My mother died in October (at age 85).  My daughter got married in October, and she and her new husband are starting to talk about having kids.  This has prompted some new soul searching on my part - and some thinking about what I want to accomplish in my life.  And some thinking about what I want to BE as a grandma.  (Disclaimer - my daughter is not yet pregnant and doesn't plan to have kids for 2 years, which gives me time to lose 40 pounds .....)

I was a "cool mom."  My daughter looks back on her childhood with fondness - at horseback riding and rock climbing and hockey and soccer and cheerleading and theater and Girl Scouts and videogames - and appreciates how she had freedom and support (I was involved in everything but cheer) to do a lot of different things.  That kinda ended when she went to college and I began to slide into habits of an empty nester.  I gradually started to internalize the messages that say "you shouldn't be doing that" or "you shouldn't dress like that now that you're over 40/50/60/whatever."  

Truth is, I want to have FUN and BE FUN.  I want to be the grandma that shows my grandkids how to do cartwheels and handstands.  Takes them rock climbing.  Knows the names of all the constellations and birds .... and who will dig for worms, go swimming, take them hiking, and can help them find well-hidden geocaches.  I don't want to be like all of the grandmas in my family (who are, unfortunately, sedentary lumps perched on top of atrophied, skinny legs) who sit around doing needlecraft, or bake a lot of unhealthy foods, or sit in front of TV or computer.  I want to beat the expectations of my family and avoid the stereotypes of what a middle-aged woman does and how she dresses and acts.

Specific goals will evolve over time, but .... there's the current list!!!

Fitness

• Lose weight and gain muscle (127 lbs and 21% BF by May 2017 - when my daughter will graduate with her Ph.D.)
  • Do a chin up unassisted (again)
  • Do a crow pose
  • Do a handstand

Travel

• Go to Greece
  • Go to Rome
  • Go to London

Do the Unexpected

• Blackbelt in karate
  • Do a Zombies Run
  • Do the ZR Virtual Race
  • Volunteer as a zombie at a Zombie Run
  • Do a bubble run
  • Do a color run
  • Do an obstacle course run
  • Do a 5K
  • Do a 10K
  • Do a half-marathon
  • Bike to work (at least during decent weather ....)

Keep Learning

• Master's Degree
  • Doctorate
  • Learn modern Greek
  • Get my Personal Trainer Certification

Defeat the Fashion Police

• Wear tights and a tunic
  • Wear tights with a skirt
  • Like 5

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

You would make an awesome Grandma. Love the new epic quest.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 1

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

You would make an awesome Grandma. Love the new epic quest.

Hi, Thom!  And thanks.  I am looking forward to providing a wise woman sort of adult in their lives.  But with a twist.  

I ordered my Christmas/Yule outfit:  Skirt, sweater, and tights!!!  I have boots or clogs to go with the black/grey/white, red theme.  

• Like 1

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

Sounds good, am doing some reflecting on my role as a father the past few days. I haven't been doing as good a job as I would like. Need to revamp the 'old man' being back on NF has been helping with that.

• Like 2

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

That is an awesome plan!

You know with those goals you fit right in with a lot of folks over at GMB - quite a bunch of them (including a trainer) are in their fifties and sixties and do a lot of cool stuff I can only dream about. My consolation is that I have a couple of years to catch up to them. :)

For me, it was one of the turning points to find out exactly why I wanted (or needed) to get stronger and fitter. Until then, I had been pretty much floundering about and getting nowhere.

Oh, and once you are already in London ;) , might I suggest a trip up to Glasgow for a session or two with an amazing trainer who just LOVES anything handstand related... :)

• Like 1

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

Wow. What an AWESOME Epic Quest title and idea. Very similar to my own, personal prepping to become a mother goals (won't be happening for a few more years yet).

I'm so excited to see you work your way through these great goals! :) Break the mold!

When hubby and I decided to have kids, I set out to get in better shape and eat very, very well.  I think it really paid off - I had an easy delivery and I went home from the hospital in a pair of regular jeans.  

Sometimes, it is not easy to see results, but I realized yesterday that - although my weight has been steady, I've lost body fat and gained muscle.  My BF% had been in the low 30's .... yesterday, I noticed on the scale that it is reading BF% at 28.8%.  

• Like 4

94bb8109a3f0fa4b60e89b38d629fbf6.jpg

First success. Shortish skirt and tights.

Sent via two swallows carrying a message in a coconut.

• Like 7

Looking great! :encouragement:

Merry Christmas, Chris-Tien Jinn!

:cheerful:  :cheerful:  :cheerful:

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!!!!!

2015 was a year of highs and lows.  Some joys (my daughter's wedding) and some lows (my mother died), but I have persevered.  I've done my best to keep eating a quality diet, get in cardio workouts most days, and strength train 2 - 3 times per week.  Especially during the fall, I had not kept track of weight or body composition.  I didn't work hard at tracking food and stopped counting calories.

And low and behold, good habits won out.

I lost 3.5 pounds in 2015 and changed body composition drastically - down 5% BF!!!  I am officially in the "normal" range for my gender and height!!!!

Next year, I aim to accelerate that trend, but I am pleased to have made some progress last year.  

• Like 3

Just trying this here ......

bazjohnson.200.png

• Like 4

I'm back??  

OMG - what a year!!!  

Deciding if I should start yet another battle log or keep going with this one, which is my most recent??

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

31 minutes ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

I'm back??  

OMG - what a year!!!  

Deciding if I should start yet another battle log or keep going with this one, which is my most recent??

Welcome back!

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27