Hi from a new Aussie!

G'day folks!

I'm John, a 27 y/o student from Perth in Western Australia.

I was really inspired by the most recent post about Joe's incredible achievement. It especially resounds with me as I am of a similar weight to him and find it really hard to get up and going when it comes to getting fit.

I've always been quite chubby but also somewhat fit. I have a LOT of muscle but unfortunately have been living with a shoulder disability that makes a lot of workouts hard and my general day-to-day life pretty hard to overcome.

I've been looking at and trying lots of things to do with fitness for many years but have never had much luck and in the last few years have basically become totally sedentary, sitting at my computer for most of the day, only getting up to work at my part time job or go to uni to do courses that might get me a "career"

In late 2009 I got sick of doing IT and submitted an application for the only University in Perth that does Archaeology, which is annoyingly the hardest to get into but thought i'd take a chance. I was accepted and was given a HUGE motivation boost to make my life what it should be.

Now that i'm one year down in my degree (and studying languages and mathematics/physics in my spare time) i'm more encouraged than ever to fix my eating and fitness habits which is why i've been following NF.

With my disability I have had to give up many hobbies and sports that I used to attend 3 - 4 times a week, mainly Scuba Diving and Historical European Swordfighting. Now i'm determined to not let what i've realised have become pretty lazy excuses stop me from achieving what I want.

I look forward to getting to know everyone here, to improving my weight and eating habits and hopefully one day inspiring someone to make a change to their lives like I hope to.

Apologies for the excessively wordy intro ;)

John

Kegzilla

Level 1 'oomie Adventurer

STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Thanks for the welcome and yay for another Perthie! :P

At the moment i'm still working on my goals but this year i'm really going to try and get a couple of my friends who are either overweight like me or just unfit and try and get some group fitness stuff happening, especially since we all do sword fighting together so know what we need to work on :)

Kegzilla

At the moment i'm still working on my goals but this year i'm really going to try and get a couple of my friends who are either overweight like me or just unfit and try and get some group fitness stuff happening, especially since we all do sword fighting together so know what we need to work on :)

That's a great idea! And be sure to have a couple (especially at least one) really specific goals in mind. It'll be easier then to put yourself on a track to achieve it, since you know what exactly you're trying to achieve. :tongue:

I wanna swordfight too...

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle

If you have the inspiration, you have the talent. Strive to be happy. :)

More swordfighting is always a good thing :)

As for beers, I myself am mainly a Guinness, Scotch or boutique beer drinker. As for WA... Anything really. Little Creatures has some damn good WA beers but I don't really go to pubs all that much so I honestly have no idea what the average person is drinking.

Kegzilla

It's a character called Mike from a UK comedy show. This particular character is a complete gun nut and never really went out but got dressed up to go to a rave and ended up covered in glow sticks (Ah the 90's) and dancing to a techno remix of the A-Team theme song.

Seriously though, watch the whole series :P

Kegzilla

Guest Snake McClain

So we have an aussie, who is a sword fighting scuba diving, multi-language speaking archeoligist? THIS IS F***ING AWESONME!

Welcome aboard and great luck in your endeavors. Although i will say luck has nothing to do with it.

I'm sorry, but i still don't get what your Avatar is, even with the helpful clip posted above?

As Kegzilla said, he is Mike. More specifically, he is Nick Frost. It's from the show Spaced which was, to my knowledge, the breakout show for Simon Pegg/Nick Frost/Edgar Wright (of Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead, etc). It's awesome and you should watch it, especially if you're a fan of incredibly nerdy cultural references with widely varying degrees of subtlety.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Guest Snake McClain
As Kegzilla said, he is Mike. More specifically, he is Nick Frost. It's from the show Spaced which was, to my knowledge, the breakout show for Simon Pegg/Nick Frost/Edgar Wright (of Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead, etc). It's awesome and you should watch it, especially if you're a fan of incredibly nerdy cultural references with widely varying degrees of subtlety.

Ive also heard this show is amazing.

Welcome!

It's a character called Mike from a UK comedy show. This particular character is a complete gun nut and never really went out but got dressed up to go to a rave and ended up covered in glow sticks (Ah the 90's) and dancing to a techno remix of the A-Team theme song.

Seriously though, watch the whole series :P

TRUTH. :D I can't hear the A-team theme without thinking of Mike and his rave dance.

"Hey, hey, hey, now. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean 'cause remember: No matter where you go...there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai