hat pattern.  Make a big-picture plan of key events for 2016.  Visit somewhere fun in the city.

I'm going to track in my previous challenge thread

• Like 3

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Goal 1: Yesterday was a rest day, but I stretched out my hips and did some accessory moves for my weaker muscles. Went to bed a bit late, but still within the hour.

Goal 2: Food was on point. Found a good deal of willpower to push through cravings. They should wane out now.

Goal 3: Played some MTG while watching The Phantom Menace with the husband. Not sure how I'm going to watch the last two movies before dinner and TFA tonight.

• Like 3

friends-harry-potter-hermione-granger-ro

Goal One – Quidditch Practice with Harry (3/10)
Keep up with my 5 day a week half marathon training plan. Tuesday was a rest day, Wednesday was crosstraining. Both achieved! 60 minutes of cardio kickboxing, and 30 10lb snatches.

Goal Two – Chocolate Frogs with Ron (3/14)
I need to get back into the habit of logging my calories honestly. Two more days of logging in MyFitnessPal. Three in a row!

Goal Three – Study Time with Hermione (0/2)
Make two things for fun, for me, that aren’t holiday gifts already planned or stock for my blog store. Still nope. But I will count Christmas baking this weekend!! That's totally for me and my pleasure alone :D

• Like 5

Level 24 Frost Archer ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Current Challenge: therealkat :: a witty challenge title appears!

MyFitnessPal || Strava || Endomondo || SmashRun || Twitch

I Instagram. I tweet. I cosplay. And I'm on Facebook

update on my fitness goodness:

did leg day yesterday so my legs are crying for mercy today lol

I have been focusing on my goal of becoming fluent in Spanish, so I have been watching movies in spanish, listening to spanish movies, using duolingo, listening to pimsler's spanish when i go walking and speaking spanish with my wife(Spanish is her 1st language) when I can frankenstein a sentence together. 

But as far as food I have just been eating alot of salad(spinach) for lunch loaded with as many jalapenos, cucumbers and other goodness as I can stack on it.

(Think cobb salad)

so overall it has been going well

• Like 3

Goal #1:

• Got in 2 days worth of Bartitsu practice, one hour total, whilst recovering from my recent sickness. Only one more day to go, but I'm enjoying the idea of daily practice.
  • Practiced box breathing during both training sessions 

Goal #2:

• Eat Paleo with an 80/20 rule and/or have 3 variances during the week. My variances wont be as strict as a normal Paleo 80/20, but, I've reached 2/3 so far. Damned Dark chocolate covered brownies did me in twice!

Goal #3:

• Spent some time with the wolf pups after I was healhty. Played Gauntlet with Race for a while and wrestled with with everyone the later that night. I swear, Orin is a little mini-me. I caught him trying to whack things with my wooden cane, lol! Another reason to learn Bartitsu, I can teach my kids when they are older :)

So far, so good. Being sick sucks ass, but I'm back and ready to get after it.

Wolf

• Like 6

Wild Wolf- Level 10 (Respec)

Class: Operator/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 196#

Stats: STR: 28 / DEX: 20 / END: 21 / CON: 27 / WIS: 31 / CHA: 30

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: The Scout Who Outwitted the Lifter of the Dead

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

mummies_alive__by_blckfeather-d7lx2cw.jp

I remember this show. (I think..... )

Goal Three is the most tricky. Apparently it is considered bad form to murder your own children, so I need to get some activities for them to do. I will be buying them some dive so we can do some tabletop rpg (probably D&D 3.5 or Pathfinder). We are already planning some pool trips and if the weather is pleasant enough some bushwalking and possible camping. Got those lovely Snowy mountains to check out.

Why not play 5th? Sorry, if that's inapropriate. I enjoy the heck out of it.

giphy.gif

YES, Yes, yes!!!

I remember both of those :)

61ch-VseGqL._SY300_.jpg

I LOVED THAT

I vaguely remember Thundarr.

Ima just leave this here:

Awwwwww, the name didn't do anything for me, but then I hit the play button and it was all back... Dang.

1e. I'm getting new fitness toys for Xmas, so screw the idea of a rest day.  I'm totally going to play with the new stuff!

HELL YEAHHH.... wonder if I get any toys like that...

Okay... I am struggling to find my footing. Had some "I just need something QUICK" food choices the last few days... but I'll be joining you guys even if late.

I will just have to give you the German Trailer, 'cause.

So I'll go with

Trixi, original name was Gadget Heckwench (wfheck?) she's the creative, intelligent, "think outside the box? I'll invent something so you don't even need a box anymore" mouse. She's made all the gear, and usually has a few tricks up her overall sleaves.

She'll help me keep a mobile mind in this difficult time (school's out, holiday, only one PT session, no swimming on the 20th).

Samson, (Monty) is the guy with the serious cheese addiction. Remember him? Yeah... cheese is my crux as well, but mostly I struggle with not taking care of me lately, things happen, left, right and center (barfing children only being the top of the iceberg) so I generally end up being tired and stressed and in no condition to go and cook healthy food, when noone else even wants it. Then it's just the easy people pleaser meal of frozen pizza or sandwiches. So: Make good choices, This year's food balance is SO INCREADIBLY MUCH better than last year's .... make good choices, you know you feel better for it: plus better choices, means more food (just less calorie dense)

Summi, (aka Zipper) he's that fly guy. You propably expected one of the chipmunks here, but no, I rarely go for the main characters, it's usually the support characters that have the better stories anyway, and this guy... I bet he's got all the fun. I mean loyal, he is, and helps his friends out, he does these amazing feats sometimes, and ... you can't tell me he's not enjoying himself.

So yeah... this might not make sense to anyone but me (I blame the late hour 0:40+ is not good) this is my challenge. Will edit/post again once I'm conscious again.

Morag

PS yeah, my sig is still a mess. I know. Sorry.

• Like 2

Katrin the Morag Lvl 22 Cadet, half klingon, c-licensed trainer, mother of two, gaming nerd

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50