Parenting/ Coaching Woot!

My 6-year-old daughter has been taking dance and gymnastics lessons for a couple of years now.  She's good at some things, but struggles with others. The other day she was lamenting her inabiility to do a gymnastics bridge.  There was much crying involved. The word 'never' was spoken many times.  So I did what any father would do: calm her down, give her a good snuggle, and talk about how long it took me to learn bridging.  I told her about all the pushups I did, all the times I had to bend back over an ottoman because I couldn't get up off the floor... no good.  I still had a puddle of crying six-year old, wailing about how she'd never be able to do a bridge.

Then I had a thunk. (Nota bene: a 'thunk' is a thought that makes an audible sound as it slaps you upside the head with its obviousness.)  "Duh... form check!"  I had her try to do a bridge. Sure enough, her hands and feet were too far out from her body.  She could get her hips and back up, but couldn't raise her shoulders.  A couple of slight adjustments and...

Boom.  Full bridge.  She couldn't hold it for more than a few seconds, but it was a bridge.  Instant happy kid.  All the next day she kept flopping down on the floor and busting out another bridge.  There's been noticeable improvement. I just wish I could see her teacher's face when she does that in class...

• Like 4

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson