Starting to rebel

Hey all

Three years ago, weighing 114kg (sorry, metric for me), I figured this couldn't go on. Joined the gym and started on cardio for the first few months and then added super-circuit with machines. Did that for two years (and been pretty good about it) and lost 17kg and can fit into a 36 pants again. But, last year, still exercising regularly, couldn't lose any more weight. Major demotivating factor.

Still need to lose another 10kg to get to my ideal weight of 87kg - and struggling. Swapped one of my cardio days for swimming - with interval training - and I feel pretty awesome at how my swimming fitness has improved, but no further weight loss.

Tried free weights today - will swap the supercircuit for this and see how we do.

Diet not too bad - relatively low carb and love my veggies and fruit. Eat plenty of red meat protein, chicken and fish don't excite me. Don't drink much alcohol - occassional glass of wine - and drink at least 2l H2O daily.

Really want to get that remaining 10kg off - plan is to be at 87kg by Christmas.

Do not worry if you have built your castles in the air.
They are where they should be.
Now put the foundations under them
. - Henry David Thoreau

Welcome! I'm pretty new here myself, but you'll find lots of support and helpful guidance here.

Diet not too bad - relatively low carb and love my veggies and fruit. Eat plenty of red meat protein, chicken and fish don't excite me. Don't drink much alcohol - occassional glass of wine - and drink at least 2l H2O daily.

Weight loss is mostly about your diet - so I would start there. Have you tried keeping a food journal for a few days to see what you are really taking in? For example - how would you define "love your veggies and fruit" (bolding emphasis mine)? It may feel like your diet is pretty low carb, but there is a lot of sugar in fruit. With myself for example, I'm trying to stay around 100g of carbs a day, and a single apple (at 22g) can really put a dent in that. I like them, so I eat them anyway - I just plan around it now. I can either have an apple during my afternoon snack, or my evening snack, but not both.

Anyway, welcome to the rebellion - and keep us up to date on your progress!

Welcome to the Rebellion! I know there are definitely people here who have hit that same plateau when trying to lose weight. Steve may have written about it in some of his articles, but I'd suggest just browsing the forum and/or creating your own thread to ask people, and I'm sure you'll find some answers to help you along.

I don't personally have a lot of experience with attempting weight loss, but I do know that as you're exercising, you're building muscle, which weighs more than fat. So your body composition might be changing but you could still weigh about the same. So body fat % might be something you'd want to look at too, as that can be helpful on your quest. Just another thought. :)

Best of luck!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle

If you have the inspiration, you have the talent. Strive to be happy. :)